Bertrand at Mister A's
2550 Fifth Avenue, Ste 406
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bertrand at Mister A's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/
- Phone: 6192391377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Friday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Saturday - Sunday, 5:000pm - 9:30pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Please be aware that appropriate attire is required. The dress code is dressy business casual, meaning nothing you would wear to the beach or a sporting event. Nice jeans or Bermuda shorts are fine with a collared shirt but nothing overly casual.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Voitzwinkler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 10 or more, it is necessary to call the restaurant directly for reservations.
- Entertainment: Bertrand at Mister A’s restaurant offers one of the most exceptional city views in all of the country. A true site seeing experience with a panoramic view; which encompasses the breathtaking city skyline, San Diego Bay and harbor, Coronado Bridge, Point Loma, Sea World, Balboa Park, the world famous zoo and Mexico high a top Bankers Hill.
A word from Bertrand at Mister A's
You’re just a few minutes from downtown San Diego; take the elevator to the top floor. You won’t believe your eyes! Huge jetliners sweep past at eye level. Our beautiful city’s skyline, San Diego Bay; why settle for just on ocean’s view when you can see the entire city from one vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Bertrand at Mister A's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Bertrand at Mister A's reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (252)special occasion (218)romantic (195)great for outdoor dining (117)fit for foodies (108)notable wine list (99)neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (42)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (34)hot spot (27)late-night find (22)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Great view, decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Truffled fries and mac&cheese: amazing Lamb chops: overrated Ambiance and view: spectacularSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Amazing food, amazing views, great place for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SpecialGoSunsDined on 9/14/2014It is always a treat to come here for dinner. The service was impeccable, as usual, and the food was delightful, as usual.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014This was a family get together before my granddaughter headed back to college. It ended up being a wonderful memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Son's 30th Birthdaycantwait2returnDined on 9/13/2014Impeccable dining experience. Highly professional yet down to earth feel. Not snobby at all. Beautiful setting inside and out. Welcoming, upscale , inviting, kind and the food- to die for! I cannot wait to go back! Everyone gracious, happy and professional from the moment we arrived to the time we left. Perfect place to celebrate a special birthday with the family or enjoy a special date one on one.Special Features:
- Love the staffTJNeneDined on 9/12/2014Love the staff, the food, the views and my hubby for taking me there.Special Features:
- Amazing viewSeanVIPDined on 9/11/2014Service is a bit stuffy, and the food is above average, but you come here for the view.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staffRomanceDined on 9/10/2014We had reservations and when we got there it didn't take too long to get sited, after that our waiter was really good and made sure that we were taken care of. The food was good and they had nice proportions, not too little or too much it was just right. I was hopping for a little bit more from them when I told them I was celebrating my girlfriends birthday ahead of time but they didn't do much about it to make her day more special but other than that it was a good experiense overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr A's is okdavethereluctantreviewerDined on 9/8/2014I don't normally spend a lot eating out, but since it was my wife's birthday, i thought it would be special. The staff is excellent and the service and atmosphere was great. The food was mostly very good, my steak was kinda dry, though very tasty, but not a $50.00 steak. Like i said, it was special, but i don't think we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Mr. A's is a restaurant that never dissappoints. Food, service, ambience are all fantastic and the view of downtown and the bay is unmatched. Although it is pricey, the value is there as the food is impeccably prepared and served. I am particularly fond of fried zuchinni blossoms, and the one served with the appetizer special was far and away the best I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A VIEW TO KILLCoronadoKiwiDined on 9/6/2014The only restaurant in an Diego with 360 degree views of the city...the outdoor tables provide amazing views. This landmark resaurant is a great place for a special celebration. While the actual decor of the hotel is old and dated and actually a little sterile there is so much history that one sits and wonders who may have dined at the very table you are sitting at. The wait staff are fantastic and the service excellent. The food was very good but we were not 'blown away' by the restaurant that we all think of as the symbol of elegance and high dining in San Diego. I would like to see the more simple dishes with cleaner flavors. Overall a very pleasant evening with our friends and we enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sarabDined on 9/5/2014Outstanding setting but was slightly disappointed with flavor of food.Special Features:
- Nice lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014I took my friend for lunch for his 70th birthday. We arrived before the lunch rush and had some time to enjoy the restaurant and the view without much disturbance from nearby tables. The food was delicious and they did a great job of bringing out a happy birthday dessert. The only reason I am not giving 5 stars was that my parking ticket was not validated and we were running late and didn't have time to go upstairs.Special Features:
- Great Outdoor Dining LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014Good food, great service and awesome panoramic views of the city from the rooftop outdoor dining tables. Portions were small for the price but the food was good. The view alone was worth the price of dining here.Special Features:
- A -stellar- dining experience!MixnMuddleDined on 9/3/2014What a gem! Visiting our parents in San Diego and we came here for my birthday. This was our first time dining at this restaurant, and what a truly lovely place! The food was delicious! The ambiance was elegant, and the service was outstanding....accommodating at every turn. Thank you John for a phenomenal and truly memorable evening---you made my birthday a magical one--we'll certainly be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spot San DiegoTravelerDined on 8/30/2014Great place to see the city and enjoy world class food and view. Everyone is happy you are there and makes you feel welcome. A 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing doesn't begin toOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014describe our experience. A birthday treat rapidly turned into a birthday disaster. We arrived on time and still had to wait for our table. We ordered a cocktail, and waited, we ordered wine and waited. We placed our order and waited and waited. When the food finally arrived my birthday guest's fillet mignon was cold. We finally got the server's attention and it was returned to the kitchen. My veal chop was served warm but the veggies were cold. By the time the steak was returned my chop was cold. No offer to keep it warm. Had to ask for bread and to have our water and wine glasses refilled. We felt totally ignored by the waiter. The maitre d came by twice to say he was "embarrassed" and apologized but did little to make things right.Special Features:
- Shoni1957Dined on 8/28/2014We reserved a week in advance, requesting a table outdoors & a flour less dessert for my wife's BD. They called me 4 days before to confirm RSV and outside seating which I confirmed. The day of the reservation, 4 hrs before our arrival time, they called me to inform me that they couldn't accommodate our dessert request because we did not due it with at least "36 hrs before" ............hmmmmmm? THEY CALLED ME FOUR DAYS BEFORE TO CONFIRM MY ATTENDANCE AND MY SEATING REQUEST!! Very disappointed with their attitude, lack of professionalism & overall, quality of food!
- Wonderful EveningBPUSMC716Dined on 8/28/2014I took my wife here for our 2 year wedding anniversary and it was incredible. Great food, great view, and super attentive staff. Our waitress was very knowledgeable of the menu and had several great recommendations. The view is the best in San Diego; we were able to see sunset and the city light up, if you have a special occasion, then Mr. A's is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notchHoppyDined on 8/27/2014The only reason I don't 5 star the overall rating is that in consideration of my guest I sat with my back to the view.Special Features:
- An amazing experience!Sparkyvq3Dined on 8/26/2014When you check in and within minutes every service person on the floor knows your name. When we show up early, head to the bar for cocktails, a server comes to us and places our drinks on a tray and pulls my wife's chair out for her before showing us to our table and seating us. Every server, bus person, and host was keyed in on what our experience was going to be. Some gazpacho compliments of the chef (every table had something a little different based on what was ordered). We had at least eight people come to our table to serve, bus, refill, inquire, you name it, but every one of them knew what was going on. It was almost like we were the only diners in the place and they were there only for us, even though the place was full. I LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a new cheflovetodine7VIPDined on 8/26/2014There is only one location like Mr. A's and when you get to the restaurant, you feel transported. Unfortunately, we were there to eat also and the food just wasn't that good.Special Features:
- ken86Dined on 8/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Bertrand at Mr. A's. Greeting was pleasant, seating was prompt (with reservation) our table with magnificent view was lovely and the meals were quite good. Service was prompt but not overbearing. We will return and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- sad sunday night menusteve1939Dined on 8/24/2014after perusing the menu on your web page i was disappointed that the menu for sunday night only included three pages of choices, including appetizers and salads. it was a tremendous letdown to a much anticipated celebration.Special Features:
- DelishDined on 8/23/2014My overall dining experience was fantastic. The view was amazing and Wendy was a phenomenal waitress with helpful tips about the menu and wine list. However, the mushroom risotto was a little too salty and the swordfish was a little bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelente restaurante and view!teejeyDined on 8/23/2014Excelent food and even better view! The staff is very professional and attentive. The food was exquisite, but the main reason to come back is the view.Special Features:
- Great overallRonDizzleDined on 8/23/2014Mr. A's has spectacular views of San Diego for miles. On this particular day of our visit, the weather was absolutely gorgeous and it was a clear day. The food was excellent, and the waiting staff was attentive. This was a more high-end place, so the group I was with lacked the "decorum" of the other guests there, and I think the waiting staff took notice. The web-site was not kidding when they stated there is a strict dress code. While I was waiting to be seated, there was a large group of men who arrived, and a few were wearing jeans, and some wearing sandals. The manager was quick to inform them of the strict dress code, and they men not in suitable clothing had to go change their attire. Overall, this was a great place. Very romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLeTigreDined on 8/22/2014Took my girlfriend here for our six month anniversary. The food was exquisite, the bartender, maître d' and waitress were very knowledgable and professional, and the view was amazing. It was a great experience that we both thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great exoerience, will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I went here for the first time for dinner for my birthday. We had 7:45pm reservations, but got there 20 mins early. Our table wouldn't be ready until closer to our reservation time, so we were taken to the bar and got a drink while we waited. Sunset was just beginning, and the view was stunning. (Great photo op.) The drink was also good. We received perfect service and very delicious food (escargot, filet mignon, & duck) and wine. The view of the city at night is also spectacular. We had a fantastic time and will return for future special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a memorable experiencemargoshopperDined on 8/22/2014The service and food were exceptional, enhanced by the fact that an outdoor roof-top table makes the dining experience unique. This is a special-occasion restaurant on all levels.Special Features:
- Excellent food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Food and service was outstanding. View is unmatched in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre ConcertkabuVIPDined on 8/22/2014We are regulars and always have a wonderful time. The food quality and service is amazing and the view is to die for. Happy hour is fun and the drinks over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Mr. A'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Great atmosphere, good food, and nice service. I order the swordfish and it was very good. The dessert was fine but nothing special.Special Features:
- A great special occasion placeRickDined on 8/21/2014Can't beat the view, the menu choices and service. Best steak ever. Pricey bar, wine selection and menu in general. Easy to park in garage below(use valet parking... Cheap and excellent). They do have a very reasonable, pre-theater menu if you want to eat between 5-6 PM and have tickets in hand. Planning on trying that soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastronomical Delight!CWETaylorDined on 8/19/2014Mark was an outstanding waiter and the food was ALL incredible. Highly recommend the Lobster Bisque and the Lobster Souffle appetizer. All of our meals were incredible and the desserts were great too. The entire experience was a delight and made our last night together in San Diego a memorable one!Special Features:
- Stunning viewsLuvsGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent special occasion place. Exceptional place. Paella and desserts were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!citymomDined on 8/18/2014I was in town with Mastermind with my son and we had the best time overlooking the beautiful view and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr A's is outstandingJandjDined on 8/18/2014We have been coming to this restaurant for 30 years and it is always a special dinner with great service. We just spent my husband's birthday at the restaurant and enjoyed the views of San Diego with an outstanding menu and food. Great service!Special Features:
- Excellent lunch if you have timeRAGFDined on 8/18/2014Outstanding food, tremendous view, and fine atmosphere for business lunch wherein your group does not have to be in-and-out within one hour.Special Features:
- Special Occasion DiningRobbieVIPDined on 8/17/2014For a special occasion restaurant we were not expecting and outstanding experience, however we were entirely wrong. The setting, food and service were beyond our expectation. We would recommend Bertrand at Mister A's for that special event or dinner. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.