Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte
435 S Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bernardinsfinedining.com/
- Phone: (704) 332-3188
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch; Monday through Friday 11am to 2:30pm Dinner; Monday through Thursday 5pm to 10pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Freddy Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte
Bernardin's Fine Dining is renowned for its impeccable service, Elegant atmosphere and sophisticated, succulent Modern American Cuisine. Specializing in Seafood, Lamb, Steaks, Game Meats, Poultry and Pasta. Relax and enjoy soothing music, inviting accommodations, unbelievable entrees, specialty desserts and an extensive wine list. Serving the Triad of North Carolina since 1992, new to Uptown Charlotte. We are confident you will enjoy your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)fit for foodies (50)romantic (48)great for lunch (27)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (23)good for groups (14)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Bernardino's never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2014I've eaten here for lunch a number of times but never dinner. The dinner menu is different and much more expensive. As a special lunch place, it can't be beat. Everything on the menu is excellent, service is always great, atmosphere has a charming old world feel that is almost impossible to find in Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stache & CookStacheVIPDined on 11/14/2014We were promptly greeted and seated and then forgotten. We sat for 10 minutes with no one approaching us until we spoke up. Our waitress then appeared and said she was "upstairs tasting food" which apparently made her neglect okay. Two of our party of four ordered the signature dish of lobster ravioli. It arrived with a split lobster tail which was overcooked on top of 3 or 4 raviolis in an insufficient amount of sauce. Also included were some small shrimp which were not mentioned in the menu description. No one from management seemed to be on the premises let alone concerned about our dining experience. With many better choices in Charlotte, we won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014The restaurant was very beautiful. The location is wonderful also. I thought the food was just ok. I don't know if I would come back to try any different dishes. The servers were very polite and attentive.Special Features:
- Great LunchChristineVIPDined on 11/11/2014My friend and I ordered the vegetable penne w/tofu, beef stew, and talapia w/polenta and green beans. The stew, entrees, and service were excellent as usual.Special Features:
- Real GemAlanVIPDined on 11/7/2014Across the street from Knights Theatre and Betchler Museum this gem is great from pre-show dinners or a romantic evening. Easy to get to and complimentary parking is in next door. Food was generous and very flavorable with outstanding service. The setting can be casual lunch or elegant white cloth dinners. Look up for the art and unique ceiling.Special Features:
- Delicious LunchChristineVIPDined on 11/7/2014Excellent food and service. My friend and I ordered the crab crake entree and steak wrap. The food portions were perfect for lunch and the quality was excellent. The lunch menu had a nice variety of sandwiches, salads, soups, and entrees at reasonable prices for the quality of the food and beautiful atmosphere. I hope to have lunch here on a weekly basis.Special Features:
- Amazing food but....IamAFoodie2Dined on 11/6/2014Restaurant was packed when our group went for lunch. Everyone raved about the food (mostly the salmon and crab cake entrees) and service was top notch.Special Features:
- Excellent LunchjackdiningDined on 11/5/2014Mate had scallops, I had broiled sirloin. Both were accompanied with fresh green veggies and mashed potatoes that I suspect came from a box. Surprising. Nice desert selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleased...we will return.SugafootDined on 11/1/2014I absolutely love this restaurant. I just visited this past weekend for my partner’s birthday. The food & service (Great Allie) was AMAZING!. I had the black peppered shrimp with white bean and sautéed spinach and my partner had the salmon with sautéed spinach. We will defiantly be visiting this place again. Hats off the team!!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Took the wife here while visiting for a panthers game. Our server was pleasant and prompt. We started with the goat cheese tart and it was amazing. I had the salmon and the wife had the scallops. All wonderfulI would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014service was great. Food came out super fast which made me question how fresh it was. The portions were very small. I ordered a steak which was cooked to the correct temperature however was on the small side. I paid 40.00 for steak and truffle fries. Way too much.Special Features:
- OutstandingCarolindaVIPDined on 10/24/2014Susan, the bartender, is the reason we began frequenting Bernardin's. Even though we only go there maybe 6 times a year, whenever we walk in she knows our names, what we drink and how we want it prepared and goes all out to please. We have also learned that the food there is outstanding! The seared scallops with pork belly, arugula and Chinese five spice is the best appetizer I have ever had. All the flavors are just fabulous. Makes me wish we lived closer and could go in every week (We come up from Fort Mill).Special Features:
- GeneSDined on 10/22/2014Unique restaurant with gourmet food at fair pricing. Excellent option when visiting Charlotte.Special Features:
- Good but probably has been bettersupprclubDined on 10/18/2014Lamb chops were very good as was the mint-pea cous-cous side. Tandoori kangaroo loin was very good, sauce on the side as recommended by our server in order to allow one to experience the flavor of the meat with as much spice and heat as you want. Meats were cooked appropriately rare. The starter salads were only ok, anchovies added to the Caesar salad over-abundantly and parmesan 2 heavy for my taste. Greens in both a little tired. Wine list very good incl. by the glass. Our server was very knowledgable about food and wine, was fantastic working with her. Choc. tort fantastic. A bit dusty on the lights and fixtures overhead. We came away w/ "a bit tired" and a bit more informal than anticipated but still has potential to be great.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprisejwf2Dined on 10/15/2014We found this when I googled restaurants near the local office I was visiting and knew nothing about it. The food was a great mix of beef, seafood and some things you wouldn't expect like bison, New Zealand venison and kangaroo. Very good service from a professional wait staff. I will go there again on my next trip back to Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedunderwhelmedDined on 10/14/2014I made a reservation letting the restaurant know we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and requested a table by the window. We arrived and were seated in the middle of the room. No mention to my wife about our anniversary. Perhaps the waitress would mention....didn't happen. Having worked at 4 & 5 star restaurants, I was not impressed by the food or service, especially considering the restaurant was not busy and the price. The ambiance however was wonderful as was spending our anniversary together. As for Bernadin's, no need to go any more.
- Great dinnerRHS1Dined on 10/10/2014The special grouper curry dish was excellent as was the goat cheese ravioli. Service was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Great experienceGreat8Dined on 10/2/2014The service and food were excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outRedwineVIPDined on 9/27/2014A wonderful menu and we had impeccable service. I will return again. Perfect "date night" spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerJeffVIPDined on 9/26/2014Went here with a party of six on a Friday night. It was a little slow, with the dining room only half full. The food was excellent. I had a great venison dish, and others around the table had fish, seafood, steak and duck. All enjoyed. We had a creme brulee and a chocolate creation of some sort for dessert, and both were really outstanding. The dining room is beautiful. The servers were pleasant and helpful. Parking is easy in the garage beneath the restaurant. I look forward to returning here again soon.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseSelectiveDinerDined on 9/23/2014I was in CLT for business. One of my invitees suggested Bernardin's, which had very good food, a good selection of wine and beer (including local beer but no IPAs on tap!!!) and very good service. And thankfully, not noisy, though it was a Tuesday evening. Well done! I'll go back on a future trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Spot!AmimarieVIPDined on 9/17/2014This is a very romantic place, can be loud so be prepared. Cozy with dim lighting. Food was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceVeganDined on 9/13/2014We are never disappointed. My Vegan request is always met with a delicious repast. Service is professional and friendly. Very convenient to the Knight Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant menutampagramDined on 9/12/20149 family members were celebrating a special event & wanted a special place for dinner. We all live out of town, so were going by on-line impressions. We chose Bernardin's and weren't disappointed! My shrimp was delicious, and others said their filets were outstanding - & cooked perfectly. The duck, wine & desserts all got rave reviews. Megan was our server, & did a great job keeping everyone happy and the wine flowing. We were a noisy group, so were happy the dining room wasn't crowded. A perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014Great food and great service. Suggest you make a reservation for lunch or large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Charlotte NC gemPrefer2workinyardDined on 8/30/2014What a delight to find Bernardin's in downtown Charlotte. We had four entrees, two appetizers and one dessert. For four of us. Everything was cooked to perfection. Seasoning, temperature, etc. Our son lives in Seattle and said the food out did restaurants there. Quiet, beautiful art, stained glass window at front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KH289Dined on 8/26/2014There are some very different adventurous items on the menu at Bernardin's. The choice of appetizers is extensive, we chose the scallops with pork belly and the lump crabcakes. For entrees my wife enjoyed the curried grouper while I tried the tandoorie spiced kangaroo loin; both dishes were well presented and cooked to perfection. The meal portions are quite generous so we didn't really feel that we could manage a sweet dessert, however the waitress had a small cheeseplate made up for us to share, even though this is not a menu item. The decor and atmosphere were very relaxing, but the background music occasionally included some quite strident jazz numbers. Overall, the meal was very good and the service fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodFoodieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Salmon was perfectly done. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Disappointing food/poor serviceMunchyManDined on 8/22/2014Nice atmosphere, but painfully slow waitress- even with only one other table! Fried sea bass lunch special had some funky pieces and if i wasnt already mad by the time dessert came i might have enjoyed the strawberry shortcake. I wont only NOT return...i am telling all of my contacts in the financial industry - sadly most had a similar story...maybe a Jack in the Box can b the next tenant?Special Features:
- Great little gem-uptown CharlotteBeachgirlVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great food with a large variety. All the servers I have had are wonderful. They make great suggestions for food or wine. They also allow you to taste some items before you choose. Love this restaurant. Not too big, but not so small that you can't get in when you want to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great entreesCiciDined on 8/16/2014little pricier than what was reflected on the menu on open table, and several of the options on the listed menu on open table were not available on current menu we received. The salads weren't very impressive. However, entrees we chose were delicious and wait staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014We arrived at short notice and the staff was more than happy to make us comfortable and arrange seating for us. The dinner was wonderful. We were amazed to find one of our favorite wines, from a small vineyard in Nappa, called Elyse.Special Features:
