2121 E. 7th Place
Los Angeles, CA 90021Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bestiala.com/
- Phone: 2135145724
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
NOW OPEN at 5pm!!!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ori Menashe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Bestia
Ori and Genevieve's signature style shines on the Bestia menu with a plethora of seasonal dishes that have been sourced from local purveyors. The emphasis on nose to tail cooking can be found in dishes such as Coppa di Testa comprised of housemade headcheese and Cassoela Milanese with braised pork, veal ribs and pork sausage. From housemade mustard for the charcuterie to skillfully crafted squid ink bottarga, the menu reflects the attention to detail that the duo pays to only seasonal ingredients. The emphasis on sustainable ingredients and products can be found not only on the menu, but in the design of the space as well. Working with designer Greg Bleier, Genevieve sourced the contemporary elements from local artisans, who rely on reclaimed materials to create the unique elements found within Bestia, from the light fixtures to the stools and tables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Bestia - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bestia reviews from OpenTable diners
357 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (296)hot spot (235)special occasion (167)neighborhood gem (130)vibrant bar scene (125)great for outdoor dining (103)good for groups (94)notable wine list (83)late-night find (67)romantic (64)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (9)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (4)Show More
- great food not so great outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/16/2014Had a wonderful meal but being seated outside next to the valet made for an uncomfortable evening with car fumes. This was probably exacerbated by the hot temperature outside but they should really consider having some sort of block so that the outside ambiance does not deter from the enjoyment of the dinner.Special Features:
- Probably expected too muchPhilandHeatherVIPDined on 9/12/2014I had heard great things about Bestia so i was really excited to have a chance to sample the food. First impressions were OK, but I was immediately struck by how noisy and hot the place was. Even with windows and doors open the restaurant was uncomfortably hot and I had to shout to be heard over the background noise. The food was very good although vegetarian options were limited. My veal tartare was excellent and the lamb neck was fall off the bone delicious. The roasted vegetables were also a highlight. However, the quality of the food wasn't able to overcome the shortcomings of the hot and noisy environment and the fact that our clothes stank of cooked food when we left. I just expected more. Glad we tried it but wouldn't rush to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Electrifying atmospheregimmemoreDined on 9/10/2014This is one of the rare places where the staff seems to be having as much of a great time as the customers. Loved the energy of the space, the vibrant staff, the modern industrial decor, and the grown-up party feel. Everyone seemed to be having a great time! The food was good, not great, but the electrifying atmosphere made it worth every penny.Special Features:
- Put the Special in Special OccasiondinerfromthesuburbsDined on 9/9/2014After a tour of DTLA, we stopped for an early dinner at Bestia for an anniversary dinner celebration. The service was remarkable. Upon arriving we requested a quiet table and they found us a wonderful spot outside on the front patio. We were treated to some champagne and thanked for joining them on our special night. The outstanding service continued throughout the evening. The wait staff constantly filled water, adjusted heaters, and checked in on us. When one dish was not to our liking it was whisked off the table and off our bill. The food was solid (the dessert was delicious!) but the service the real stand out, and would be the reason I would encourage everyone to try for a reservation at this hot spot!Special Features:
- 👍Harmonyandsteved1Dined on 9/8/2014Bestia was amazing and exceeded our expectations! Brett was an awesome server and atmosphere was friendly. Sommelier was very knowledge. Food was exquisite and when paired with the suggested wines everything was even better. Bestia is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.................VEEEEVIPDined on 9/6/2014Simply amazing.. must try the bone marrow and the aged steakSpecial Features:
- Loud and TastyMarcDined on 9/6/2014Amazing, unique menu selection. Squid appetizer was truly wonderful, as were all of the main courses we tried. Family style servings enable the group to sample many items from the menu, and each items was impeccably prepared and served by a very attentive, friendly hip staff. Industrial location and décor makes a great setting, ideal for a group of friends looking for a great meal in a lively environment. But sit outside if you can unless your hearing is truly excellent, I couldn't hear myself think inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectilluminateDined on 9/6/2014I live in the neighborhood & am extremely proud to have Bestia to experience & share with friends. This last dinner reservation was even more amazing than ever. Thank you ALL again for the memorable experience.Special Features:
- uniqueLanciafoodDined on 9/6/2014Service was superb. Very tasty Italian food. Changed plates each time for appetizer, main course, and dessert. Very attentive and well organized. It was very satisfying dinner experience. Will return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Besia Lover!GlendaleDined on 9/5/2014This was an experience all 6 of us will not forget! the food was so exceptional ! the service was perfect and the energy in the restaurant is so fun - we were mesmerized by watching the kitchen!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service, loudVarietyDined on 9/5/2014The food lived up to the hype, though the appetizer and small plates were more impressive than the pasta dishes, and the desserts, while decent, were not much to write home about. Service was very attentive, timing of dishes was perfect. All in all a great experience. Indoors was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Bestia is a great place to take your friends or your significant other to. Everything we tried there was great and the service was outstanding. My cup was never half empty and the alcoholic drinks were delicious! I'd definitely like to go back with my friends, but the only downside to dining at this restaurant is the reservations! The restaurant is very popular and it's hard to get a good time slot.Special Features:
