118 Beacon Street
Somerville, MA 02143Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bergamotrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175767700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Keith Pooler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bergamot
Bergamot is all about neighborhood hospitality and Progressive American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bergamot - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
Bergamot reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)special occasion (108)neighborhood gem (106)romantic (74)notable wine list (52)hot spot (14)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Bergamot is a Gem!!PAS2539VIPDined on 9/14/2014Bergamot never disappoints. We love its predecessor, EVOO, and still frequent it's Kendall Square location. But, we have been trying to get in to Bergamot for months, and finally was able to make a reservation for Sun evening (9/14). The martinis were fine and the wine list good and not over priced (approx $12/glass). We had the pig's head appetizer which was delicious! The swordfish and pork loin entrees were both well prepared and presented. Delicious! Couldn't ask for a better dinner out. Can't wait to go back (BTW parking lot is a couple of doors down).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceWillDined on 9/14/2014This was the perfect place to catch up with an old friend, both for business and pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningSunnyDined on 9/13/2014Really top notch food thoughtfully prepared and beautifully presented. Intimate and romantic setting. Good service. Would recommend for a speicla date night.Special Features:
- This is how food should tasteLuckyGirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014Bergamot is fantastic. The service is stellar from the moment you walk in through the moment you walk out. The food is delicious. The chef pulls together creative flavor combinations that make for an amazing meal. I highly recommend the 7 course chef tasting. It's a fun culinary experience since you don't know what you will be served. Each course was a surprise and a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It just gets betterSueat22Dined on 9/7/2014We ate this restaurant before it was Bergamot and have eaten here several times since. Our recent visit was the best yet: an heirloom tomato appetizer, a blackened redfish main course, and a ricotta cheesecake with fresh fruit for dessert. All were well prepared and healthy! Their wine list is not large but well chosen. The servers were attentive and helpful. The French talk about the ratio of price to quality. That ratio for this reasonably priced restaurant would be excellent. The sole detracting featiure was the music, which they insisted on playing despite our requests to tone it down. I mean, rock-and-roll when you're trying to eat and converse?Special Features:
- Excellent food experiencegreatfoodgoodtimeDined on 9/5/2014The food was great, we went for our anniversary. This is not an inexpensive place, but that is perfect because the quality and care matched the increase in prices you would expect to find. It wasn't astronomically expensive. But meals, two drinks, desert and appetizer was about $129.00. Well worth it, and very nice staff and everything was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BillDined on 9/3/2014Took my fiance here for her birthday dinner. Waitstaff was knowledgeable about the specials and constantly serving. Prix fixe is a bargain here and everything tasted wonderful. The red pepper coulis reminded me of a very elegant buffalo sauce and was fantastic on the fried green tomatoes (the only fault here was the overabundance of salt between the bacon/stuffing bottom layer). Charcuterie was memorable and the beet salad was warm and delicious. The arctic char was cooked perfect and my fiance's steak was undeniably good. We will be coming back here again for sure!Special Features:
- Continues excellenceZoltVIPDined on 9/2/2014Always appreciate the knowledgable service and quality food. Wine list is good for its price point and generally matches meals very well. Have yet to be disapointed.Special Features:
- OkayOkayDined on 9/1/2014I'd rather walk across the street and dine at Dali. The waitress kept nudging us to get the chef's menu and seemed disappointed when we ordered the prix-fixe menu instead. It was an interesting experience, but I wouldn't go back. The food was interesting but average at best.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We had one of the best meals in the Boston/ Cambridge area in our 10+ years living here. Superior service. Great meal options and excellent value for the high quality. We chose the prix fixe option and added on the side items (fried green tomatoes for one, blistered peppers for the other). Andalusian gazpacho best I've ever had. Beautifully cooked fish with exact seasonings. Perfectly salted. Corn explosion for one dessert, chocolate mousse for the other. Spectacular end to the meal. We look forward to coming again & trying the chef's tasting menu. That will be a treat!Special Features:
- OutstandingPhoebeDined on 8/28/2014Four of us dining for "Dining Out Boston". Two of us love to cook and cook "seasonally" from our gardens. Each dish we ordered from appetizer to dessert was superb. Service friendly but attentive not pretentious at all. Am eager to return again and again. I do not find this to be the case very often. A few lower priced bottles of wine would be my only suggestion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with bonusesanonymousDined on 8/27/2014Exceedingly good food, with various chef extra tasting dishes thrown in for added pleasure.Special Features:
- Delicious, But PriceyStephDined on 8/25/2014Booked a trip to Bergamot for a friend's birthday dinner for Dine Out Boston. My gut feel is that this restaurant is on the cusp of being something great, but not quite there yet. The decor and the ambiance was fantastic, and the waitress was incredibly engaging and just all around great. However, despite the high expectations (a place that has a 7-course chef tasting HAS to be something crazy good, right?) and the relatively large selection for a high end pris fixe menu, I have to say that I wasn't exactly blown away by the the food. Don't get me wrong, it was great, I just don't think that I'd pay $42 for another round.Special Features:
- Delicious, inventive cuisine.betsybobDined on 8/24/2014On our fifth trip, we tried the 7-course tasting menu with wine parings. It was perfect. Bergamot is now at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go and loveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014We were genuinely welcomed at the kiosk. Service was there when we wanted them and unobtrusive when we conversed and dined. The food is exquisite to see and taste. Art on the plate and layered tastes to the tongue. It's the whole "farm-to-table" approach, which seems clicheic until the first forkful. Then the freshness and composition of sight, taste and texture made delicious, delightful sense. Somehow the atmosphere is warm and inviting but then your napkin is folded when you're away from the table. The prix fixe has to be the best in Boston metro for such a perfect experience. I want to return at least once a week.Special Features:
- Not quite as advertisedgov10Dined on 8/20/2014We went to Bergamot since it is considered 'the best restaurant in Somerville'. We ordered the prix fixe menu (7 courses) thinking we were going to get the best of what the restaurant has to offer. the first 5 courses were really great, no complaints. However when the 6th course arrived (the meat course, beef with veggies) it was really bad (chewy and not flavorful whatsoever). We alerted our waiter to this fact and they brought us a different dish (pork medallions) which was almost as dreadful, just ever so slightly better. Honestly, a place of this caliber should know not to cook the pork to the point of it being completely dry. So overall having spent nearly $300 on a meal and drinks we walked out thinking we'll never go back.
- Possibly Best meal in Boston EverOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014Went during restaurant week -- amazing! Before we left, we made a reservation to come back! Food was amazing! Only complaint was service was not as friendly as expected. Our primary server (not sure if he was because we had so many different ones) did not give us his name. Service was very formal. Would have liked it to be a bit more friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/18/2014Very much enjoyed dinner at Bergamot. Food was inventive and tasty. Atmosphere unpretentious. Wait staff was extremely attentive, especially to my food allergies, recommending dishes that I could eat and readily making substitutions for side dishes. Only downside was my dining partner complained that the pork on his dish contained a great deal of fat on it that was hard to see and trim in the low lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie21VIPDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful dinner! Attentive service, delicious menu choices that demonstrate creativity in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 8/17/2014A superb dining spot, one that I would think of first when taking friends not from the Boston area out to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been too longOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014It's been a while since my wife & I got to go back to Bergamot, and we sorely missed the place! The food, service, and professional attitudes have always been the highlights for us. We know that no matter what they may have on the menu, all 3 of those qualities will always be present. Hopefully we will drop by sooner than later next time around.Special Features:
- Worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Starters and main courses were well prepared and we greatly enjoyed our meals. The desserts were too "imaginative" for out tastes and one or two traditional choices would have been appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulravenwellDined on 8/14/2014we had the chef's tasting and it was wonderful. what a great take on eggplant parm! at first it tasted like any ordinary egg plant parm you would get at a standard sub shop but the more you ate of it the more creative it tasted. a true triumph of a dish. the wait staff were all top shelf. professional yet fun and not snobby at all. and hey they even have free parking in somerville! great for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with a creative chefNotGoodAtTennisDined on 8/13/2014We had a birthday dinner for 5. The food is superb and the recipes unusual. A little light on vegetarian items in the menu but a little negotiation with the waiter resulted in meatless versions of several items. The wine list is excellent but not extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're a class act, Bergamot!MandGDined on 8/13/2014I spent 20 years working in and managing restaurants and often am hyper-critical when dining out. I have nothing but great things to say about our experience this week! The food is creative and delicious with gorgeous presentations. The wait staff is spot on - attentive but not distracting, super-professional. The libations are well done, but not over done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Think Outside The Box!MHMHVIPDined on 8/12/2014Combinations of food that you could never imagine - that really work and are fantastic! You must try the pork liver mousse and preserves - you'll be eating desert before dinner. This is fine dining at its most creative and delicious. And the waitstaff are among the best this world traveler has experienced.Special Features:
- First Class DiningDavidVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our first time dining at Bergamot was a wonderful experience. The presentation of items we ordered, portion size, and the attentiveness to our table from filling water glasses to pacing the servings was as good as it gets. Our wait person, Lisa, explained the menu items very well and answered our questions with perfect knowledge. Her professional attention to our every need was remarkable. An excellent dining experience. We shall definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK food, bad serviceLive2eatDined on 8/9/2014We returned to Bergamot after reading a glowing re-review in the Boston Globe. The experience, however, fell short of expectation. Our food was fine. Not great. An appetizer with peach and crispy ham was lovely, but fish - both cod & red fish - were bland and uninspired. Dessert was a collection of flavors that were odd together at best. But the service was genuinely poor. Two notable examples: our cocktails didn't arrive until after the appetizers (and after repeated request), and when one of our party answered yes to another slice of bread, that too took a second inquiry, and then our waiter put the slice on the bread plate by reaching in front of the diner's face, while he was eating! Will not be returning.
- dinner with parentsNickDined on 8/6/2014Had a lovely dinner with my parents, service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allergy FriendlyAnnieDined on 8/1/2014This establishment is very accommodating for diners with food restrictions and allergies. The servers and chefs worked closely together to create a three course prix fixe that was dairy free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Delicious, original food. Attentive but not intrusive waitstaff. A great place for a celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DowitcherDined on 7/24/2014Food was delightful. Among other things,we had a stellar soft shell crab that was served with delicious pasta and the ingredients were fresh and perfectly prepared. Our server was knowledgable and attentive. The maître de was welcoming and friendly.Special Features:
- Yum!MouthHappyDined on 7/22/2014Of the four of us, three were VERY happy with our meals. The charcuterie plate was delicious, I loved my creamed morels, my son was a bit disappointed with his steak (or, more specifically, the sauce on it). But the menu changes all the time. Check it out online. I'm already looking forward to my next chance to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful As UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent meal at Rendezvous. The Desserts were standout--roasted plum with adzuki bean paste, matcha something or other, kasha (!) icecream was delicious. The Tapioca coconut pudding came wrapped in a sesame tuile that was crunchy and with a sorbet and fresh fruit that punched it up. I had the morels in a cream sauce, lamb ravioli (superb), peaches and ham (great), soft shelled crab on pasta (surprisingly good). I'm not crazy about their wine selection because its too french and astringent for my taste but they really care about what they are serving and it shows.Special Features:
- Seasonal ingredientscapellaDined on 7/17/2014Imaginative use of seasonal ingredients: roasted peaches and pancetta; asparagus; fresh fava beans; Deconstructed desserts a surprise. Tables for two along the far wall are too crowded. Waiters' derrieres scraped our bread plates. We feared for our wine bottle while waiters served adjacent tables.Special Features:
- Delicious!MarsVIPDined on 7/16/2014Once again Bergamot delivers a delicious and rewarding dining experience. We started with the lamb raviolis and the asparagus salad, followed by the salmon and the roasted hake for dinner. It was all quite tasty!! Service was also excellent with observant but not obtrusive wait staff. We don't eat here often enuf!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnervertexduoDined on 7/15/2014For the appetizer, we had the charcuterie which was excellent, especially the head cheese. Entre was cod and dessert was strawberries and peaches. Portions a bit small, but well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavorsFautVivreDined on 7/10/2014The dishes were from local ingredients and were cooked with much thought to flavor - nothing too brash or unusual, but just interesting and subtle flavors that complemented each other. The charcuterie plate included a homemade sausage (pork I think) with pistachio and sundried tomato - and other subtle and harmonious flavors. I would love to have it again. Definitely French influence, but also loca-vore. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectsitogetherDined on 7/10/2014perfect birthday pick fun selections changing basic starts to extraodinary finishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somerville, and the dining is easyNHBobDined on 6/29/2014The Somerville food scene is really on the rise and Bergamot is among the best. The $42 fixed price menu is a very good value. The food is more Mediterranean than anything else but is not easy to classify. The seven course tasting menus at $75 with wine pairing sagaciously priced at $50 gives you the opportunity to sample a wide range of their offerings and is has never let us down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.