Betelnut Pejiu Wu
2030 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Betelnut Pejiu Wu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.betelnutrestaurant.com/index.html
- Phone: 4159298855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alexander Ong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from Betelnut Pejiu Wu
For hundreds of years in the bustling cities and fragrant harbors of Asia a favorite and familiar place to savor distinctive local dishes has been the side street beer house, or pejiu wu. Here, large mugs of beer complement emphatically fresh and tantalizing "street food" made with fresh local ingredients and regional spices that tend to be on the hotter side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betelnut Pejiu Wu reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (20)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (15)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (10)romantic (9)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Good Timefoodie08Dined on 8/25/2014I hadn't been back to Betelnut in years, but my favorite dishes were still delicious. I was with one other friend, so we ordered four dishes (and agreed we would have been fine with three). Loved the greens beans, pork short ribs and roti - all were AMAZING. We also had the green noodles and agreed they were a little boring... Not bad, but not a highlight compared to the other three stellar dishes. Attentive service, and when we left after 10pm on a Monday we weren't the last group there.Special Features:
- My meal was good, not greatOurAnnualWeekInNewportVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and daughter enjoyed their meal, I wasn't as impressed with mine. I got the braised pork belly dish. When it got to the table, it looked great. Served in a stone bowl, with all the ingredients sitting atop a bowl of rice. Once it was all mixed up, however, it was little more than a bowl of fried rice - too much rice. The main ingredients seemed to get lost in the sea of rice. For nearly $20, I would have expected something different. The firecracker shrimp appetizer was quite good, though.
- Fun Fusion FareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Betlenut has a great menu that incorporates aspects of many different Asian cuisines. We were particularly impressed by the Papaya salad (light and tasty with some really good shrimp on top), salmon skewers (really good mushrooms on those) and braised pork belly (because who doesn't like pork belly). Definitely a good spot in a nice location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past its bestmsaisleDined on 8/10/2014Used to go to Betelnut pretty regularly. Haven't been for about 18 months & the quality and service have noticeably gone downhill. Szechuan green beans used to be a highlight but old tough & woody beans were used, & they were underseasoned. Soup dumplings were another menu favorite but they've been replaced by bland chicken dumplings. Firecracker shrimp was ok but so small as to be terrible value. The Betelnut concept is that dishes arrive at the table when they are ready, which would be fine except that it took so long for some things to arrive that we never had more than one dish on the table at a time. The service was really disinterested - waitress forgot to bring one of our dishes & was incredibly slow. Won't go back.
- I'd come backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014Food was delicious. Nick was very attentive and personable. Definitely enhanced our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDiner28Dined on 8/4/2014Betelnut used to be one of our favorite places to eat--always consistently good food with fresh ingredients and service--we've been coming here for 15 years. They changed the menu and the recipes recently--and the changes were not good. The food was just ok to bad: lot's of salt (and bloating), heavy sauces, dried-out chicken satay (couldn't even finish it), brussel sprouts were burnt and dried out too-terrible, only good dish was chicken dumpling. Could have been an off-night in the kitchen---but with so many disappointing dishes I doubt it. I should have guessed there was a problem when the dining room had plenty of room--that didn't used to be true.
- Still worth a visit 12 years laterScottScaleDined on 8/2/2014Chose Betelnut to meet up with some friends, who like us, were over on vacation from France, as I wanted them to sample the asian fusion style of food which I remembered fondly from our time here in the early millenium. The choice of food on the menu is still great, we went for a mix of skewers and starters to share. The ribs were everyone's favorite. Desserts excellent too, in particular the coconut one. Good wine list from which we chose the Viognier which compared favorably with its French cousin Condrieu. Good margaritas too. Only downside was our server who seemed a little intimidated by our group (12 people/francophone/6 kids) and hence wasn't proactive in terms of recommendations. Overall everyone loved the place. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- betelnutrestaurantsDined on 7/31/2014Goof food but small portions which makes it pricey. Server was not very friendly. Scotch was $14 per glass which was filled with ice. They could definitely make it better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Nothing was very tasty. What happened? I loved it years ago.
- All Around Enjoyablenot2foodieDined on 7/17/2014Betelnut was a favorite when I lived in San Francisco, and still is after this dinner. Server was outstanding in recommending plates, sake flights, and local craft beers. Glad to see a fun fusion menu for kiddos too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Hit and MissRegularDinerVIPDined on 7/13/2014Food offerings for renamed Betelnut are inconsistent and not what they used to be with the original Betelnut of several years back. Menu changes have been a disappointment. While the chicken tikka masala was tasty, the mango and jicama salad with chili sauce was BAD with no flavor or substance. We immediately returned the dish and the replacement papaya salad was OK but not great. The beef and broccoli stir fry was ordinary and somewhat greasy. Our small table got so jammed with serving plates we could barely eat. The waitress did her best to accommodate our concerns but seemed a bit impatient. We are not anxious to return to Betelnut.
- Unique Gluten Free Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014There are several items on their menu specific for gluten free foodies. If the item is not onthe GF menu they will make it GF! Very accommodatingSpecial Features:
- Service great, food good price highJh26Dined on 6/29/2014A friend recommended this place to me. It's tapas style and the servings are huge so know that. The chicken lettuce wraps were incredible, a highlight. The remaining items were plenty good but not too impressive (chicken tikka masala, fried rice, beef skewers, brussel sprouts, and calamari). Given they have a lot to choose from, perhaps other dishes might be better. Overall, service was incredibly friendly and positive. Loved the ambiance. Just thought the price was high for the food being what it was.Special Features:
- Why the changeSFEaterVIPDined on 6/15/2014I still love the classics, but I'm not sold on the new menu. Why change something that has worked well for 20 years. Hmmm.
- Laksa12xxVIPDined on 6/11/2014The Laksa and firecracker ship with additional peppers thrown in were a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014food very interesting and yummy, all staff very helpful and knowledgeable, really enjoyed our dinner, I will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!badger90Dined on 6/8/2014Service was outstanding! The food was good, but I feel the menu needs to be expanded a little bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014I love love that the old menu is back and the wait staff are amazing,,,All men though, I was not sure what that was about,,,,but great just the same. My four friends and I had a yummy time,,,,and we go at least 4 times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unknowing...RuGGEDROnDined on 5/31/2014I was uncertain why it seemed if the serving plates and dinner plates were smaller than what I was used to from other Asian cuisines. Then I realized that sharing all the different entrees was what was recommended. An I'm glad I realized this too... After sinking my teeth into what I had placed on front of me, I was envious of what was in front of everyone else... Soon to be satisfied with everyone else's findings... I was so eager to try more. So I did. It was sooo good... I talked about my dinner continuously the rest of the week. It was that good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good after all these yearsSanMateoNativeDined on 5/31/2014Had a nice birthday lunch this weekend. Haven't been here is years. Restaurant still has a happy celebratory feeling. Food was very good. Glazed pork short ribs were excellent! Great service from a perpetually smiling waiter. The only downside is that the back room is a little dark and tired. Could use a makeover. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodFoodexplorer2014Dined on 5/30/2014First time visit ..picked based on reviews from opentable.. food was excellent, service was great and we eat like pigs without paying a fortune. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the food qualityFlogDined on 5/17/2014I was so excited to try Betelnut again only to find disappointment. The quality left with George Chen.
- Wonderful service and foodRDBDDined on 5/16/2014Needed a nice place to eat before Art Market at Marina, found a gem. Excellent updated Chinese/Vietnamese menu with good variety of choices, well spiced, beautifully presented, and generous portions. Our waiter friendly, made good recommendations, provided efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPeteVIPDined on 5/12/2014I've been going to Betelnut since it opened and Monday night was my first disappointing meal. The service was excellent as always. I took the short ribs off my list of the ten favorite thing I love to eat and moved it to the formerly favorite list.
- Best Green Beans everPattyDined on 5/10/2014Fantastic dishes, delicious and fresh. Must have the green beans. More casual ambiance than photo depicts, VERY loud music. Had many service issues (no water or menus, wrong wine etc.) but manager comp'd appetizer. Would recommed and take in on next trip to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be much betteremilyDined on 5/10/2014They recently changed ownership and you can definitely tell. The menu is not nearly as impressive and consistently amazing as it used to be. Now, if you order from the "classics" (the must-have items from the old menu) you're ok, but everything else is pretty lack luster. Under the old ownership, you couldn't go wrong with anything you picked from their menu. I'd be hesitant to return given the change. It used to be so much better.
- The following 1291 reviews are from the Betelnut Pejiu Wu reviews archive.
- Nice comebackclosDined on 4/29/2014My wife and I went here on our first date over 8 years ago. We came here after we got engaged 4 years ago, and we return for our Anniverary dinner every year. When I went on line to yelp to make reservations, I was concerned to see some not so nice reviews about "our place". Seems a few folks had been saying Betelnut had jumped the shark. However the most recent reviews seemed to say there was strong efforts to bring the place back to it's orginal form. I also saw the recent reviews had someone from Betelnut responding to reviews - both positive and negative. That gave me hope. Happy to say all was better than execpted. Made me feel good that Betelunt was listening and responsding to feedback! Bottom line, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very solidDmr444VIPDined on 4/27/2014Great food and drinks. We are vegetarian and had tasty dishes. Reasonable prices and a good selection of sakes to choose fromSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Favorite !JamesVIPDined on 4/10/2014We cam here on our first date, 13+ years ago, and go every year for our anniversary, and then sometimes during the year. The food is always spot-on and the service is cordial, and not overbearing.Special Features:
- Awesome Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/31/2014The food was great, the service was better.The servers were all about making sure my night was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrate our anniversaryLeemoDined on 3/27/2014We celebrate our anniversary every year there so it was a special night for both of us. We first started our night with a rude unfriendly hostess. I think you should put someone that's friendly has a smile on her face not someone that didn't want to be there and didn't care. As far as food, it was good but took way too long to bring the food. They brought one dish then there was long gap before they brought another one. Over all I would just give it a 2 star. I don't think we're going there for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BetelnutAnnieVIPDined on 3/25/2014fabulous in every way...food, service, ambiance... we had a lovely time and will return sooon.Special Features:
- Still Just As GoodbflopaulDined on 3/24/2014First went to Betelnut about 15 years ago when I was in town on business. Returned on this trip and was pleasantly surprised to find (taste) that the food was just as good... as was the overall experience. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still great!minmilDined on 3/21/2014all our dishes were really terrific and after all these years. Still going strong!Special Features:
- Excellent MealJohnAndEmyVIPDined on 3/21/2014We enjoyed an excellent meal at Betelnut. By far, they serve the best Roti I have ever had. It was crispy and came with two dipping sauces. While waiting on our main meal we had to order a second serving of the Roti. Also, their Hawaiian Wahloo dish was delicious served on a banana leaf and flavored with lemon, ginger, and onions.Special Features:
- Always love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2014Everything was awesome, but the short ribs are the best!Special Features:
- S. B. Visitor who always returns!luv2eatDined on 3/7/2014We cannot say enough for the scrumptious dishes offered at Betelnut. Whatever you decide to order, you will be glad you did!! Happy eating, count on definitely being satisfied when you leave, and looking forward to your next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTmanDined on 3/5/2014I recommend the firecracker shrimp. I ordered a second helping they were so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion At Its BestExecCoachVIPDined on 3/2/2014Jeff, a server at Kokkari recommended Betelnut ( we are visiting San Frnacisco. A fabulous recommendation and we would return. The small plates are generous in size and wonderful flavors. A must go to restaurant! It was busy on a Sunday night. If we lived in San Francisco,we would return often. Great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return VisitLocalVIPDined on 3/2/2014Been years and so glad we returned. Sunday Brunch. Great service. Ordered sticky ribs, calamari, green beans, kale asian pear salad,( small plates) halibut in banana leaf and lettuce leaf egg rolls. Plenty of food for the table, and all was fabulous. Ribs and calamari were real standouts. Split the coconut, tapioca dessert. Different and refreshing. Parking in garage across the street, $10. Street parking hard to get.Special Features: