171, Water Street
Saint John's, NF A1C1B1Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biancas.net/
- Phone: 7097269016
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm, Sunday: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Peter LaPier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining options abound at Bianca"s in areas such as The Cigar Room with harbourview deck, The Underground Wine Cellar where you can share dinner with some of the worlds finest vintages, the Baby Grand Room complete with the signature piano(entertainer list also can be provided), and Mezzanine Room on the second floor overlooking historic Water Street.
- Private Party Contact: Bianca 7097269016
A word from Bianca's
While the burgeoning restaurant scene in St. John's has witnessed epic change during the past two decades, the one constant of culinary perfection is Bianca's on Water Street. The top notch kitchen amazes every lunch and evening with tantalizing menu items and daily features pulled from the chef's penchant for turning fresh local ingredients to plated master pieces. The food style is best summed up by owner Bianca Tzanov as, "regional avant-garde style that has Mediterranean roots". Pair the kitchen magic with one of the most celebrated wine cellars in Eastern Canada (Perennially recognized by Wine Spectator), and you'll soon understand why Bianca's has become as iconic as icebergs and whales to the fabric of Newfoundland dining. Whether a visitor or local, all agree, Bianca's is a destination not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bianca's - Best Restaurants in St. John's ›
Bianca's reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)special occasion (20)romantic (19)notable wine list (16)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Myself and my wife thoroughly enjoyed a night out at Biancas to celebrate our anniversary. The food was amazing coupled with great service and a nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for some great food.Special Features:
- The standardLove2eatDined on 10/3/2014I have eaten at many fine dining restaurants around St. John's, but this was my first time at one of the longest standing in the city. With this in mind, Bianca is obviously the restaurant that set the bar...high. Fantastic food and atmosphere. I will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFisherLawDined on 10/1/2014This has become a great favorite of mine and my employer. We will hope to continue to make this our spot for work functions. We each have also attended on a personal level with our significant others and it has been a wonderful experience for all parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The food was superb. We would highly recommend this restaurant. The scallops were better than the world famous scallops we had a week before in Digby, Nova Scotia. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSofiefredDined on 9/6/2014The crabcakes the best we ever had and the delicious tomato puree on top. Bianca's desserts is worth a trip by itself. Very spacious room setting. Very hihgly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine SelectionAlfredoDined on 8/30/2014Food was good and well presented. Wine selection by the glass was very limited, would have liked to see more Canadian wines offered by the glass. Would prefer to select bottle wine from menu rather then the wall of wines.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Newfoundland.DontheduckDined on 8/29/2014Couldn't get a reservation at Raymond's so this was our back up. Excellent choice! Great food and service. Low key atmosphere. Tables are set apart nicely. Good for conversation And you can't hear your neighbors. Excellent halibut special! Great selection of wine. Terrific deserts Wish it were closer to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceusalienedDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant staff seemed to be overextended on our visit. Our waitress mentioned a large group in the basement. Service was friendly but slow to present menus, take orders and deliver the food. Once presented, the food was good although one of the hot appetizers arrived warm. The atmosphere was pleasant with tables well spaced , carpeted floors and acoustic ceiling to control the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JGBDMBDined on 8/16/2014The halibut was amazing! The best meal at Bianca's ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOzzyDined on 8/9/2014I had one of the best meals I have ever experienced. Outstanding meal. I would highly recommend this resturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Pleasant and not overdone service with great seafood (halibut superb)Special Features:
- lovely eveningalwaysbusinessDined on 8/1/2014Bianca's doesn't have a wiine list they have a wine wall. Fun to wander around and choose your wine. There were 6 of us and the food was good. Some was great -- the halibut was very fresh and cooked to perfection. The service is what really sets this place apart. Not intrusive but just always there when needed. It is a very nice upscale but relaxed spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too efficienttime2dineDined on 7/30/2014For a fine dining establishment the efficiency of the service was little over the top ...detracted from the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot in St JohnsgarbobDined on 7/10/2014We really enjoyed Biancha's. I like the pick your own wine from the lineup, there are some great choices. Ate there twice and had the veal cheeks both times, they were awsome.Special Features:
- A CONSISTANT FAVORITEpartridgepegVIPDined on 7/4/2014It's been in St. John's for quite a while, and we have dined here before. The restaurant is classy without being stuffy, and the service is always above average. The food is well prepared and includes French and local cooking. A very nice night out, and a short walk to the shops and bars that all stay open late.Special Features:
- The following 128 reviews are from the Bianca's reviews archive.
- Special dinnerFine4DandNmeDined on 7/2/2014We did enjoy our dinner for our 49th wedding anniversary - just the two of us. It was mid week so the restaurant was quiet, so we received our server's detailed attendance. My husband has a background in fine dining and he was especially pleased that the word "entreé" was used correctly to denote an appetizer and not a main course. The food was absolutely delicious and quite copious, and served in a very appetizing manner. The wine seemed expensive but, actually, our server made an excellent choice for us and we were very pleased. We had some good conversation also and had a very relaxed, lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top marks on all frontsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Food quality, service and atmosphere was outstanding during our recent visit. I have dined at a number of the other top names downtown recently duing business functions but I take my Wife out to Bianca's. The food and atmosphere out-did all the others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Our visit to Bianca's was a positive one; the atmosphere and service were very good. However, for some of us, the food was disappointing. The beet soup was bland and the duck was not as flavourful as expected. The desserts too were underwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, classic diningOtherwisestayhomeDined on 6/24/2014A very good, convenient, classy and unpretentious restaurant with a selection of entrees to suit all discerning diners. Both the beef tenderloin and the halibut were cooked to perfection and carefully presented. Happy to recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurancOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Excellent service, excellent food. Lives up to its good reputation. Accommodating for food intolerance and sensitivities such as dairy and gluten as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Dinnerfoodie2Dined on 6/21/2014Comparable to other "nice" dining establishments in St. John's. The food was very good. Service was slow but the staff were very nice. Seemed to be under staffed. Nice touch to pick your own wine from the "wine wall". Decor could use some updating. Overall nice evening but would not rush back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bianca'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The ambiance and wine list were both exceptional. However, the lamb was overcooked which was a disappointment. Still tender and tasty.Special Features:
- So much food!NoodlesDined on 6/15/2014Our overall evening was OK. Staff were friendly, well meaning but generally a bit lost, it seemed. The lighting was bright enough to cause you me squint. They were very accommodating in dimming them but it still seemed as though the after-meal "clean-up" lights were heavily used in the dining area vs what appeared to be more appropriate ambiance chandeliers. Personal wine preference, I would still prefer to have a printed wine list. I can peruse wines displayed on a wall at the liquor store... In terms of the food preparation and presentation, it was excellent! Fantastic flavours, perfectly cooked. There was just so much of it! I will admit that I have many friends who would be thrilled by this but for us, the servings seemed 2B doubledSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but...FishfeederDined on 6/15/2014I was surprised by the dining room...not quite up to fine dining standards (cheap curtains, stains on the institutional- like drop ceiling...) The wait staff were friendly but seemed new and not very polished. The appetizers came out after over an hour...an apology was offered and they were not charged to us. The food quality was very good, in particular the crab cakes. The mains were generous portions and similarly of high quality.
- AnesthDined on 6/13/2014We had a great experience food was excellent and the service also. We recommend it again to anyone. It did meet my expectationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tickle your taste buds YUM!!😊Luv2DineDined on 5/17/2014We booked our anniversary dinner here. We wanted something new& we SCORED!! We ordered 3appetizers to share the Scallops,Seared Foie Gras,& Rock Crab Cake. We've had scallops&crab cakes before but these were delicious like trying them for the first time and loved it. We tried the Seared Foie Gras for the first time&were DELIGHTED Very tasty!!! For dinner my husband had the Beef Tenderloin which was cooked perfectly he loves steak but this time he was very impressed. I ordered the Magret Duck I have never eaten duck before& it was Devine when I try duck again it will be compared to the Magret Duck we brought left overs & the children loved it they never had duck before& they wanted more 4 kids 2 love it you know it's good 5stars all the waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual gourmet dining at its bestJMMMDined on 5/16/2014Bianca's sets the standard in St. John's for gourmet dining. Food is ALWAYS top notch. Service is fantastic, but friendly and relaxed. Some gourmet restaurants go too far with formal service. Not Bianca's - the servers genuinely want you to enjoy the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!Bonv1vaintVIPDined on 5/14/2014The steak and halibut were fantastic. Another great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smilessneaksDined on 5/10/2014Food was very well prepared and service was timely and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed the evening there!NesserDined on 5/3/2014Fantastic service and a wonderful meal. Lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Anniversary DinnerStjohnsgirlDined on 4/26/2014We had a fantastic meal at Bianca's last night. The food was top shelf. Service was attentive without being over the top. A wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Amazing Dinnerdarp123Dined on 4/25/2014The food, service, atmosphere, just everything made our dinner date wonderful. Look forward to returning the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceTampaDined on 4/24/2014The food (lamb rack) we had was superbly prepared and presented. The waiter even though of asking out allergies when it wasn't even mentioned to him. The table spacing made it easy to carry-on a conversation without interfering with neighbours. An interesting wine presentation - no list but a bottle of each selection carefully arranged ( with pricing) on one wall.Special Features:
- Great place for lunchHappyDinerDined on 4/23/2014I went to Bianca's for lunch with my daughter. It was my first visit. Everything was perfect!! The food and the service was exceptional! Will definitely be back and I recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerf89kDined on 4/14/2014I had a very nice dinner at Bianca's. The service was excellent (we had to wait a while for my dish, but only because I ordered well done lamb - and it takes a while to cook that!). Very nice meal!Special Features:
- A special occasion dinnerluvtoeatoutDined on 3/29/2014We were really excited about eating at Bianca as they had excellent reviews. The decor seemed a bit dated and having just paper handed as menu cards did not fit well overall. (Although that could just be because their menu changes quite often.) The starters are fantastic. Most of the others did enjoy their main course. The rack of lamb was very bland. Not a fan of the beans (seemed canned?) served with the lamb. The fish was decent. Chicken a bit dry. Overall - I guess we just expected more and were a bit disappointed. Service was reasonable but not exceptional. Lighting was a bit disconcerting - two in our party had spotlights focused on them all through dinner. Dessert was average. Spacious hall. Exposed kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectLenClarkeDined on 3/22/2014This restaurant has been perfect since the day it first opened. Staff are the best trained in the entire City. Food is always simply perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- intimate night outwelovegreatfoodDined on 3/15/2014This was our second visit to this restaurant. The restaurant was not that busy (we dined early) so it was quiet with only two other tables. The staff from the moment you entered until you left tended to your every need and were very friendly and professional. The dining pace was relaxed and unrushed. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not pleasedsandraDined on 3/8/2014we were given lunch menu rather than dinner when I questioned the menu no change was made as they didnt even look just said oh some things are always different and sugfested it was still dinner menu. then we were advised, after placing our order, it was lunch menu but same items on it ( a burger at this type of restaurant , for dinner?) so we in fact never saw true prices, and never saw a complete menu what replaced the burger on lunch menu, on the dinner menu, had to be something food not cooked as ordered, medium well steak had blood in it yukk i ordered a chicken dish thinking it was 18 dollars as was on the menu, charged 30 dolalrs as the dinner menu which we never did receive would have shown 30 overpriced
- Excellent food and serviceDuaneDined on 3/1/2014Excellent food and service for a very reasonable price. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.