Betelnut Pejiu Wu
2030 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Betelnut Pejiu Wu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.betelnutrestaurant.com/index.html
- Phone: (415) 929-8855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alexander Ong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from Betelnut Pejiu Wu
For hundreds of years in the bustling cities and fragrant harbors of Asia a favorite and familiar place to savor distinctive local dishes has been the side street beer house, or pejiu wu. Here, large mugs of beer complement emphatically fresh and tantalizing "street food" made with fresh local ingredients and regional spices that tend to be on the hotter side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betelnut Pejiu Wu reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (18)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (13)romantic (8)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Excellent foodFoodexplorer2014Dined on 5/30/2014First time visit ..picked based on reviews from opentable.. food was excellent, service was great and we eat like pigs without paying a fortune. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the food qualityFlogDined on 5/17/2014I was so excited to try Betelnut again only to find disappointment. The quality left with George Chen.
- Wonderful service and foodRDBDDined on 5/16/2014Needed a nice place to eat before Art Market at Marina, found a gem. Excellent updated Chinese/Vietnamese menu with good variety of choices, well spiced, beautifully presented, and generous portions. Our waiter friendly, made good recommendations, provided efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPeteVIPDined on 5/12/2014I've been going to Betelnut since it opened and Monday night was my first disappointing meal. The service was excellent as always. I took the short ribs off my list of the ten favorite thing I love to eat and moved it to the formerly favorite list.
- Best Green Beans everPattyDined on 5/10/2014Fantastic dishes, delicious and fresh. Must have the green beans. More casual ambiance than photo depicts, VERY loud music. Had many service issues (no water or menus, wrong wine etc.) but manager comp'd appetizer. Would recommed and take in on next trip to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be much betteremilyDined on 5/10/2014They recently changed ownership and you can definitely tell. The menu is not nearly as impressive and consistently amazing as it used to be. Now, if you order from the "classics" (the must-have items from the old menu) you're ok, but everything else is pretty lack luster. Under the old ownership, you couldn't go wrong with anything you picked from their menu. I'd be hesitant to return given the change. It used to be so much better.
- Nice comebackclosDined on 4/29/2014My wife and I went here on our first date over 8 years ago. We came here after we got engaged 4 years ago, and we return for our Anniverary dinner every year. When I went on line to yelp to make reservations, I was concerned to see some not so nice reviews about "our place". Seems a few folks had been saying Betelnut had jumped the shark. However the most recent reviews seemed to say there was strong efforts to bring the place back to it's orginal form. I also saw the recent reviews had someone from Betelnut responding to reviews - both positive and negative. That gave me hope. Happy to say all was better than execpted. Made me feel good that Betelunt was listening and responsding to feedback! Bottom line, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very solidDmr444VIPDined on 4/27/2014Great food and drinks. We are vegetarian and had tasty dishes. Reasonable prices and a good selection of sakes to choose fromSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Favorite !JamesVIPDined on 4/10/2014We cam here on our first date, 13+ years ago, and go every year for our anniversary, and then sometimes during the year. The food is always spot-on and the service is cordial, and not overbearing.Special Features:
- Awesome Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/31/2014The food was great, the service was better.The servers were all about making sure my night was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrate our anniversaryLeemoDined on 3/27/2014We celebrate our anniversary every year there so it was a special night for both of us. We first started our night with a rude unfriendly hostess. I think you should put someone that's friendly has a smile on her face not someone that didn't want to be there and didn't care. As far as food, it was good but took way too long to bring the food. They brought one dish then there was long gap before they brought another one. Over all I would just give it a 2 star. I don't think we're going there for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BetelnutAnnieVIPDined on 3/25/2014fabulous in every way...food, service, ambiance... we had a lovely time and will return sooon.Special Features:
- Still Just As GoodbflopaulDined on 3/24/2014First went to Betelnut about 15 years ago when I was in town on business. Returned on this trip and was pleasantly surprised to find (taste) that the food was just as good... as was the overall experience. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still great!minmilDined on 3/21/2014all our dishes were really terrific and after all these years. Still going strong!Special Features:
- Excellent MealJohnAndEmyVIPDined on 3/21/2014We enjoyed an excellent meal at Betelnut. By far, they serve the best Roti I have ever had. It was crispy and came with two dipping sauces. While waiting on our main meal we had to order a second serving of the Roti. Also, their Hawaiian Wahloo dish was delicious served on a banana leaf and flavored with lemon, ginger, and onions.Special Features:
- Always love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2014Everything was awesome, but the short ribs are the best!Special Features:
- S. B. Visitor who always returns!luv2eatDined on 3/7/2014We cannot say enough for the scrumptious dishes offered at Betelnut. Whatever you decide to order, you will be glad you did!! Happy eating, count on definitely being satisfied when you leave, and looking forward to your next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTmanDined on 3/5/2014I recommend the firecracker shrimp. I ordered a second helping they were so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion At Its BestExecCoachVIPDined on 3/2/2014Jeff, a server at Kokkari recommended Betelnut ( we are visiting San Frnacisco. A fabulous recommendation and we would return. The small plates are generous in size and wonderful flavors. A must go to restaurant! It was busy on a Sunday night. If we lived in San Francisco,we would return often. Great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return VisitLocalVIPDined on 3/2/2014Been years and so glad we returned. Sunday Brunch. Great service. Ordered sticky ribs, calamari, green beans, kale asian pear salad,( small plates) halibut in banana leaf and lettuce leaf egg rolls. Plenty of food for the table, and all was fabulous. Ribs and calamari were real standouts. Split the coconut, tapioca dessert. Different and refreshing. Parking in garage across the street, $10. Street parking hard to get.Special Features:
- Delightful Dining at Its FinestDineat9Dined on 2/28/2014I recently celebrated my birthday there with my wife, son & daughter. We were greeted and seated in excellent time! Our waitress was lovely, courteous & exceptionally efficient. She suggested some appetizers: firecracker shrimp, Sezchan string beans, BBQ short ribs & kale salad. For main dishes we hadron eye steak (thinly sliced) delicious & sea bass with jasmine rice. Only wrinkle in the evening came with my daughter ordering & paying for a Moscow mule. The drink was watered down. Waitress charged us for the replacement drink. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO Accommodating!enjoyeatingoutDined on 2/20/2014We added a person to our group and met in the bar first. We stayed there past our reservation time and they were willing to work around our schedule, even offering for us to eat in the bar, change the time, etc. One person had luggage and they had an unobtrusive spot for us to use. The food was delicious, as always! So, it was a combo of great food and really great service that made it a nice evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Betelnut - Fun hot spot!foodiesDined on 2/16/2014Loved the small plates; this way one can try different dishes and share with your partner. Loved all the flavors in the food. The atmosphere is fabulous and the vibe is exciting. Everyone seemed to be having a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food so sokk66Dined on 2/16/2014Not as great as it used to be… chicken lakshaw came without any salt… did they change the cooks? Ambience still great.Special Features:
- Been eating here since itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014Been eating here since it was opened, never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/8/2014Always a hit. Always great service. Get the green beans! Love sitting at the chef's counter too!Special Features:
- Awesome As UsualJoeScottDined on 2/5/2014It's been a little while since returning to Betelnut. First time since name/menu change attempts. Glad to report the food hasn't missed a beat. The flavors are as distinct and amazing as usual. One minor glitch: the roasted green beans were a bit soggy, but everything else was top-notch....including the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something went wrong in communicati4sustainabilityVIPDined on 1/28/2014Something went wrong in communication between server and cooks, so our dishes stopped coming after our appetizers. The manager finally came over, comped most of the order, and apologized. Although it was only 9:15 when we sat down, there was an end-of-the-evening quality to the food, some things not quite warm enough, others a bit tired, but some tasty.
- Have eaten their many timesyvscDined on 1/22/2014Have eaten their many times I must say it's not as good as it once was. That being said I would still go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going BackFilippoVIPDined on 1/15/2014We hadn't been to Betelnut for a couple of years. We were pleased that the food is still very, very good. We had a new waiter who was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPleasantVIPDined on 1/14/2014Great service and food. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is good but not great;JackVIPDined on 1/12/2014The food is good but not great; menu items read a little better than they taste. Many neighborhood Thai or Vietnamese restaurants have more flavorful dishes at a significantly lower prices. Presentation and ambiance is very nice, however, and makes it seem like a special night out. Service was excellent.
- The restaurant lost its charmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014Every since they've change the menu, the restaurant is no longer as hip and popular as it used to be. I had hard time choosing items on the menu so I asked for recommendations from the server only to be disappointed. We've had hamachi sashimi, calamari, malaysian bread roti and salmon skewers. None of these dishes were satisfying. Too bad, I used to like this place a lot! I wil not be coming back.
- Not what I remembered:(glavagirlDined on 1/5/2014After being to Betelnut several times in the past and always having an enjoyable experience, I was disappointed in my experience this time. Especially because I was raving about Betelnut to my co-workers and we were all in town for a convention. And of ALL the restaurants in the city that we could have chosen, I convinced them all that this was the one we had to go to, I now regret that decision. The mojitios weren't what they used to be with the bucket glasses and cubed ice, the server was unattentive, and short. Next time I am in San Fran, not sure if I will be visiting again.
- a special placeBillDined on 12/31/2013this is truly a gem! they tried to change the menu and fortunately they reverted to the prior spectacular menu items... this is really a very special place... will always return often....Special Features:
- Good New Year's ExperienceFoodieDined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve dining can be a horrible experience. Even restaurants that are tried and true often can't keep up the food quality or the seating commitment on New Year's, but Betelnut was the best. I've eaten here before and the the food was superb, the waiter was just great. He didn't rush us and he was very informative. I've learned that if you have a reservation on New Year's, don't expect to be seated on time or sometimes within 30 minutes of your reservation, but we arrived early and even though the restaurant was full, we were seated before our actual reservation.. The best part is that they didn't have a New Year's inflated priced Prix Fixe menu. There were specials and we were able to choose from the extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EvefamilyoffourDined on 12/31/2013Great food for sharing, staff was great even with busy crowd. Our favorites include seabass, NY strip & lemon grass pork.Special Features:
- Seen better daysFoodyVIPDined on 12/30/2013Seems tired. Restaurant looks worn and tired. Has an old musty smell. Generally not very impressive. Food was decent but when you see the place is looking frayed you start to wonder if they are cutting corners on quality in the kitchen also
- Not our favourite restaurantTourist4foodDined on 12/29/2013This restaurant was good, but not incredible by any means. The food was average and the service was alright. The waiter did not do a good job of explaining the food that we were eating. We would not return to this restaurant if we are in San Francisco again.Special Features:
- Recurrent cravingsAhmerdeDined on 12/28/2013This is our third time back. Though we live in the north bay making our annual trip to the city wouldn't be complete without a trip to Betelnut. Love the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.