4058A 18th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.besosf.com/
- Phone: 4158015392
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 3:00pm-11:00pm
Brunch: Sa-Su 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Nick Ronan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Public Transit: Located only a few steps from the Harvey Milk Plaza/Castro Muni Station and the aboveground F Muni Line, Bisou is centrally located in the Castro merchant district. Muni Lines : F/K/L/M/S/T Bus Lines : 24/35/33
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public metered street parking is available. Parking on 18th Street.
A word from Beso
Beso Bistronomia offers high quality Spanish (Catalan Tapas) cuisine in a friendly, local bistro environment. Our food is served in small plates meant to be shared with friends and family. Beso has its own exclusive farm. Napa Kitchen Gardens is the exclusive grower for the Bisou Group, providing locally grown, super fresh organic, baby specialty produces and herbs. Chef Nick Ronan and his chefs design seasonal menus with the Farm Manager in order to facilitate a unique grow to order connection that supports ever changing seasonal menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Beso reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (32)hot spot (22)good for groups (13)romantic (12)notable wine list (11)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great great greatOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/17/2014Great service. Great selection of sherries!!! Great food.Special Features:
- BesoPLMKDined on 9/13/2014Beso is a fairly new place in the Castro district. The menu is very inventive with a wide variety of choices. The cheeses and ham and other sausages are especially delicious. The tuna tapas is probably the best item on the menu and we tried many! Spanish octopus great as well and a good size portion. Service was spotty, place was crowded. Noise level very high. Not a place to have dinner and carry on a conversation. Because of this we would probably not dine here again. But if you are ok with that, food was really good.Special Features:
- Great food, great funChocolatChodeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Hostess was very kind in accommodating a last min add to our party of 3 when their reservation book was full. Server Wilfredo gave us excellent recommendations on the food and wine, the wine he selected for us was perfect. We ordered almost every dish - the standouts were the patatas bravas, panceta and gambas al ajillo. A very lively spot which manages to also maintain the feel of a cozy neighborhood favorite, it reminds me of the cervezerias in Barcelona, with much better paellas.Special Features:
- Welcome neighborhood additionHomerpcDined on 9/12/2014This instantly became one of our favorite restaurants in the Castro, along with places like Starbelly and Frances. Everything we tried -- cured pork products, paella, grilled octopus, and more -- was well-prepared and tasty. The wine list is interesting but modestly priced, with lots of wine and a number of sherries by the glass. Although it bills itself as a tapas restaurant, half the menu is larger dishes. The only slight drawback is that they have efficiently laced tables into this relatively small space. While we didn't feel overcrowded, the noise level was a little on the high side for comfortable conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful tapas!cftylerVIPDined on 9/9/2014Every plate was distinguished by clean, distinct flavors. Wonderful, welcoming service. Our group was seated promptly and service was at just the right pace. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Good, but pricey.lezInCastroDined on 9/4/2014Great service and ambiance. Too noisy and a little bit expensive for the food quality and portions. BTW I'm from Spain.Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighborhoodsfjoshVIPDined on 8/31/2014Try the everything, it's delicious. From the cheese and charcuterie options through to the main dish, seafood paella, everything I tried hits the mark on flavor, seasoning, and service. I'm happy to welcome Beso to the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish Tapasybrob24VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great new tapas restaurant in the Castro. Food was solid across the board and we had great, attentive waitstaff. Wine paired perfectly. Will definitely be back. Oh, and get the paella.
- Almost Ready for Prime TimesfgoguyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Broke my own rule about not eating in a new restaurant until at least 1 month after opening. Ate here about 2 weeks after opening. Very nice atmosphere and good Castro location. Relatively quiet. Spanish tapas menu was thorough, but not too extensive - just right for me. And the wine list was short but good Spanish offerings. Had a white Rioja for the first time. Yumm. Predict this will be a big competitor for Canela (a few blocks away) and a big hit with Castro locals and tourists. Definitely will repeat and hope to add another star then.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food but waited over a half an hour past our reservation time. Once we sat, we could tell why they were having trouble turning tables, service was amazing in bursts but then 20 minutes would go by with nothing….I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beso me mucho!FirstDaterDined on 8/26/2014There seems to be a surge of quality restaurants in the Castro/Upper Market area and I couldn't be more thrilled for such. Beso is the newest of the bunch and and definitely holds its own (but more importantly is quite unique). I enjoyed a fabulous assortment of plates to share. Their wine list is dominated by quality Spanish wines which so many of us know little about -- worry not -- their staff is well versed and prepared to help you select the perfect bottle for your meal. I cannot wait to return and to introduce others to this quaint and stylish neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dishes need to be consistent.moregoodfoodpleaseDined on 8/23/2014First time writing review but a veteran in SF food. This place needs consistency with dishes. Ordered the calamity dish 3 times and it was very different each time--too much sauce, not enough calamari, too many vegetablesSpecial Features:
- YayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014Warm hosts and staff, great room, yummy food. What's not to love?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abel75Dined on 8/22/2014Great food, missing some spanish tapas from the menu like bacalao, but other than that great. Paella: thumbs up!Special Features:
- A kiss for BesoCaroljeanVIPDined on 8/22/2014I had dinner for the first time at this lovely, new dining establishment in the Castro district. I went early and sat at the bar that surrounds the kitchen. The wine, food, service and atmosphere were all excellent. I highly recommend it and will be sure to tell all my friends and co-workers to check it it. Looking forward to trying more things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but needs improvement...foodtourdeforceDined on 8/21/2014I was really excited about checking this place out, but I won't be going back until they have time to work out some of the kinks. Food-wise, we had 6 dishes plus the paella. The paella was excellent, but some of the other dishes left something to be desired. The charcuterie plates were good, but the octopus plate and several others from the meat and fish section were embarrassingly small for the prices asked. I would say the portion needs to be increased by 40% for it to be worth the money, given the quality and preparation of the food. Service-wise, there were odd gaps in between our dishes being served, but I chalk that up to being newly open. I think the place has good bones, but needs some polishing before its ready for primetime.Special Features:
- Great new spot in the Castro!PacHeightsNewbieDined on 8/19/2014I came here on a Tuesday night with 3 girlfriends for dinner. We had reservations and the place was bustling. The servers were incredibly attentive and were obviously trying hard to impress given that Beso is a new restaurant. Our waiter even let me try 3 white wines to make sure I really liked what I ordered. He was super nice. As this is a tapas place we shared a bunch of dishes. Some of our favourites were the mushrooms, pork belly, squid and the 2 desserts were AMAZING - one was the churros but my absolutely favourite was the dark chocolate torte (very good dessert portion sizes for both). I would certainly recommend this restaurant for foodies and groups of friends. I would love to come back anytime.Special Features:
- Potentially Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Enjoyed my first visit...restaurant has only been open 4 days so they are still finding their rhythym...beer and wine only, very limited selection of non alcoholic drinks. Nice space and seating. It's basically a converted basement so NO CELL SERVICE! Cheeses were good, the potato dish rocked! The paella was a disappointment..$$$, small portion, salty! Attentive service! Parking can be tricky. Will definitely try again. Open 3pm to 11pm daily.Special Features:
- Just deliciousBigEaterVIPDined on 8/17/2014I'm excited to have a new restaurant in my neighborhood. Beso was absolutely delicious. And despite only having been open 4 days, the food and service were excellent and rock solid. We had the 2-person Seafood Paella which was amazingly delicious. The rice was perfectly caramelized on the bottom. The steak dish was also tasty, as was the squid. The cheese selections are great. And I loved the 3-cake dessert trio. I will definitely be dining here again and introducing more friends to this place.Special Features:
- Magnifico!DicksonVIPDined on 8/17/2014So glad to see this open up, specially in the castro. The food was outstanding as was the service!Special Features:
- Amazing food and great serviceParastooVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was out of this world. I loved every dish we ordered. The paella was soooooo good. We actually ended up ordering everything twice b/c it was so good that it was gone very fast. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Ver y authentic spanish menuEspanolaVIPDined on 8/16/2014We really enjoyed our meal and were really impressed with the authentity of the food. I am from Spain and I truly appreciate our cuisine. And I can say that everything we eat was truly delicious. The dessert was incredibly delicious. We will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opening weekJin94121VIPDined on 8/16/2014Some opening week bugs, so service was slow and disjointed, but, food was tasty. Noise level was extremely high so be prepared.
- Authentic style Spanish FoodRichardGDined on 8/16/2014We've been going to Bisou for years and we have always loved Chef's wonderful French creations and now we get to enjoy his Spanish creations, just delightful.Special Features:
- Another Sweet Kiss in the Castro!BmoreSFVIPDined on 8/15/2014Beso is a culinary gem and a vibrant hangout. Expect a delicious meal of carefully crafted tapas. Diners are truly having fun in this special, intimate place. The albacore, the baby carrots, the chorizo...every dish I tasted was flavorful, fresh and beautifully presented. A hearty, affordable bottle of Tempranillo complimented my food well. I will return to Beso many times as there is much more to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but too expensive for tapas.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The food was really tasty. Prices were too high. Wine pours for a $9 glass of wine was not impressive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Beso reviews archive.