- 2eat2liveDined on 9/5/2014I was disappointed in the food tastes I found that there wasn't really a distinct taste. the heart was the best of the five dishes we ordered. even the famous marrow was little off. the pastas were unremarkable. Staff was great, wine selection very good, as were the margaritas..Special Features:
- Awesome laid back serviceladygabriellaDined on 9/4/2014The staff was really great, knowing when to approach and how to approach. And just order the Alla‘nduja pizza - just do it. Do it now.Special Features:
- A Gem in the Arts DistrictJRCarolDined on 9/4/2014Who would suspect this most wonderful restaurant in an alley of a commercial area in the Arts District ? Reservations must be done way ahead of time since the place is so popular The food was outstanding and such different selections. The service was excellent.....friendly and very knowledgeable with a pace that fit the night. We loved the whole evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, hot and loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014Great food. Open, un-ventilated kitchen that made it hot and smokey at times. Super loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but staff need pole removedswallaceDined on 9/3/2014I honestly thought the food was just OK, but the service brought it down a couple notches. The wait staff were condescending and I'd like to say that just because I am from another country does not mean I am not intelligent and know what a sommelier is. I get that this restaurant is something different for downtown LA in relation to it's location and style, but that is not enough to make me drive from Venice again for a second chance... I think i'd rather go Gjelina.Special Features:
- ExcellentjocoVIPDined on 8/31/2014Everything was excellent. We ordered the Burrata (A+), Roasted Marrow Bone (A), Cavatelli alla Norcina (A), charcuterie (B), Agnolotti alla Vaccinara (A-), Grilled Beef Meatballs (B), and 22 oz. Kurobuta Pork Chop (A-). Make a reservation now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip spot in Downtown LAOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014I had heard great things about this restaurant. Definitely a hip vibe and dining on the patio allowed for a moderate noise level. I highly recommend the burrata salad, lamb sausage pizza and whole fish. The lamb shoulder was very fatty but flavorful.Special Features:
- bestiatravellerVIPDined on 8/30/2014If artificially loud, bar scene type of place with a bunch of 30s and under, along with 65+ who pretend they are still in theiir 30s is your type of dinner spit, then this is the place for. Food is a huge disappointment. Pizza is watery, pasta is undercooked and hard, pork chop oversalted to the point it more resembles bacon. To top it off, the waiter insisted on no dialing down on salt by request because their food is "petfect". Mozza has far better italian food by several miles. This place is more of a pretender when it comes to cilinary skill.Special Features:
- OverhypedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014As I had expected, Bestia couldn't live up to the hype. Mediocre and overpriced, with the pizza far undercooked on the top and burned on the bottom. Yuck!Special Features:
- Perfect Bday DinnerSoCalFoodieDined on 8/28/2014I had been wanting to give Bestia a try for months and finally was able to make a reservation. My friend and I arrived and were instantly greeted by the friendly staff and shown to our table. We ordered the Octopus & Calamari salad to start which was a perfect combination of flavors followed by the Roasted Marrow Bone (was good to try, but wouldn't need to re-order). We then moved onto the Cavatelli alla Norcina and the Tagliatelle alla Zafferano. We couldn't figure out which one we liked best, both were fantastic! We finished the superb meal with the "Coffee and Donuts" which brought the final smiles to our faces. Overall great dining experience. We'll definitely be making reservations to return.Special Features:
- A Perfect MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014We loved everything about this place, except the decibel level. Will request outdoor seating next time, but can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodReviewreview82VIPDined on 8/26/2014Without a doubt the food is worth a return. But try to get a sit in the front away from the pizza oven as it gets pretty smokey. Also it's very loud so it can make conversation if difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014The food is very good, but the seasoning can be inconsistent. Some dishes needed more salt and none of the dishes stood out in terms of seasoning. Most of the dishes were a bit flat or too rich. We'll try it at least one more time. But for the money with less wait for reservations, there's much better in L.A. We also felt like the reservation system is rigged. We got there at 5:30 to a mostly empty restaurant. We left about 1 1/2 hours later and saw the restaurant filling up during that time. However, their online reservation system showed the restaurant booked out from 5:00 pm till closing. It was pretty obvious that they could have done at least half a full turn, if not more, from 5:00-6:30. So why the empty tables?Special Features:
- Great..but room for improvementTheStorkVIPDined on 8/26/2014OK; yes it is a hip spot and the food is amazing! We enjoyed everything we tried and I would go back again. BUT: we sat at the larger table next to the kitchen and I was wearing white pants, which after a few minutes I noticed that black soot was landing on my pants. I wasn't sure where it was coming from but it continued to accumulate. The pizza furnace must be the culprit because you could see the smoke from the oven escaping from the exhaust hood. If someone had been wearing white shirt, you would have a major issue if you were going out afterwards. I highly suggest Bestia look into this issue. No one wants to leave a fine dining experience covered in soot and smelling like smoke. The meal was awesome though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in DowntowndowntowninlaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Superb LA dining experience with exciting vibe and environs. Outstanding calamari salad, pasta, and dont miss the pork chop. Desserts are incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful from start to finishAndrewDined on 8/24/2014We were seated at a small table for 2 in the middle of the restaurant. It was crammed into a space to small. My date was seated in a walkway and was constantly being hit by the servers while my chair was up against a booth. Note to Bestia- sit at some of your crammed in tables and feel how bad a dining experience you will have. Now the food- some dishes were inedible. The farro salad dressing was all mayonnaise. Vegetables were charred beyond recognition and flavor. Meatballs were mounds of blandness. This place is all around thumbs down.
