2121 E. 7th Place
Los Angeles, CA 90021Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bestiala.com/
- Phone: 2135145724
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
NOW OPEN at 5pm!!!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ori Menashe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Bestia
Ori and Genevieve's signature style shines on the Bestia menu with a plethora of seasonal dishes that have been sourced from local purveyors. The emphasis on nose to tail cooking can be found in dishes such as Coppa di Testa comprised of housemade headcheese and Cassoela Milanese with braised pork, veal ribs and pork sausage. From housemade mustard for the charcuterie to skillfully crafted squid ink bottarga, the menu reflects the attention to detail that the duo pays to only seasonal ingredients. The emphasis on sustainable ingredients and products can be found not only on the menu, but in the design of the space as well. Working with designer Greg Bleier, Genevieve sourced the contemporary elements from local artisans, who rely on reclaimed materials to create the unique elements found within Bestia, from the light fixtures to the stools and tables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bestia - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bestia reviews from OpenTable diners
350 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (288)hot spot (227)special occasion (169)neighborhood gem (123)vibrant bar scene (122)great for outdoor dining (98)good for groups (89)notable wine list (83)romantic (68)late-night find (68)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- bestiatravellerVIPDined on 8/30/2014If artificially loud, bar scene type of place with a bunch of 30s and under, along with 65+ who pretend they are still in theiir 30s is your type of dinner spit, then this is the place for. Food is a huge disappointment. Pizza is watery, pasta is undercooked and hard, pork chop oversalted to the point it more resembles bacon. To top it off, the waiter insisted on no dialing down on salt by request because their food is "petfect". Mozza has far better italian food by several miles. This place is more of a pretender when it comes to cilinary skill.Special Features:
- Perfect Bday DinnerSoCalFoodieDined on 8/28/2014I had been wanting to give Bestia a try for months and finally was able to make a reservation. My friend and I arrived and were instantly greeted by the friendly staff and shown to our table. We ordered the Octopus & Calamari salad to start which was a perfect combination of flavors followed by the Roasted Marrow Bone (was good to try, but wouldn't need to re-order). We then moved onto the Cavatelli alla Norcina and the Tagliatelle alla Zafferano. We couldn't figure out which one we liked best, both were fantastic! We finished the superb meal with the "Coffee and Donuts" which brought the final smiles to our faces. Overall great dining experience. We'll definitely be making reservations to return.Special Features:
- A Perfect MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014We loved everything about this place, except the decibel level. Will request outdoor seating next time, but can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodReviewreview82VIPDined on 8/26/2014Without a doubt the food is worth a return. But try to get a sit in the front away from the pizza oven as it gets pretty smokey. Also it's very loud so it can make conversation if difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great..but room for improvementTheStorkVIPDined on 8/26/2014OK; yes it is a hip spot and the food is amazing! We enjoyed everything we tried and I would go back again. BUT: we sat at the larger table next to the kitchen and I was wearing white pants, which after a few minutes I noticed that black soot was landing on my pants. I wasn't sure where it was coming from but it continued to accumulate. The pizza furnace must be the culprit because you could see the smoke from the oven escaping from the exhaust hood. If someone had been wearing white shirt, you would have a major issue if you were going out afterwards. I highly suggest Bestia look into this issue. No one wants to leave a fine dining experience covered in soot and smelling like smoke. The meal was awesome though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in DowntowndowntowninlaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Superb LA dining experience with exciting vibe and environs. Outstanding calamari salad, pasta, and dont miss the pork chop. Desserts are incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful from start to finishAndrewDined on 8/24/2014We were seated at a small table for 2 in the middle of the restaurant. It was crammed into a space to small. My date was seated in a walkway and was constantly being hit by the servers while my chair was up against a booth. Note to Bestia- sit at some of your crammed in tables and feel how bad a dining experience you will have. Now the food- some dishes were inedible. The farro salad dressing was all mayonnaise. Vegetables were charred beyond recognition and flavor. Meatballs were mounds of blandness. This place is all around thumbs down.
- Uncomfortable Table Near KitchendowntowndinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014We were sat next to the kitchen (not a fun chef's table) where it was not only loud from the restaurant but even more loud from the servers and chefs yelling orders out to each other. The noise and our chairs being hit by every waiter was ignorable, but it became increasingly hot from the kitchen, to a point where we were all sweating. Luckily they moved us after asking, but we were halfway into our meal and while the food was great, it was really hard to enjoy the experience. If we were seated anywhere else in the restaurant, it would've been an amazing evening, however the table shouldn't exist. It felt like they squeezed us in, even though we made the reservation over a month in advance, and like we were second class diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Must try the Mussels and Clams. Wished they gave more toasted sourdough to complement the delicious sauce/stew. Always enjoy coming to Bestia for dinner! Come early or make reservations to ensure being seated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceAsteroidDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I picked a Saturday night out at the popular Bestia. Two months in advance! Really nice dishes from start to finish. We found it odd they offerred only three selections among the main courses, while appetizers, pasta, and pizza presented a wide array of choices. Fantastic, attentive, friendly service. Very descriptive info provided by the waiters. We did like their use of separate staff to bus tables. Did not like our waiter trying to turn our small table quickly, even though a number of tables stood vacant for well over an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always too busychet814VIPDined on 8/21/2014We love the food at Bestia; that's why we keep coming back. But, the waitstaff is always stretched a bit thin; getting a waitstaff to come to our table always takes a long timeSpecial Features:
- Interesting food, good serviceLiviaDined on 8/20/2014We took our 11 year old daughter here for her birthday and she loved it. Particular favorites were the octopus, ciccioli, squash pasta, bone marrow and the gizzards. Prices are reasonable for what you get and the portion sizes were fine for everyone except our 15 year old son - but that is to be expected. It's noisy inside but outside is quiet. I could have taken my father here without a problem if we sat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Hands down, still the best restaurant in Los Angeles! Every dish is a culinary delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestiaPancakePeanutDined on 8/16/2014I was able to book Bestia, 3 months in advance through opentable. The dish is recommended for sharing,so you can order a couple of dishes. My favorite dish was the mussels, the broth was garlicy and spicy! The pastas were also a great dish. I wouldn't recommend their roasted pork, it was alittle on the dry side for my taste. The Coffee and Donuts were great! they donuts had a little spice to it and the coffee ice cream wasn't overly sweet.Special Features:
- lovetoeatDined on 8/14/2014This may be the best food in the city. Not a bad thing on the menu and really thoughtful service. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- BestiaTBcdVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food is exceptional. Great waiting staff. Bar staff were extremely rude and had bad attitude. Love this place except for when you first arrive. They do have a waiting area outside but they have a silly system where you have to go to the bar to order your pre-dinner drinks - however the whole bar has diners seated eating so it is very difficult to get to the bar to order your drinks. Bar staff were very arrogant and impatient. This place would be perfect if they could only improve this one issue. Could someone not take your pre-drinks orders at the waiting tables please?Special Features:
- enjoyed very muchcamaro70Dined on 8/12/2014Everything we ordered was delicious....especially the veal tartar. Always exciting to try a new restaurant that keeps you thinking about it days later. I'm very ,mch looking forward to the next visit. Just need to book my reservation soon so we can eat there by October ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- billchinVIPDined on 8/12/2014noisy. food was excellent and service albeit slow was helpful and attentive.Special Features:
- Always greatLadypastaDined on 8/11/2014We dined at Bestia the other night and had yet another great experience. We were recommended an amazing wine to go with our meal by the house sommelier and couldn't have asked for a better meal overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous foodGr8FoodVIPDined on 8/11/2014Everything we ordered was perfectly prepared. The seasonings and flavors were outstanding. The service was excellent and very knowledgeable about the menu, with great suggestions. The wine suggestion was also fantastic, recognizing what we ordered and how the dishes would pair with the wine. Overall, a terrific meal. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent food & serviceSunflowerDined on 8/10/2014The food was amazing, the choices were exciting and the service was excellent. The only problem was that the tables in the area close to the open kitchen were very hot and we had to ask to switch tables.Special Features:
- Absolutely Amazing - as always!HermanIsABottomlessPitDined on 8/8/2014Hands down my favorite place in LA. We come at least once a month and are blown away each and every time. I love and appreciate everything Bestia has to offer!Special Features:
- Much better this timeLongtimefoodieDined on 8/8/2014My last review was lukewarm. This time (our 3rd visit) everything was outstanding. We were 4, ordered several things, every dish was perfect. Food was very rich, so I had the panna cotta as a light dessert. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant that runs out of foodidineinLADined on 8/7/2014Worst dining experience I have had in 12 years in Los Angeles. Drove all the way from Venice beach only to find out that they were out of 3 of the four things we ordered. That is pretty much their number one job. A restaurant should have food to feed its patrons. If you run out of the special, or one item, that is understandable. But running out of vegetables? Runnin out of THREE DISHES??? And those are the ones we ordered. They were out of other stuff too. Close earlier if you dont want to buy enough ingredients to feed your customers the whole night. If you dont eat red meet good luck. For all their pretense and hype, this place was a major dissappointment
- Great service, Food was too salty.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014My favorite was the Pizza and mussels. Excellent service but very noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent!JO77Dined on 8/6/2014Our first time at Bestia, as our servers said, we were "newbies". Every dish was beautiful and delicious! And the wine recommendation was terrific. Thank you!Special Features:
- LA's Best Restaurant in townOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/5/2014Hands down Bestia is the best restaurant in LA right now. The ingredients are paired together so perfectly that it makes the unique combinations an excitement on the palate.Special Features:
- The pizzas and farro salad YUM!LewieDined on 8/4/2014First time at Bestia. Loved it! Everything was notable. The specialty drinks were "amazing" the one at the bottom (cannot remember the name) was a reorder 3 times at the table.. The pizza and farro salad were exceptional. Everything that was said about this place is true (the good stuff). Service was sketchie at times and you have to order everything at once. It is not a "take your parents" place. It is fun and interesting and very loud inside. Food exceptional. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, drinks & service!FoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014We decided to let the waiter Chris decide what we were going to eat. We got about 6 dishes or so to split including dessert. The food was so amazing in flavor, textures that most of the time we were in disbelief! Extremely impressed! The only down sides were the brick-walls that made the restaurant extremely noisy and loud and that a place that serves such amazing italian dishes only had brew coffee! No espresso or similar coffee's was available which was disappointing as I love that option together with my desert after such an amazing meal! Going back soon for sure!Special Features:
- Best Italian in LA!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014"Bestia" continues to be the best Italian restaurant in LA. The food is 2nd to none and the service sets a standard that I haven't found elsewhere. All of the staff is there to enhance your dining experience without any hint of judgment or lack of knowledge about each dish on the menu. After dining at Bestia on various occasions, I highly recommend it to all.Special Features:
- like aircraft carrier flight deckvalleydaveDined on 8/2/2014food was great, as was the wine; service fantastic-- attentive, friendly & very well informed, BUT the noise level basically squelched any enjoyment to be had. like having a frat party from the kitchen in one ear & a hog-calling convention from the bar in my other ear. i recommend sitting on the patio, that seemed several decibels lower....Special Features:
- Loved it!elleDined on 8/2/2014Everything they brought to our table was delicious. The only downfall was that we sat outside and the flies were really bad for some reason. It is quite loud inside so if you are there for a quiet dinner sit outside.Special Features:
- Definitely coming backandieDined on 7/31/2014Every dish was solid to absolutely amazing. The food is authentic, flavorful, and unpretentious. Ordered the burrata peach salad, grilled octopus & calamari salad, mussels & clams, cavatelli with pork sausage, oxtail agnolotti, uni spaghetti and pork chop. Absolutely loved everything except the uni spaghetti (creamy but not particularly flavorful or remarkable) and perhaps the agnolotti (still quite good but not our fav and while I'd order it again, it'd have to be after I tired all the other options on the menu).Special Features:
- Wanted to love itLivetoeatDined on 7/31/2014Bestia was delicious but the noise level was too high. It really dampers the experience. Paolo was great! You must try their twist on the old fashioned, sausage pizza, and chocolate tart ^_^Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kateb.katebVIPDined on 7/30/2014food is sooooo good!!!server are really friendly. I love octopus~~~Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014Enjoyed every dish! Not a bad one in the bunch. Thanks!Special Features:
- Does not warrant #2 in LA top tenFridaynightfunDined on 7/25/2014Food is good. Presentation of the dishes very lacking. The waiter said all the plates are family style shareable, which was wrong, we ended up ordering from the starters only,which were good but a little greasy for me. service is not good. Noise is very high, even outside you have to speak loud to hear your friends. Decor, and ambience are good. Overall for me, I would just recommend it for the scene, which is the same as any younger hip attracting scenes of any other restaurant(SBE) style. I wouldn't go there for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dining ExperiencebonannzDined on 7/24/2014Our dining experience at Bestia was amazing. The server was very attentive, and had expansive knowledge of the menu. I greatly appreciated that the server let us know that the items on the menu were meant to be shared. For an appetizer we ordered the grilled calamari and octopus which was FABULOUS. It was grilled perfectly, and the seafood had layers of flavor. For our entrees we ordered the lamb sausage pizza and the truffle cavatelli. The lamb sausage pizza was good, although it was not my favorite dish that we ordered. However the truffle cavatelli was AMAZING. The truffle flavor was perfectly balanced, with the ricotta dumplings cooked perfectly. IF YOU ARE AT BESTIA ORDER DESSERT! The coffee donuts and choco tart were amazing!Special Features:
- Superb chef and menuSatedDined on 7/23/2014Every morsel we had was savored. It was an event, not just a meal. The only drawback was the noise level... I can understand that in a bar but not amongst this gorgeous food. A party of 5 could not understand each other across the table. We had to wait for the music to stop pounding to talk, and even that very, very loudly. The food, service and setting was impeccibleSpecial Features:
- Amazing food bad ventilationVentilationproblemDined on 7/21/2014Enjoyed the food and drinks. Service was outstanding also, however, none of these things matter when it's hard to breath inside the restaurant and you're eyes are watering. Ventilation is really bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.