Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte
435 S Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bernardinsfinedining.com/
- Phone: 7043323188
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch; Monday through Friday 11am to 2:30pm Dinner; Monday through Thursday 5pm to 10pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Freddy Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte
Bernardin's Fine Dining is renowned for its impeccable service, Elegant atmosphere and sophisticated, succulent Modern American Cuisine. Specializing in Seafood, Lamb, Steaks, Game Meats, Poultry and Pasta. Relax and enjoy soothing music, inviting accommodations, unbelievable entrees, specialty desserts and an extensive wine list. Serving the Triad of North Carolina since 1992, new to Uptown Charlotte. We are confident you will enjoy your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)romantic (54)fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (29)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Lovely Spot!AmimarieVIPDined on 9/17/2014This is a very romantic place, can be loud so be prepared. Cozy with dim lighting. Food was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceVeganDined on 9/13/2014We are never disappointed. My Vegan request is always met with a delicious repast. Service is professional and friendly. Very convenient to the Knight Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant menutampagramDined on 9/12/20149 family members were celebrating a special event & wanted a special place for dinner. We all live out of town, so were going by on-line impressions. We chose Bernardin's and weren't disappointed! My shrimp was delicious, and others said their filets were outstanding - & cooked perfectly. The duck, wine & desserts all got rave reviews. Megan was our server, & did a great job keeping everyone happy and the wine flowing. We were a noisy group, so were happy the dining room wasn't crowded. A perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014Great food and great service. Suggest you make a reservation for lunch or large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Charlotte NC gemPrefer2workinyardDined on 8/30/2014What a delight to find Bernardin's in downtown Charlotte. We had four entrees, two appetizers and one dessert. For four of us. Everything was cooked to perfection. Seasoning, temperature, etc. Our son lives in Seattle and said the food out did restaurants there. Quiet, beautiful art, stained glass window at front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KH289Dined on 8/26/2014There are some very different adventurous items on the menu at Bernardin's. The choice of appetizers is extensive, we chose the scallops with pork belly and the lump crabcakes. For entrees my wife enjoyed the curried grouper while I tried the tandoorie spiced kangaroo loin; both dishes were well presented and cooked to perfection. The meal portions are quite generous so we didn't really feel that we could manage a sweet dessert, however the waitress had a small cheeseplate made up for us to share, even though this is not a menu item. The decor and atmosphere were very relaxing, but the background music occasionally included some quite strident jazz numbers. Overall, the meal was very good and the service fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodFoodieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Salmon was perfectly done. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Disappointing food/poor serviceMunchyManDined on 8/22/2014Nice atmosphere, but painfully slow waitress- even with only one other table! Fried sea bass lunch special had some funky pieces and if i wasnt already mad by the time dessert came i might have enjoyed the strawberry shortcake. I wont only NOT return...i am telling all of my contacts in the financial industry - sadly most had a similar story...maybe a Jack in the Box can b the next tenant?Special Features:
- Great little gem-uptown CharlotteBeachgirlVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great food with a large variety. All the servers I have had are wonderful. They make great suggestions for food or wine. They also allow you to taste some items before you choose. Love this restaurant. Not too big, but not so small that you can't get in when you want to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great entreesCiciDined on 8/16/2014little pricier than what was reflected on the menu on open table, and several of the options on the listed menu on open table were not available on current menu we received. The salads weren't very impressive. However, entrees we chose were delicious and wait staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Consistently goodYumaYummaDined on 7/30/2014I have eaten here many times and it is always delicious at an affordable price. Nice portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChasinTaleM8tDined on 7/28/2014We had a 7PM reservation. As we approached, the specials board described a pan-fried Tilapia s- GREAT! I was planning on fish anyway. We were promptly seated and during our drink order was told what was NOT available. No Beefeater's, no lobster, and no pork belly and the Tilapia? That was the LUNCH special, they just forgot to take down the board. After all that, I decided to go with something very simple, Pepper Jumbo Shrimp over sautéed spinach; my husband ordered the duck breast. Shrimp was overcooked - Jumbo went to medium (at best). My husband's duck breast was tough-I do have to mention the sides; my caesar was fantastic, the polenta and sautéed spinach also good. In the end - dinner was to expensive for a mediocre meal.
- Restaurant Week at Bernardin'sVAinNCDined on 7/26/2014My husband & I tried Bernardin's for Restaurant Week and are glad we did. Their 3-course menu offered variety enough to suit any palate. My husband demolished his tuna appetizer, while my salad was decent but not amazing. But hey, it was salad. My entree of mustard glazed salmon with fennel and summer vegetables was the best salmon I've had in Charlotte. My husband's steak entree was fantastic, too -- once the kitchen got the temperature right (on the 3rd try). Both desserts, a chocolate torte I would marry and the hubby's vanilla crime brûlée, were delicious. The staff was attentive and helpful. The restaurant was really loud, but we chalked that up to people like us out for Restaurant Week. Overall, very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in townNattDined on 7/26/2014Bernadin's food is outstanding. My husband could not get over the wonderful flavors and tenderness of the CAP, my salmon was cooked ot perfection and the flavors and delicate sauces were delicious and not heavy. The shrimp appetizer was amazing and the crown I would give to their dark chocolate cake - it is the best in town, may be the best I ever had anywhere. Every spoon of it melts on your tongue and you can't but savor every spoon slowly. Our whole group of 6 ordered this cake and felt the same way. Our friends thanked us for introducing us to this Restaurant and said this was one of the best places they had eaten in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!NoDaFoodLvrDined on 7/24/2014We couldn't say enough great things about the food here. The lamb was probably the best I've ever eaten. Would have given it a perfect rating but we kept having to wait on our server for one thing or another and it wasn't that busy. The food, however, was impeccable !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServicejonwbradyDined on 7/23/2014Kudos once again to Bernardins. The food was excellent and I was very impressed with the Kangaroo dish. This is one dish that I have never had and it was wonderful with the Indian influences that this restaurant has. I'm not sure how to describe the menu, but some really great continental dishes with a hint of Indian ingrediants. The noise level is quite high and this might be a bit of a problem if you are sitting in the main dining room and are looking for something quiet. Other than that, I highly recommend this new favorite restaurant in Uptown.Special Features:
- Tenderliciously yummyfoodie411VIPDined on 7/23/2014Bernardins is a beautiful restaurant that makes you feel important just to be there. The decor is chic, the ambiance is lively and the food was amazing! Specifically, the moist, tender, juicy filet melted in my mouth with each bite! One of the best I've ever had! All of my friends were impressed by this selection, and I can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business lunchesJinxhouseVIPDined on 7/23/2014If you are looking for a great place to take your client or new employee Uptown, this is the place. The service is courteous, attentive and fast every time I am there. The food is delicious and great attention to detail on every dish. If you want a sandwich, try the grilled chicken breast club and be sure to get the french fries. YUM! If you would rather beef, the hamburger is delicious, juicy and the chef knows what medium-well looks like! If you are having an entree, try the salmon, I've had this a few times and it never disappoints. Great place for date night or dinner with friends too.Special Features:
- great food, chose table wiselyRhodesDined on 7/22/2014We had a table for 2 pinched between 2 columns. the 5 top next door forced all wait and customer traffic to walk and almost brush our table. Chose location carefully, food was great.Special Features:
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/22/2014Visited Bernardins during Restaurant Week. The restaurant was full and very loud. Beautiful environment. Food was good. We had steak and salmon. The steak was awesome, the salmon not so much. Clam chowder was great. Need to work on the cream brulee. Would definitely go back and give it another shot. Great location, convenient free parking.
- Great mealvtoria98Dined on 7/21/2014We made a reservation for 8 for a large work group. We were seated right away so that was great. The server seemed a bit overwhelmed, and was not that great but the food was excellent. It was also restaurant week so the limited menu was only $30.00 per person so that made this an even better meal. I would certainly recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Nostalgic location exceptional foodFineFoodHealthyFoodieVIPDined on 7/21/2014Highly recommend! Located in the historic Ratcliff Florist building, a charming building with high ceiling and a beautiful glass picture window overlooking the busy sidewalk. The uptown location is ideal - across the street from the art museums and beside "The Green", a small park with winding walkways dotted with interesting art objects and modern sculptures. There is a cozy upstairs seating area over the end that accommodates one or two tables and overlooks the restaurant below. The décor is upscale traditional, with dark wood and white table linens, and contemporary artwork on the walls. The service and food are exceptional. The food is fresh and creatively prepared, and there is something on the menu for all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch for four upstairscar737Dined on 7/21/2014Requested a quiet place for a meeting of four people. Got the upstairs table overlooking the restaurant. Lovely spot. Was quiet at first and then the noise from below became such an issue, we could hardly hear ourselves much less our waiters. Would suggest better knowledge of where noise is an issue, especially when specifically requested with the reservation. I think we would have been better off downstairs. Not only that we walked past an unattractive room with no door. That definitely did not impress.Special Features:
- Great foodgreatchoiceDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I went to Bernardin's to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We happened to go during Charlotte's restaurant week so the food choices were limited. The atmosphere was very romantic and personal. The food was delicious...highly recommend the salmon if you are a fish lover. Overall the experience was a great way for us to celebrate our special occasion.Special Features:
- underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014The Cold Apps were served at room temperature as if they were premade. The creme brulee didn't have the crispy sugar top as if it had been sitting premade as well. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- QueensFeast FantasticChefissimoDined on 7/19/2014During restaurant week I like to try different restaurants in order to find a place to get a great dinner when Uptown for the theater or a special occassion. Bernardin's was a nice find. The place is quaint and a great place to have dinner and drinks with the love of your life or a great group of friends. The CAB filet was outstanding. I even enjoyed my salad which was dressed perfectly. The restaurant is in a perfect location right next to the Green for parking and across the street from Levine Theater. I highly recommend and I would definitely return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014While the location for Bernardin's Restaurant does indeed provide some value, an uptown location does not make for a pleasant experience. As this space is limited, it is best to state that far too many problems arose during our evening at Bernardin's. Listing all of them would far exceed the character limitation. Major issues included the establishment of the reservation, the presentation of a bottle of wine that was NOT wanted/ordered (this was after much discussion regarding the selection) and a general failure at service and attention to detail (one needs a fork to eat dinner). The food was indeed excellent, but this restaurant needs to provide some basic training for its staff when considering the presentation of its food.
- Great RestaurantDatenightfunDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I love to try new restaurants when we have the chance. Charlotte has many places to eat. This was our first time at Bernardins Restaurant and I was extremely impressed with the variety in the menu. I ordered the Filet and my husband had the Salmon. Both were amazing and perfectly cooked. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- taste and rateluv2dineDined on 7/18/2014I had ordered the Salmon with vegetables when I receive the plate the salmon, was a small portion size and there was barely any vegetables on the plate and to me that was unacceptable so the portion size needs to be increased concerning the the vegetables for this particular dish that I had I was not satisfied with thatbased on the price that you're charging for the food entreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LKW1977Dined on 7/11/2014We went to dinner here because the menu looked good and we were looking for a new restaurant to try out. We were pleasantly surprised by how delicious the food was. We were promptly seated and well-cared for by our server. I had a cocktail with ginger that was delicious. Our appetizer was very good, but paled compared with our entrees, which were fabulous. My husband had the kangaroo which was cooked very well and served with a delicious "potato pancake" that I would eat again and again. I had the curried grouper that was cooked perfectly and very aromatic. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DEE LISH US!SchlrDined on 7/11/2014I found this restaurant using the Urban Spoon app and I'm glad I did. After walking the few blocks from my hotel, I found that they are closed from 2pm -5pm but my reservation was for 5pm so that was ok. I walked into the restaurant and was seated immediately. I ordered the calamari, which was cooked perfectly. I don't normally care for dipping sauces, but I could tell that to someone with a more diverse palette they would enjoy the sauces that came with the calamari. The main course I chose was the stuffed chicken, with potatoes, and asparagus, it is one of the few meals that I have ever completed in a restaurant leaving nothing but the sauce on the plate. I paced myself so that I could enjoy every bite.Special Features:
- Dining at Bernardin'sSquaredbmVIPDined on 7/2/2014Food was excellent. Constructive criticism....$150 bottle of Cabernet served at room temp. Needs to come rt out of temp controlled wine cellar. But very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placesmashNdashDined on 6/28/2014The food and service was great. Our waitress not so. She forgot our crab cakes. My girlfriend's meal was not made at all the way she wanted. Maybe it was the chef that only makes it his way. The drinks are very good. Oh and the menu is great I had ostrich for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reese122Dined on 6/21/2014Would love to have a different table! Have been there twice and seated at same table both times, despite the restaurant having several other available tables. Requests for a different table were ignored. Scallops were great, tuna was overcooked. Server was great, except she didn't give us a different table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FooddinefamilyDined on 6/14/2014I'm a foodie so I can be picky about what I'm eating. We started with the calamari which is something we don't order that much because 9 times out of 10 it's like eating rubber bands; this was good and tender but the sauces werent that great. The duck with fig and honey cooked under the chefs recommendation was incredible. My wife had the filet and it was the best filet I've ever had at a restaurant and that's up against mortens. Ruth Chris and the rest of them. Great food cooks perfectly. The sides were ok, nothing to go crazy about but the red cabbage with the duck worked well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a Bad TimeRedstickDined on 6/10/2014I have visited Bernardin's for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed. Good menu with reasonable priced food and great service.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceKatieDined on 6/2/2014We visited to celebrate our anniversary and were treated to sitting to the special table in the window and champagne. The food was excellent and our server, Megan was attentive and had a fun personality.Special Features:
- The following 473 reviews are from the Bernardin's Restaurant - Charlotte reviews archive.
- A+OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/22/2014The food is always fresh and good at your restaurant. You also have great staff. Susan is an awesome waitress.Special Features:
- dinner before a showLalycDined on 5/16/2014Food was very interesting and tasty. We had lamb, beef and scallops. All were excellent We let them know that we needed to be at the theater at 8:00 and we were still able to have 3 courses - stater, entree and dessert.Special Features:
- Great dinner! Great ServiceNCProfessionalVIPDined on 5/16/2014Wonderful dinner from the first specialty cocktail to dessert. Everyone loved their entrees - not easy when you have a group. Great service too. They even sent the bartender to answer a question to make sure we had accurate information.Special Features: