27 Mine Brook Rd. (Route 202)
Bernardsville, NJ 07924Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bernardsinn.com/
- Phone: (908) 766-0002
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Breakfast: Mon - Fri 6:30am - 10:00am,
Sunday a la Carte Brunch - 9:30am-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Dinner: Friday, Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Corey W. Heyer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Offsite catering department.
- Private Party Facilities: Three intimate private rooms with 160 person capacity along with a ballroom with 175 person capacity.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Schleimer 8776775343
- Entertainment: Live Piano Music Tuesday through Saturday evenings.
- Special Events: Yappy Hour-Mondays during the summer on the Terrace. Bring your dog for special treats
A word from Bernards Inn
Two magnificent dining rooms and a warm clubby bar with Jazz Pianists are apt settings for the outstanding American cuisine of Chef Corey Heyer. The impressive wine cellar with selections from all over the world encompasses over 1,500 different labels. A six course tasting menu is available with or without wine pairings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bernards Inn - Best Restaurants in Bernardsville ›
Bernards Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (67)romantic (61)fit for foodies (53)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (11)hot spot (8)late-night find (3)Show More
- One of best in NJ.Dolphin70Dined on 11/21/2014You can choose the jumping bar area with piano player or the romantic back roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Led Zeppelin on the piano, very classyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Outstanding dinner on Friday night. Service was perfect, and the live piano player was providing soft background melodies as I noticed the notes of Classic Zeppelin wafting over perfectly prepared shrimp crusted cod. A perfect accompaniment to the white Rhone I was drinking. The fall menu means everything pumpkin is perfect, and so I picked a peck of pumpkin products...Martini for opening - Awesome but could also be for dessert. Squash soup? Sublime. Ravioli? Only the leftover drizzle of sauce on the plate was evidence of the crime committed here, a hit and run appetizer, waiting for more! All is good at the Inn. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambiance.hp078Dined on 11/12/2014The Bernards Inn is a favorite of mine. My wife and I make it one of our top choices for special occasions when we want a romantic dinner with food and service that's assured to be good. A former client of mine meets me often for lunch. Our recent lunch included a lobster pot pie which I know as a lazy-man"s lobster. It was excellent. My lunch partner ordered salmon, which is also my usual choice - but I just couldn't pass up the lobster. This is a restaurant where you can have a quiet conversation and actually hear each other. It is ideal for both a romantic evening and a business luncheon. The decor is tastefully clubby without appearing too formal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exquisite foodBuckyDined on 11/9/2014The food at this restaurant is just superb. A bit pricey, but worth it. The desserts were an outstanding addition to the meal.Special Features:
- CozziDined on 11/7/2014Dinner was wonderful! Food is delicious & presented beautifully. Wait staff is knowledgeable about the menu & wine list. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur hourVerydisapointedVIPDined on 11/7/2014Service was inept. Waiter was both condescending and incompetent. Took an hour before we ordered. Drinks were screwed up . Good food can't compensate for the complete lack of service. Only person who cared was the Sommelier.Special Features:
- Special PlaceDebbieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Went for lunch with my husband- and found the food & ambience to be exceptional. If you like historic Inns then put this on your list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We had not been to the bernards Inn for dinner in a while. We love this place! Dinner is pricey however it is always a wonderful, romantic, memorable evening! We always arrive early and start with a drink at the bar. I had a specialty cocktail of fennel infused fig vodka, cranberry and splash of club sode, it was so good! I love the bar, it reminds me of a place I used to frequent in NYC. One of the only places you can get dressed up, or not and listen to the piano player and have a relaxing, elegant evening. We have to visit the bar more often. It is an option for when you don't want the full quiet dining experience. Either way, piano bar or dining room, it is a memorable evening. Treat yourself to a speciial night.Special Features:
- an excellent eveninglovequietDined on 11/1/2014We dine out a fair amount. and we like to explore good restaurants in our area. This was the best meal, with the best service in about a year. our waiter was informative and attentive with out being obsequious. The food was fabulous. all three of us thoroughly enjoyed each course. my friend who doesn't usually have coffee after dinner said my husband's coffee smelled so good, she had to have a cup. While most of the wines on the wine list were over the top expensive, I was able to find a good Malbec for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite RestaurantAnniversaryCoupleDined on 10/20/2014I get to eat out often. I have had the pleasure of dining in many high-end restaurants around the world. In all honesty, my experience here on Monday was p-e-r-f-e-c-t in every way. Service was impeccable ... friendly, professional and attentive ... but not intrusive. The food was prepared and presented per request. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambivalent about the foodNonameReviewerVIPDined on 10/13/2014Setting and service were wonderful, but I'm ambivalent about the food. While it was beautifully prepared with excellent ingredients, I found it a bit over-produced, too complicated, too many ingredients. It was hard to tell if the pheasant itself was delicious because my taste buds were having such a good time with the vegetables and the sauce. The accompaniments should simply accompany the main ingredient. Here, they competed.Special Features:
- Fabulous and Charming!LovebirdsDined on 10/11/2014Thank you for making our anniversary so special! The food was divine, the service was impeccable, the atmosphere was romantic and darling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never dissapointsmelitatdVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Bernards Inn is consistently top notch. The only negative was a large noisy group nearby.Special Features:
- richdinesDined on 10/10/2014The Bernard's Inn offers refined dining in a relaxed and subdued, old world atmosphere. You are served elegant meals by an experienced and attentive wait staff. You can actually conduct a conversation with your dinner companions without having to talk over loud background music, a rare occurrence in most restaurants these days. This is an upscale restaurant that is ideal for lunch, dinner or any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Five Star experience * * * * *GraceDined on 10/5/2014a Very Expensive dinner however worth every cent . .. The Bernards Inn is classy, sophisticated, comfortable and relaxing! Such a wonderful evening with an outstanding "Sunday Supper" deal or ala carte menu! The restaurant bar has a piano player on Friday and Saturday nights offering the sounds of Sting, James Taylor & many others. ..Special Features:
- ln28Dined on 10/4/2014The Bernards Inn is a classic restaurant. We received a gift certificate and were glad we had it because it was very expensive. The food was good, but we didn't think it was outstanding. The service was very attentive. We had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful anniversary dinnerGilesHDined on 9/28/2014this is the second time we have celebrated our anniversary at the Bernards Inn and we were not disappointed - they are super nice, great service, wonderful food with a great fall menu featuring local produce and they could not do enough for us - absolutely wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Excellent fine diningEHBranchburgVIPDined on 9/26/2014Bernards Inn is definitely the place to go for impressive fine dining. Excellent menu and wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestDisappointeddinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014The Bernard's Inn never disappoints. The food is "hauntingly good" - you remember it days later and can still savor every bite. Fantastic service rounds out the whole experience. Still our true love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceKimSVIPDined on 9/20/2014Bernards Inn consistently provides a wonderful experience! The quality of food is outstanding and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Good Food and Great RestaurantNeoklassiksoulVIPDined on 9/10/2014On the road with work - staying at the Inn. Decided to try to restaurant and were not disappointed. Great food and excellent wine list. Good solid value for money. Would return if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014One of the best meals in nj from quality of the meal to the ambience and service and you leave full...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLovetoTravelVIPDined on 9/3/2014As always, this restaurant is THE BEST around. The food is fantastic and cooked to perfection. They have outside seating, and a very active bar. If you have never been or if it has been awhile, you should definitely make plans to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CulinarySnobVIPDined on 8/30/2014A very nice restaurant with excellent dishes, great bread and good service. Our server, "Trevor" was outstanding and the Inn has nice ambience if you are with someone you want to talk with, and not shout to above loud piped in music. Piano bar is nice for a start, and then move to the dining room for a quiet well-served meal. Only one complaint was the dessert, which was funnel cake and ice cream was not good. Soggy pre-prepared funnel cake and the rest of the dish was poorly done. I should have sent it back, but I let it slide. All in all. a very nice place for and a very nice evening.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodDtravelerDined on 8/23/2014If service and ambiance are more important than food,then the formal restaurant at the Bernard's Inn is for you. But if it is an outstanding meal that you crave, I'm afraid the Inn falls short. Delicious gazpacho,but that was followed by mediocre soft shell crab and a disappointing overly sweet dessert . Next time, I'd like to try the more casual menu inthe bar.Special Features:
- Family night out a first time visitHoneygirlDined on 8/23/2014We were a party of three. Started our with drinks. I ordered a Cucumber Cooler which came with Gin, I requested for Vodka instead. The drink was delicious, very refreshing, not sweet. I wanted the soft shell crab appetizer but afraid it would be too much so the suggested that I could Order just one which I did and it was delicious. My pasta dish was very good a little spicy. My husband ordered the duck and son ordered the Red snapper. We were very happy without food. Nicely presented and hot. This was our first time at the Bernard's Inn but we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/21/2014We had previously had good food here, but this time the steak cuts were unrecognizable and over cooked. The experience was way over priced at $200 for two having just appetizers, and entree and 1 mixed drink. We will not return.
- Old World Charmkeaton7VIPDined on 8/17/2014Old world service in this historic hotel. Food, however, is very cutting edge, fresh, with interesting preparations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014I believe in my previous life I was at the Bernards Inn. I just felt so welcome and so at home. It is a wonderful establishment!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion spot!!MikeGDined on 8/10/2014Food was divine, atmosphere is an A+, service above and beyond.. If you don't mind spending $250 on dinner for 2, this is the spot!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulRitzVIPDined on 8/7/2014I just love this place. They change the menu seasonally and it's always creative and special. It has and always will be my "go to" place . Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special dinning experienceFoodfansDined on 8/5/2014We found the food and service at Bernard's Inn exceptional! Very creative flavors and food presentation, together with the friendly and knowledgeable staff made our dinning experience special and memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysEdw123VIPDined on 8/2/2014The Bernards Inn continues to be a local treasure, with outstanding food, wine, service and ambiance. A special occasion must!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceHelenVIPDined on 8/2/2014Another delicious meal at the Bernard's Inn! Cozy, warm environs with fabulous pianist playing the song track to your life. Crispy halibut was perfectly prepared following a delicious salad of grilled stone fruits. Terri the sommelier always available with great wine selections.Special Features:
- Always Tops!letseatoutDined on 8/2/2014We have gone to the Bernards Inn on special occasions for many years. They are always a sure bet to be the right place for any special day. We were a party of two and started with the grilled lobster and shrimp appetizers and went on to the halibut and red snapper entrees. The preparation and presentation was outstanding. The Bernards Inn should be TOPS on anybody's list.Special Features:
- YUMDinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014Best halibut ever, cooked to perfection and a generous portion of this wonderful fish. Great, attentive service.Special Features:
- The following 611 reviews are from the Bernards Inn reviews archive.
- LuncheonwineanddineVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was an outstanding light, summer lunch: kale salad to start and their special recipe chicken salad. Their excellent wine list offered the perfect pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite for YearsJanSDined on 7/18/2014Whenever we want to celebrate a special occasion, we always think of the Bernards Inn. Tasting menu is always exceptional.Special Features:
- Birthday LunchLuv2returnDined on 7/18/2014Highly highly recommend. Service was beyond my expectations. Treated my bestie, whose birthday it was, like a queen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected more from formal menu.honestnoteDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I dined on Saturday evening in the formal dining room. High marks for service and atmosphere. The lobster bisque was great. Wished the menu had included some of the food shown on the website like tuna appetizers, etc. We would have like to see some type of potato or rice side dish. Our main meal lacked any type of spice, very bland. Salt and pepper were not on the table. Sometimes "fresh herbs" are not enough to flavor a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.