118 Beacon Street
Somerville, MA 02143Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bergamotrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175767700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Keith Pooler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bergamot
Bergamot is all about neighborhood hospitality and Progressive American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bergamot - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
Bergamot reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (129)special occasion (99)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (58)notable wine list (48)hot spot (16)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great evening at BergamotColeminkDined on 10/17/2014We were here on a Friday evening with all the tables filled which added to the lively atmosphere. Waiter was very attentive as we had one person with a food allergy in our midst but he made sure everything was to our liking. Good wines were poured at our table so you could actually see what you are drinking. Food combinations were special and delicious in both texture and taste. This was our second time at Bergamot but we will keep it on our favorites list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteWestCambridgeLadyVIPDined on 10/12/2014Unlike most restaurants, this place just keeps getting better. The chef combines unexpected flavors and everything we ordered was sublime. Especially the desserts. We plan to come back often.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerSbostonDined on 10/10/2014We chose the prix fixe menu which allows you to choose anything from the menu. All the food was fantastic! Husband got the braised beef lengua (which he's never had before), cod entree and deconstructed pear crumble. I got the roasted beets, veal roulade and kabocha squash cheesecake. The roasted brussels sprouts on the side were worth adding on! Service was helpful without being intrusive. The drink list was really interesting and cocktails were tasty. The kitchen sent out an intermezzo before dessert: apple and celery sorbet over peanut butter feuilletine. WOW! It sounds weird but the soft celery sorbet combined with the crunchy peanut butter crunch made for a delicious combo! Would definitely go back and try the 7-course tasting menu.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in the areaLileDined on 10/10/2014Delicious food from A to Z. Service was perfect. Super friendly. We asked for some advice for the wine and end up with something really nice. Cocktails are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningcambridgekalDined on 10/10/2014Some family members who enjoy food came to town and dinner at Bergamot seemed the perfect way to start their visit. We enjoyed three delicious courses, an excellent wine, and some of the best service in town. They couldn't stop saying what a wonderful meal it had been.Special Features:
- always excellentDickDined on 10/6/2014We have eaten at Bergamot regularly ever since it opened. It is always excellent.Special Features:
- Great service and food/wine menuGoingOutDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed the people here - the staff was very friendly while being very professional and doing a great job. The food was hit/miss - we tried a cod special but it was dry, while I had the cod entree and it was perfect! Good menu options, great price, nice wine list, attentive service, the place is only lacking ambiance; it seemed like just one big room, could use some partitions or some kind of decor to break up the space.Special Features:
- Terrific Food, noisy placeEleniODined on 10/4/2014The space is nice but the noise level is disconcerting, encouraged by very high ceiling and the constant background music. The food and the options of a prix fixe or 7-course meal are wonderful. And so is the service.Special Features:
- treatsnsnoozinVIPDined on 10/2/2014Bergamot has been on the list of places I want to try for far too long - finally made it here to celebrate my husbands birthday. And I'd say it was worth the wait! The service was fantastic - multiple people assisted us throughout the evening and all were wonderful, and commented appropriately on my husbands birthday celebration. We both chose to do the $42 price fix for 3 courses which is very reasonable given the quality of the food. There were bit and pieces of our desserts that we didn't love but other than that dinner was wonderful. Would recommend checking this one off your list and even returning again!Special Features:
- MmmmmmmmmnicknameheyoDined on 10/1/2014Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Perfect.Special Features:
- Bergamot Great as AlwaysPaulVIPDined on 9/28/2014Went to Bergamot for 5th time expecting to use a soon to expire voucher for the 7 course Chefs Tasting, not realizing that we would need at least 2 - 3 hours, and should advance book. However the Manager was very gracious, saying he would be happy to either credit us the amount that night, or honor the voucher at a later time of our choosing. We happily ordered off the regular menu. Pork Loin with Corn Pudding superb, House Cured Salmon among the best I have had, and the Squash Cheesecake was ridiculously good. My Wife really enjoyed her Redfish dish as well, and the cocktails and wine were well explained and presented. Once again homes run, and we look forward to our return for the Chef’s Tasting.Special Features:
- MGalaDined on 9/28/2014Service was good in beginning but as time went on they didn't even look at the table to see if anything was needed. Tables were very tightSpecial Features:
- AlanVIPDined on 9/26/2014The appetizers and dessert were excellent but he entre, not much: A filet of mushy red fish filet that was completely over presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true find!SabrosoDined on 9/26/2014Food, service, setting, all top notch. We were particularly impressed by the attentiveness and professionalism of the wait-staff. The swordfish was perfectly prepared, and I am told that the risotto was rich and delicious. All in all, an excellent dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7 Course Tasting MenuZarlowVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had a groupon for a 7 course tasting menu (a real deal at two for the price of one). They let us use the groupon even though we had not asked in advanced. They accommodated our various food restrictions (vegetarian, food allergies) flawlessly with very tasty options for all. Some restaurants just take out the item and it often doesn't taste very good. The service was flawless. An excellent evening.Special Features:
- Bergamot is a Gem!!PAS2539VIPDined on 9/14/2014Bergamot never disappoints. We love its predecessor, EVOO, and still frequent it's Kendall Square location. But, we have been trying to get in to Bergamot for months, and finally was able to make a reservation for Sun evening (9/14). The martinis were fine and the wine list good and not over priced (approx $12/glass). We had the pig's head appetizer which was delicious! The swordfish and pork loin entrees were both well prepared and presented. Delicious! Couldn't ask for a better dinner out. Can't wait to go back (BTW parking lot is a couple of doors down).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceWillDined on 9/14/2014This was the perfect place to catch up with an old friend, both for business and pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningSunnyDined on 9/13/2014Really top notch food thoughtfully prepared and beautifully presented. Intimate and romantic setting. Good service. Would recommend for a speicla date night.Special Features:
- This is how food should tasteLuckyGirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014Bergamot is fantastic. The service is stellar from the moment you walk in through the moment you walk out. The food is delicious. The chef pulls together creative flavor combinations that make for an amazing meal. I highly recommend the 7 course chef tasting. It's a fun culinary experience since you don't know what you will be served. Each course was a surprise and a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It just gets betterSueat22Dined on 9/7/2014We ate this restaurant before it was Bergamot and have eaten here several times since. Our recent visit was the best yet: an heirloom tomato appetizer, a blackened redfish main course, and a ricotta cheesecake with fresh fruit for dessert. All were well prepared and healthy! Their wine list is not large but well chosen. The servers were attentive and helpful. The French talk about the ratio of price to quality. That ratio for this reasonably priced restaurant would be excellent. The sole detracting featiure was the music, which they insisted on playing despite our requests to tone it down. I mean, rock-and-roll when you're trying to eat and converse?Special Features:
- Excellent food experiencegreatfoodgoodtimeDined on 9/5/2014The food was great, we went for our anniversary. This is not an inexpensive place, but that is perfect because the quality and care matched the increase in prices you would expect to find. It wasn't astronomically expensive. But meals, two drinks, desert and appetizer was about $129.00. Well worth it, and very nice staff and everything was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BillDined on 9/3/2014Took my fiance here for her birthday dinner. Waitstaff was knowledgeable about the specials and constantly serving. Prix fixe is a bargain here and everything tasted wonderful. The red pepper coulis reminded me of a very elegant buffalo sauce and was fantastic on the fried green tomatoes (the only fault here was the overabundance of salt between the bacon/stuffing bottom layer). Charcuterie was memorable and the beet salad was warm and delicious. The arctic char was cooked perfect and my fiance's steak was undeniably good. We will be coming back here again for sure!Special Features:
- Continues excellenceZoltVIPDined on 9/2/2014Always appreciate the knowledgable service and quality food. Wine list is good for its price point and generally matches meals very well. Have yet to be disapointed.Special Features:
- OkayOkayDined on 9/1/2014I'd rather walk across the street and dine at Dali. The waitress kept nudging us to get the chef's menu and seemed disappointed when we ordered the prix-fixe menu instead. It was an interesting experience, but I wouldn't go back. The food was interesting but average at best.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We had one of the best meals in the Boston/ Cambridge area in our 10+ years living here. Superior service. Great meal options and excellent value for the high quality. We chose the prix fixe option and added on the side items (fried green tomatoes for one, blistered peppers for the other). Andalusian gazpacho best I've ever had. Beautifully cooked fish with exact seasonings. Perfectly salted. Corn explosion for one dessert, chocolate mousse for the other. Spectacular end to the meal. We look forward to coming again & trying the chef's tasting menu. That will be a treat!Special Features:
- OutstandingPhoebeDined on 8/28/2014Four of us dining for "Dining Out Boston". Two of us love to cook and cook "seasonally" from our gardens. Each dish we ordered from appetizer to dessert was superb. Service friendly but attentive not pretentious at all. Am eager to return again and again. I do not find this to be the case very often. A few lower priced bottles of wine would be my only suggestion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with bonusesanonymousDined on 8/27/2014Exceedingly good food, with various chef extra tasting dishes thrown in for added pleasure.Special Features:
- Delicious, But PriceyStephDined on 8/25/2014Booked a trip to Bergamot for a friend's birthday dinner for Dine Out Boston. My gut feel is that this restaurant is on the cusp of being something great, but not quite there yet. The decor and the ambiance was fantastic, and the waitress was incredibly engaging and just all around great. However, despite the high expectations (a place that has a 7-course chef tasting HAS to be something crazy good, right?) and the relatively large selection for a high end pris fixe menu, I have to say that I wasn't exactly blown away by the the food. Don't get me wrong, it was great, I just don't think that I'd pay $42 for another round.Special Features:
- Delicious, inventive cuisine.betsybobDined on 8/24/2014On our fifth trip, we tried the 7-course tasting menu with wine parings. It was perfect. Bergamot is now at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go and loveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014We were genuinely welcomed at the kiosk. Service was there when we wanted them and unobtrusive when we conversed and dined. The food is exquisite to see and taste. Art on the plate and layered tastes to the tongue. It's the whole "farm-to-table" approach, which seems clicheic until the first forkful. Then the freshness and composition of sight, taste and texture made delicious, delightful sense. Somehow the atmosphere is warm and inviting but then your napkin is folded when you're away from the table. The prix fixe has to be the best in Boston metro for such a perfect experience. I want to return at least once a week.Special Features:
- Not quite as advertisedgov10Dined on 8/20/2014We went to Bergamot since it is considered 'the best restaurant in Somerville'. We ordered the prix fixe menu (7 courses) thinking we were going to get the best of what the restaurant has to offer. the first 5 courses were really great, no complaints. However when the 6th course arrived (the meat course, beef with veggies) it was really bad (chewy and not flavorful whatsoever). We alerted our waiter to this fact and they brought us a different dish (pork medallions) which was almost as dreadful, just ever so slightly better. Honestly, a place of this caliber should know not to cook the pork to the point of it being completely dry. So overall having spent nearly $300 on a meal and drinks we walked out thinking we'll never go back.
- Possibly Best meal in Boston EverOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014Went during restaurant week -- amazing! Before we left, we made a reservation to come back! Food was amazing! Only complaint was service was not as friendly as expected. Our primary server (not sure if he was because we had so many different ones) did not give us his name. Service was very formal. Would have liked it to be a bit more friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/18/2014Very much enjoyed dinner at Bergamot. Food was inventive and tasty. Atmosphere unpretentious. Wait staff was extremely attentive, especially to my food allergies, recommending dishes that I could eat and readily making substitutions for side dishes. Only downside was my dining partner complained that the pork on his dish contained a great deal of fat on it that was hard to see and trim in the low lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie21VIPDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful dinner! Attentive service, delicious menu choices that demonstrate creativity in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 8/17/2014A superb dining spot, one that I would think of first when taking friends not from the Boston area out to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been too longChewintItUpDined on 8/17/2014It's been a while since my wife & I got to go back to Bergamot, and we sorely missed the place! The food, service, and professional attitudes have always been the highlights for us. We know that no matter what they may have on the menu, all 3 of those qualities will always be present. Hopefully we will drop by sooner than later next time around.Special Features:
- Worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Starters and main courses were well prepared and we greatly enjoyed our meals. The desserts were too "imaginative" for out tastes and one or two traditional choices would have been appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulravenwellDined on 8/14/2014we had the chef's tasting and it was wonderful. what a great take on eggplant parm! at first it tasted like any ordinary egg plant parm you would get at a standard sub shop but the more you ate of it the more creative it tasted. a true triumph of a dish. the wait staff were all top shelf. professional yet fun and not snobby at all. and hey they even have free parking in somerville! great for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with a creative chefNotGoodAtTennisDined on 8/13/2014We had a birthday dinner for 5. The food is superb and the recipes unusual. A little light on vegetarian items in the menu but a little negotiation with the waiter resulted in meatless versions of several items. The wine list is excellent but not extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're a class act, Bergamot!MandGDined on 8/13/2014I spent 20 years working in and managing restaurants and often am hyper-critical when dining out. I have nothing but great things to say about our experience this week! The food is creative and delicious with gorgeous presentations. The wait staff is spot on - attentive but not distracting, super-professional. The libations are well done, but not over done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.