- Uncomfortable Table Near KitchendowntowndinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014We were sat next to the kitchen (not a fun chef's table) where it was not only loud from the restaurant but even more loud from the servers and chefs yelling orders out to each other. The noise and our chairs being hit by every waiter was ignorable, but it became increasingly hot from the kitchen, to a point where we were all sweating. Luckily they moved us after asking, but we were halfway into our meal and while the food was great, it was really hard to enjoy the experience. If we were seated anywhere else in the restaurant, it would've been an amazing evening, however the table shouldn't exist. It felt like they squeezed us in, even though we made the reservation over a month in advance, and like we were second class diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Must try the Mussels and Clams. Wished they gave more toasted sourdough to complement the delicious sauce/stew. Always enjoy coming to Bestia for dinner! Come early or make reservations to ensure being seated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this worldAmjamDined on 8/23/2014I know that this restaurant has been getting a lot of favorable press which obviously biases opinions of it a great deal. However, I can say that despite being a skeptic, I have to admit that this place was still over-the-top down-right delicious. Service was incredibly polite, servers were all very knowledgeable, the old-school rap music set a really fun tone, and the food was out of this world. I am sad that they were out of the slow cooked pork as well as the coffee and donuts during my visit, that is the only thing that I think could be improved. I understand they may not want to over order ingredients, but I still think it's important to ensure their most popular products are still available to paying customers at the end of the night.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceAsteroidDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I picked a Saturday night out at the popular Bestia. Two months in advance! Really nice dishes from start to finish. We found it odd they offerred only three selections among the main courses, while appetizers, pasta, and pizza presented a wide array of choices. Fantastic, attentive, friendly service. Very descriptive info provided by the waiters. We did like their use of separate staff to bus tables. Did not like our waiter trying to turn our small table quickly, even though a number of tables stood vacant for well over an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always too busychet814VIPDined on 8/21/2014We love the food at Bestia; that's why we keep coming back. But, the waitstaff is always stretched a bit thin; getting a waitstaff to come to our table always takes a long timeSpecial Features:
- Interesting food, good serviceLiviaDined on 8/20/2014We took our 11 year old daughter here for her birthday and she loved it. Particular favorites were the octopus, ciccioli, squash pasta, bone marrow and the gizzards. Prices are reasonable for what you get and the portion sizes were fine for everyone except our 15 year old son - but that is to be expected. It's noisy inside but outside is quiet. I could have taken my father here without a problem if we sat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Hands down, still the best restaurant in Los Angeles! Every dish is a culinary delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for ConversationanarchynyDined on 8/18/2014Food and service was great acoustics in room do not work. Eat and leave if you want great food and talkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestiaPancakePeanutDined on 8/16/2014I was able to book Bestia, 3 months in advance through opentable. The dish is recommended for sharing,so you can order a couple of dishes. My favorite dish was the mussels, the broth was garlicy and spicy! The pastas were also a great dish. I wouldn't recommend their roasted pork, it was alittle on the dry side for my taste. The Coffee and Donuts were great! they donuts had a little spice to it and the coffee ice cream wasn't overly sweet.Special Features:
- lovetoeatDined on 8/14/2014This may be the best food in the city. Not a bad thing on the menu and really thoughtful service. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- BestiaTBcdVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food is exceptional. Great waiting staff. Bar staff were extremely rude and had bad attitude. Love this place except for when you first arrive. They do have a waiting area outside but they have a silly system where you have to go to the bar to order your pre-dinner drinks - however the whole bar has diners seated eating so it is very difficult to get to the bar to order your drinks. Bar staff were very arrogant and impatient. This place would be perfect if they could only improve this one issue. Could someone not take your pre-drinks orders at the waiting tables please?Special Features:
- enjoyed very muchcamaro70Dined on 8/12/2014Everything we ordered was delicious....especially the veal tartar. Always exciting to try a new restaurant that keeps you thinking about it days later. I'm very ,mch looking forward to the next visit. Just need to book my reservation soon so we can eat there by October ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.