- Consistently goodYumaYummaDined on 7/30/2014I have eaten here many times and it is always delicious at an affordable price. Nice portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChasinTaleM8tDined on 7/28/2014We had a 7PM reservation. As we approached, the specials board described a pan-fried Tilapia s- GREAT! I was planning on fish anyway. We were promptly seated and during our drink order was told what was NOT available. No Beefeater's, no lobster, and no pork belly and the Tilapia? That was the LUNCH special, they just forgot to take down the board. After all that, I decided to go with something very simple, Pepper Jumbo Shrimp over sautéed spinach; my husband ordered the duck breast. Shrimp was overcooked - Jumbo went to medium (at best). My husband's duck breast was tough-I do have to mention the sides; my caesar was fantastic, the polenta and sautéed spinach also good. In the end - dinner was to expensive for a mediocre meal.
- Restaurant Week at Bernardin'sVAinNCDined on 7/26/2014My husband & I tried Bernardin's for Restaurant Week and are glad we did. Their 3-course menu offered variety enough to suit any palate. My husband demolished his tuna appetizer, while my salad was decent but not amazing. But hey, it was salad. My entree of mustard glazed salmon with fennel and summer vegetables was the best salmon I've had in Charlotte. My husband's steak entree was fantastic, too -- once the kitchen got the temperature right (on the 3rd try). Both desserts, a chocolate torte I would marry and the hubby's vanilla crime brûlée, were delicious. The staff was attentive and helpful. The restaurant was really loud, but we chalked that up to people like us out for Restaurant Week. Overall, very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in townNattDined on 7/26/2014Bernadin's food is outstanding. My husband could not get over the wonderful flavors and tenderness of the CAP, my salmon was cooked ot perfection and the flavors and delicate sauces were delicious and not heavy. The shrimp appetizer was amazing and the crown I would give to their dark chocolate cake - it is the best in town, may be the best I ever had anywhere. Every spoon of it melts on your tongue and you can't but savor every spoon slowly. Our whole group of 6 ordered this cake and felt the same way. Our friends thanked us for introducing us to this Restaurant and said this was one of the best places they had eaten in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 496 reviews are from the Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte reviews archive.
- Great place!NoDaFoodLvrDined on 7/24/2014We couldn't say enough great things about the food here. The lamb was probably the best I've ever eaten. Would have given it a perfect rating but we kept having to wait on our server for one thing or another and it wasn't that busy. The food, however, was impeccable !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServicejonwbradyDined on 7/23/2014Kudos once again to Bernardins. The food was excellent and I was very impressed with the Kangaroo dish. This is one dish that I have never had and it was wonderful with the Indian influences that this restaurant has. I'm not sure how to describe the menu, but some really great continental dishes with a hint of Indian ingrediants. The noise level is quite high and this might be a bit of a problem if you are sitting in the main dining room and are looking for something quiet. Other than that, I highly recommend this new favorite restaurant in Uptown.Special Features:
- Tenderliciously yummyfoodie411VIPDined on 7/23/2014Bernardins is a beautiful restaurant that makes you feel important just to be there. The decor is chic, the ambiance is lively and the food was amazing! Specifically, the moist, tender, juicy filet melted in my mouth with each bite! One of the best I've ever had! All of my friends were impressed by this selection, and I can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business lunchesJinxhouseVIPDined on 7/23/2014If you are looking for a great place to take your client or new employee Uptown, this is the place. The service is courteous, attentive and fast every time I am there. The food is delicious and great attention to detail on every dish. If you want a sandwich, try the grilled chicken breast club and be sure to get the french fries. YUM! If you would rather beef, the hamburger is delicious, juicy and the chef knows what medium-well looks like! If you are having an entree, try the salmon, I've had this a few times and it never disappoints. Great place for date night or dinner with friends too.Special Features: