41 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.betony-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2124652400x
- Hours of Operation:
12:00pm - 2:00pm Monday through Friday
5:30pm - 10:00pm Sunday through Thursday
5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryce Shuman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Betony
Betony, named after an herb in the mint family known for its healing qualities, is a Modern American restaurant overseen by Executive Chef Bryce Shuman (the former Executive Sous Chef of Eleven Madison Park) and General Manager Eamon Rockey (formerly of Eleven Madison Park, Atera, and Aska ). The restaurant, which is located a block off of Fifth Avenue, features soaring ceilings, contemporary photos of New York City street scenes, a 35-seat bar and lounge and 85-seat dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betony reviews from OpenTable diners
313 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (207)special occasion (186)romantic (151)notable wine list (137)hot spot (66)neighborhood gem (55)vibrant bar scene (33)great for lunch (30)good for groups (20)late-night find (9)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/15/2014This may have been the best meal I have ever had! The food was exquisite. Not only delicious but beautifully prepared and very original. I will return each time I return to New York! Absolutely magnificent!Special Features:
- A great addition to NY's food sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2014Betony is fairly new, but already firing on all cylinders. The food is imaginative and delicious, and the service is superb. The front of house is helpful and friendly...a real top notch experience. There are molecular treats and beautifully stylized dishes as well, full of flavor and well portioned for the price. An outstanding meal all around!Special Features:
- Chef doesn't have the chopsKeepitsimpleKeepitsmartDined on 9/12/2014It isn't 11 Madison park; it isn't supposed to be. But the chef is at sea--no eye, technique, imagination, wit . . . What's worse he doesn't display much confidence. There wasn't a single dish -- and we sampled ten -- that was compelling and memorable. What saved the evening was the room -- somehow the even tone of all the wood gave it a strange yet comforting old world umber --part colonial club, part fancy provincial outpost dining room. The younger servers had an easy manner as well. We went because of the review in time out that said the menu harked back to Daniel humm's before the histrionics and that the ambiance was one where both someone in their twenties and their seventies could feel at home. The latter is true. Not the food.Special Features:
- No better place in NYSSFoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Want a first class, unique culinary experience? Betony is the place. We always put Betony on our dining list when we visit NYC. This is surely a place to experiment with your menu selections. The chef, Bryce, makes magic happen with every ingredient.Special Features:
- fastdVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was divine, but smallish portions...The fois gras and poached lobster.. so good could have eaten double portionsSpecial Features:
- Great food, service - spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014The food was very good; the servings were elegantly plated. Interestingly the salt level declined as we went from the amuse bouche to the appetizer to the main course. The service was a little spotty - thoughtful but inattentiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service okOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2014Food was beautifully presented and delicious. Service waned as it got busier. Waiter never brought the cappuccino I ordered.Special Features:
- Inventive CuisineEastsiderVIPDined on 9/8/2014I continue to find Betony's menu one of the most inventive and satisfying in town. The choices are limited--a good change from overwhelming choice menus-- but everything (all 3 categories off the prix fixe) is terrific. At our lunch, particularly loved the Pig's Head terrine, the grain salad and the "Peach" dessert. The sommelier is knowledgeable and helpful and service was attentive but not cloying. The only small caveat for me is a sometimes intrusive not very good background music track.Special Features:
- FantasticnnovikVIPDined on 9/7/2014The lobster salad, sweet corn agnolotti, short rib, and halibut were all standouts. Fried pickles fun, pigs head terrine good even though not to the superlative level of the rest. Second cup of tea was already steeping before I even asked for it (& was perfectly made!) Much of the charm of 11 Madison's food with a more traditional & easy to repeat experience. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful meal in lovely setting. Only thing that needs work os the dessert menu which does not live up to the rest of the meal.Special Features:
- Great presentation without flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Beautiful space and dramatic presentation of food. However the food was nothing special. The braised short rib was a bit tough. They charged $20 for a toddler to have a small dish of pasta with butter. I wouldn't have minded if it tasted great, but the pasta was so salty it was I edible. The lavender milk ice tasted like frozen soap. With so many great choices in NYC, this shouldn't be one if them.
- Well prep'd dishes/nothing specialJCnJCDined on 9/4/2014We were 3, ordered a variety of main courses based on chicken, halibut & skate. Nicely done but nothing special. Desserts looked odd in the menu, they only listed the 3 main ingredients w/out indication as to what they were, got small sorbet scoops sprinkled w/the other 2 or with minimal pieces of a pastry or pudding. In general they were a disappointment. The appetizers were fine, lobster salad and tuna.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014Greatly disappointed after looking forward to lunch here. Tho service was good, the menu was very limited, even moreso than on their web-site. Requested to change our table as did other diners due to a few very loud diners conducting business as if it was their conference room; air-cond. too cold. There should have been a lovely more romantic feeling to lunch.
- Great experienceHamptonDined on 9/2/2014My wife and love the decor, it is very well done. The food was excellent. The lobster and the short ribs were both amazing as were the other courses and all the little things they sent out. Playful use of liquid nitrogen added to a few dishes. The service was absolutely top notch. Attentive and warm without being pretentious. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingstashdeanVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had high expectations and the food and wine were lovely. We are happy to pay top dollar for impeccable service but for the price, the service wasn't up to scratch. Our second course was served before we had finished our first, which felt rushed and awkward. Just not good enough at this price point and expectations.Special Features:
- Pretty good despite Siberia seatingJerrysfriendVIPDined on 8/30/2014They don't know me there, so not only were we placed in Siberia (upstairs), but we got the worst table there; the last one in the rear. We were seated next to a big noisy group from the boroughs, celebrating a birthday. Despite all of that, we liked the adventurous and tasty food. The service was good, too. Unfortunately, as nearly everywhere in NY, most of the other guests were dressed rather slovenly. I was the only man wearing a tie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Very PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014The food we had was uniformly excellent, our server, who referred to us consistently as "messieurs" encouraged us to get something from each of their three categories "Hors d'oeuvres", "Appetizers", and "Main Courses". We declined, getting only the latter two courses, and no dessert, and a drink each, and the bill was still $100 a person. But everything we had was well-prepared.Special Features:
- Betony on a quit Labor DayLucky2eatthereDined on 8/30/2014Betony was very unique as it is sitting in a commercial area but it's ambiance immediately welcomes you. The food is excellent and will completely surprise you. Nothing you order seems unique until it arrives as the presentation is not what you expect. The flavor scare explosive and surprising in a great way. All three courses were perfect. The desserts were ok but didn't measure up to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food with no sybsatnceAlvaskoDined on 8/28/2014The food is a joke..! Too much of New American ... With very small portions but tasteful ...the foie GRAS was inexistent while the chicken was nothing special! If one wanted to avoid garlic no chance!!
- FoodyDined on 8/28/2014Never write reviews but I can't wait to go back. My new favorite restaurant!! Best food and best service ever! Hope they never change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedER325VIPDined on 8/27/2014Fine but not worth the cost. Not exceptional enough to be paying over $60 for a pasta dish (even with mild summer truffles shaved on it). Some emtrees quite good (eg, smoked short ribs) others rather bland generally with sharp sour notes (beet lasagne) but all overpriced. Also odd to be asked to order the entire meal when you order cocktails. The chef recommends three courses preceding dessert. No one in our party ordered or was able to eat dessert. An interesting and surprisingly well priced wine list and a sommelier who knows it well.Special Features:
- Wonderful addition to midtownellenostVIPDined on 8/27/2014I've dined more than a half dozen times at Betony, and the food and service are wonderful! Highly recommend the foie gras bonbons, lobster, and short ribs! Wine list is excellent. Welcome addition to midtown. Lucky that Betony is only 2 blocks from my office.Special Features:
- Tasting menu was amazingLillethVIPDined on 8/26/2014My best friend and I went to Betony a few weeks ago before a Broadway show & only whet our appetites with the Foie Gras dishes and a few cocktails. That was so delicious that naturally we had to return and have the tasting menu! It was AMAZING! The staff was so attentive and accommodating. We had so many people come by asking if things were alright and refilling our water or getting us another cocktail. It was truly a memorable experience. I have too many words for the beautifully presented food that will not fit in this tiny box. You need to go to Betony and check it out yourself. They tailored the menu to our requests which we really appreciated. A very filling meal. I'm definitely returning and bringing my husband this time. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014pretty nice ambiance with good mature crowd. diligent service and great drink choices.
- Our 30th Wedding AnniversaryNatashaDined on 8/26/2014A perfect evening~ Attentive service~ Excellent service~ Beautiful décor~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad service,contrived cookingstellaKDined on 8/26/2014they had no idea of good service. bad attitude (most of them),a lot of them walking around. i was very disappointed with the food. The ingredients they use were very fresh but i couldn't understand the way they cooked, very odd and didn't go together. i think they try too hard to be creative and that just didn't work for me.
- AmazinghungryhippoDined on 8/24/2014Highly recommended. Five star food, Service and experience. Cocktails are great too!Special Features:
- ECCOCIQUIDined on 8/23/2014AMBIENTE SUGGESTIVO GRADEVOLISSIMO DESIGN INTERNO. PIATTI RAFFINATI E DI OTTIMO GUSTO ANCHE PER PALATI ABITUATI A CUCINA ITALIANA. OTTIMA SCELTA DEI VINI. MOLTO DISPONIBILI PER PREPARAZIONI GLUTEN FREE, CON COMPETENZA E CORTESIA.Special Features:
- Spectacular Dining Experiencepairof8sVIPDined on 8/23/2014Eating at Betony is a dining experience. Very expensive and worth every penny. The room is luxuriously gorgeous. The bar is spectacular, each bartender a master mixologist. The restaurant has improved over the last 4 months since our last meal there. Service is extraordinary. The first amuse bouche was a frozen white gazpacho unlike anything I've ever tasted-it was a flavor explosion in my mouth. The Pig's Head Terrine sounds scary but is a pate lovers dream. Sweet Corn Agnolotti came blanketed with black truffles and were melt in the mouth perfection. The Swiss Chard Lasagna and Poached Lobster were visually stunning and lusciously decadent. But the roasted chicken and lamb dishes were express trips to Flavor Town. DO NOT MISS eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't meet expectationsOgreDined on 8/22/2014Great place in many ways, but slightly disappointed by the food. Mains were great, but appetizers and starters a bit too salty to have perfectly balanced flavours. At most other restaurants I would have given food like this at least four stars but given that these people have higher ambitions (and a price tag to match - food isn't that expensive but the wine list has few "affordable" items - a relative terms for these types of establishments - on the menu) I would expect a bit more. Agree with other reviewers that short rib and lobster were great, and also the pasta with truffles, but not consistently top notch, which I would expect from a place like this.Special Features:
- It was okSimi22Dined on 8/21/2014I loved the atmosphere and the bar scene. The drinks were amazing but the food portions were way too small, we left hungry :(Special Features:
- amazing and innovative foodParker0508Dined on 8/21/2014Wonderful meal delicious and creative food best enjoyed not rushed if you want to be in the hub of the place request your table on the first floor the upper floor felt a little lost unless you are in a very large group Would go back without any hesitationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Everything but the desserts were flawless. The service was lovely, everyone was very nice and helpful. Food was amazing, the rolls which should be called crolls melted in your mouth. Each dish was a dining experience. Highly recomend, skip the dessert though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a super experiencekmumfordnyDined on 8/20/2014Food was amazing, service was impeccable. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Stellar dining in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/19/2014The service is a bit fussy, and the ambiance self-concious, but Betony is a must-try in NYC. Amazing food - both classic and contemporary - is so thoughtfully and deliciously prepared. Rich, decadent and memorable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Good food but plates tend to be on the small side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable experienceJonnyCatDined on 8/17/2014Impeccable service, mind blowing cuisine. Layered, complex flavors and wines to match. Bryce & Eamon have knocked it out of the park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly deliciousLillethVIPDined on 8/17/2014The server was especially friendly and knowledgable. We ordered all the foie gras dishes because we has an early curtain call. We plan on returning to try the tasting menu. The milk punch was "eh" but probably because I had it with rum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely find midtown New YorkMizroseDined on 8/16/2014I am so happy we found Betony as it was not only in the neighborhood we visited but the food was unusual, delicious and inventive. The moment the amuse bouche arrived I was hooked. The tuna appetizer was as beautiful as it was fun to eat and I highly suggest a try. By now, the chicken is a well publicized entree and it lived up to its chatter. I would suggest that anyone who, as we, wants a lovely dinner in calm surroundings offered by an excellent chef, join in the party and go to Betony. Who knows, if you decide to go, you may be seated next to some celebrity chef from far off places like Copenhagen or even me the next time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014If you can't get into Eleven Madison or Nomad, certainly the food just as good at Betony. Excellent service and amazing cocktails ,especially the Milk Cocktails. Careful molecular cuisine, but not over the top. Decor could use some help as designed over the top for a Russian restuarant. Service was charming and no attitude, though it was the summer.Special Features: