600 West Water Street
New Buffalo, MI 49117Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bentwoodtavern.com/
- Phone: 2694691699x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm;
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 10:00pm
Times are EST
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jenny Drilon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Stylish event spaces with high ceilings and windows accommodate as many as 120 or as few as ten.
- Private Party Contact: Alison VonEhr 2694692027x407
A word from Bentwood Tavern
Chef Jenny Drilon's sophisticated spin on pub fare, responsibly sourced and beautifully prepared. A warm, friendly gathering place featuring eight Michigan craft beers on tap and a curated wine list. Waterfront dining with outdoor seating available whenever weather allows.Continued
Lunch and dinner daily, with brunch from 9am on weekends.
Please be advised that the restaurant is operating on Eastern Standard Time.
Lunch and dinner daily, with brunch from 9am on weekends.
Please be advised that the restaurant is operating on Eastern Standard Time.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Bentwood Tavern - Best Restaurants in New Buffalo ›
Bentwood Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (95)scenic view (76)fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (45)special occasion (37)great for lunch (35)hot spot (32)good for groups (25)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (22)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (13)late-night find (6)Show More
- delectable food horrible serviceweekendfood24Dined on 10/18/2014Got seated quickly, hostess was friendly. Waitress came and took our drink order, disappeared for 10 min came back with our drinks, ordered food didn't see our waitress again until after dinners were delivered by another server to do a food quality check. We were never offered drink refills the whole time waited 20 minutes after we were done with dinner for the dessert menu or to see our waitress again and finally gave up on dessert and after dinner drinks/refills.Finally waitress returned we got our check after she took a 5 top tables order who had been waiting a good 15 minutes to order and left to get dessert somewhere else. While the service was terrible the food was spot on. We'll try again but won't stay if given the same waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Loved this place. The menu was outstanding and the food we ordered was excellent. A perfect place for groups, occasions and just for the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelings over 2nd visitpmmorDined on 10/5/2014Our first dining experience here was excellent, so we returned to celebrate a birthday. Having reserved a table and noting the birthday celebration, no mention was made of the occasion until a member of our party brought it up. After that we did receive a complimentary dessert, which was excellent. The charcuterie and cheese plate appetizer was good, but only came with 4 little pieces of bread. The power miso bowl had sweet potato, edamame, and quinoa in it, among other things. We were expecting a bowl full of all the ingredients mixed together. Instead, it was served on a plate with each item by itself. It was more like an appetizer and definitely not worth the $18 that it cost. A great place, but could be more consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with Special FriendsBHPartistDined on 10/3/2014I had been to Bentwood several years ago for lunch & have been wanting to try it for dinner. There were six of us and although our table was right near the cooking area (noisey) we did not complain because originally our reservation was for 4 and they were able to accommodate us on a busy Friday night. Everyone totally enjoyed their meals! I had the Chilean Sea Bass that was outstanding. Two others had steak and they both said it was they best they've ever had. The soups and salads were great, as was the desserts. 3 in our party had the Pumpkin Brulee and my friend was ready to lick the bowl too! This was our last dinner before heading back to Arizona and we are glad that Bentwood was our "last supper" there in Michigan.Special Features:
- Great experience on the HarborrluekensDined on 9/26/2014Traveling back to Valparaiso from an apple picking trip to Bridgman, MI, we had to stop at the Bentwood Tavern which is part of the condo buildings around the New Buffalo, MI harbor. We had a booth for two near the window overlooking the outside dining and the harbor on a beautiful, fall evening. We started by splitting the beets and apple salad which was out of this world but a little pricey. I opted for the Bentwood Wood Fired Pizza, which was unique with good flavors. My wife enjoyed her fish dinner as well. The meal was complimented by fine wine and extensive beer lists. We loved our night out at the Bentwood Tavern.Special Features:
- Beautiful Place But....JustMeDined on 9/20/2014I really loved this place but was not thrilled to be sitting next to a table of children while their parents sat apart from them and not one of them was over 5 years old! Surprised the restauratn allowed this, many customers were annoyed with that and their crying baby. Despite that all of our food and service was terrific.Special Features:
- Great!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Had a wonderful time with friends. Their first time there, they loved the view, ambiance, food, drinks!! Our waitress was so, so great!!Special Features:
- One entreePlanterDined on 9/14/2014Well, we were excited to go to dinner here as my sister highly recommended it. Our waitress brought us only one entrée. She thought that was all we wanted?!? So, my husband waited while they prepared the second one. It was not correct as there was no avocado on it and there was on his which was the same order as mine and described in the menu. His dinner cooled while mine was being prepared. Mine used cold chicken as it would be quicker. Not so good. Then the credit card machine was "down" and we paid in cash. What a pain. Never again.
- a gem!cal50Dined on 9/12/2014great food and location right on the harbor. fish, pizza, meat, comfort food, and farm to table produce. service is terrific.Special Features:
- several other area choices.kphillDined on 9/7/2014We went and error happy. Bad service. Food cold. Won't be back.Special Features:
- A great grazing experienceStJoeManDined on 9/7/2014This was an early afternoon birthday dinner. We had never been to this restaurant before and did not know that the full menu was not available until after 5pm. But we made the best of it and split many starters and a GREAT bottle of wine. We simply grazed ... there was no pressure and great service. We were right on the water we fully enjoyed ourselves. Perhaps this would not be for everyone but it was perfect for the two of us!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Great food and service but extremely noisy. The acoustics are terrible which make it difficult to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningGildaDined on 9/3/2014Had dinner on the patio. The food was wonderful, the service was great and had a nice dinner with co-workers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmandaKDined on 9/2/2014the hubs and I went here for our anniversary. we were pleasantly surprised! the restaurant is small but the food was great as well as the location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulroroDined on 8/31/2014We have been eating here for 6 years. It is a must stop every time we are in New Buffalo. We have never had a bad meal. The food is very imaginative, and the specials are surprising and delicious. Most recently the tomato-watermelon-burrata salad was delicious and a wonderful inspiration for home cooking. It is always a fun atmosphere with beautiful outdoor seating, and energetic and lively indoor seating. The wait staff is professional and expeditious. This is clearly the best restaurant in the area, with Brewster's a close second.Special Features:
- Would come againaudreyChicagoDined on 8/28/2014Great place! But I was a little disappointed due to the fact that I chose this restaurant because I really wanted to eat out on the lake, so I made a reservation. But unfortunately the reservation doesn't get you a spot outside. Otherwise the food and drinks were amazing, one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionFriendsBdayDinnerDined on 8/25/2014We came to dinner to celebrate a friends birthday and we had a wonderful meal. The waitstaff was wonderful - Elisha Beam - The food was delicious as always. I try to bring any out of town guests to Bentwood for their food and great view of the Marina and Harbor. They can try new exciting meals and have a Sangria and relax. Great place as always - never dissapointed.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerLaurenDined on 8/24/2014The food and atmosphere were great. The place was packed for a Sunday night. Views were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StarvinmarvinDined on 8/16/2014Manager made up for hostess blunder. The manager was incredibly resourceful and responsive to a complaint we had with the hostess' mistake about our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AldenteDined on 8/16/2014The food and drinks were excellent, the bartenders and wait staff exceptional, best in beach area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine, but won't returnjh46530Dined on 8/16/2014Parking is challenging. Our reservation was for 7:30 but we got there 15 minutes early. To their credit, they seated us right away. The food was good. I had the tuna tartar appetizer and it was very tasty. Also the ruby red trout, again very good. Our server was pleasant, but forgot to order a second glass of wine for me. Took some time to get someone's attention, and the wine was delivered. Wanted to order dessert, but it took too long for the server to get back to take our order, so we just skipped dessert. The atmosphere is very loud and energetic. A good place to take children, but too bustling for a couples' Saturday evening dinner out. I doubt we will return, as there other places in the area that are more to our liking.Special Features:
- FamilydineDined on 8/16/2014A group of friends went to Bentwood Tavern during a Bachelorette trip. It was a very relaxing place to have brunch with a group. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Short staff and chillyKsr5111VIPDined on 8/15/2014Our server was great when she was around but unfortunately the resturant was short staffed and she was too busy working too many tables. The resturant temperature was way to cold. We opted to eat on the patio (even though the outside temp was only 65) just to get out of the blowing air conditioners.Special Features:
- Did not disappointsunshinegirlDined on 8/10/2014We visit the Brentwood tavern whenever we visit harbor country in michigan and always are pleased. The food is prepared with care and the staff friendly and attentive. Be sure to make a reservation as it always is crowded during mealtimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveColdwaterDined on 8/10/2014Eating lunch on the patio at Bentwood was a very pleasant experience. The skillet dish I ordered was dry and overcooked but everything else was very nice.Special Features:
- A great meal in SW MichiganMattVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was impressed with the diversity of options on the menu. You can have a moderately priced or expensive meal, based on your mood or wallet. The wine list is carefully edited and easy to choose from. I had the flatiron steak, which was expertly cooked. If you can get a seat outside next to the boats on a nice day, that is a particular bonus.Special Features:
- Disappointing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014a frequent visitor to this restaurant, i was disappointed by the overall experience. i called ahead to see if we could put our name on the wait list for a party of 5. i was told yes. then when i called back closer to the dinner hour, i was told i could not call ahead. when we showed up to the restaurant, we were told we could more quickly be sat at a booth with a chair hanging off the end for the 5th person. outdoor seating was available but there are no heaters on the patio and it was a cool night. the service was good, but three of our meals were disappointing.Special Features:
- Excellent.MommaGDined on 8/6/2014Can't wait to return- our food and service was excellent- the brick chicken was delightful. And the marina views- very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IndianaIndianaDined on 8/3/2014I love to come to Bentwood each summer and to sit outside and enjoy the boats in the harbor. Love the food. The only recommendation I would make would be to make the menu a little more extensive at lunch time.Special Features:
- great dinnerbucktownchiVIPDined on 8/2/2014The menu has great offerings and the food is well prepared. My pasta dish was delicious and cooked perfectly al dente. I have been here several times now and each time my meal has been great.Special Features:
- Great food!PriscillaDined on 8/1/2014The food here is ALWAYS stellar. Service is top notch. Weekends get crowded and busy during tourist months, which makes it quite noisey and reservations are a must weeks in advance. Great off season though. Good craft beers on tap, great cocktail and wine lists. Tuna tar tar is a must try and I had the sea bass last night for the first time... To die for! Love the place, the space! My Absolute favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful marina viewsKariHDined on 7/31/2014Enjoyed lunch on the patio of Bentwod Tavern for at least the 4 or 5th time. Love Bob's Fish Tacos, very flavorable. One of our guests had the grilled cheese that everyone was dying to try - delicious. This is a wonderful restaurant off the beaten path of New Buffalo, MI -= a must go to if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hotel and restaurantVegheaddinerDined on 7/26/2014We got married at the Marina Grand and decided to go back for our anniversary dinner at Brentwood. The food is always amazing. Our server was ok, just seemed rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014Way over priced. Best bet is appetizers on the deck.Special Features:
- Great food with a nautical view!etray2Dined on 7/25/2014Bentwood Tavern is located in the Marina Grand Resort, next to the New Buffalo Yacht Club, on a picturesque marina. It is very nice to sit on their outdoor patio. We started out our meal with their pretzel bites with aged cheddar dip, which had the right amount of sea salt on the house-made soft pretzel, and the dip was tasty, with fresh chives and a mayo base. I had the rum punch cocktail, which had fresh juice and was generously spiked with rum:yum! My husband had the grilled chicken sandwich, I had the fish tacos, and our teen kids had burgers and pizza. Pizza is one of their specialties, with a big brick oven and lots of fresh toppings. The fish tacos were fresh tasting, with crunchy slaw and lots of other tasting toppings.Special Features:
- Peter13009Dined on 7/24/2014Good food and right on Lake Michigan Harbor. Great weekend brunch. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bingoVIPDined on 7/24/2014Usually 5 star for me, every time. Just seemed to have an off night.Special Features:
- older anniversarykirkyDined on 7/23/2014was romantic without the dark lights. wonderful food and serviceSpecial Features:
- BentwoodWhateverworksDined on 7/21/2014Wonderful place/very upscale. Being so upscale you would think it would be quiter but laughter, talking, and merriment rang wall to wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnleeloveatingDined on 7/19/2014Their policy for outdoor seating leaves much to be desired, it would be good to be upfront about it, there were empty tables, yet they said we could not have them, there was an hour wait. We did have reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.