41 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.betony-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2124652400x
- Hours of Operation:
12:00pm - 2:00pm Monday through Friday
5:30pm - 10:00pm Sunday through Thursday
5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryce Shuman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Betony
Betony, named after an herb in the mint family known for its healing qualities, is a Modern American restaurant overseen by Executive Chef Bryce Shuman (the former Executive Sous Chef of Eleven Madison Park) and General Manager Eamon Rockey (formerly of Eleven Madison Park, Atera, and Aska ). The restaurant, which is located a block off of Fifth Avenue, features soaring ceilings, contemporary photos of New York City street scenes, a 35-seat bar and lounge and 85-seat dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betony reviews from OpenTable diners
306 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (208)special occasion (176)romantic (132)notable wine list (127)hot spot (66)neighborhood gem (54)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (26)great for lunch (24)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014Food is awfully salty. Even dessert is too salty. My friend warned me before I went... She was right!!!Menu didn't have any explanations about each mysterious name of the dish and the waiter never explained it until we asked. Very disappointed
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014As some may know, Betony's chef and management are products of Daniel Humme and Will Guidara at Eleven Madison Park. Their experience and training from EMP shows through at Betony. Although they don't have a tasting menu, eating a la carte was almost more fun because it gave us more of an opportunity to discuss the food with the very attentive and knowledge server and sommelier. Food was memorable but there were also terrific cocktails and wine (we did a wine pairing with our three courses). An all around terrific experience.Special Features:
- A treat for those serious abt foodanb3309VIPDined on 10/18/2014highly recommended: foie gras bonbons. spicy tuna roll. lobster salad. chicken. short ribs. potato ravioli. apple 'pie'. even the amuse buche is special and flavorful. enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialmangiamoDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed a special evening here; delicious food, outstanding service and I appreciate the special attention to a request that I made. Just perfect. Our first visit, but definitely not our last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Meal, Wonderful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014All-around wonderful experience! I dined solo, early on a Saturday night before a Broadway show. Every staff person was helpful and friendly, especially my server. She explained an Hors d'Oeuvre dish to me, and after telling her I was torn between two - she brought me a complimentary small order of the one I did not order. The Chickpea Panisse was unusual and tasty and the Lobster Salad was fresh and delicious! My Roasted Lamb entree was cooked perfectly and absolutely divine. Between each course, I was served an interesting and lovely amuse bouche. To finish the meal, I ordered the small dessert of one each: macaron, truffle and fudge. Each piece was exquisite and a perfect small bite of something sweet. Absolutely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous everything!dennisgVIPDined on 10/17/2014Service,food and ambience were all notable. Can't wait for the opportunity to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 10/17/2014The spicy tuna rolls were outstanding. The short rib portion was delicious, but incredibly small. The halibut was good, but not especially interesting. The rolls are outstanding.Special Features:
- homerbombDined on 10/17/2014Food was quite good. We really enjoyed most of the courses. Short rib was awesome. Service was not very good. No extra plates to help share our entrees as the waiter stated there would be. They forgot our petit four at the end since the bill arrived before the completion of our meal. Situation was quickly taken care of.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014great food and great atmosphere create a memorable experienceSpecial Features:
- Overpriced, lackadaisical servicedisappointeddinerDined on 10/17/2014Beautifully plated and delicious food that is very high-priced. The service, though friendly, is weak. (e.g.: A wine menu was ceremoniously brought to our table, but no one ever came back to take our wine order.)Special Features:
- SandraVIPDined on 10/17/2014It was good for lunch, just a bit sad that they do not have the same menu for lunch than in the evening, choice is then more limited. Wine is excellent, and they have a lot of choices on that one. Just a bit slow on the service: we received our wine glasses almost at the end of our meal. But overall good and attentive service, good food and reasonable price for a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- Put this on your bucket listLives2eatDined on 10/17/2014This place was highly recommended to me. It lived up to, and even surpassed, my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedGregDined on 10/16/2014Opentable said there were no reservations until 9:30pm, so I took the first available time slot and the place was empty. I would say that the food was average in taste and small portions. You really pay for the preparation of the food. The staff was not friendly or engaging, I'm not sure our waiter speaks English or even spoke at all. For the $450 we spent on dinner for the two of us, we have had better food and experience in 100s of other places in NY.Special Features:
- njladynjladyDined on 10/15/2014Outstanding food, service (even provided stools for our handbags), ambiance and wine list. My husband and our companion are still talking about the unusual, wonderful California wine they enjoyed. Might have to go back just to enjoy another bottle...because in spite of searching we cannot find a similar bottle anywhere. The portions are in line with a tasting menu, but we ordered several courses so everyone left satisfied. Prices are not for the slight of heart...was a memorable meal accompanied by a memorial price tag....but we were all glad we went and I highly recommend. PS...even if you don't eat carbs....strongly suggest you cheat and have one (or two) of the rolls...mostly heavenly piece of bread any of us have ever eaten!Special Features:
- Simply The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2014I have dined here perhaps a dozen times now and it is just fantastic. Food, wine, cocktails are just delicious and service is great. It's unlike anything in the neighborhood. The crack team is perfectionist and warm at the same time. They get it all right and make you feel like they did it all for you. Zero pretension. That's not to say it's inexpensive, but they're simply the best. They're on the cutting edge, yet they make you feel it's all about you and they're lucky to have you; rather than they feel you're lucky to be there. Oh, and milk punch...just order it.Special Features:
- Best of the Best!EmptynestingDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed La Bernardin and Cafe Boulud on our trip and both my wife and I decided after reflection that Betony was the best experience overall with every dish hitting a home run and amazing service. If we could only go to one place on a short trip next time it would definitely be Betony!Special Features:
- Outstandingtch7001VIPDined on 10/12/2014Betony is not only a visually stunning restaurant, but it has a great vibe. The food was categorically creative and outstanding. The staff was very enthusiastic, making the meal that much more fun. Some of the portions were a tad small, but taken together, the size of the meal was just right. It is certainly among my favorite restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- Amazing special occasion restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014This is definitely a get-what-you-pay-for restaurant experience. Betony is a NICE place, but not stuffy. Still, you might to dress a little nicer than usual. Took my wife for a milestone birthday dinner and that's the kind of place it is for regular folk like us. The food is innovative and incredibly tasty. We each had two cocktails, two hors d' oeuvres, two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts and the bill came to $240ish pre-tip. Recommend Foie Gras Bonbons, Pig's Head Terrine, Radish Salad, Grilled Short Rib and Roasted Lamb.Special Features:
- Perfect for a DateBermudaschwartzDined on 10/10/2014Absolutely perfect restaurant for a date with someone special, but could equally serve as a great environment to socialize with a larger group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/8/2014One star does not do this kitchen justice. This is one of the best restaurants in the USSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappoiningCarlDined on 10/8/2014After reading all the good reviews I was eager to have dinner here. Very disappointing. Pretentious and very overpricedSpecial Features:
- Unappetizing and overrated. AVOID!NewamloverDined on 10/8/2014Uniformly unappetizing and often horribly bad for all courses and for all diners in our party. Meat, fish and chicken dishes were all over cooked, dry, and tasted like leftovers heated in a microwave. Presentation of food was artistic, but taste was comparable to chains like Ruby Tuesday. Sauces were overly greasy and creamy, with a heavy, unpleasant aftertaste. Only the bread was decent. By far the worst meal I've ever had in NYC in that price range and one of the worst even if you don't consider the high price. Not sure where all the positive reviews are coming from. Not recommended.
- Wonderful Experiencejonsey17Dined on 10/8/2014I can see why Betony has received a 1 start Michelin. The food, service, drinks and ambiance are absolutely perfect. You just have to go to understand. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Superb overallOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/8/2014Dinner was superb, innovative and just plain delicious. looking forward to next time. Do not miss this for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/6/2014really over priced, small portions, and mediocre service. not sure what all the fuss is about.
- BellBellVIPDined on 10/6/2014Any restaurant that adds ginger broth to sauteed foie gras will not be one I re-visit!
