20 West Lane
Ridgefield, CT 06877Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bernardsridgefield.com/
- Phone: (203) 438-8282
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday -Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm. Closed Monday's.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Bernard Bouissou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Catering: WE offer off-premise catering. Please call Elizabeth at (203)856-2537 for more information.
- Entertainment: Sarah's wine bar features live music Wednesday thru Saturday & our Jazz Masters Series the last Sunday of each month. Bernard's offer live piano music Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday brunch
- Special Events: Bernard's offers Wine tasting Dinner, cooking classes, Author luncheons, Jazz Masters Series and live entertainment
A word from Bernard's
Bernard's features contemporary French Cuisine in an elegant Country Inn setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Bernard's - Best Restaurants in Ridgefield ›
Bernard's reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)notable wine list (31)fit for foodies (30)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OutstandingJoeCVIPDined on 5/24/2014From beginning to end this was an outstanding experience. I've been to many Michelin rated restaurants in New York City and this restaurant can compete with any of them. The service was outstanding and the food was the best I've eaten in Connecticut. It's apparent by the food preparation and service that the owners have a lot of pride in this restaurant. This was a great find in a very nice section of Connecticut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to their usual standards.jwcooperDined on 5/18/2014On a Sunday night, the 'B' team must have been in charge. Service was exceptionally slow even though they weren't that busy, and the food was disappointing compared to our previous visits. And it was a big disappointment that their House Cured Bacon Sampler was not available that night. While the house-cured Bresaola with the goat cheese fig pine nut crepes was very good, the Wild Boar 2 ways was a big disappointment, with the chop as tough as cardboard and with little flavor. The Jumbo Lump Crabmeat salad had little flavor: the grapefruit overpowered it and the Crispy Sweetbreads had little taste either. The Cheese selections were fine but the promised bread was missing. We've loved Bernard's in the past but all 4 of us were disappointed.
- Great PlacemodernartbrewsDined on 5/18/2014Food was excellent as was service. The price point was high, but we knew that going in. The wine bar upstairs was excellent as well.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2014Our first visit was for an early Mother's Day dinner. Service was very spotty even at 5:30 and the prixe fixe menu offered few to no modern choices. Both our servers seemed surprisingly inexperienced. As a non-dairy eater, they served me the same first "on the house" course as I ordered for an appetizer. I managed to get my weeks worth of beets in one meal! We each chose a different main dish and all three were just ok. I can easily say the wine was the best part of the meal and that was $25 a glass.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Wife, daughter and I went for Mother's Day dinner. Incredible. Many restaurants simply mail it in on holidays, but Bernard's, which is always fabulous, really takes it up a notch on holidays -- service, food, everything, was just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!JohnDined on 5/10/2014Superb food and terrific service! One of the best dining experiences in recent memory.Special Features:
- Alisa's Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2014Bernards was a pleasant find. I had eaten here many years ago when it was under different ownership. The ambiance is lovely and it is a romantic spot for a special dinner. The food and service are both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Country DininghenleyDined on 5/4/2014A lovely, first class experience. Our only wish was that they had been somewhat more generous in pouring a glass of wine.Special Features:
- OutstandingGreatfuldinnerDined on 5/3/2014Top notch service, food and wine. Cuisine is balanced and delicate, harnessing wonderful flavor combinations from the high quality ingredients. Exceptional wine list. They made a cake from scratch on short notice for my daughter. When it cooled outside they brought us blankets.Special Features:
- Perfect ChoiceKathBonVIPDined on 5/2/2014We wanted a special dinner to celebrate our anniversary, and Bernard's lived up to our expectations for the evening. Great service, excellent wine list, and very fresh, well prepared food. The piano player was a nice touch, and overall Bernard's gives good value. Only thing I cannot understand was why it was not packed on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Sunday in the countryBuzzeatsDined on 4/27/2014It is a 45 minute drive for us to visit Bernard's and it is worth every minute of the drive. Bernard's is a great venue to celebrate a special occasion. New Years Eve was a special experience and our quiet Sunday dinner was just as exceptional. The ambiance, and gracious professional service is a great foundation for the truly outstanding food. The attention to detail and food quality makes Bernard's a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a tastemacmomDined on 4/26/2014Foodie group decided on Bernard's for a birthday celebration. Since it was our first visit we opted for the tasting menu but no wine pairing. Each course was expertly delivered and the group thoroughly enjoyed having different selections for our male and female members. Just for fun we had the server choose wines on the spot instead of from a set pairing list. He did an outstanding job from start to finish. You'll definitely see us there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelence AchievedSandysRascalDined on 4/20/2014My party of 3 was at Bernard's for Easter Dinner. Each and every aspect of our dinner was superb. We were among the last people seated at the end of the day, yet there was no indication from the service or the presentation of the plates or the quality of the meal that we were there at the end of their day. Each course could just as easily have been the first plate sent from the kitchen. From start to finish, Bernard's was excellent.Special Features:
- Love Bernard's!LUVPCDined on 4/20/2014Such a wonderful experience -- again! Forgot to mention when reserving a table that one of our guests cannot manage stairs, but our table was waiting for us on the second floor. No worries! The Bernard's welcoming team addressed the matter immediately and without making us feel uncomfortable. The food selections for appetizer and were terrific, and just the right amount of food was served for each course. Loved the precursor treat and the dessert! A consistently wonderful experience overall!Special Features:
- Superb dining experience!OnthegoDined on 4/20/2014We are never disappointed when we eat at Bernard's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first class in every wayJoanieDined on 4/16/2014everything about Bernard's was top notch! the food was perfectly prepared and plated beautifully....service equaled it. The wine list is excellent and the complimentary dessert wine was the perfect end to a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Bernard's is always wonderful.SabinaVIPDined on 4/6/2014Bernard's is always wonderful. Sunday brunch ( a three-course prix fixe meal) provides too much food for me. I prefer an a al carte menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerEvelynDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Bernard's very much. We will definitely go back again some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in Ridgefield!FoodieVIPDined on 3/29/2014How fortunate we are to have Bernard cooking his highly personal style of French food at such an exalted level here at home in CT! The wine list will astound you with its breadth, quality and reasonable prices. The old mansion is charming , the service warm and the welcome from Bernard's wife Sarah makes you feel right at home. Don't miss their casual upstairs wine bar with live music 4 nights a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST BIRTHDAY EVER !!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/22/2014What better place to spend one's birthday with great friends, amazing food and in a elegant space. Thank you for making my birthday so special !!Special Features:
- Delightful restaurant. OneReddogDined on 3/16/2014Delightful restaurant. One of the best restaurants ever gone to. We have been multiple times for dinner and the restaurant is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so birthday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014Three of my friends and I went to Bernards on Sunday for Bruch for a friends 55th birthday. Based on all of the rave reviews we were all very excited despite the 45 min ride to the restaurant. Unfortuantely we didn't have the best experience. The ambiance was there, it was quite so you could talk , the bread was fabulous and the service was outstanding. However, the quality of the food overall was seriously lacking- not to mention BRUNCH for 4 was $300!! The appetizers were very small, 2 of the main courses (veal shank) had a outrageous amount of fat and 3 of the 4 were underwhelmed in dessert. Overall don't think we'll be going back anytime soonSpecial Features:
- Service was excellent…foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Service was excellent…food was very good but lacking in creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bernard's never disappointsthehonestfoodieDined on 3/6/2014I could spend an entire week reading the wine list, it is so extensive. Luckily they have experts to help you pick the exact wine you are looking for! Our suggestion was perfect and enhanced our dinner. Everything on the menu is to die for. I have thoroughly enjoyed every meal I have eaten at Bernard's! It is just the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. Great Service.newbyVIPDined on 3/1/2014Great Food. Great Service. Made for a very enjoyable experience and evening.Special Features:
- French Gem in RidgefieldrtbryantDined on 2/21/2014Bernard's is a great restaurant in a small, beautiful Connecticut town. The food was creative, perfectly prepared with top ingredients and very French. The place is comfortable and quiet enough to actually have a conversation. The wine list is exceptional and very deep with many older vintages. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In love with Bernard's!LaraInBethelDined on 2/14/2014Ohhh my goodness. Were do I start? Everything tasted amazing and well planned. Exquisite flavors with gorgeous undertones and overtones. The detail made our night so special. Thank you Bernard's! We will be back!! The BaddoursSpecial Features:
- High End DisjointClue84VIPDined on 2/14/2014Bernard's is a very nice place. Great food, nice ambiance. But they seemed very unprepared for Valentine's Day. Upon being seated, we waited 15 minutes to get menu/drink order. Menu was price fixe, understandable on such a night. Wine list is truly great. Breadth and value present. Venison and Sea Bass were delicious, but my wife was given no steak knife, so she had to hack away at the venison. After dinner coffee arrived after we had settled our check, approximately 40 minutes after we had ordered it. Coat retreival took 15 minutes. Patron in front of my wife took his tip back. Clearly a special place, but needs to focus on better planning for such occasions. We will give it another try on a non-holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a special eveningJoe3565Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and i spent Valentines day at Bernard's. The food, ambiance, and services were impeccable. I especially liked the appetizers (Lobster Rabiolo, and Foi Gras)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary ValentineAnniversaryValentineDined on 2/14/2014The atmosphere and quality of the food was excellent, made with the highest quality ingredients and cooked to perfection of flavor, health and nutrition. The music was also wonderful. We had a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Bernard's was wonderful!SabinaVIPDined on 2/8/2014Lunch at Bernard's was wonderful! As always! The lobster bisque is sublime.Special Features:
- great food , albeit littleraymondDined on 2/1/2014great food , albeit little too slow wtg for the entrees. very nice quiet mature ambience. waitstaff was excellent.Special Features:
- Never had a bad meal at Bernards!jelly718Dined on 2/1/2014This is only our second visit in 5 years, but both times were memorable. The food was fantastic and the service was wonderful. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Lovely older former Inn, nicestDocSteveDined on 1/18/2014Lovely older former Inn, nicest restaurant in Ridgefield CT, caters many family parties and events. Service was excellent, tables spaced apart for privacy, a place for grownups to dine in comfort in the country setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bernard's in Ridgefield, CT.Dad24Dined on 1/10/2014Bernard's offers the finest in food, service and atmosphere with a piano playing softly in the background. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's at BernardsMeyerMouthDined on 12/31/2013Bernards is usually a delight; New Year's eve may have thrown the kitchen a curve, as only two dishes out of the seven or so we were served measured up to the quality we've come to expect here. Bay scallops in a beurre blanc were excellent -as was the bass we were able to substitute for the meat and fowl options. Service was gracious and (relatively) speedy, given the packed dining room. The star here remains the superb Wine List, which lists terrific values on older vintage Burgundies and Bordeaux. This list rivals that of any other place that cares about wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationGreatfoodDined on 12/28/2013We had an absolutely wonderful time at Bernard's for our daughter's 21st Birthday celebration. The ambiance was beautiful, with the addition of wonderful piano music in the background. The food was creative and delicious, to say the least. Desserts and wines were also delicious. Service was excellent. The evening was perfect! Sarah is a gem. Bernard's is truly "perfection".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special PlaceCHWoDined on 12/27/2013This restaurant never fails to please. The staff is attentive, food always good. It is fairly expensive but if you can squeeze it into the budget, well worth effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas dinnerJimBDined on 12/25/2013Great place for gathering or just a romantic dinner. I was looking for a place for Christmas dinner an d just googled resturants open on Christmas Day and this was one of the places that came up. After reading the reviews decided to book a reservation for Christmas dinner. We were not disappointed. The food is fabulous !!!! Wait staff very attentive. We had the best dinner every. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was the fourth year weSagbrookDined on 12/25/2013This was the fourth year we spent Christmas dinner at Bernard's. It never disappoints. Wonderful food, service and ambience. Will probably go again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.