41 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.betony-nyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 465-2400
- Hours of Operation:
12:00pm - 2:00pm Monday through Friday
5:30pm - 10:00pm Sunday through Thursday
5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryce Shuman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Betony
Betony, named after an herb in the mint family known for its healing qualities, is a Modern American restaurant overseen by Executive Chef Bryce Shuman (the former Executive Sous Chef of Eleven Madison Park) and General Manager Eamon Rockey (formerly of Eleven Madison Park, Atera, and Aska ). The restaurant, which is located a block off of Fifth Avenue, features soaring ceilings, contemporary photos of New York City street scenes, a 35-seat bar and lounge and 85-seat dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betony reviews from OpenTable diners
341 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (238)special occasion (194)notable wine list (134)romantic (132)hot spot (80)neighborhood gem (62)vibrant bar scene (40)great for lunch (37)good for groups (27)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/25/2014Food was interesting, good but not great. Nice wine list but pricey. Issue is how expensive the bill came out to, and we were there for lunch. We are used to the city's high end dining plaves but we probably won't be back to eat at Betony. We liked the bar area. This is a nice spot to have a drink.Special Features:
- Ok !meekaVIPDined on 11/22/2014Portions was too snall. Me & my wife left there feeling hungrier then when we went in , staff is very professional they didn't miss a beat. Wouldn't be in a rush to go back anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Among NYC's bestEl1125Dined on 11/22/2014My wife took me here for my birthday. Though the service was a tad on the slow side, our servers were friendly and well informed. Ambience was a mix of modern and rustic, with wood carved walls mixed with chic design. Chairs were very comfortable. A bit loud for a comfortable 'across the table' conversation, but I asked if I could adjust my chair to sit next to my wife, and they happily obligated. The dishes were great - both very inventive and we'll executed. Foie gras Bon bons bad spicy tubal rolls as recommended by previous reviews did not disappoint. Both were amazing. I had the foie gras hot, and while the foie gras and pork belly were delicious, the broth was outstanding. My wife had the oysters-also creative and outstanding. For entree, I had the lobster. It was very good, just not as 'hit you in the face' good as everything else. My wife's fish was just that. For dessert we had the chocolate, and the apple. Both lovely to end the meal. We've been to many nyc fine dining locations, and Betony was among the top for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much ado about nothingBritPeteDined on 11/21/2014Betony has an interesting and double-height interior, the staff are friendly and professional, the location is convenient (near Bergdorf Goodman and Central Park South) and the kitchen seems efficient. However there is a nasty sting in the tail. My advice is to eat beforehand or make a booking in another restaurant afterwards, because the portions are tiny and both the food and wine prices exorbitant. I would rename the establishment 'Anorexia'. Corkage is $50 per bottle. Buying a glass of wine consists of their pouring a mere smear of liquid in the glass. The quantity of food was so small that I assumed my main course was an amuse-bouche. They do serve exquisite hot chocolate. Not all their clientele can be those waif-like creatures that regard food as an invention of the devil, with nutrients to be inhaled rather than eaten. Let's encourage the chef to increase the quantity of food on his plates.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealUNplazagirlVIPDined on 11/21/2014A meal at Betony is an unforgettable experience. Clearly it will be one of the top restaurants on NYC. Yes, the atmosphere is lovely but that is not the principle reason to come. It's the food that is the star. The service is spotty but warm and professional and very good once you get their attention. But who cares about little lapses when the food is so great? We appreciated that they offered la carte and lots of small courses so we could indulge ourselves but walk away feeling great. The wine list offered some reasonably priced wines and while the meal was at special occasion prices we felt it was on target for the special experience it provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judyDined on 11/21/2014I hostess screwed up No excuse for it happening Waited 15 minutes for my dining partner while she waited at bar for meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunch experienceMookieDined on 11/20/2014I'm so over restaurants charging crazy prices & only providing the basics; Betony proves this doesn't have to be. I took a very good friend there recently for a bd lunch & she's someone who isn't a snob @ all but knows her way around the restaurant scene. She's actually been to Betony before (I hadn't) but only for dinner. We were both very impressed & happy with everything. The server (I believe his name was Gee) was so friendly & informative, always available but not intrusive. We were upstairs & in other restaurants that can be an issue, as often servers have to make their way between either the kitchen downstairs or other tables downstairs & the upstairs section but this didn't seem to be the case @ Betony. The food was delicious, my friend had the walnut chicken & she was really happy with it I had the Halibut & it was very good. There was a lag with the desserts, however, the server took the desserts off of the bill which was so nice. Wonderful attention to detail, I made the reservation via Open Table (obviously!) & noted that it was a bd celebration They had a card from the staff on the table for my friend & did the candle n the dessert. It seems simple enough but I there have been many times I've done the same thing & had it ignored or had to follow up bc the message wasn't relayed to the day of staff. All in all, def on my list for special occasions (a bit too expensive for regular dining, for me).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out for the corkage feeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/16/2014$50....a little surprise was waiting when we got our bill. Great service, good food, but a little ridiculous when it comes to a $50 corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creativeM90272Dined on 11/15/2014I loved the food. It was light yet filling and just so creatively done and simply delicious. I was a little disappointed by the snooty waiter but regardless the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisebrunhildeVIPDined on 11/11/2014I had heard differing opinions about Betony to too noisy (not so upstairs) to small portions. We were happily surprised. The maitre d' was helpful and patient. The sommelier suggested we tast the wine before they poured the glass and the food came out in a well paced fashion with each diner's meal arriving at the same time. Service good without being unctous. The food was delicious with more than sufficient courses. the maitre d' asked if we had any food allergies or other quirks and he was right on top of things. When I ordered a dish he told me that it was made with a meat stock although all of the elements seemed vegetarian. My glazed swiss chard lasagna was unusual and delicious. We all loved our choices. I noted on my reservation that we were there to celebrate a birthday. The maitre d' acknowledged that as soon as we sat down. I think it would have been a nice touch if the birthday dessert was a little something from the chef instead of incorporating it into the dessert we ordered. We plan to go back in January (if I can get a reservation) to celebrate 2 more birthdays. I know everyone will love it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragejaymeDined on 11/10/2014I was expecting much more from the kitchen. Disapointing dishes. Menu description says "young lettuce salad..." at the end I had a simple green salad , just as simple as I could get ready to go in any supermarket. Maitre recommend me their special chicken, honestly nothing special about it. It's not a place I would repeat in a city with so many good options. Just a common spot
- One of the best meals ever!BillDined on 11/9/2014We chose Betony based on the "Local Eats" app rating it as the best "Farm to Table" restaurant in NYC and it did not disappoint! We are a family of foodies and everyone in our party was extremely happy with the food. Top notch wine list as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable, can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/9/2014Always a special surprise, which sounds contradictory. Sunday night bass for two, perfectly prepared and then gracefully complemented by a half dozen side dishes/accoutrements. Enviable wine list and inspired advice to go with it. Gracious service and food you remember fondly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Actually Fine DininggoodtimerDined on 11/8/2014We had a very pleasant birthday dinner here with splendid food, quiet service, and beautiful furnishings and table settings. Thank you.Special Features:
- Great time at BetonyJoeGrubVIPDined on 11/8/2014Dining at Betony was a part of our 25th anniversary weekend celebration. The food was excellent, inventive and full of flavor. The short rib was small but tasty and the potato ravioli melted in my mouth. My wife very much enjoyed her poached lobster. The place is nicely decorated but some of the tables are too close together. I felt like the table next to me was all in my conversation. And it could stand to have been a few degrees warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome flavors / small portionseatsoutalotVIPDined on 11/8/2014Betony lives up to the service standards of a Michelin stared resturant. Staring with your reservation confirmation, special information makes it all the way to the kitchen. The food is creative and tasty. The "spicy tuna roll" was a unique take on standard sushi resturant fare. The grilled short ribs was a tasty follower to the tuna roll.Special Features:
- StellarUfgatorbuggDined on 11/7/2014The staff was impeccable and the food was incredible. Recommend: lobster and avacado salad, potato ravioli, short ribs and halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gluten-free happyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014I was delighted with how well I was treated and accommodated as a gluten-free customer. Usually, I have to sit by while friends munch through the bread and complementary nibbles. But at Betony, I got my own gluten-free roll and homemade pretzel crackers. The prix fixe lunch was amazing too, of course!Special Features:
- Issue of relative valuePL1221VIPDined on 11/6/2014Attractive, sophisticated restaurant with indulgent service which cost $500 for two couples not on expense accounts. Food was of high quality but not warm enough. The merchandising of the truffles seemed too aggressive to some of my party-almost silly. (We did not order any). The space felt compacted by the low ceilings in most of the dining spaces. All four of us agreed it was good but not enough to want to come back. Note: both couples are Manhattanites who dine out 4-5 times a week.Special Features:
- Never againKatieDined on 11/5/2014Sat us in way back of restaurant even tho we had reservations for a month. Small portions. Great service. Will never go back.Special Features:
- Betony is BestHugoBossDined on 11/5/2014My dining experience at Betony was amazing. Excellent service without the servers bothering you. The food came out in a timely fashion, they also brought out special plates from the chef. the wine list was excellent. The staff made me feel very special for being a solo diner . The setting is amazing and would work for a Business Lunch or a romantic nice dinner out. The food is high end without the high end prices. Excellent proportions. I was made aware, Kevin Finch was the chef that day and the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Betony is TerrificEater4Dined on 11/4/2014A friend recently went to Betony and didn't like it so I was a bit apprehensive. My experience was the opposite. I loved it. The food is incredibly imaginative, and very delicious. Even though we asked for explanations of the dishes we were pleasantly surprised by what arrived. I hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestImTheAdManVIPDined on 11/3/2014Betony has not been around for long - they told me 16 months - but the chef has a great pedigree and the kitchen produces some of the best food that I have had in all my visits to NY. The food and atmosphere are amazing!Special Features:
- Very NiceKoala007Dined on 11/2/2014Great Restaurant, Great service, the food is also very good, but a little expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service, food okcmacDined on 11/2/2014Service and ambience are excellent. Sommelier ended with an excellent recommendation, but it might be better if I didn't have to steer the conversation towards something that didn't require a second mortgage. Throw in a more moderate recommendation with the others. Still, good recommendation of something a bit off the beaten path. Food was meticulously prepared and plated but the mains were a bit on the cool side. I understand that you might not want that skate wing or chicken to continue cooking, but it would be better if they and the plates came out still warm.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Paid way too much to pull meat off the rib I got. I've had better meals at 25% of the cost.
- Trendy and upscaleFriendlyBridgetVIPDined on 11/2/2014Went here with my fiance over the weekend. Food was great! I had the most amazing poached oysters. I highly recommend this dish. While my chicken was great, I still prefer Nomads dish. My fiance' short rib was really really good! Every aspect of it was wonderful. Oh we were offered a couple of amuse buche dishes in the beginning and in between our meal. One of the best dining experiences here in New York. We live here so we dine out quite a often and we eat at Michelin star restaurants quite regularly. I definitely think Betony deserves one star or even more. Great job and beautiful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the price...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/1/2014There are many other restaurants in the city offering better food and better service
- A Food EXPERIENCEReal4427VIPDined on 11/1/2014We visited Betony for our anniversary based on our daughter's recommendation. It was a food experience! The small plates gave us the opportunity to try several items. The server was wonderful and answered questions and gave details of the dining options. My husband LOVED the cheddar cheese ice cream with the apples. The food quality was wonderful. The halibut with several types of mushrooms was the best I have had!Special Features:
- A great new restaurantJackVIPDined on 11/1/2014Our meal at Betony, indeed our whole experience, was sensational. The interior is a surprisingly warm combination of Asian and European themes. The service is friendly and professional. And the food is outstanding. This restaurant will quickly get to three stars in Michelin if it continues to operate at the level we witnessed.Special Features:
- danaDined on 10/29/2014food was delicious -good sizes - well prepared and presented service top notch would got back againSpecial Features:
- Top-notchMissQ1VIPDined on 10/29/2014Great. Brought important client who was very pleased. The tastes of the food is all so curious. Love.Special Features:
- Fabulous Mid Town DiningLLoganVIPDined on 10/28/2014Sat upstairs - more private and quiet - great food and service - Must have foie gras warm - unbelievable!Special Features:
- Betony is wonderful!ellenostVIPDined on 10/27/2014Both lunch and dinner are wonderful. Delicious and creative cuisine paired with attentive and friendly service make Betony a very welcome addition to midtown. Excellent cocktail and wine lists. Very happy that my office is only two blocks away. Betony has become my "go-to" restaurant for a great meal!Special Features:
- 3 stars2diners9VIPDined on 10/26/2014NY Times gave Betoney three stars, it deserves every one. The beautifully prepared food, looks as good as it tastes. The rolls are out of this world delicious,we skipped dessert becuse of time restraints, next time, we won't. Only downside is a $50 corkage fee, we had to drink a bottl of wine or travel with it, so we paid. Luckily the wine was excellent. There list is heavy on Australian wines, very exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceFoureyesVIPDined on 10/25/2014Betony is a magnificent experience. The attention to detail is readily apparent in everything they do. The service was flawless and the food was head and shoulders above any other place we dined in the five days we were in the city. It is expensive but the work that goes in to each dish is remarkable. We would all go back in a heartbeat. I don't rave about many places but this is a four star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NRG4NYDined on 10/25/2014An incredible dining experience! Beautiful aesthetics and an even more beautiful menu. I am gluten and dairy free; the chef made each dish from the amuse bouche and pre-meal bread crisps to the entree specifically for me. Our server Megan was delightful, energetic and knowledgeable as was the sommelier. Thrilled to give this restaurant 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe at the bar?InternationalSweetToothDined on 10/24/2014Decor is lovely Quiet and intimate to the rear, while the front has high ceilings and a light/airy atmosphere. Very diner-focused staff, until it gets busy(?) - resulted in delays(10min longer than for second course and check than might be anticipated). A separate perch for ladies' purses - charming. The food itself was uneven: EXCEPTIONAL fried pickle appetizer, highly recommended roast chicken is good, foie gras bon bons are very cold - more interesting at room temp(?), Nduja second course and deconstructed lasagna were good. Lots of potential here. The bar area is so lovely; I wonder whether this could be the best way to enjoy this restaurant which impresses as still finding its way.
- Outstanding waitstaff! Fine food!RexGoliathDined on 10/23/2014Started with hors d'oeuvre of pickled kaboucha squash in light batter, deep fried with miso dipping sauce. My app was foie and smoked pork belly. Tasty but the pork belly could have been rendered longer as it was more chewy than I expected. My wife had app of grains with sprouts. The highlight was the amuse-bouche with celery root reduction. Foamy but like a soup. Very tasty. My entree was lamb with eggplant and figs. Prepared nicely though the taste of lamb did not come through. It was an unusual cut of the lamb. My wife had the poached lobster with dill and white truffle. The combination had a different taste, the lobster was a bit rubbery. Maybe the dill and truffles weren't meant to be together either. The wait staff was outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/22/2014Waited too long for first round of drinks. Otherwise great service. Food was very good. The prrsentation of the food was superb. Service spot on. Decor upstairs was magnificentI would recommend this to a friend.