41 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.betony-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2124652400x
- Hours of Operation:
12:00pm - 2:00pm Monday through Friday
5:30pm - 10:00pm Sunday through Thursday
5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryce Shuman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Betony
Betony, named after an herb in the mint family known for its healing qualities, is a Modern American restaurant overseen by Executive Chef Bryce Shuman (the former Executive Sous Chef of Eleven Madison Park) and General Manager Eamon Rockey (formerly of Eleven Madison Park, Atera, and Aska ). The restaurant, which is located a block off of Fifth Avenue, features soaring ceilings, contemporary photos of New York City street scenes, a 35-seat bar and lounge and 85-seat dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betony reviews from OpenTable diners
341 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (228)special occasion (199)romantic (168)notable wine list (148)hot spot (70)neighborhood gem (60)great for lunch (41)vibrant bar scene (36)good for groups (20)late-night find (12)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent Food, Very PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014The food we had was uniformly excellent, our server, who referred to us consistently as "messieurs" encouraged us to get something from each of their three categories "Hors d'oeuvres", "Appetizers", and "Main Courses". We declined, getting only the latter two courses, and no dessert, and a drink each, and the bill was still $100 a person. But everything we had was well-prepared.Special Features:
- Betony on a quit Labor DayLucky2eatthereDined on 8/30/2014Betony was very unique as it is sitting in a commercial area but it's ambiance immediately welcomes you. The food is excellent and will completely surprise you. Nothing you order seems unique until it arrives as the presentation is not what you expect. The flavor scare explosive and surprising in a great way. All three courses were perfect. The desserts were ok but didn't measure up to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food with no sybsatnceAlvaskoDined on 8/28/2014The food is a joke..! Too much of New American ... With very small portions but tasteful ...the foie GRAS was inexistent while the chicken was nothing special! If one wanted to avoid garlic no chance!!
- FoodyDined on 8/28/2014Never write reviews but I can't wait to go back. My new favorite restaurant!! Best food and best service ever! Hope they never change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedER325VIPDined on 8/27/2014Fine but not worth the cost. Not exceptional enough to be paying over $60 for a pasta dish (even with mild summer truffles shaved on it). Some emtrees quite good (eg, smoked short ribs) others rather bland generally with sharp sour notes (beet lasagne) but all overpriced. Also odd to be asked to order the entire meal when you order cocktails. The chef recommends three courses preceding dessert. No one in our party ordered or was able to eat dessert. An interesting and surprisingly well priced wine list and a sommelier who knows it well.Special Features:
- Tasting menu was amazingLillethVIPDined on 8/26/2014My best friend and I went to Betony a few weeks ago before a Broadway show & only whet our appetites with the Foie Gras dishes and a few cocktails. That was so delicious that naturally we had to return and have the tasting menu! It was AMAZING! The staff was so attentive and accommodating. We had so many people come by asking if things were alright and refilling our water or getting us another cocktail. It was truly a memorable experience. I have too many words for the beautifully presented food that will not fit in this tiny box. You need to go to Betony and check it out yourself. They tailored the menu to our requests which we really appreciated. A very filling meal. I'm definitely returning and bringing my husband this time. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014pretty nice ambiance with good mature crowd. diligent service and great drink choices.
- bad service,contrived cookingstellaKDined on 8/26/2014they had no idea of good service. bad attitude (most of them),a lot of them walking around. i was very disappointed with the food. The ingredients they use were very fresh but i couldn't understand the way they cooked, very odd and didn't go together. i think they try too hard to be creative and that just didn't work for me.
- AmazinghungryhippoDined on 8/24/2014Highly recommended. Five star food, Service and experience. Cocktails are great too!Special Features:
- ECCOCIQUIDined on 8/23/2014AMBIENTE SUGGESTIVO GRADEVOLISSIMO DESIGN INTERNO. PIATTI RAFFINATI E DI OTTIMO GUSTO ANCHE PER PALATI ABITUATI A CUCINA ITALIANA. OTTIMA SCELTA DEI VINI. MOLTO DISPONIBILI PER PREPARAZIONI GLUTEN FREE, CON COMPETENZA E CORTESIA.Special Features:
- Spectacular Dining Experiencepairof8sVIPDined on 8/23/2014Eating at Betony is a dining experience. Very expensive and worth every penny. The room is luxuriously gorgeous. The bar is spectacular, each bartender a master mixologist. The restaurant has improved over the last 4 months since our last meal there. Service is extraordinary. The first amuse bouche was a frozen white gazpacho unlike anything I've ever tasted-it was a flavor explosion in my mouth. The Pig's Head Terrine sounds scary but is a pate lovers dream. Sweet Corn Agnolotti came blanketed with black truffles and were melt in the mouth perfection. The Swiss Chard Lasagna and Poached Lobster were visually stunning and lusciously decadent. But the roasted chicken and lamb dishes were express trips to Flavor Town. DO NOT MISS eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't meet expectationsOgreDined on 8/22/2014Great place in many ways, but slightly disappointed by the food. Mains were great, but appetizers and starters a bit too salty to have perfectly balanced flavours. At most other restaurants I would have given food like this at least four stars but given that these people have higher ambitions (and a price tag to match - food isn't that expensive but the wine list has few "affordable" items - a relative terms for these types of establishments - on the menu) I would expect a bit more. Agree with other reviewers that short rib and lobster were great, and also the pasta with truffles, but not consistently top notch, which I would expect from a place like this.Special Features:
- It was okSimi22Dined on 8/21/2014I loved the atmosphere and the bar scene. The drinks were amazing but the food portions were way too small, we left hungry :(Special Features:
- amazing and innovative foodParker0508Dined on 8/21/2014Wonderful meal delicious and creative food best enjoyed not rushed if you want to be in the hub of the place request your table on the first floor the upper floor felt a little lost unless you are in a very large group Would go back without any hesitationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Everything but the desserts were flawless. The service was lovely, everyone was very nice and helpful. Food was amazing, the rolls which should be called crolls melted in your mouth. Each dish was a dining experience. Highly recomend, skip the dessert though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a super experiencekmumfordnyDined on 8/20/2014Food was amazing, service was impeccable. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Stellar dining in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/19/2014The service is a bit fussy, and the ambiance self-concious, but Betony is a must-try in NYC. Amazing food - both classic and contemporary - is so thoughtfully and deliciously prepared. Rich, decadent and memorable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Good food but plates tend to be on the small side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable experienceJonnyCatDined on 8/17/2014Impeccable service, mind blowing cuisine. Layered, complex flavors and wines to match. Bryce & Eamon have knocked it out of the park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly deliciousLillethVIPDined on 8/17/2014The server was especially friendly and knowledgable. We ordered all the foie gras dishes because we has an early curtain call. We plan on returning to try the tasting menu. The milk punch was "eh" but probably because I had it with rum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely find midtown New YorkMizroseDined on 8/16/2014I am so happy we found Betony as it was not only in the neighborhood we visited but the food was unusual, delicious and inventive. The moment the amuse bouche arrived I was hooked. The tuna appetizer was as beautiful as it was fun to eat and I highly suggest a try. By now, the chicken is a well publicized entree and it lived up to its chatter. I would suggest that anyone who, as we, wants a lovely dinner in calm surroundings offered by an excellent chef, join in the party and go to Betony. Who knows, if you decide to go, you may be seated next to some celebrity chef from far off places like Copenhagen or even me the next time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014If you can't get into Eleven Madison or Nomad, certainly the food just as good at Betony. Excellent service and amazing cocktails ,especially the Milk Cocktails. Careful molecular cuisine, but not over the top. Decor could use some help as designed over the top for a Russian restuarant. Service was charming and no attitude, though it was the summer.Special Features:
- Best dinner in NYmursDined on 8/16/2014Betony is one of the best restaurant we've had the pleasure of dining with in New York City. The food is absolutely incredible. As a vegetarian, I often am served sub-par options. However, at Betony, the chef created something just for me that looked like a piece of fine art and tasted amazing. Each item we ate was top notch. The drinks are also among, if not, the best in NYC. We had a mezcal pineapple cocktail that is to die for. Also, the service was just wonderful. Our server was super friendly and knew literally everything about the food and drink menu. It's a perfect environment for a romantic night on the town. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Genny384Dined on 8/16/2014We had an amazing meal. Amazing fried picles to start. I had a wonderful salad - not exotic but just plain excellent. One of our diners had the halibut which was terrific, another the chicken and I had the outstanding sweet corn ravioli with fresh black truffles generously shaved on top at the table. Both desserts that we had - the peach and the chocolate- were also excellent as was the mint lavender tea. Service was great as well. All in all exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic!foodie1991Dined on 8/14/2014The food was wonderful, the service was five star. Would recommend this restraunt to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We had a great evening at Betony: the service was very friedly and attentive; the food was excellent, especially the smoked mashed potatoes. The short ribs were excellent and so was the warm roll that was complimentarily served.Special Features:
- MarvelousRosebudDined on 8/13/2014We visited during our trip to NYC and the experience was exceptional. Attention to detail, the food quality and service were superb. Will come back again.Special Features:
- ExcellentRichVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had an excellent meal here. The space is gorgeous; good for impressing a date, I imagine. The service, excellent. The food was absolutely top-notch. I especially enjoyed the pig's head terrine, and the fried pickles were yummy. The short rib was incredible. The skate wing was the only dish that didn't impress, but it was fine.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014Everything on the menu is delicious! The cocktails are tasty and the wine selection is great. The interiors are lovely. But, what I truly appreciate is the people that make the experience worthwhile. The service is excellent!Special Features:
- Interesting tasty foodMoopyDined on 8/8/2014The food was delicious, interesting flavors. As one of my dining companions said, nothing was what was anticipated, but everything was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurantGrtymeDined on 8/7/2014On a par with 11 Madison Par. Can't give a better compliment than that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed baglove3dineDined on 8/3/2014Two of us ordered hors d'ouevres and one ordered an appetizer. It seems like the restaurant's policy is to encourage people to order an hors d'ouevres, an appetizer and an entree. The waiter brought the hors d'ouevres first and I didn't get my appetizer til later. My husband's grilled short rib was delicious and the poached lobster was good. The latter came with a creamy sauce and a huge bunch of dill. The waiter poured some of the sauce over the dill to "infuse" the sauce but then promptly removed the dill. I should have asked him to give me a doggy bag for it. The wait staff was gracious but the service was very slow (we were there on a Sunday at 6:30) We would have had coffee but didn't think it was worth the wait.Special Features:
- As good as dining gets in NYCtelethoughtVIPDined on 8/2/2014After the second visit to Betony, with 2 friends (who came in from New Jersey just to eat there) I find the experience from every measurable level just brilliant. And the food just takes over your pleasure centers for the time you are there, and keeps them revved in a continuous state of gastronomic ecstasy. I would go here every day to have meals like these memorable ones. Wine list also was rather solid and intelligent with such a great and unique selection. I will continue to bring friends and family here.. very easy to make Betony fans. Just enter through the front door!Special Features:
- Great IngredientsgaryVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was outstanding. The marinated scallops appetizer was probably the best dish. My wife ordered two hor d'oeuvres and an appetizer . I ordered a salad and a main course. We asked that her courses be spaced out and served with my courses but that couldn't be done. The hor d'oeuvres had to be served immediately and the appetizer served with my salad so she had no courses when I was eating my main course. Overall the food is very well prepared with top ingredients.Special Features:
- OutstandingblueskiesVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was totally outstanding. Flavors and ingredients were imaginative. Service was a very high level. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely wine list, service perfectthegforcenyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Absolutely Perfect wine list: The usual heavy hitters (CalCabs, Bordeaux) alongside some esoteric gems as well. Lovely somelier made our evening. Haitian gentleman. Rhones are esp strong. My guest enjoyed his foie appetizer and chicken app. Short ribs I had were v v good, but a bit fatty. Crisp service. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and menu selectiongunnarDined on 7/27/2014Celebrated our wedding anniversary at Betony. First time there, it was recommended by a colleague and it lived up to our expectations. Great all around experience.Special Features:
- MumaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Delicious cuisine, however the portions were too small for our guests.Special Features:
- Great placelondondubaiVIPDined on 7/26/2014We had a great meal at Betony! We went last Saturday, it was relatively busy, but staff was attentive, quick and eager to please. We were worried as we had read some negative reviews but it was fantastic! The truffle agnolotti was amazing and food portions are very generous! All in all a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genius chef. Outrageously flavorfulFLKS444Dined on 7/25/2014What Le Bernardin is to seafood, Betony is to red meat. Five stars to the foie gras appetizer and the lamb entree. We felt like we've never really tasted lamb until now. Reminiscent of fabulous meals we've had at Les Papilles in Paris. The only Con is the layout of the place. Its "L" shape makes it hard to feel that whole "among the people" thing. Great for romantics who want to be off in a corner. Plenty of those. However please DO dine here. It's lovely. We're coming back asap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.