20 West Lane
Ridgefield, CT 06877Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bernardsridgefield.com/
- Phone: 2034388282x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday -Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm. Closed Monday's.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Bernard Bouissou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Catering: WE offer off-premise catering. Please call Elizabeth at (203)856-2537 for more information.
- Entertainment: Sarah's wine bar features live music Wednesday thru Saturday & our Jazz Masters Series the last Sunday of each month. Bernard's offer live piano music Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday brunch
- Special Events: Bernard's offers Wine tasting Dinner, cooking classes, Author luncheons, Jazz Masters Series and live entertainment
A word from Bernard's
Bernard's features contemporary French Cuisine in an elegant Country Inn setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Bernard's - Best Restaurants in Ridgefield ›
Bernard's reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)notable wine list (31)fit for foodies (27)romantic (27)neighborhood gem (12)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- BernardsjasonVIPDined on 10/19/2014Lucky to find Bernards, in Ridgefield for a concert, a real gem. Beautiful room with fireplace, excellent service, immense and value laden wine list, lots of half bottles to sample. From the amuse to desert a terrific dinner, nicely presented and delicious. Halibut exceptional! Service was attentive and ample time between courses so no feeling of being rushed. Altogether a wonderful experience. We hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014I re-visited this restaurant after several years. I was really impressed with virtually every aspect. The menu was so intriguing with so many desirable choices that I ended up picking an extra appetizer for the table. Each dish was presented very attractively and with obvious skill. The food was perfectly cooked in my judgment and for those accompanying me. I was impressed with the wine choices and enjoyed my selection. Service was first rate: prompt, friendly, and appropriate. The dining room setting is comfortable. Why then do I not give this a 5 star rating? The down side for me was that I missed the intense flavor that I had expected with such great ingredients, but I will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Amazing foodlaugrousDined on 10/11/2014We have spend a unforgivable evening. Great food, great wine great deserts.Special Features:
- Bernard's ReviewCelesteDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent. However, the service was extremely slow. We sat for 25 minutes before we were brought a menu. The staff that clears the plates between courses and serve the bread/water were excellent. The waitress was very slow. Our 3 course meal took over 3 hours. We would try the restaurant again because the food was so excellent. However, the service has to be better or we would not go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds all expectations!Busychick3Dined on 10/10/2014From beginning to end, everything at this restaurant made our visit a wonderful memory, not just a fine meal. The service, presentation, cuisine, and wine left nothing to be desired. A unique menu with a diverse array of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ittle disappointedoutstandingDined on 10/5/2014Over the years, we have dined at Bernard's several times and found the food and service outstanding. But on Sunday, service was uneven and some of the food items (especially the cooked spinach leaves) left much to be desired. We hope that our next visit will prove that this was just an off day and that the whole dining experience will return to "outstanding."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/26/2014Outstanding food and service.Had a wonderful meal and experience. We traveled 2 hours (en route to another destination)to eat here and iot was well worth the time. We will clearly include this venue in our plans the next time we're in the area.Special Features:
- KelsoDined on 9/24/2014We were at Bernards on a quiet Wednesday night. There were only 3-4 other tables while we were there between 6-7:30. There is a related restaurant upstairs, Sarah's Wine Bar, with a separate less pricey menu but the same chef/kitchen. Sarah's Wine Bar was pretty busy. The food at Bernard's was very good. The waiter was the best that I can recall-very knowledgeable, professional and personable. The menu is interesting but pricey: apps - lobster bisque and crabmeat salad, entrees - lamb 3 ways and salmon, no dessert and 2 glasses of wine each was $160 without tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynlovesfinediningDined on 9/13/2014Great ambiance, great food and service! Have been there twice. Now and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- LeftyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful dining experience. Great menu, excellent food, wonderful service, very attentive staff. Fabulous choice for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful space, delicious foodlittlefeatherDined on 8/24/2014It's hard to review perfection! The food is some of the best I have ever eaten. The ambience is beautiful and relaxing. Service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchJAlovetoeatDined on 8/24/2014We live in upstate New York, but whenever we get to CT we always make it a point to go to Bernard's. Their menu is very gourmet and the food is absolutely outstanding. Sarah stopped by to chat and we shared dining experiences. With a wonderful piano player and Edwin's flawless service, what more could you ask. It is truly a dining experience!Special Features:
- embottomDined on 8/22/2014Excellent. Recommended for decor cuisine menu selections Pianist great tooSpecial Features:
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerjrose529Dined on 8/17/2014My husband and I celebrated our 34th anniversary at Bernard's tonight and had a fabulous dinner. My veal was tender and delicious and the basil risotto was amazing. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his salmon and some of my veal! The apple strudel with vanilla bean ice cream was a fabulous ending to a glorious meal. The service was wonderful, as was the atmosphere. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Setting ... Tasteful MusicLoveTheBigIslandVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had the 7-course tasting menu with wine pairings. Unexpectedly each course was not identical for each of us (except for the dessert and fois gras, for which we were very grateful!). Instead of 7 different tastes, we had 12. Four different appetizers (lobster and scallops and then tuna and crab), two different fish (sea bass and halibut), two meat courses (wild boar and veal), a cheese course (plated to our taste), and a lovely dessert plate. Service was attentive and the wine pairings appropriate with several very interesting/unusual tastes. Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- First time at Bernard'sAndrewDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful experience...the food, classic French...the service, just right...the space, very pretty...the wine possibilities, exciting and fairly priced. All happening on a quiet mid-week evening. Happy to pay for quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnervenividiviciDined on 8/9/2014Came here for our 2 year anniversary, and it was one of the most romantic meals we have ever had. Food was phenomenal, and we were well attended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatSamsonitesDined on 8/8/2014The atmosphere of Bernard's definitely says "special occasion," and indeed our intended anniversary dinner there was just that. Located in a beautiful historic building in a quaint, New England town, the experience held great promise. I give high ratings for both service and ambiance. In fact, there was a piano player that evening, which added to our enjoyment. The menu was limited, but interesting. Our food was good, but we each had a problem with it not being hot enough - he with his appetizer of escargot, and me with my main course of salmon. In both cases the problem was not so bad that we had to return the food to the kitchen, but it could and should have been better. I'm glad that we dined at Bernard's, but we won't rush back.Special Features:
- JackDined on 8/3/2014Beautifully prepared meals for special occasion fine dining. The seafood is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chilled EnjoymentMumuDined on 7/27/2014It was a very nice experience if it wasn't for the freezing temperature caused by the air conditioning. Even after we got woolen sweaters from the car, the ice cold air made it very, very uncomfortable even around your head and neck. After brunch, we headed to the next Starbucks to warm up - what a shame. That is enough reason not to go back in the summertime, since you don't want to dine in hiking clothes .... too bad.Special Features:
- wiltonianDined on 7/19/2014The service was excellent as was the wine list. The food was very different and creative in its description and appearance. The main course, a T Bone Steak, was very disappointing in texture and taste (not very tender & covered in sauce). Cheese options are excellent and very tasty.Special Features:
- One of the best in Connecticut.KathDined on 7/11/2014I loved this place when it was the Ridgefield Inn and love it now that a charming young couple--Bernard and Sarah--have taken it over. Food and ambience downstairs remain true to an era that knew how to pamper people. Upstairs, in wine bar, a great, great scene (and food!) for a different experience. I like both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French CuisinetennisplrDined on 7/1/2014The food and service were good. I picked the wrong wine(St. Veran) and it was a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JodyDined on 6/29/2014Our wedding anniversary celebration Sunday brunch was absolutely delicious! Thank you for this creative and lovely meal. JodySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too salty2ridgefieldrockersDined on 6/28/2014Our main courses were too salty never happened before so we will cautiously go againI would recommend this to a friend.
- we are hookedricky188Dined on 6/28/2014This was our 5th time eating at Bernard's and the food and service have been consistently excellent. This time the warm lobster salad and softshell crab were wonderful. We can't wait for an excuse to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 433 reviews are from the Bernard's reviews archive.
- Lovelyfoodie92Dined on 6/22/2014Great food, lovely staff. Worth the drive to Ridgefield.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodFoodie918VIPDined on 6/19/2014I thought this restaurant would have a stuffy feel and be too "French" for my liking. However, I was so impressed! The food and service were perfect, the ambience welcoming, and the prices were definitely reasonable for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PleasessuzeeDined on 6/15/2014An elegant, but friendly dining experience. Food nicely prepared. Great variety. Very friendly and accommodating staff!Special Features:
- mikeDined on 6/14/2014Service was very slow which might have been due to the fact it was Father's day weekend. Food was good. Did not like the slow service!!!!!!Special Features:
- A long time favorite!luvgoodfoodVIPDined on 6/13/2014We have been going here for many years. The food is always delicious. The pianist plays a wonderful mix of delightful music which enhances the experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014Had a memorable night celebrating my wife's 60th birthday. Food was outstanding and Sarah bent over backwards to plan a special birthday dessert surprise. Server's were very helpful and extremely friendly.Special Features:
- FairMLMLDined on 6/1/2014We drove for an hour to get to Bernard's because I had heard that it was special. It was not worth the effort. The wine we ordered wasn't available and two of the dishes we ordered turned out to also not be available. The food that came was good though not memorable. The service was indifferent at best.Special Features:
- MrAPSultanDined on 5/31/2014We decided to try the Seven Course Tasting Menu. This proved to be an outstanding decision. There were really a lot more than seven courses. They would bring each one of us different things. We had the option of eating it all or sharing. Even item was cooked to perfection; plated well; and served correctly. I cannot say too many good things about an outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!GrandmaTDined on 5/30/2014Took my adult daughter here to celebrate her birthday with our husbands and we had a wonderful meal. Enjoyed the piano player as well who chose great selections. Service was great until the end - it took quite awhile for our desserts. May have been due to the lateness - we were last there. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- recent dinnerdutchVIPDined on 5/30/2014Our waitress from South Carolina was great - sweet and attentive. However, disappointed overall. Atmosphere is starting to feel a bit dated, but most surprising was the front of house staff. My wife fell coming into the restaurant because of a poorly laid outdoor carpet, the maitre d' saw her fall, and didnt come to the table to ask how she was doing until after appetizers. Not even a cursory offer to get a cocktail or dessert ( on top of knowing we were ther for our anniversary. While we brought an EXTREMELY important bottle from our private cellar which we shared with both the chef and the waitress, we bought an additional bottle and were STILL charged $40 for corkage...Special Features:
- OutstandingJoeCVIPDined on 5/24/2014From beginning to end this was an outstanding experience. I've been to many Michelin rated restaurants in New York City and this restaurant can compete with any of them. The service was outstanding and the food was the best I've eaten in Connecticut. It's apparent by the food preparation and service that the owners have a lot of pride in this restaurant. This was a great find in a very nice section of Connecticut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to their usual standards.jwcooperDined on 5/18/2014On a Sunday night, the 'B' team must have been in charge. Service was exceptionally slow even though they weren't that busy, and the food was disappointing compared to our previous visits. And it was a big disappointment that their House Cured Bacon Sampler was not available that night. While the house-cured Bresaola with the goat cheese fig pine nut crepes was very good, the Wild Boar 2 ways was a big disappointment, with the chop as tough as cardboard and with little flavor. The Jumbo Lump Crabmeat salad had little flavor: the grapefruit overpowered it and the Crispy Sweetbreads had little taste either. The Cheese selections were fine but the promised bread was missing. We've loved Bernard's in the past but all 4 of us were disappointed.
- Great PlacemodernartbrewsDined on 5/18/2014Food was excellent as was service. The price point was high, but we knew that going in. The wine bar upstairs was excellent as well.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2014Our first visit was for an early Mother's Day dinner. Service was very spotty even at 5:30 and the prixe fixe menu offered few to no modern choices. Both our servers seemed surprisingly inexperienced. As a non-dairy eater, they served me the same first "on the house" course as I ordered for an appetizer. I managed to get my weeks worth of beets in one meal! We each chose a different main dish and all three were just ok. I can easily say the wine was the best part of the meal and that was $25 a glass.