Bertrand at Mister A's
2550 Fifth Avenue, Ste 406
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bertrand at Mister A's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/
- Phone: 6192391377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Friday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Saturday - Sunday, 5:000pm - 9:30pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Please be aware that appropriate attire is required. The dress code is dressy business casual, meaning nothing you would wear to the beach or a sporting event. Nice jeans or Bermuda shorts are fine with a collared shirt but nothing overly casual.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Voitzwinkler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 10 or more, it is necessary to call the restaurant directly for reservations.
- Entertainment: Bertrand at Mister A’s restaurant offers one of the most exceptional city views in all of the country. A true site seeing experience with a panoramic view; which encompasses the breathtaking city skyline, San Diego Bay and harbor, Coronado Bridge, Point Loma, Sea World, Balboa Park, the world famous zoo and Mexico high a top Bankers Hill.
A word from Bertrand at Mister A's
You’re just a few minutes from downtown San Diego; take the elevator to the top floor. You won’t believe your eyes! Huge jetliners sweep past at eye level. Our beautiful city’s skyline, San Diego Bay; why settle for just on ocean’s view when you can see the entire city from one vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bertrand at Mister A's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Bertrand at Mister A's reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (270)special occasion (233)romantic (209)great for outdoor dining (125)fit for foodies (111)notable wine list (98)great for brunch (49)neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (46)great for lunch (42)hot spot (30)late-night find (25)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Best Spot San DiegoTravelerDined on 8/30/2014Great place to see the city and enjoy world class food and view. Everyone is happy you are there and makes you feel welcome. A 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014We reserved a week in advance, requesting a table outdoors & a flour less dessert for my wife's BD. They called me 4 days before to confirm RSV and outside seating which I confirmed. The day of the reservation, 4 hrs before our arrival time, they called me to inform me that they couldn't accommodate our dessert request because we did not due it with at least "36 hrs before" ............hmmmmmm? THEY CALLED ME FOUR DAYS BEFORE TO CONFIRM MY ATTENDANCE AND MY SEATING REQUEST!! Very disappointed with their attitude, lack of professionalism & overall, quality of food!
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014I took my wife here for our 2 year wedding anniversary and it was incredible. Great food, great view, and super attentive staff. Our waitress was very knowledgeable of the menu and had several great recommendations. The view is the best in San Diego; we were able to see sunset and the city light up, if you have a special occasion, then Mr. A's is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notchHoppyDined on 8/27/2014The only reason I don't 5 star the overall rating is that in consideration of my guest I sat with my back to the view.Special Features:
- An amazing experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014When you check in and within minutes every service person on the floor knows your name. When we show up early, head to the bar for cocktails, a server comes to us and places our drinks on a tray and pulls my wife's chair out for her before showing us to our table and seating us. Every server, bus person, and host was keyed in on what our experience was going to be. Some gazpacho compliments of the chef (every table had something a little different based on what was ordered). We had at least eight people come to our table to serve, bus, refill, inquire, you name it, but every one of them knew what was going on. It was almost like we were the only diners in the place and they were there only for us, even though the place was full. I LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a new chefOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/26/2014There is only one location like Mr. A's and when you get to the restaurant, you feel transported. Unfortunately, we were there to eat also and the food just wasn't that good.Special Features:
- ken86Dined on 8/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Bertrand at Mr. A's. Greeting was pleasant, seating was prompt (with reservation) our table with magnificent view was lovely and the meals were quite good. Service was prompt but not overbearing. We will return and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- sad sunday night menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014after perusing the menu on your web page i was disappointed that the menu for sunday night only included three pages of choices, including appetizers and salads. it was a tremendous letdown to a much anticipated celebration.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014My overall dining experience was fantastic. The view was amazing and Wendy was a phenomenal waitress with helpful tips about the menu and wine list. However, the mushroom risotto was a little too salty and the swordfish was a little bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelente restaurante and view!teejeyDined on 8/23/2014Excelent food and even better view! The staff is very professional and attentive. The food was exquisite, but the main reason to come back is the view.Special Features:
- Great overallRonDizzleDined on 8/23/2014Mr. A's has spectacular views of San Diego for miles. On this particular day of our visit, the weather was absolutely gorgeous and it was a clear day. The food was excellent, and the waiting staff was attentive. This was a more high-end place, so the group I was with lacked the "decorum" of the other guests there, and I think the waiting staff took notice. The web-site was not kidding when they stated there is a strict dress code. While I was waiting to be seated, there was a large group of men who arrived, and a few were wearing jeans, and some wearing sandals. The manager was quick to inform them of the strict dress code, and they men not in suitable clothing had to go change their attire. Overall, this was a great place. Very romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLeTigreDined on 8/22/2014Took my girlfriend here for our six month anniversary. The food was exquisite, the bartender, maître d' and waitress were very knowledgable and professional, and the view was amazing. It was a great experience that we both thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great exoerience, will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I went here for the first time for dinner for my birthday. We had 7:45pm reservations, but got there 20 mins early. Our table wouldn't be ready until closer to our reservation time, so we were taken to the bar and got a drink while we waited. Sunset was just beginning, and the view was stunning. (Great photo op.) The drink was also good. We received perfect service and very delicious food (escargot, filet mignon, & duck) and wine. The view of the city at night is also spectacular. We had a fantastic time and will return for future special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a memorable experiencemargoshopperDined on 8/22/2014The service and food were exceptional, enhanced by the fact that an outdoor roof-top table makes the dining experience unique. This is a special-occasion restaurant on all levels.Special Features:
- Excellent food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Food and service was outstanding. View is unmatched in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre ConcertkabuVIPDined on 8/22/2014We are regulars and always have a wonderful time. The food quality and service is amazing and the view is to die for. Happy hour is fun and the drinks over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Mr. A'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Great atmosphere, good food, and nice service. I order the swordfish and it was very good. The dessert was fine but nothing special.Special Features:
- A great special occasion placeRickDined on 8/21/2014Can't beat the view, the menu choices and service. Best steak ever. Pricey bar, wine selection and menu in general. Easy to park in garage below(use valet parking... Cheap and excellent). They do have a very reasonable, pre-theater menu if you want to eat between 5-6 PM and have tickets in hand. Planning on trying that soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastronomical Delight!CWETaylorDined on 8/19/2014Mark was an outstanding waiter and the food was ALL incredible. Highly recommend the Lobster Bisque and the Lobster Souffle appetizer. All of our meals were incredible and the desserts were great too. The entire experience was a delight and made our last night together in San Diego a memorable one!Special Features:
- Stunning viewsLuvsGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent special occasion place. Exceptional place. Paella and desserts were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!citymomDined on 8/18/2014I was in town with Mastermind with my son and we had the best time overlooking the beautiful view and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr A's is outstandingJandjDined on 8/18/2014We have been coming to this restaurant for 30 years and it is always a special dinner with great service. We just spent my husband's birthday at the restaurant and enjoyed the views of San Diego with an outstanding menu and food. Great service!Special Features:
- Excellent lunch if you have timeRAGFDined on 8/18/2014Outstanding food, tremendous view, and fine atmosphere for business lunch wherein your group does not have to be in-and-out within one hour.Special Features:
- Special Occasion DiningRobbieVIPDined on 8/17/2014For a special occasion restaurant we were not expecting and outstanding experience, however we were entirely wrong. The setting, food and service were beyond our expectation. We would recommend Bertrand at Mister A's for that special event or dinner. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!PrimadonnaDined on 8/17/2014Most places don't take reservations - Bertand at Mr. A's does. Brunch starts at 10:00 - a little late for me but it was fine. We were the first people there and the only one's for a while. The menu has a lot of lunch items - we would have liked more variety of breakfast but what we had was wonderful. Drinks were expensive - $12. We started out with a sampling of their homemade donuts...heavenly - Maple Bacon and Lemon Meringue - Little round puffs of billowy dough. My husband had the pork belly/sweet potato hash with slaw (I think fruit would have been better). I had the Croque Madame - delicious and not too heavy, someone also had the pork belly eggs benedict. Everything was fresh, hot and delicious. Impeccable Service.Special Features:
- Great dinner!RodneyDined on 8/16/2014There were 4 of us for dinner to celebrate a birthday. The place has some of the best views in town and this night did not disappoint. The staff here is top notch and always were attentive without being intrusive. The food was absolutely incredible, the best I have had in a very long time. This will be a regular stop when in San Diego for sure!!!!Special Features:
- Treated as if I Was Mr. A MyselfDJStacheDined on 8/16/2014After the reviews I've read, I came into this restaurant expecting staff who would act as if they were too high and mighty to acknowledge a young couple. Maybe it's because my girlfriend and I were well dressed or maybe it's just that others had a bad day to foreshadow their negative experience at Mr A's. There was a minor mix up the moment I arrived. I had asked for outdoor seating on my reservation and called the day of to confirm, but was told the tables were all full. So when we arrived we were seated inside. I immediately asked for outdoor seating when I saw that several tables were available and was quickly moved. The view is like no other. Down town skyline with planes coming down for landing. The food is on point. Out of charactersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I spent our two year anniversary together here, and it was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular View - Very good foodCarolDined on 8/14/2014Very nice find - perhaps the best view in San Diego overlooking the city and bay - terrific at sunset. Very good service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCDinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Fantastic food with a spectacular view. If you have only one meal in San Diego, have it here!Special Features:
- Duck, duck, pork?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Duck breast with fried duck rinds--delicious! You take a great piece of meat and improve on its best feature by frying the skin separately. I wish they were available to go as a late night snack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFoodieBigDined on 8/11/2014Bertrand was everything I expect in a fine dining restaurant. The ambience was elegant but energetic and high-class without being too stuffy or formal. The waiters were classy but very down to earth as well and helped make the experience very enjoyable. The food was what you expect at a fine dining restaurant–fairly small proportions of amazing tasting food that looks as good as it tastes. We started off with escargot and seared scallops which were amazing. The garlic, parsley butter on the escargot was so good that we used it all up on our bread. My short ribs were packed with amazing flavor and melted in my mouth. Oh and by the way, the view of downtown San Diego and the bay is incredible.Special Features:
- Another Top Notch Dining experienceirossfamDined on 8/11/2014The service, food quality, views, and staff are all top notch at Mister A's. When in San Diego we always make an evening of having dinner at Mister A's. There are many choices in San Diego but Mister A's should be at the top of your list. A classic dining experience with old school type of service!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationHappymomDined on 8/10/2014Mr. A's was an excellent choice to take our son out for his 26th birthday. The food was delicious, the view was spectacular and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Came for brunch to celebrate mine and my girlfriend's 3rd anniversary. While the food was beyond our expectations, our server definitely left much to be desired. It took more than 15 minutes to get our drink order, another 15 before another server came to appologize for the wait and that our drinks would be on the way. Our server seemed flustered and distracted, as if our presence was a neusance. I noticed other parties receiving much better service, and the other servers who helped us were clearly on top of their game. I would not complain about this if it were not for the price: $180 for two dishes and 4 drinks. I expect much better in terms of service. I will be returning, tho i hope someone receives this feedback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!TommyTDined on 8/9/2014I recently went there for our anniversary, and they were outstanding! I booked through Open Table and let them know that it was our anniversary and requested a table outside. They called me in advance and said that would be fine. The waiter was very friendly and courteous. While the prices were somewhat higher than your average restaurant, the experience is worth it! The portions were great as we were full yet didn't take anything home. They even gave us a chocolate platter at the end with icing saying "Happy Anniversary". I didn't tell them to do that, but boy did I look good! I wouldn't go every weekend, but definitely on a special occasion!Special Features:
- Special occasionMinouVIPDined on 8/8/2014Mr. A's is a place to go to for a special occasion where you want to dress up and pay over the top prices for basically just good food. You can't beat the view and my suggestion would be to go there for either lunch or their Happy Hour menu and enjoy the scene. Our server was great though - very professional and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Great food service not so muchtalonmedicDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful view, terrific food (although stay away rom the duck kinda dry and tasteless). Service was spotty other tables seemed to get more attention (did I know our waiter? Do I owe him money? ) anyway overall a very good experience but really expensive. Would have been ok except the service for our table wasn't matching the price paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SloaneDined on 8/8/2014We had reservations and were promptly seated. Our table was by a window with a nice view. Our food was delicious and well presented. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend or family member or out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put on Sun Screen!SDRWFindVIPDined on 8/8/2014You don't realize it until you come home with a burnt face, but if you eat outside for lunch you really need to put on sunscreen! Maybe Mr. A's could offer some to guests who want to sit outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.