Bertrand at Mister A's
2550 Fifth Avenue, Ste 406
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bertrand at Mister A's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/
- Phone: 6192391377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Friday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Saturday - Sunday, 5:000pm - 9:30pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Please be aware that appropriate attire is required. The dress code is dressy business casual, meaning nothing you would wear to the beach or a sporting event. Nice jeans or Bermuda shorts are fine with a collared shirt but nothing overly casual.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Voitzwinkler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 10 or more, it is necessary to call the restaurant directly for reservations.
- Entertainment: Bertrand at Mister A’s restaurant offers one of the most exceptional city views in all of the country. A true site seeing experience with a panoramic view; which encompasses the breathtaking city skyline, San Diego Bay and harbor, Coronado Bridge, Point Loma, Sea World, Balboa Park, the world famous zoo and Mexico high a top Bankers Hill.
A word from Bertrand at Mister A's
You’re just a few minutes from downtown San Diego; take the elevator to the top floor. You won’t believe your eyes! Huge jetliners sweep past at eye level. Our beautiful city’s skyline, San Diego Bay; why settle for just on ocean’s view when you can see the entire city from one vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bertrand at Mister A's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Bertrand at Mister A's reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (241)special occasion (215)romantic (202)great for outdoor dining (112)notable wine list (98)fit for foodies (95)great for brunch (46)neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (38)great for lunch (37)hot spot (20)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Mr. Big StuffTacobellTopchefDined on 7/26/2014Mr. A's is amazing. The view is wonderful. The waitstaff are extremely attentive. The food is great. The view is even better. If you want to really show your man/woman how much you car for them, definitely take them here.Special Features:
- Always GoodHowcrabDined on 7/26/2014Mr A's is always good. The food was superb (Dover sole, lamb cooked to perfection). We did complain about the baby beet salad which was really quinoa/olive salad with a few small beet pieces. However this was beautifully taken care of by our waitress when my wife was handed a plate of just roasted baby beets. The only reason it was not 5 stars all round was the slowness of the drinks service - I was well into my lamb before I got my glass of red wine. Not our waitress' fault as the bar was backed up. She was really good. A small quibble in a very enjoyable anniversary evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for an occasionwb13Dined on 7/25/2014Couldn't be happier with the whole evening. Beautiful scenery, great food, spectacular service. 10/10.Special Features:
- Fantastic!chrisDined on 7/25/2014We came here for our anniversary, and were surprised by how the restaurant was setup. It was on top of a building, roof top restaurant, beautiful scenery. Food was so delicious, drinks were fantastic, the service was great. I could not ask for more for our anniversary. They gave us a free dessert for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bertrand at Mister A's ReviewBillandCarolDined on 7/25/2014Very good restaurant. GREAT STAFF! and outstanding food. Wonderful locale. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular views over san diegojcc1Dined on 7/21/2014Great setting and views from the balcony. We arrived just in time for our booking after a long journey and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Fillet to die for!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Delicious food, amazing view, friendly staff. Beef fillet was incredible, escargot was good & dipping that awesome bread IN the escargot juice/butter was even better. The staff made our anniversary dinner one to remember.Special Features:
- Wonderful views, lots of romanceGrumpyoldmanDined on 7/20/2014I've been going to Mr. A's since the 1970's....always a treat....always a spectacular view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overview OverheardDiningDelightsDined on 7/20/2014We made another trip to Mr. A's for Sunday brunch and this time we both got the chicken and waffles, which were excellent. The service was polite and attentive as always. My only complaint is that they tend to seat all the diners at adjacent tables. Presumably the are using the tables they feel have the best view, but one table separation between diners (when they have the unused tables as they did this day) would really be appreciated in terms of not making us a part of our neighbors conversation.Special Features:
- Great Food and Wonderful View!RenegadebbDined on 7/19/2014We had a beautiful view from our table. Our service was excellent! The food was just fabulous. We shared some appetizers like the Lobster Strudel (YUM!) and the main courses were all great. Wanted to have dessert, but we were all too full. I will definitely be back and would highly recommend. Next time would love to sit outside and enjoy the view up close.Special Features:
- Amazing!MrAgetsAnADined on 7/18/2014The atmosphere was fantastic and romantic. If you dine on the patio it's a beautiful view of San Diego. If you are there past 9:50 you will even get a nice firework show courtesy of Sea World during Summer nights. The service was a tad slow at first, however I wasn't annoyed because the service provided was outstanding and the staff were extremely polite & friendly. The rest of the night the service was a nice pace. My date and I appreciated them continuing to turn the heater lamps back on whenever the wind blew it out, which unfortunately for them was fairly often that night. Thanks guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewFoodlover1Dined on 7/17/2014Very nice view and good food, though there is a premium built into the menu prices for the view--I would estimate the premium at 10-15% compared for comparable high-end dining spots. Still, the view is one-of-a-kind and worth it for a special occasion or entertaining visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningKardonDined on 7/15/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday. It was a special evening with great food and stellar service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressiveActualchefsDined on 7/15/2014We went for our anniversary and the restaurant blew my mindSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Went there with my husband for our first anniversary and loved it! They even surprised us with a special treat, personalizing it even! Our waiter Chris was great!! Food was delicious, the wine was tasty and the views were devine! Will definitely recommend to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Outstanding food, service, and view overlooking the city! Best resturant in San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but not GreatCefAquinoDined on 7/8/2014We came there for our 8th wedding Anniversay. Out Apps were delicious, we ordered the roasted pork belly with lentils and the lobster bisque. Our main entree is just ok. We ordered the braised short ribs and the paella. Their paella is disappointing. Taste is bland. Then our dessert is creme brûlée and it tasted old. Over-all ambiance is just fantastic and service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the view or service...SANDflyerDined on 7/6/2014Just know, you are going there for the view and the service. The BEST VEIW in the city. Some of the food was very good. The short ribs were fork tender, but the paella was pathetic. (sorry, but the chicken had gristle on it and it was bland for us). The service was friendly and attentive!!! We've dined here a few times before, and never had a bad meal, till this time.Special Features:
- A very special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2014Took a friend to Bertrand's for a 70th Birthday celebration and it was perfect for the occasion. The view is, of course, spectacular. The food was excellent and the service unsurpassed. It was a Sunday brunch, and surprisingly quiet. More people should enjoy this lovely spot on a Sunday when there's easy, free street parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Food was excellent, service was superb. Beautiful views. George was really fantastic. Will return next time in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Evening - RomanticRobert200Dined on 7/5/2014Thoroughly enjoyed a romantic evening with my wife. The setting was quiet; the service impeccable; the food & presentation great.Special Features:
- Excellent servicevmn32Dined on 7/4/2014I dine here often, and i am always pleased with the food and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th of JulyAMorozVIPDined on 7/4/2014We reserve 4th of July prefix dinner for 2 of us. Dinner was not as we expect from our preferred restaurant and previous exerience. Food wasn't as good as always and waiter was rushing us through the whole dinner. My wife get upset, we use to enjoy dinner, view and evening. This time was opposite. I will never sign again for so call "prefixed dinner".
- Best Fireworks View in SDdllandesDined on 7/4/2014We dined on the patio on July 4th to get a great view of the fireworks show in the bay. There is not a better view of SD to be found. The menu was prix fixe and for $75/person, a great value. The crab cocktail was meaty, sweet, and very fresh. My wife had the sea bass, and I had tge beef wellington. Both were expertly prepared and cooked to order. Service was spot on and exceptional. Our server attended to our needs in a timely manner, was professional, and made us feel as if we were his only table (despite another table that was very high-maintenance and complained about every aspect of everything the entire evening). We come here a couple of times each year when in town and have always been pleased.Special Features:
- OutstandingJamesMackayJMMDined on 7/4/2014Fantastic food and top class service - and a spectacular view!! A very impressive restaurant.Special Features:
- Bertrand's at Mr. A'sGlenDined on 7/3/2014Service, presentation and quality all meet high expectations. Just the right amount of attention. Well educated service team. Wine list was diverse in offerings and price without being so extensive that it was too much to absorb. Everything was just the right balance.Special Features:
- Great view, food & serviceFlydiveDined on 7/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. In truth, the staff doted on us. And the view is spectacular, especially after sunset. If you come away from here disappointed I'd be given to concluding you were looking to be so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/1/2014I'm so happy we picked Mister A's to celebrate our Anniversary. This restaurant is a San Diego staple, the view is the best in San Diego (in my opinion), the food is phenomenal, and ambiance is romantic. I would highly recommend any looking to celebrate a special occasion keep Mister A's an open option...you won't regret it!Special Features:
- Great customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014This was a special occasion... 26th anniversary. We were seated outside with a terrific view. The wait-staff were superb! Very pleasant, accomodating, and suggested ideas to visit within the surrounding area.Special Features:
- Celebrate in styleWillSoonReturnDined on 6/29/2014We learned about Bertrand at Mister A's via a web column on San Diego's best views. Visiting from Alberta, Canada for a birthday weekend, our experience in this restaurant was a wonderful climax to a great weekend! Our server, Wendy, has 17 years of fine dining serving experience and she was a delight. The view is spectacular. An unexpected bonus was getting to see two fireworks displays because of the panoramic vista the venue provides. And of course the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!DKMKVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great service, Great view, and Great food! I recommend Bertrand at Mister A'sSpecial Features:
- Just as nice as I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014Had not been to MrA's in years, but on my list of great places. Fantastic meal and excellent service. Pricey, but you get what you pay for in food, device, ambiance, and view.Special Features:
- The only "WOW" is the viewDaveDDined on 6/27/2014Had the "special" New York strip. Pretty good, but for a great steak, go to one of San Diego's excellent steak houses. Can't say that any dish was bad, if fact, they were all pretty good - but not great. Service was quite good. Attentive, but not obtrusive. The view of downtown and the airplanes on landing approach at nearly eye level is definitely the "WOW" here. Can't beat it. Martinis were the weakest we've had ANYWHERE. No way to prove it, but it sure seemed like the gin was watered down. Wouldn't expect anything like that from such an upscale place. Without this issue, I would have given a 4 star overall rating. Used to go to Mr. A's in the 80s. Used to love their steak Dianne. No longer served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time in two weeksSDRunnerDined on 6/27/2014My brother and sister-in-law from NYC were visiting and we decided to take them to Mister A's. We had been there only two weeks before for our anniversary and loved it, so we thought it would be a good choice. We were not disappointed and neither were our guests. Great view, wonderful, delicious food and fantastic service. Tom served us and was very attentive from the opening arrival to taking pictures on the balcony when we were preparing to leave. It's always fun to discover a wonderful, go to restaurant when you have lived in a city for many years. Our only regret is that we didn't discover Mister A's sooner! But we will be back knowing what we know.Special Features:
- ReviewDannyDined on 6/25/2014Outside dining is quite extraordinary. Beautiful view and ;lots of planes to watch landing. Food is excellent and service is close to perfect but a little lax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014Best restaurant in San Diego and a very memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014Ambience outstanding but the food and service did not come up to what we remember from a previous dining experience a number of years ago.Special Features:
- This is a great find!slmcanalDined on 6/22/2014This is the second time I've visited Bertrand at Mister A's. It lived up to the first fabulous experience I enjoyed there. The view is spectacular. The food is excellent. I'd recommend it to everyone who wants a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten stars for food and service6oldfriendsDined on 6/20/2014Bertrand at Mister A's is a fabulous place for dining. the price is high but the spectacular food, drinks and service make it a lot of bang for the buck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2014The view and service are the best. The prices are not out of line for the level of service. The food is better than what you find at most top end restaurants. The prices are only for those that can afford it. Plan ahead and expect sticker shock. The view is the only reason to dine here as it is the best in Southern California. The view compares with the Space Needle in Seattle, Vancouver Tower in Vancouver, Canada and the Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage.Special Features: