Bernardin's Restaurant at the Zevely House
901 West Fourth Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Bernardin's Restaurant at the Zevely House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bernardinsfinedining.com/
- Phone: 3367256666x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm-until
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Freddy Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Terry Lee, Freddy Lee 3367256666x
A word from Bernardin's Restaurant at the Zevely House
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bernardin's Restaurant at the Zevely House - Best Restaurants in Winston-Salem ›
Bernardin's Restaurant at the Zevely House reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (36)special occasion (32)great for outdoor dining (31)fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (5)good for groups (5)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- Nice place for Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014The food was great. Nice for a special occasion. What would make the restaurant much better is to increase the quality of the wait staff. Need to be more knowledgeable about the wine list and the food and increase overall quality of service.Special Features:
- You Need To Dine HHerr!GreatFoodFanaticDined on 9/12/2014My first time and I will be back many more times. Everything I want in a nice restaurant. Food food, good service and foo ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenttwtwVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great food. Not terribly pricey. With drinks before, meal, wine, desert, tip expect to pay $125 per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellence rediscoveredpednephDined on 9/3/2014We had not been to Bernardin's for some time and that has been our loss. The ambience has always been good and dining outside under the grape arbor is special. The food was superb and the service equally good. We went with close friends for our anniversary and it was a great evening. We all agreed that we need to put Bernardins back into our dining rotation.Special Features:
- Garrett4Dined on 8/23/2014Haven't been there in years and food and drinks were delicious as well as wonderful service. Two of our party of 4 had chicken dishes, one had fish and one enjoyed the scallops. Three of us needed to go boxes for left overs since portions so large but all said the food was excellentSpecial Features:
- IrishDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food in quiet romantic surroundings. Not a large menu but what they do , they do extremely well. A different waitress would probably have made it 5 stars all roundSpecial Features:
- Everything Good!SqueakyDined on 8/19/2014On top of the food and service having been great, we felt very comfortable and though we lost track of time no one tried to rush us.Special Features:
- Fantastic MealInHocDined on 8/9/2014We've always had great meals and service at Bernardin's, and this dinner didn't disappoint. They have an innovative menu that's well executed. The beef carpaccio salad is one of the best salads in the Triad, but the lamb chops with fried sticky rice were the bomb this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite spotArjaynCathyDined on 8/2/2014Bernardin's is the wine list is fantastic. The service is a fabulous balance of knowledge, attentiveness, and wit. The ambiance is pleasant, quiet, and romantic. It's a perfect spot for anniversaries, big dates, or quiet birthdays. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge PortionsLupeluDined on 7/17/2014Our appetizers were tasty (tuna tuna and gaspacho) but our entrees (lamb chops and brie stuffed chicken) were lacking in flavor and each of our portions were HUGE - enough to feed at least two people! For some this would be great, for others, not so much. The wait staff was nice but pretty confused throughout the evening. We sat outside which was lovely. There is a small parking lot for the restaurant but it was full (but not w/ patrons of the restaurant based on who we saw leaving when we left) so we parked on the street. This is a quaint area of town w/ several restaurants in the vicinity. Good vibe.Special Features:
- I keep hoping for greatjrchicago9Dined on 7/17/2014A caveat: I will return to Bernardins. There's just a part of me that keeps hoping to go and receive the best meal of the year. They have the potential. My biggest recommendation this visit is that while the food was very good, the menu is much more suited to the fall or early winter and not mid July. Chef should lighten things up in the summer. Go to Bernardins, sit outside (even if there's a light rain) and you will be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining... Not fine serviceLovelifebigtimeDined on 7/12/2014Sorry , sorely disappointed in the service..... I was a fine dining server at one time and NEVER acted as this waitress did in front of customersSpecial Features:
- Very good but not excellentdougiedDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was more suited for Five Guys than fine dining.Special Features:
- dinerDined on 6/27/2014Disappointing. This used to be know as a very good restaurant. Food was okay, but nothing special and not very innovative.Special Features:
- Great meal and atmosphereChesVIPDined on 6/27/2014We made a reservation, and were seated immediately open arrival. We felt as if they expected us- very hospitable. Our waiter was charming- attentive but not intrusive. The food was delicious! There were four of us, we all had something different. We all sampled one another's entree... And we all ordered well, but would've been happy with any of the other dishes! YUM! We look forward to going back soon!Special Features:
- Disappointment in Fine DiningfreqtravellerDined on 6/21/2014I should have known going in and the place was practically empty on a Saturday night. Granted this was an early reservation ; but the 2 other (not fine dining) places across the street were over flowing. The service was average. The food mixed. The gazpacho was good and my guest's Salmon we very good... The surf and turf was a complete disappointment. for my 6oz filet I was fatty and chewy (not what I consider the actual "filet mignon" ) .. Had to return it. The replacement steak was better, but I actually had a taste of someone's sirloin at an Applebees the next day and that was more tender and flavourful. The two other tables (not very busy) had issues with their meals as well.Special Features:
- Lovely (but a little lacking)CallistoVIPDined on 6/12/2014Our first dining experience at Bernardin's, and we chose al fresco due to the beautiful weather.(We peeked afterwards at the inside dining spaces - really quite lovely.) The food was quite good (generous portions of the duck and tuna, for sure), albeit not the extraordinary experience indicated by many reviews. The waitstaff was mixed - some people warm, helpful, and friendly, but disappointing our waitress seemed rather harried (and almost annoyed about something). A little more polish on the niceties, please, and it will be wonderful.Special Features:
- No rain on our paradeNordicgalDined on 6/9/2014We had a fun romantic dinner in the rain! We sat outside even though we saw some clouds rolling in. When it started to rain, we were adequately sheltered. The ambiance was great--quiet and intimate, surrounded by a lush garden setting. Our waitress was knowledgable and friendly, and the food was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down a notchdfriedmnDined on 6/6/2014We have been to Bernardin's many times. It's an exemplary restaurant. A fantastic setting and outdoor dining under the arbor a real treat. But, not so much the other night. Strangely, our biggest complaint was that the portions were way too big! Our waiter was attentive when at the table, but gone for long intervals. My duck was tough (the root veggies with it were to die for). The Heirloom tomato was tough and ordinary. The crème brulee was a bit watery (not that any was left over). Despite these complaints, we all plowed through our food and felt great at the end. We expect it score 95. This last meal was more like an 85.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place without the attitudeTweeterDined on 6/4/2014The staff, especially Alex, is very friendly and always able to suggest something that goes well with the evening! What a menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itAgirlsgottaeatDined on 6/2/2014Went with 3 couples and sat outside, it was a lovely night. The food and service were great. I wish it stayed open a little later.Special Features:
- Dinner at Zevely HouselovetoeatDined on 5/31/2014Friendly staff. The outside seating was beautiful. Cocktails and wine great. I ordered a Caesar salad to be topped with filet mignon. Hubby ordered french onion soup and kangaroo. I was served the salad and him, the soup. served. I thought perhaps the waitress would serve it with my husband's entree. I was really surprised to be served the filet entree!!! When I questioned the waitress, she looked at her writing, admitted it was her fault, but made no attempt to rectify the cost of the meal. So, we spent about $25 extra. I was not happy about that.Special Features:
- The following 346 reviews are from the Bernardin's Restaurant at the Zevely House reviews archive.
- Another splendid mealRandyT5194Dined on 5/24/2014We love Bernardin's, having eaten there many times before and since their move to West 4th Street. My party of 6 asked for and received patio seating, under the wisteria arbor. Perfect weather, service, ambiance. I had the "Roqueford" salad, with endive and spiced pecans. The endive was julienned and quite good, but the 1-2 ounce piece pf cheese was to die for. I also had the Goat Cheese Ravioli. Excellently prepared, and nearly as good as the salad ;-) My companions all enjoyed their filet, salmon, lobster, and can't remember.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceFoodloverDined on 5/19/2014The food was divine and the service was excellent. Very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Up Tiil Almost the EndBobCDined on 5/17/2014The Maitre D was surly to say the least. Not my problem - HIS, Saturday night notwithstanding! So unplesant on arrival we contemplated leaving. Food was good, service plesant but a bit overly chatty and not at all familiar with the wine list. Have no problem with a tip fixe on a 6+ dinner party - 20%. Do have a MAJOR PROBLEM when the 20% is calculated on the dinner bill +the sales tax. Didn't amount to much but the principle bothers me. Let it slide this time, but, next time, if there is a next time, it will be see called out BIG TIME!Special Features:
- Excellent food and great atmospheretota18VIPDined on 5/13/2014This place is a great local restaurant that has excellent food and superb service. The kangaroo was excellent and the steak was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Wonderful dinner at a great spot. Lovely server. We did have to ask twice to be moved out of one room which was noisey due to a large party. They did finally move us. We would definitely go back and would love to eat outside. It was raining the night we were there.Special Features:
- Bernardin's at the Zevely HouseStevesreviewsDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I had a great time. The service was great, the food was excellent. This is one of the better restaurants here in the Triad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our go-to placesRunningbareDined on 5/9/2014Bernardin's is one of those special occasion places to which we go occasionally when we want a special dinner out or want to share a meal with another couple. The food is always excellent, as is the service, and we like the historical background of the building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ListFoodie4lifeDined on 5/2/2014First visit and we were not disappointed. The food is excellent and so is the service. It is too bad the only restroom is down stairs, because of this I had to limit what I drank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemFoodieDined on 4/26/2014We have been going to Bernardins for many years even when they were in their original location in a strip mall. Food is outstanding. My favorite is the crab cakes closely followed by their lobster over lobster ravioli in a champagne cream sauce. In a historical old house downtown. Neat experience. Pricey but we'll worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantfoodloverVIPDined on 4/26/2014I had the lobster atop lobster ravioli with cream sauce and it was wonderful. My husband had the kangaroo which was surprisingly good as well. Lovely ambiance. This is my new favorite restaurant in Winston Salem.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningRunnergirlDined on 4/19/2014We came here for dinner to celebrate Easter with my daughter a college student at Wake Forest. It was a wonderful evening, food was terrific, quiet and easy to talk which was important to all of us. Also I am quite sensitive to salt nearly allergic and the waitstaff came back and told me that my meal was lightly salted this is extremely important to know and often not shared. I greatly appreciated the waitstaff checking for me. Also we were running late and able to change our reservation that day from 6:30 to 7. Very accommodating. We loved the room and food, truly a nice evening.Special Features:
- awsome in every waydmh1Dined on 3/31/2014great service, food options and preparation was superb, overall a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bernardin's dinnerJPavDined on 3/29/2014I've dined at Bernardin's on several occasions before. I have never been disappointed. I took my daughter on a dinner date since she didn't want to attend her high school's prom. The food was incredible - great variety of choices and outstanding preparation. I'm sure she will remember the kangaroo steak more than she would have an evening with her classmates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodalnbonnieDined on 3/22/2014One of our favorites for date night dining. It always has good good and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- An enjoyable dining experienceluv2dineDined on 3/18/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at Bernardin's Restaurant at the Zevely House. This was our first time eating there since Bernardin's changed locations. The atmosphere was quaint and cozy. There was a small group there but they didn't overwhelm the space. Our waitperson was very friendly and helpful with our menu selection. We both ordered the clam chowder and the kangaroo. The chowder was very good and the kangaroo was excellent. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit toBig50Dined on 3/12/2014This was our first visit to Bernardin's and it will not be our last. It was a wonderful experience. Bottle of winde delivered upon arrival and we were able to enjoy a glass of wine and martini while reviewing the menu. We ordered a Heirloom tomato salad appetizer. The salad had a basil sherry vinagrette and was light and crispy. Very refreshing. One of the specials was a 1 1/4 lobster with lobster ravioli with a creme sauce and shrimp and the dish looked absolutely delightful. My husband said it was outstanding. I ordered the Surf & Turf with a potato cake, spinach, horseradish cream, and lemon wine. I asked for it med rare and it was perferctly done. Everything was tastefully done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine Lobster ravioli!agwinstonDined on 2/27/2014We celebrated our first year wedding anniversary here and we may continue the tradition every year! Their lobster ravioli was the special and it was to die for! An absolute must if they have it on the menu! Great service, beautiful atmosphere and a definite favorite on our dining card!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Awesomecgm1028Dined on 2/22/2014Great food and service. This place never disappoints and can be counted on to deliver on expectations. Yes, its pricey, but worth every penny.Special Features: