118 Beacon Street
Somerville, MA 02143Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bergamotrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175767700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Keith Pooler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bergamot
Bergamot is all about neighborhood hospitality and Progressive American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bergamot - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
Bergamot reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)special occasion (104)neighborhood gem (97)romantic (66)notable wine list (46)good for groups (13)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent with bonusesanonymousDined on 8/27/2014Exceedingly good food, with various chef extra tasting dishes thrown in for added pleasure.Special Features:
- Delicious, But PriceyStephDined on 8/25/2014Booked a trip to Bergamot for a friend's birthday dinner for Dine Out Boston. My gut feel is that this restaurant is on the cusp of being something great, but not quite there yet. The decor and the ambiance was fantastic, and the waitress was incredibly engaging and just all around great. However, despite the high expectations (a place that has a 7-course chef tasting HAS to be something crazy good, right?) and the relatively large selection for a high end pris fixe menu, I have to say that I wasn't exactly blown away by the the food. Don't get me wrong, it was great, I just don't think that I'd pay $42 for another round.Special Features:
- Delicious, inventive cuisine.betsybobDined on 8/24/2014On our fifth trip, we tried the 7-course tasting menu with wine parings. It was perfect. Bergamot is now at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go and loveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014We were genuinely welcomed at the kiosk. Service was there when we wanted them and unobtrusive when we conversed and dined. The food is exquisite to see and taste. Art on the plate and layered tastes to the tongue. It's the whole "farm-to-table" approach, which seems clicheic until the first forkful. Then the freshness and composition of sight, taste and texture made delicious, delightful sense. Somehow the atmosphere is warm and inviting but then your napkin is folded when you're away from the table. The prix fixe has to be the best in Boston metro for such a perfect experience. I want to return at least once a week.Special Features:
- Not quite as advertisedgov10Dined on 8/20/2014We went to Bergamot since it is considered 'the best restaurant in Somerville'. We ordered the prix fixe menu (7 courses) thinking we were going to get the best of what the restaurant has to offer. the first 5 courses were really great, no complaints. However when the 6th course arrived (the meat course, beef with veggies) it was really bad (chewy and not flavorful whatsoever). We alerted our waiter to this fact and they brought us a different dish (pork medallions) which was almost as dreadful, just ever so slightly better. Honestly, a place of this caliber should know not to cook the pork to the point of it being completely dry. So overall having spent nearly $300 on a meal and drinks we walked out thinking we'll never go back.
- Possibly Best meal in Boston EverOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014Went during restaurant week -- amazing! Before we left, we made a reservation to come back! Food was amazing! Only complaint was service was not as friendly as expected. Our primary server (not sure if he was because we had so many different ones) did not give us his name. Service was very formal. Would have liked it to be a bit more friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/18/2014Very much enjoyed dinner at Bergamot. Food was inventive and tasty. Atmosphere unpretentious. Wait staff was extremely attentive, especially to my food allergies, recommending dishes that I could eat and readily making substitutions for side dishes. Only downside was my dining partner complained that the pork on his dish contained a great deal of fat on it that was hard to see and trim in the low lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie21VIPDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful dinner! Attentive service, delicious menu choices that demonstrate creativity in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 8/17/2014A superb dining spot, one that I would think of first when taking friends not from the Boston area out to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Starters and main courses were well prepared and we greatly enjoyed our meals. The desserts were too "imaginative" for out tastes and one or two traditional choices would have been appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulravenwellDined on 8/14/2014we had the chef's tasting and it was wonderful. what a great take on eggplant parm! at first it tasted like any ordinary egg plant parm you would get at a standard sub shop but the more you ate of it the more creative it tasted. a true triumph of a dish. the wait staff were all top shelf. professional yet fun and not snobby at all. and hey they even have free parking in somerville! great for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with a creative chefNotGoodAtTennisDined on 8/13/2014We had a birthday dinner for 5. The food is superb and the recipes unusual. A little light on vegetarian items in the menu but a little negotiation with the waiter resulted in meatless versions of several items. The wine list is excellent but not extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're a class act, Bergamot!MandGDined on 8/13/2014I spent 20 years working in and managing restaurants and often am hyper-critical when dining out. I have nothing but great things to say about our experience this week! The food is creative and delicious with gorgeous presentations. The wait staff is spot on - attentive but not distracting, super-professional. The libations are well done, but not over done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Think Outside The Box!MHMHVIPDined on 8/12/2014Combinations of food that you could never imagine - that really work and are fantastic! You must try the pork liver mousse and preserves - you'll be eating desert before dinner. This is fine dining at its most creative and delicious. And the waitstaff are among the best this world traveler has experienced.Special Features:
- First Class DiningDavidVIPDined on 8/11/2014Our first time dining at Bergamot was a wonderful experience. The presentation of items we ordered, portion size, and the attentiveness to our table from filling water glasses to pacing the servings was as good as it gets. Our wait person, Lisa, explained the menu items very well and answered our questions with perfect knowledge. Her professional attention to our every need was remarkable. An excellent dining experience. We shall definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK food, bad serviceLive2eatDined on 8/9/2014We returned to Bergamot after reading a glowing re-review in the Boston Globe. The experience, however, fell short of expectation. Our food was fine. Not great. An appetizer with peach and crispy ham was lovely, but fish - both cod & red fish - were bland and uninspired. Dessert was a collection of flavors that were odd together at best. But the service was genuinely poor. Two notable examples: our cocktails didn't arrive until after the appetizers (and after repeated request), and when one of our party answered yes to another slice of bread, that too took a second inquiry, and then our waiter put the slice on the bread plate by reaching in front of the diner's face, while he was eating! Will not be returning.
- Allergy FriendlyAnnieDined on 8/1/2014This establishment is very accommodating for diners with food restrictions and allergies. The servers and chefs worked closely together to create a three course prix fixe that was dairy free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Delicious, original food. Attentive but not intrusive waitstaff. A great place for a celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DowitcherDined on 7/24/2014Food was delightful. Among other things,we had a stellar soft shell crab that was served with delicious pasta and the ingredients were fresh and perfectly prepared. Our server was knowledgable and attentive. The maître de was welcoming and friendly.Special Features:
- Yum!MouthHappyDined on 7/22/2014Of the four of us, three were VERY happy with our meals. The charcuterie plate was delicious, I loved my creamed morels, my son was a bit disappointed with his steak (or, more specifically, the sauce on it). But the menu changes all the time. Check it out online. I'm already looking forward to my next chance to eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful As UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent meal at Rendezvous. The Desserts were standout--roasted plum with adzuki bean paste, matcha something or other, kasha (!) icecream was delicious. The Tapioca coconut pudding came wrapped in a sesame tuile that was crunchy and with a sorbet and fresh fruit that punched it up. I had the morels in a cream sauce, lamb ravioli (superb), peaches and ham (great), soft shelled crab on pasta (surprisingly good). I'm not crazy about their wine selection because its too french and astringent for my taste but they really care about what they are serving and it shows.Special Features:
- Seasonal ingredientscapellaDined on 7/17/2014Imaginative use of seasonal ingredients: roasted peaches and pancetta; asparagus; fresh fava beans; Deconstructed desserts a surprise. Tables for two along the far wall are too crowded. Waiters' derrieres scraped our bread plates. We feared for our wine bottle while waiters served adjacent tables.Special Features:
- Delicious!MarsVIPDined on 7/16/2014Once again Bergamot delivers a delicious and rewarding dining experience. We started with the lamb raviolis and the asparagus salad, followed by the salmon and the roasted hake for dinner. It was all quite tasty!! Service was also excellent with observant but not obtrusive wait staff. We don't eat here often enuf!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnervertexduoDined on 7/15/2014For the appetizer, we had the charcuterie which was excellent, especially the head cheese. Entre was cod and dessert was strawberries and peaches. Portions a bit small, but well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavorsFautVivreDined on 7/10/2014The dishes were from local ingredients and were cooked with much thought to flavor - nothing too brash or unusual, but just interesting and subtle flavors that complemented each other. The charcuterie plate included a homemade sausage (pork I think) with pistachio and sundried tomato - and other subtle and harmonious flavors. I would love to have it again. Definitely French influence, but also loca-vore. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectsitogetherDined on 7/10/2014perfect birthday pick fun selections changing basic starts to extraodinary finishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somerville, and the dining is easyNHBobDined on 6/29/2014The Somerville food scene is really on the rise and Bergamot is among the best. The $42 fixed price menu is a very good value. The food is more Mediterranean than anything else but is not easy to classify. The seven course tasting menus at $75 with wine pairing sagaciously priced at $50 gives you the opportunity to sample a wide range of their offerings and is has never let us down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodFicklefoodie1Dined on 6/28/2014We had dinner at Bergamont on a Saturday evening and we were not disappointed. The cocktails, wine list, food quality and presentation were excellent. We look forward to our next dinner. Also, very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFoodie6VIPDined on 6/28/2014My friend and I had an incredible meal here - we chose to do the prix fixe, although I went with a couple of items that had an up-charge. The asparagus salad was fresh and delicious, my sirloin steak was melt-in-your-mouth delicious and cooked to a perfect medium rare. The cheese course for dessert brought me right back to vacationing in Europe! The service was excellent as well. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodhungrymanDined on 6/22/2014Overall a nice experience. The food was interesting, lovely flavor and spice combinations. The stuffed poblano pepper was excellent as were the carne offerings. The service was cordial if a tad over eager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful food with unique tastesakiraDined on 6/22/2014Bergamot is a cute high-end restaurant in Sommerville with classy american fare. I went there on a sunday evening for a date, arriving to a quiet half-filled restaurant. It had a relaxed and upscale atmosphere Bergamot offers one of the best Prix Fixe deals around - $42 for an appetizer, entree, and dessert. My date got the prix fixe and we shared the appetizer and dessert. This turned out to be the perfect amount of food. We got the house-made Charcuterie, grilled swordfish, pan-roasted cod with strawberries and apricots to finish off. The cod was the highlight of the meal - a perfect fish with a buttery fondu sauce compliment. My only complaint was the service asked if we were done a bit too often. Other than that, a delicious dinner.Special Features:
- Another great meal at BergamotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2014My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary here and ha a great time. The food was amazing and the service was impeccable. We even received a couple of amuse bouche type items during the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in Boston areaCarlVIPDined on 6/17/2014The combination of taste, presentation, service and ambiance is overall the best in Boston area. We also like Hungry Mother, and EVOO and Catalyst had their day too but have declined relatively over a few years. Magnificent dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2014We had a lovely, lovely evening at Bergamot - the host was friendly in a genuine way, our server was patient and didn't hover, and the food was scrumptious. There aren't that many places I've been in the Boston area that offer this combination of consistently good food with an upscale - yet not pretentious - atmosphere. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentagtcoolDined on 6/8/2014Dined at Bergamot on a Sunday and, though it seemed fairly busy, the staff was very attentive and we wanted for nothing. Our server was very knowledgeable and they had a great menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant!marlot313Dined on 6/5/2014Food was amazing. Definitely try this place. I'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- continued gemdancingshrimpDined on 6/5/2014I hadn't been to Bergamot for years. It's still the great restaurant I remember. Nice variety on the menu, wonderfully prepared food, friendly service.Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayPeony5VIPDined on 6/2/2014Appealing ambiance: warm, inviting, tables not too close. Graciously greeted as we arrived, given the seating I'd requested, staff professional, , cheerful, but not intrusive, wonderful wine list and menu. The pri fixe menu was inclusive...all the choices as the a la carte menu, and between courses little amusee buche - gift of the chef. The food was superb - imaginative, perfectly cooked, wonderful. It was a great evening.Special Features:
- A wonderful evening at Bergamot!guidoDined on 5/31/2014Bergamot continues to delight. Our dinners were deliciously inventive, emphasizing seasonal local ingredients. The wine list has moved away from its lovely Loire valley focus to more mainstream selections but has many fine selections. Service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RevereVIPDined on 5/30/2014Bergamot was outstanding. It always is. It is the best restaurant in Cambridge and Boston. The food is superb. The service is friendly, gracious and attentive. It is our "go-to" restaurant for all occasions.Special Features: