419 Glenwood Ave
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bia-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 9197550755
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday, 5pm - 11pm
Solas Lounge (2nd Floor):
Thursday - Saturday, 10pm - 2am
Solas Roof (Third Floor):
Monday & Tuesday: 4pm - midnight
Wednesday - Saturday: 4pm - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dan Yeager
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bia Restaurant offers full-service catering. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.755.0755 for information on our catering offerings.
- Private Party Facilities: Solas can accommodate 8 to 200 people depending on menu and/or dinner or cocktail party. Solas has 1 private dining room on the second floor that has audio video capabilities for up to 40 people or can be divided for up to parties of 14. Business, Anniversaries, Birthdays to Weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Director 8772772353
- Entertainment: Bia Restaurant and Solas have a state of the art sound system throughout all three levels. Our second level also has an illuminated dance floor. Visit our website for information on our upcoming entertainment events.
- Special Events: Located in Solas, Bia Restaurant has the capability to host any type of special event in the three-story venue in downtown Raleigh. From casino nights to wedding receptions, Bia Restaurant and Solas can accommodate parties from 8 to 800 people, and also offers private dining rooms for all occasions.
- Cross Street: Glenwood and Tucker
- Public Transit: The R Line: Glenwood Avenue at Tucker Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Curbside valet service available every night for $4.
Free street parking after 5pm on weekdays and all weekends.
Parking deck at 510 Glenwood Avenue, with entrances on Glenwood Avenue, Johnson Street, and Tucker Street.
A word from Bia Restaurant
Bia Restaurant offers an exceptional culinary experience that features modern American cuisine and a large selection of fine wines, beers, and specialty cocktails. Our menu highlights simple, delicious North Carolina ingredients including vegetables, sustainable seafood, and steak, and we make almost everything from scratch. Located on the first floor of Solas in the Glenwood South district, Bia Restaurant features a beautiful dining room and open-air patio that is perfect for any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bia Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- servicegordonDined on 1/27/2014These days truly the only distinction amongst restaurants or any kind of a service is the service and unfortunately we got there we ride few minutes early for a reservation time no hostess and bartender who was looking after a customer saw used there but made no effort to seat us or make us feel welcome. Once we got seated he was our waiter and he was very friendly and the service was good from that point on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, spotty serviceNoFoLauraVIPDined on 1/27/2014this was out second time here. The food is always spot on, but the service was a struggle. Frankly, if we didn't know how good the food was going to be from our previous visit, we would have walked out. 15 minutes after taking a drink order we were still waiting for 2 beers and one glass of wine.Special Features:
- The food was very good, theMsMelDined on 1/25/2014The food was very good, the service slow, they are not prepared for large groups. Would go back again though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic SceneRomanceNightDined on 1/17/2014My wife and I went to Bia this past weekend on a Friday night. I didnt realize it was Ladies Night. There were others dining, but our table was perfect for an intimate dinner. The service was excellent and the food was phenomenal. I can't wait to take her there again. We stayed and had a few drinks upstairs at Solas. The total experience was great!!!! 5 stars....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad servicePhilDined on 1/11/2014I should first admit that I am not impressed by waiters who wish to show off their prodigious memory skills by never writing down what one has ordered. Unfortunately, my lack of faith in this method of faithfully transmitting one's order to the kitchen was justified as the shrimp that I ordered on my Caesar salad miraculously turned into chicken. In addition, the chicken appeared to have been cooked several days before (both cold and leather-like in texture, not to mention tasteless). I had to ask for salt and pepper (the food was not seasoned) and bread appeared at the table only during the main course. Finally I had to ask that they turn down the incredibly loud music as one could not hear one's neighbor without shouting.Special Features:
- Staff was friendly but sparse.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Staff was friendly but sparse. Tuna tapas were disappointing. The chef did come out and apologize for losing our dinner ticket. Crab cakes were AMAZING. Overall we had an enjoyable time but would not repeat our visit.Special Features:
- Our first visit, but not our lastjnicbradDined on 12/23/2013Found this restaurant listed on Open Table although I had driven past it hundreds of times without paying much attention. Went on December 23rd for dinner. It was very quiet, practically had the place to ourselves. The food was delicious: I had lamb lollipops, mac and cheese and bbq chicken salad. All were fantastic. My husband had the seafood extravaganza Cipppino and said it was delicious, father in law had salmon and gave it a thumbs up. Our service was impeccable, our waiter helped us pick out a wine that we enjoyed. All in all, we had a wonderful experience. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont go....thefoxDined on 12/14/2013I went there this past Saturday night with my wife for her birthday . My wife has ovarian cancer and are time together is limited so I planned to make the best of it while we have it. I used open table to book the table...They sat us next to the door , it was cold. I ordered drinks and it took 20 minutes to get 2 beers. I think my waitress stoped by 3 times in 1 1/2 hr that's including to drop off the food and app. I didn't say anything about are lack of service. Just got ready to go and a manager walks up to me and hands me a gift card and asks us to come back again.So in closing if your time is important to you and you like good service don't go there!Special Features:
- Not more than goodReatwellDined on 12/12/2013We only did the restaurant and not the "club scene" associated with the restaurant. The interior is inviting and raised my expectations that really were not met. The piped in music was excessively loud and there was a group dinner there that also detracted from the ambiance. I would ask if there are groups booked before making a reservation. My wife loved the prime rib and my flounder was good as well. Having said that the meal did not significantly depart from what you would make at home-good but no better. It just didn't have that extra touch to set it apart. I suspect you will likely get a good meal there every time but why go there when there are so many better restaurants?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedmarchingantVIPDined on 11/23/2013Menu is good, but the staff isn't what you want from a restaurant like this. Barkeep couldn't handle 5 drinks. The waitress wasn't what you'd expect. Steak was way over cooked and they did nothing about it. Small plates were really good though. I would say if you like a loud energetic scene with a good selection for tapas, then this is your spot. Not a place for foodies. Definitely not for families.Special Features:
- Nice Restaurant, poor foodJohnPDined on 11/23/2013I was having trouble getting reservations at the last minute on a Saturday evening and stumbled upon Bia. I arrived around 630pm to an empty restaurant but a rowdy upstairs. A club called Solas sits a top of the restaurant. I thought at 630pm, it would be quiet. Unfortunately there was a bat mitzvah going on upstairs and it was incredibly loud. I ordered a small plate which turned out to be pretty tasty but that would be the end of good food. The entrees were mediocre. The rack of lamb lacked a sauce and the flounder was just bad. Most dishes were plain. Not acceptable for the price. The service and ambiance were fantastic but we had the staff's full attention being one of the only patrons there. Like the place, food needs a revamp.Special Features:
- Fun with a touch of classPerlaDined on 11/14/2013My two BFFs joined me, and from the moment we arrived everyone was very attentive, provided information, included a tour of three levels and we decided to dine on the rooftop. A great setting with a view of the evening sky, downtown lights, and the feeling of being open, though enclosed to protect from the surprises our Autumn weather can offer. The food, seafood for us - like the Cioppino, was great, followed by desserts, and not one disappointed. Overall, a great place with a great staff, and great food. One of my friends is talking about returning to share a romantic wedding anniversary for their 30th year celebration. That good!!! And Thursday (10pm) is Noche Latina - so bring your dancing shoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a wonderful time withmarfDined on 11/12/2013had a wonderful time with friends for a friend's birthday night out. will return again soon.Special Features:
- Looking forward to going backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2013It's always a good sign when your patrons start working on plans to come back before they even leave the restaurant. Delightful food and exquisite service, combined with what we found to be the perfect ambience...we were tempted to make reservations before we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueDiningDivaDined on 10/26/2013The live music (Jazz combo) in the early evening was a nice touch. We could still converse over the music, which is important. There was a nice selection of unique and tasty small plates. The two of us were quite pleased when we received the check--very good price for all that we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good variety of foodJltbalt1Dined on 10/22/2013We found a good selection of entrees and small plates with a good beer & wine menu. Food presentation was very good. We will come back the next time we're in Raleigh.
- So Good We Came Back!luvs2eatDined on 10/21/2013This is a great find! The small plates menu is fantastic. The lamb was succulent. The mac and cheese was creamy,cheesy,with the pasta perfectly al dente. The sliders were savory and the roll was just right - soft, chewy and warm. The salmon with succotash is my all time favorite entree...perfect blend of flavors with crispy skin and moist tender meat. The service is efficient and polite but not intrusive. The atmosphere is sophisticated but not stuffy. If you eat before 8pm it is not crowded. The prices are very affordable given the food quality and setting. This place might be my families new favorite "go to" for any occasion we can dream up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Surprise.TnJdateNightVIPDined on 10/14/2013There is no parking lot for this spot, but the restaurant closes at 10 so between 5-10pm parking is very easy to find on Glnwd we parked right in front! We could not decide what to eat, so we chose almost all the small plates, the dates wrapped in bacon stuffed with bleu cheese my fav, the lamb lollipops, Taylor's fav. On Wednesday all small plates are only $4, and wine 1/2 off! Great selection of alcohol Taylor had Woodford Masters, and they generously poured, my Tito's martinis were perfect. I would go again. Some of the best service I got and the bar manager even came to our table and speak of all the bourbons they had. Oh and they invited us upstairs the view was amazing! Been back twice since.Special Features:
- After ordering a few smallshrimplessDined on 10/5/2013After ordering a few small plates and placing order for a shrimp entree, it was when the entrees were delivered when the servers suggested on advised there wasnt any shrimp in the entire restuarant. Really not to sure how shrimp runs out when 55% of your menu is seafood...And the server assumed I wanted chicken alfredo .thanks but no thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very nice birthday dinnerBirthday79girlDined on 10/4/2013Had a very nice birthday dinner here. The rooftop was nice. The night club staff could use some work the girl working there was trying to charge $400 to sit at the "VIP" tables that were noticeably unoccupied lol but other than that we had a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, Service, Atmosphere +++luvs2eatDined on 10/4/2013We tried Bia for our anniversary. It is a definite "Do again"!! Nice modern upscale atmosphere. We had the fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomato salad to start. ..Best I've ever had! The fresh cheese was flavorful, the tomatoes tasted like tomatoes!! The greens were fresh and lightly dressed. There was the distinct taste of salt in the dish, but it was not over bearing and really complemented the cheese and tomatoes. The grilled salmon with corn succotash... absolute perfection, lightly seasoned and perfectly grilled. The succotash was a medley of corn, edamame, and diced red pepper, delicious with the salmon. The Cioppino was a winner too. Clams, Mussels, crab, and shrimp with homemade pasta in a tomato sauce with a just a kick! YUMSpecial Features:
- unexpected gemNoFoLauraVIPDined on 9/23/2013the menu online looked good, so I booked it for a new employee dinner. Way exceeded expectations. The chef even cam to our table to talk about the amazing lentils that were under the lamb. Service was wonderful. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightEbonyDined on 9/21/2013We really enjoyed Bia. Although we expected the food to be good, it exceeded our expectations. We were very pleasantly surprised at just how good our food was. Our waitress left room for improvement however. She either was tired or was having a bad day but her energy was not friendly and genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2013My wife and I had a wonderful, romantic, Anniversary dinner at Bia. The service was excellent - attentive and friendly. The menu had nice variety, and the dishes we tried were delicious. We felt the prices were very reasonable for the types and quality of dishes offered. The only drawback was that we were one of the only tables in the restaurant at 7pm on a Saturday. It made the meal more quiet, but we didn't have the feeling that we were at a popular, hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding ExperienceWiilDefBBackDined on 9/12/2013I made a reservation for Bia for a Thursday night. The occasion was my friends Birthday dinner! I was amazed at how well the service was! I was expecting it to be mediocre like all other restaurants. However, every single server/bartender/hostess came by the table to wish my friend a Happy Birthday, even if they were just passing by! They made her feel so special, which of course made my night as well! :) Our servers name was Chris and he was FANTASTIC!!! We will definitely be dining here in the future and requesting his service again!!! I cannot wait to eat here again! My one regret was not asking to speak with the chef so that I could tell him what an amazing job he did on the food! His food could definitely rival chef Gordan Ramsay!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience...but not sold.RussoDined on 9/9/2013When we sat down, the hostess asked if we had ever been to Bia before. We said no. Her response was disturbing "oh, well, the food is now amazing...I wouldn't have eaten here before though." At hearing this, I immediately regretted the decision to give the place a shot. However, when the food came out, I quickly forgot about my worries. The flounder was perfectly done, and served on what I'd consider the best mashed potatoes I've ever had. Will return and try some other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cultural Ancestral Story and MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2013We had several questions about the menu. The owner was there and explained many items and we talked about the ideas that became the restaurant. Take advantage of the photographs and read the story on the menu. The food was excellent and new to us. We 'll be back for more adventures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOTHING SPECIALOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2013AMBIANCE VERY GOOD...SERVICE GOOD....NOISE LEVEL VERY ACCEPTABLE...FOOD ONLY FAIR AT BEST.. NO REASON TO RETURN...
- Awesome as always!!AnjeDined on 8/24/2013Loved the new menu! Our waiter Josue was wonderful..very accomodating and knew the menu well. the food was delicious as well. Perfect for date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Findfjb0501Dined on 8/24/2013Thanks to Raleigh Restaurant Week, this was our first visit. We were greated promptly and scored a lovely table on the covered patio. Enjoyed the jazz music while sipping one of the best martinis we've had in a very long time. The wait staff was spot on and also available. There was a comfortable elegance vibe that is rare in Raleigh. Food was excellent. We cannot stop raving about our dining experince to all of our friends. We will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencehappDined on 8/24/2013We don't usually go into Raleigh to eat but this was a wonderful experience. The restaurant had both indoor and patio seating and the ambience was relaxing and romantic. There was live music on the patio and the service was offered in a way that did not make you fell rushed to finish. We were able to chat leisurely but the food courses were presently in an appropriate amount of time. In addition the food presentation was beautifully done. Overall I was pleased with the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell ShortMAFLANCDined on 8/23/2013We were seated quickly. We ordered drinks, took 15 minutes for them to arrive, another 10 for the waiter to take our order. We ordered from the Downtown Restaurant Week Menu. First course (salad or soup or bruscetta) took forever to arrive & we were one short, took forever for it to show up. Second course arrived one entree was incorrect. Finally dessert, it was good but the Beignet Soufflé was basically a funnel cake. Finally the bills came they charged 2 of us incorrectly. The ambiance was nice and the staff was apologetic but in my mind when I'm paying $100+ for dinner for 2 they should get it right the first time.
- I usually don't do this....martiniloverDined on 8/23/2013I usually don't write reviews but this time I decided to give my 2 cents. I chose Bia after looking at the restaurant week menu. We decided on the food and beverage pairing that is after waiting for about 15 minutes for water and about another 5 to 10 minutes for the waiter. (I was ready leave even before ordering the food) The first course: corn and chorizo soup. Good flavour but not enough chorizo (or soup for that matter) to even list it as an ingredient. Second: Deconstructed beef wellington,again good flavour but to quote the lady beside us "about 2 ounces too little". Third course: Beignet Souffle which actually looked and tasted like a churro. Overall, I would not go back to Bia to eat...at all. Once was enough for me.Special Features:
- Jazz and food always a great time!FrancoiseDined on 8/23/2013We made a reservation through Open Table after reading about the jazz duo playing out on the patio at Bia. When we arrived the hostess told us that our reservations booked us for the sofa area on the patio? After explaining to the hostess that we didn't book the sofa but a table, she didn't appear to care that there was a mishap with the reservation between Bia and Open Table. She escorted us to the sofa area and also offered us a table out in the entrance way of the restaurant - neither were my preference but we took the table to eat. Our waitress came to the rescue with her charm, jazz duo were great, food was overall good so enjoyed our night at Bia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pairingsMarkusDined on 8/22/2013My wife and I chose Bia as our Downtown Restaurant Week adventure. We both had the Beef Wellington. I chose rare. While it was not quite a cool red canter is was extremely flavorful. We chose the wine parings. The appetizer can with a Chardonnay, the main course with a Cab, and the dessert with a port. My wife had a sweet blueberry wine with her dessert which I ended up drinking, Between the food and the wine I ended being completely satiated. The restaurant was quiet enough to carry on a good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the dinner immensely.GlenwoodSouthDinerDined on 8/21/2013Enjoyed the dinner immensely. Excellent small dishes and outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBroosterDined on 8/20/2013Presentation eloquent, taste beyond others, service with smile and friendly info and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy experienceDimasDined on 8/17/2013Bia's has a nice appearance at first notice, but it is quickly overshadowed by the extremely loud background music. The appetizers were so so and not very appealing. The entrees from the ribeye, lacking any seasoning whatsoever and the flounder also lacked any noticeable seasoning. They were prepared perfectly but bland. The desserts were also lacking imagination and variety. The bread pudding was good but the deconstructed cheesecake was lacking substance and more of a pudding. we would not be returning. (Service was very good.)Special Features:
- Not like beforelatenightdineDined on 8/16/2013The food isn't good at all. It is probably the quality of an Applebees. The restaurant environment is very romance. The food is terrible though. The servers tried but were not timely.
- Girl's Night Hot SpotMaxineVIPDined on 8/12/2013Went their for girls night with 4 friends and Fulton (our waiter) provided excellent service and recommendations for our group. We ate from the small plate menu. Our favorites were the stuffed shrimp and the crab cakes. Very responsive, hostess rearranged tables outside when we decided to eat outside instead of inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.