Betelnut Pejiu Wu
2030 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Betelnut Pejiu Wu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.betelnutrestaurant.com/index.html
- Phone: (415) 929-8855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alexander Ong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from Betelnut Pejiu Wu
For hundreds of years in the bustling cities and fragrant harbors of Asia a favorite and familiar place to savor distinctive local dishes has been the side street beer house, or pejiu wu. Here, large mugs of beer complement emphatically fresh and tantalizing "street food" made with fresh local ingredients and regional spices that tend to be on the hotter side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betelnut Pejiu Wu reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (18)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (13)romantic (8)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Food reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014The food at Betelnut seemed on the salty side. Also, portions were small for for the money. Great location though!Special Features:
- Sadly, I cannot recommend....CindaciousDined on 11/18/2014We live in the East Bay and have made Betenut a destination for many many meals and events since they opened roughly 25 years ago. Always so delighted with food and service, loved sitting at counter watching the open kitchen or sitting at our favorite booth. Sadly the last few visits have been very disappointing. Since reopening, name change(s), new Chef (missing Ong!), different menu; nothing is the same- not even their signature Bloody Mary. The calamari, green beans, ribs, dumplings, roti are all bad versions of their classics; not to mention missing the old wait staff uniforms. Betelnut was clearly once a family "neighborhood gem" and "go to", but now a table is easily available. Though service was fine we sadly will never go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014It is a fun place to take out of town guests for multi cultural food. The small plates creates the perfect way to experience many wonderful choices. The creative cocktails are a perfect compliment to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2014It is a great looking restaurant with a great vibe. Extremely pleasant staff. The only issue was that the food was mediocre, not bad, but not great.
- Not what it used to beAceWVIPDined on 10/31/2014Betelnut used to be a really great restaurant with really great food. Each menu had a different section, and we would usually order something from each section. Everything on the menu could consistently be counted on to be excellent. While still good, the menu has changed, and the whole experience just isn't nearly as good as it was a few years ago. It's unfortunate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningMarkVIPDined on 10/31/2014We have eaten at Betelnut many times. This was probably our best experience so far. The food was Fresh and prepared perfectly, the service was just right, the drinks were excellent. Thank You!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service and food have slippedunionstvisiterDined on 10/28/2014Food and service need a lot of work from past experiences.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Guaranteed enjoyable dinner! The food is unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A small portions, too expensiveSFNativeDined on 10/12/2014We ordered to share. Usually we can get three entres and serve family style for the two of us. Not so here anymore. Bill was over $60.00 with tip and we had to go home and make almost another dinner!
- Very Loud, good food.JetNagVIPDined on 10/11/2014Dined on a Saturday night with a party of 4. Immediately seated in the back room. Waiter was wonderful, personable and had great suggestions. The 2 large groups (10+) seated around us were loud and had been enjoying their cocktails all evening. Kind of felt like we were seated in a club. Would I go back again, probably not.Special Features:
- ChiTownGourmandDined on 10/6/2014I like Betelnut. I like the food. This recent visit we had a very brash waiter. To bad. Left my party of 4 with a bad 'non-food' taste . As the host who recommended the restaurant I was disappointed
- Great night at betelnut!PamBDined on 10/4/2014It has been a few years since I last visited betelnut. We continue to be happy with the food variety, food quality, and service. There were 5 in our party. Perfect number to try lots of new dishes. 2 dishes per person was just a tad too much. We sat in the back. It was a bit warm (unusually warm day). We were able to hear our conversations without yelling! No rush. We spent two hours enjoying cocktails and food. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Love It!diningdivaDined on 9/27/2014We go to San Francisco just to eat at this restaurant! The food is fresh and delicious every time! Try the calamari and short ribs...they are amazing :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be goodnyc2013VIPDined on 9/23/2014I hadn't been to Belenut in years since I moved away from SF. I made a reservation because this place used to get packed. I was having a craving for their fire garlic noodles. I was so disappointed. They were not the same and double the price. The happy hour prices were good and the dry fried green beans were still the same thank goodness. At 7pm when we left there was still hardly anyone in the restaurant. I would go back. This used to be a neighborhood gem.
- New menu and wine list.....Shelly18Dined on 9/22/2014But not for the better. It was a very ordinary dining experience - with the worse part being my entree. The menu described it as noodles with chicken and shrimp - it came out without chicken or shrimp - only a strange substance which turned out to be egg - and overall was very salty. They offered to bring out a side order of chicken but I refused. I ordered a different dish - which came out relatively quickly (to their credit) and it was a lot better. The front bar area still has a nice ambience but the food is not good enough to warrant a return visit.
- Great food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014I have been to Betelnut many times. This time it was as good as always. Everyone like everything we ordered: Salmon, Tuna, Papaya Salad, Kale Salad, Cauliflower, Chicken and Steak Satay, Coconut pudding and ice cream. Everyone liked their drinks as well. The place was packed so recommend making a reservation.Special Features:
- Menu confusingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Food was really good and very reasonably priced. But we wound up with volumes more food than we could eat because the wait staff neglected to tell us it was a Tapa-type menu. So, we ordered as if they were appropriately-sized courses. We wound up with about 4 entrees worth of food. Piles of plates on the table should have queued us to the style of service, but wait staff should mention it to patrons, especially considering the volume of tourists in SF. End result, we took the leftovers "home" and gave a nice homeless person by our hotel a healthy, safe dinner. Hot Pot meal really is hot...it was still warm after a 30 min cab ride!Special Features:
- ExceptionalWestCoastNewbieDined on 9/1/2014Dumplings were fabulously good. I had the chicken masala and my friend had the shrimp noodles. The portions were very generous and I was sure I wouldn't be able to finish the entire dish. Turns out I cleared my entire plate and sampled my friend's noodles! Everything was so delicious. I especially loved the crispy okra on top of the chicken. Nice twist. I am definitely coming back to sample other items on the menu. The oysters and ribs looked to die for.Special Features:
- BetelnutsffoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014A fun place and great outdoor eating if SF weather cooperates. The food would be much better if they cut way back on the sugar. Many of the dishes were just too sweet.
- Old favoritedebbieDined on 8/28/2014Food was great and service started great until our server completely disappeared for a long time after we had told her we were going to order more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Timefoodie08Dined on 8/25/2014I hadn't been back to Betelnut in years, but my favorite dishes were still delicious. I was with one other friend, so we ordered four dishes (and agreed we would have been fine with three). Loved the greens beans, pork short ribs and roti - all were AMAZING. We also had the green noodles and agreed they were a little boring... Not bad, but not a highlight compared to the other three stellar dishes. Attentive service, and when we left after 10pm on a Monday we weren't the last group there.Special Features:
- My meal was good, not greatOurAnnualWeekInNewportVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and daughter enjoyed their meal, I wasn't as impressed with mine. I got the braised pork belly dish. When it got to the table, it looked great. Served in a stone bowl, with all the ingredients sitting atop a bowl of rice. Once it was all mixed up, however, it was little more than a bowl of fried rice - too much rice. The main ingredients seemed to get lost in the sea of rice. For nearly $20, I would have expected something different. The firecracker shrimp appetizer was quite good, though.
- Fun Fusion FareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Betlenut has a great menu that incorporates aspects of many different Asian cuisines. We were particularly impressed by the Papaya salad (light and tasty with some really good shrimp on top), salmon skewers (really good mushrooms on those) and braised pork belly (because who doesn't like pork belly). Definitely a good spot in a nice location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past its bestmsaisleDined on 8/10/2014Used to go to Betelnut pretty regularly. Haven't been for about 18 months & the quality and service have noticeably gone downhill. Szechuan green beans used to be a highlight but old tough & woody beans were used, & they were underseasoned. Soup dumplings were another menu favorite but they've been replaced by bland chicken dumplings. Firecracker shrimp was ok but so small as to be terrible value. The Betelnut concept is that dishes arrive at the table when they are ready, which would be fine except that it took so long for some things to arrive that we never had more than one dish on the table at a time. The service was really disinterested - waitress forgot to bring one of our dishes & was incredibly slow. Won't go back.
- I'd come backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014Food was delicious. Nick was very attentive and personable. Definitely enhanced our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDiner28Dined on 8/4/2014Betelnut used to be one of our favorite places to eat--always consistently good food with fresh ingredients and service--we've been coming here for 15 years. They changed the menu and the recipes recently--and the changes were not good. The food was just ok to bad: lot's of salt (and bloating), heavy sauces, dried-out chicken satay (couldn't even finish it), brussel sprouts were burnt and dried out too-terrible, only good dish was chicken dumpling. Could have been an off-night in the kitchen---but with so many disappointing dishes I doubt it. I should have guessed there was a problem when the dining room had plenty of room--that didn't used to be true.
- Still worth a visit 12 years laterScottScaleDined on 8/2/2014Chose Betelnut to meet up with some friends, who like us, were over on vacation from France, as I wanted them to sample the asian fusion style of food which I remembered fondly from our time here in the early millenium. The choice of food on the menu is still great, we went for a mix of skewers and starters to share. The ribs were everyone's favorite. Desserts excellent too, in particular the coconut one. Good wine list from which we chose the Viognier which compared favorably with its French cousin Condrieu. Good margaritas too. Only downside was our server who seemed a little intimidated by our group (12 people/francophone/6 kids) and hence wasn't proactive in terms of recommendations. Overall everyone loved the place. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- betelnutrestaurantsDined on 7/31/2014Goof food but small portions which makes it pricey. Server was not very friendly. Scotch was $14 per glass which was filled with ice. They could definitely make it better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1309 reviews are from the Betelnut Pejiu Wu reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Nothing was very tasty. What happened? I loved it years ago.
- All Around Enjoyablenot2foodieDined on 7/17/2014Betelnut was a favorite when I lived in San Francisco, and still is after this dinner. Server was outstanding in recommending plates, sake flights, and local craft beers. Glad to see a fun fusion menu for kiddos too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Hit and MissRegularDinerVIPDined on 7/13/2014Food offerings for renamed Betelnut are inconsistent and not what they used to be with the original Betelnut of several years back. Menu changes have been a disappointment. While the chicken tikka masala was tasty, the mango and jicama salad with chili sauce was BAD with no flavor or substance. We immediately returned the dish and the replacement papaya salad was OK but not great. The beef and broccoli stir fry was ordinary and somewhat greasy. Our small table got so jammed with serving plates we could barely eat. The waitress did her best to accommodate our concerns but seemed a bit impatient. We are not anxious to return to Betelnut.
- Unique Gluten Free Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014There are several items on their menu specific for gluten free foodies. If the item is not onthe GF menu they will make it GF! Very accommodatingSpecial Features:
- Service great, food good price highJh26Dined on 6/29/2014A friend recommended this place to me. It's tapas style and the servings are huge so know that. The chicken lettuce wraps were incredible, a highlight. The remaining items were plenty good but not too impressive (chicken tikka masala, fried rice, beef skewers, brussel sprouts, and calamari). Given they have a lot to choose from, perhaps other dishes might be better. Overall, service was incredibly friendly and positive. Loved the ambiance. Just thought the price was high for the food being what it was.Special Features:
- Why the changeSFEaterVIPDined on 6/15/2014I still love the classics, but I'm not sold on the new menu. Why change something that has worked well for 20 years. Hmmm.
- Laksa12xxVIPDined on 6/11/2014The Laksa and firecracker ship with additional peppers thrown in were a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014food very interesting and yummy, all staff very helpful and knowledgeable, really enjoyed our dinner, I will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!badger90Dined on 6/8/2014Service was outstanding! The food was good, but I feel the menu needs to be expanded a little bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014I love love that the old menu is back and the wait staff are amazing,,,All men though, I was not sure what that was about,,,,but great just the same. My four friends and I had a yummy time,,,,and we go at least 4 times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unknowing...RuGGEDROnDined on 5/31/2014I was uncertain why it seemed if the serving plates and dinner plates were smaller than what I was used to from other Asian cuisines. Then I realized that sharing all the different entrees was what was recommended. An I'm glad I realized this too... After sinking my teeth into what I had placed on front of me, I was envious of what was in front of everyone else... Soon to be satisfied with everyone else's findings... I was so eager to try more. So I did. It was sooo good... I talked about my dinner continuously the rest of the week. It was that good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good after all these yearsSanMateoNativeDined on 5/31/2014Had a nice birthday lunch this weekend. Haven't been here is years. Restaurant still has a happy celebratory feeling. Food was very good. Glazed pork short ribs were excellent! Great service from a perpetually smiling waiter. The only downside is that the back room is a little dark and tired. Could use a makeover. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.