- Venice40Dined on 10/6/2014Wonderful food-inventive and seved with polish Portions ludicrously smallSpecial Features:
- Poor servicePoorserviceVIPDined on 10/6/2014The food was good even though a bit pricey. The service wasn't great. They brought the wrong entree ( 2 lobsters entrees instead of one lobster and one lamb) for one of our party. They said keep it at no charge while we prepare the correct entree. They then said there would be no charge for the lamb entree or the additional lobster which we hadn't ordered in the first place. The bill came and we were charged for 2 lobster entrees and a chicken (which had been ordered) The bill was corrected
- Delicious!!NYCeaterVIPDined on 10/5/2014We had a most lovely meal at Betony on Sunday evening and highly recommend it!The food was amazing, service was impeccable and we will be back.We had a nice, quiet table on the second floor. The staff all worked together as a team and we were well looked after.Everything from the pretzel chips to the appetizers, to the amuse bouche, to our main course was mouth-watering and presented/delivered in a wonderful fashion. The sommelier suggested a great wine for us. The desserts were a bit disappointing (we tried the chocolate and espresso offerings) and maybe a bit too adventurous.However, we topped off the evening with an Italian hot chocolate as our waiter suggested and that definitely satisfied our sweet tooth.Looking forward to next time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The foisgras bombons are to die forTamastaDined on 10/5/2014We had a magnificent dinner last sunday, the waiter was courteous and efficient, the only complain was wit the wine list. Very few selections on the 100-150 price range and way overpriced. No real options in French or Spanish wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndreaDined on 10/4/2014Our dinner was amazing from start to finish. The service was impeccable and the food was incredible! Would love to eat here everyday!Special Features:
- DisappointingBensNYfoodDined on 10/4/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant, but sadly it failed to deliver. Whilst the lobster salad, foie gras and beef short rib were good, there certainly wasn't a 'wow' moment, and in fact the apple/cheddar dessert was terrible. The space is beautiful and the service polished, however, with the background of the chefs, I wasn't expecting to come away feeling disappointed.Special Features:
- Adventurousness is rewarded.BernbyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Having come across the positive review in New York Magazine, we decided to try Betony on a Friday night and were we ever glad with our decision. Typically a smaller restaurant looks to flip their tables as we had an 8:00 seating, but at no point did we feel rushed or that we had to get on with our evening. The menu seems limited at first glance, but it's an ideal balance as the appetizers and first course are smaller to allow for a generous main course. The wait staff was attentive without being interruptive. And the inventiveness of the meal was extraordinary. I don't want to spoil how some of the dishes arrive, but each had a twist that was delightful. We'll be back for sure in NYC.Special Features:
- Beautiful place, but....HoneyBadgerVIPDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is beautiful, and the staff were very welcoming. However there were some issues with the food. Overall the portion sizes were embarrassingly small, and none of us have huge appetites. The halibut and the skate were the tiniest pieces of fish we've ever been served, and they were served on a huge plate with no accompaniments, so it looked even smaller. And the food was cold. I informed my server that I have an allergy to nuts and cilantro and he assured me they could prepare the skate without either, however they still brought me sauce that contained both (without telling me), and I ended up with hives. That's a major problem, and all the waiter said was "Well we put the sauce on the side". Really??Special Features:
- One of the best in today's New YorkFrankBeachamDined on 10/3/2014Excellent food and ambience! Hot foie gras was amazing, as was the short rib. Both are legendary dishes at Betony. Met the chef afterwards and he was as nice as he is talented. A great dining experience in a city full of them!Special Features:
- After getting a Michelin star...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/3/2014Well, we had higher expectations. It was certainly good. The rolls were great. The beef tenderloin was fantastic. But the soup was lukewarm. The lobster ($10+) was not nearly as good as the beef. The lobster was in a great sauce, but the bean mixture did nothing to enhance the lobster and the lobster was insubstantial. A modest quantity, but I expected that. It was just thin and weak and, although it was clearly lobster, it had more the texture of cod. All-in-all, a good meal. An expensive meal. Can do better at Gotham, Gramercy Tavern or USC.Special Features:
- Kim1134Dined on 10/2/2014Food was good ( not great) but Service was terrible. I would not go back
- Fantastic food; romantic diningGGOTVIPDined on 10/1/2014We ate upstairs at Betony (which I think is a bit quieter than downstairs). Food was incredible. Starting with thin salted crisps and sticks on the table to nibbles, appetizers, entrees and sweets. Everything looked amazing on the plate and melted in the mouth. We had the lamb and the short ribs as entress and they were the highlight of the meal. Wine list is extensive. Signature cocktails are also quite good. The service was attentive but you never felt hovered over. In addition the timing of each course was well planned out so you felt relaxed and never rushed. This is a very special place.Special Features:
- Huge Disappointmentmns1600Dined on 9/30/2014This is one of those restaurants that simply doesn't cut it. The food is just OK with the focus is on contrived presentation, not taste. The portions are tiny and the prices very high. For example the chicken entree consisted of 1/4 of a chicken breast and the short rib entree consisted of 1 short that was more or less raw. . I would not expect this restaurant to survive if it is depending on repeat business. I would not go back and would not recommend it. The only things nice that I can say is that it has a great location and the ambience is quite lovely.
- Exciting from beginning to endAndiB23VIPDined on 9/30/2014Loved it from the moment we walked in. Best short rib I have ever had. Everything presented to us from the fresh yummy innovative cocktail to the dessert was well thought out and can't miss their attention to detail.Special Features: