Bertrand at Mister A's
2550 Fifth Avenue, Ste 406
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bertrand at Mister A's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/
- Phone: 6192391377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Friday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Saturday - Sunday, 5:000pm - 9:30pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Please be aware that appropriate attire is required. The dress code is dressy business casual, meaning nothing you would wear to the beach or a sporting event. Nice jeans or Bermuda shorts are fine with a collared shirt but nothing overly casual.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Voitzwinkler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 10 or more, it is necessary to call the restaurant directly for reservations.
- Entertainment: Bertrand at Mister A’s restaurant offers one of the most exceptional city views in all of the country. A true site seeing experience with a panoramic view; which encompasses the breathtaking city skyline, San Diego Bay and harbor, Coronado Bridge, Point Loma, Sea World, Balboa Park, the world famous zoo and Mexico high a top Bankers Hill.
A word from Bertrand at Mister A's
You’re just a few minutes from downtown San Diego; take the elevator to the top floor. You won’t believe your eyes! Huge jetliners sweep past at eye level. Our beautiful city’s skyline, San Diego Bay; why settle for just on ocean’s view when you can see the entire city from one vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Bertrand at Mister A's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Bertrand at Mister A's reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (287)special occasion (257)romantic (216)great for outdoor dining (133)fit for foodies (132)notable wine list (109)neighborhood gem (58)good for groups (45)great for brunch (37)great for lunch (37)hot spot (33)late-night find (25)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Order steak - No matter whatEatingInSDDined on 9/26/2014This was my third visit to Mr. A's and a pattern has emerged: the only thing on the menu worth ordering is steak. Every time I've been, I've ordered steak, but others in my party have ordered everything from chicken, to lamb, to seafood. The steak has always been phenomenal and everything else has always been mediocre, at best. This last visit was for restaurant week and both starters that we ordered (lobster bisque and salmon tartare) were just ok. Better lobster bisque can be found at Souplantation. The main courses we ordered were lamb (my date's order) and beef filet. My date barely touched the lamb she ordered, and understandably so. After my delicious beef filet, I only convinced myself to finish the lamb because of its price-tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion SizeDjangoDined on 9/26/2014The only negative I have about my experience is regarding the size of my entrée and the desert. The lobster came in the form of four small nuggets and the desert was a small sliver of chocolate cake. I expected my dinner to be expensive that's part of the experience. But as an American we like to get what we pay for. If I'm paying $45 for an entrée I expect to be pretty full or at least not still hungry after dining. I'm not a very large guy so I don't have an abnormally large appetite. The meal was still very delicious and the service was outstanding. Next time I don't want to leave hungry. I hope this review enacts some change to the portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightmaryodDined on 9/26/2014We had such a good meal. I had the SeaBass Great! someone else had the Lamb Oso buco GREAT We all had different kids of soup for starters Everyone enjoyed theirs. I had the Roasted Tomato Fennel soup. Very tasty. DESERT WELL 3 of us had the Chocolate Carmel Popcorn bar. OUTSTANDING. Then one other had the Creme Brûlée, he said it was the best he has had. We got there at 6 saw the sun set then we saw all the lights of the city. VERY pretty spot. We love it and will be back very soon. Highly recommend going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingShefriDined on 9/25/2014We were here for restaurant week, and maybe that makes a difference. My lobster bisque was odd, my penne paella was a true disappointment--one shrimp, several mussels and overcooked fish over what tasted like store-bought pasta, moments of good flavor but not enough. Creme brulee was very good. DH had fantastic truffle mac n cheese, the best dish of the night. His duck confit was also good and the salted caramel bar had tasty elements that worked together well. Now the real problem--the service was rushed, really rushed. I guess if you want a three course dinner served in an hour this is your place. That isn't why I go out to eat. Servers were constantly rushing between us and the view--not relaxing. I won't return despite the view.Special Features:
- Date NightJediswimmerVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is a perfect scenic date night spot. French food, great view, and a wait staff that is attentive yet not overbearing. Expect a great experience with Bertrand at Mister A's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveperfectionDined on 9/25/2014It was an absolutely delightful lunch. The menu for restaurant week offered excellent choices. The service was impeccable and very friendly. The quality and presentation of the different courses was outstanding. I cannot wait to go back for dinner once again.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014We have been to Mr. A's on several occasions and always rated it highly in every category. However, this time, I spent most of the time brushing several flys away from my food. The other concern was the food: while it tasted fine I must have eaten something that wasn't quite right as I started feeling very ill before the end of the dinner and I was ill all night. And no, it wasn't the 1 glass of wine I had. Will we return - not for quite a while.
- Such a treatSDsurfmomDined on 9/24/2014Killer SD view, impeccable service and amazing cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchNadineDined on 9/24/2014My coworker and I had lunch during restaurant week. The price was reasonable and the food was exquisite. I had the Cioppino with penne and my coworker had the Shepherds pie, both were delicious and just the right portion for lunch. We were seated at a table next to the window so we could enjoy the million dollar view. Perfect for out of town guests and special celebrations. You can't go wrong with Mr. A's.Special Features:
- Awesome dinneraurelielDined on 9/23/2014Love this place, I have been here a few times and the food and service is always outstandingSpecial Features:
- Awesome viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2014Went there for restaurant week. Awesome view as usual from the top of this building with outdoor and indoor dining. Food was excellent as usual.Special Features:
- Go Chris!camsterDined on 9/23/2014Our server, Chris, was knowledgeable and professional, but also very personable. He was polite but also charming. In addition to the breath-taking views at Bertrand at Mister A's, the service was just top-notch. We were attended to by every last employee at one point or another. It seemed like everyone genuinely cared that we were enjoying ourselves. My girlfriend got the Filet Mignon, and I got the Sea Bass. Both dishes were absolutely surreal. The food was divine, to put it simply. Overall, I would recommend this place to ANYONE, friends and enemies included. It's just too good to not try at least once in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb TimeGPGJBDined on 9/23/2014My girlfriend and I had a great time at Mister A's. We arrived a little early and hit the bar for some signature cocktails. Sean, the bartender, was extremely knowledgeable and was fun to talk to. Chris, was another bartender and put us at ease and made the time that much more enjoyable. The view is by far one of the best in the city and was breathtaking around sunset. The staff was professional and went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we had an unforgettable time, which made this occasion that much more special. I will definitely return to Mister A's in the future and recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to have great dinner and one of a kind view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicetomscot2Dined on 9/23/20144 of us went to Bertrand at Mr. A's for restaurant week. The fixed price menu had great selections and the ability to have some additional choices for a few dollars more was nice touch. Mark, the waiter was EXCELLENT. He humored our feeble attempts at being charming by out charming us. He was the right amount of attentive. Each of our courses were perfectly prepared and presented. We were making satisfied noises with most every bite. Finally, the view was unbeatable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant WeekLJwalkerDined on 9/23/2014We arrived at Mr A's and were sitted at a lovely table. Upon reading the restrant week menu it was a 2 coarse meal deal... if you wanted dessert incluced in was an additional $7.50 and the portion was a very small rammickin. My pork was over cooked and my friend's looked over done. The service was attentive but slow. We enjoyed the location and the view of San Diego, but overall I was disappointed in the meal.Special Features:
- Best view of the city!foodiegirlDined on 9/22/2014Food was spot on.Delicious watermelon "picnic" drink is my new fave! The seared sea bass was delicious and so was everything else.If you haven't been here,what are you waiting for? You can dine outside,they do have heating lamps.Best views are facing west side of course.Dress to impress,no shorts and sandals here Californians!Your wife/girlfriend will love you all night for taking her here! Restaurant is the way to go so you can have 3-courses and enjoy yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid "Restaurant Week!"OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Always, always love this place - have recommended it for years to family and friends. Imagine our surprise when we booked a table for my wife's birthday - only to find out when we opened our menus that it was restaurant week. :-( That meant that we could NOT order our favorite dishes, but were very limited on what we could choose. We both chose the lobster bisque as a starter (wanted a salad!) and didn't care for it. Filet was great, desert was good. Will avoid restaurant week from now on.
- Excellent service, good foodFoodGirlDined on 9/21/2014The service and dessert were excellent. For the price, however, the food was good, not great. The one potato on my plate was lukewarm and dry, a bit of a miss for a high end place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened to the Service?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014I love Mr. A's. Best view in San Diego. Great food, great ambience. But this time the service was horrific. Took 15 minutes to get menus, then another 15 minutes to be allowed to order, food came quickly, but our waitress seemed more interested in other tables. Repeated requests for water went unanswered. The busboy bonked my guest in the head with his plate. Disappointing. Will go back, but will hope for better service.Special Features:
- Wonderful, As AlwayskatmarieVIPDined on 9/21/2014We've been to Mr. A's for several outstanding meals. It has one of the very best views in San Diego, and each dish was delicious. Some of our favorites were the compte mac and cheese and the duck con fit. Service was wonderful, and we will certainly return for a special occasion soon!Special Features:
- A San Diego FavoriteSymilarianDined on 9/21/2014I had not been to Mr A's for long time. It was a complete surprise from my last visit. This is a first class beutifully layed out retaurant. The ambiance the service the wine list and the food were top notch. The patio dining on a nice evening is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeeklovesgoodfoodDined on 9/21/2014The food was good, but no better than what I can find in a good restaurant in my neighborhood at a fraction of the cost. My dinner consisted of fish (bass), rice, in what I think was a lobster sauce, and some fried zucchini. The sauce was a little sweet but didn't overwhelm the fish or rice. The fish was very good--tender with a crisp skin. My dessert was creme brulee topped with a few berries. It had no flavor--it was sweet but had no discernible flavor. I order creme brulee almost every time I go out, so I've tasted many different types. This is the first time I've had one with no flavor; however, the fruit was ripe and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance the night away with a view!ShoNeetDined on 9/21/2014Very classy restaurant. Perfect got that special intimate occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experiencegr8tfoodDined on 9/21/2014We went for our Anniversary which happened to be at the start of Restaurant Week. Great, menu, great food and the best service we have ever received in any restaurant. Service was orchestrated beautifully and quickly, yet not over attentive. Somehow, staff stayed invisible until it was the perfect time to appear and take your plate, etc. We had a lovely table with views of both the planes flying in to land and the sunset. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Excellent cuisineFoodieKDined on 9/21/2014Went for Restaurant Week. Will definitely go back! Food delicious, presentation exquisite and portions of good size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DisappointmentSadNSanDiegoDined on 9/21/2014We eat at Mister A's a couple of times a year. We tried their Restaurant Week menu for the first time. The waiter was obviously new but had done little to no preparation for his role. He was not familiar with several of the main dishes and couldn't even describe how they were to be prepared ("We've never offered osso buco before."). We opted for the wine pairings, my wife ordered two whites and myself, two reds. The appetizers arrived. No waiter and no wine. I hailed him as we were finishing our appetizers. My wife got her first course white and I was served her second course white. Even after this error, two reds came with our entree. I observed other waiters ignoring our waiter's obvious confusion during the evening. Quite sad.Special Features:
- Service was amazingGlenda20Dined on 9/20/2014The food and the view are awesome, we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best 1st experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014For my very first experience it was very great my waiter Chris was amazing suggesting food wise I like it. If somebody were to ask where is a good place to eat for occasion I'd say Mr. As.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Celebrating my wife's "major birthday" she wanted it to be at Mr. A's. Although window tables cannot be reserved in advance the kind hostess arranged for one of the best tables facing the oncoming sunset. What a great start for a memorable meal. First of all your staff was very attentive without being overly so, as can sometimes happen. Next, the menu was both extensive and very creative. My wife enjoyed the rack of lamb while I was happy to discover the Duo comprising both a small filet and rib meat artfully prepared and presented. The wine list was very extensive as well. The Chef sent a small Birthday plate to our table at meal's end to wrap up a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Great everything!JasonDined on 9/19/2014The food was great, not super filling, but really good. The view is unbeatable with a direct view of downtown San Diego and the flight path for San Diego International. The service was attentive, friendly, and kind. Would definitely return for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great view, decent foodChanSDDined on 9/16/2014Truffled fries and mac&cheese: amazing Lamb chops: overrated Ambiance and view: spectacularSpecial Features:
- shyguyDined on 9/15/2014Amazing food, amazing views, great place for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SpecialGoSunsVIPDined on 9/14/2014It is always a treat to come here for dinner. The service was impeccable, as usual, and the food was delightful, as usual.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014This was a family get together before my granddaughter headed back to college. It ended up being a wonderful memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Son's 30th Birthdaycantwait2returnDined on 9/13/2014Impeccable dining experience. Highly professional yet down to earth feel. Not snobby at all. Beautiful setting inside and out. Welcoming, upscale , inviting, kind and the food- to die for! I cannot wait to go back! Everyone gracious, happy and professional from the moment we arrived to the time we left. Perfect place to celebrate a special birthday with the family or enjoy a special date one on one.Special Features:
- Love the staffTJNeneDined on 9/12/2014Love the staff, the food, the views and my hubby for taking me there.Special Features:
- Amazing viewSeanVIPDined on 9/11/2014Service is a bit stuffy, and the food is above average, but you come here for the view.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staffRomanceDined on 9/10/2014We had reservations and when we got there it didn't take too long to get sited, after that our waiter was really good and made sure that we were taken care of. The food was good and they had nice proportions, not too little or too much it was just right. I was hopping for a little bit more from them when I told them I was celebrating my girlfriends birthday ahead of time but they didn't do much about it to make her day more special but other than that it was a good experiense overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr A's is okdavethereluctantreviewerDined on 9/8/2014I don't normally spend a lot eating out, but since it was my wife's birthday, i thought it would be special. The staff is excellent and the service and atmosphere was great. The food was mostly very good, my steak was kinda dry, though very tasty, but not a $50.00 steak. Like i said, it was special, but i don't think we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Mr. A's is a restaurant that never dissappoints. Food, service, ambience are all fantastic and the view of downtown and the bay is unmatched. Although it is pricey, the value is there as the food is impeccably prepared and served. I am particularly fond of fried zuchinni blossoms, and the one served with the appetizer special was far and away the best I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.