76 Orange Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
Southeast AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bentara.com/
- Phone: 2035622511
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Hasni Ghazali
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A private room is available Sunday through Thursday for 10 to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Feldman 2035622511
A word from Bentara Restaurant
Bentara Restaurant was first open in Connecticut in the town of North Haven in April of 1995. In May 1997, the operation was moved to our present location in the historic district of Ninth Square. Bentara Restaurant offers a blend of all different ethnicity & influences from Indian & Chinese cultures as well as Dutch, Portuguese & English to produce a unique mixture of dishes in the Malaysian dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bentara Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Diminished, but Still Worth a VisitFrequentDynerVIPDined on 6/18/2014I'd not been to Bentara in a while and was looking forward to my recent visit. The food was still still very good, though not quite as remarkable as I'd recalled and the atmosphere felt a bit tired. Definitely still worth a visit.Special Features:
- The following 390 reviews are from the Bentara Restaurant reviews archive.
- Love this place!BryanJBVIPDined on 5/30/2014The curry mussels are excellent and the Filet Bentara is a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Haven FavouriteFaintgirlDined on 5/19/2014Consistently one of the best places to eat in New Haven. Their starters are exceptional and their entrees are pretty good too - though huge portion sizes (with the exception of some of the fish dishes). New Haven is a town that loves to over charge and over complicate their food, but Bentara always feels like good food and good value for money.
- PerlDined on 5/17/2014We were there on the Saturday night of Yale graduation and they were slammed, every table full. They handled it perfectly letting us know our food would take a bit longer and giving us updates. When the food arrived it was vibrant and clearly made on the spot. Everything was tasty and unique. I love this place and even when stretched to its limits it performed very, very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlippingMerlotManDined on 5/11/2014I have eaten at Bentara a couple of times over the last year. It has been wonderful at times, friendly staff and memorable food. The problem now is that all the dishes are not so wonderful and you have to be careful what you order. The beef dish I ordered did not look or taste very good. However the fish dish that was ordered at our table was remarkable.
- TiredMsPieVIPDined on 5/10/2014We used to really enjoy Bentara. It is in need of a facelift and major cleaning up. It feels grubby and tired. We hope they get up to speed as we would like to see them enjoy continued success.
- fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/2/2014Second time at Bentara and it was great. Very busy and the neighborhood was vibrant. Their menu is very interesting with many unique dishes. Hard to choose but no one in our party either was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTucsoneaterVIPDined on 4/25/2014We found this place by mistake... Only because we ended having to park across the street for a meeting early in the day. It looked interesting and the manager was delightful when we came in and talked to her about a dinner reservation for that evening. The place is great! We had a party of 10, with limited time. They never made it feel rushed, and actually came to apologize it was taking longer than expected. Everything we ordered was amazing! Food, service, everything about the place was good. Wine list is not great, but ok. Some good finds at reasonable prices. A new favorite when we visit New Haven!Special Features:
- not authentic Malaysian foodAlanDined on 4/25/2014I have been to KL and other parts of Malaysia many times and Bentara's food is not authentic. It's really modified for American tastes. It's also shocking to see the guests eating with chopsticks, not the way it's done in Malaysia. And it's definitely not at good as it was 5-9 years ago, when I first went there.
- Quiet lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/22/2014Great lunch experience. Unusual and delicious food. Private, intimate feel in a convenient location. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice change of paceRWayneDined on 4/19/2014We've been to Bentara several times and keep coming back because of the unique and delicious cuisine. We love the curry and noodle dishes and always find the taste of Malaysian cuisine to be interesting, different and very enjoyable. The satays and spring rolls were great starts to the meal and the grilled banana and chocolate souffle provided fantastic finishes to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three out of four ain't badFoodwoodDined on 4/17/2014Our two appetizers, mussels and roti were spectacular. The nasi goreng with chicken and vermicelli noodles was also delicious. Another dish with shrimp and veggies was seriously under seasoned. The wines by the glass Pinot noir and Malbec less than stellar, the Malbec is particular was a bit cough syrupy. Overall though the food is interesting and different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went to Bentara with a friendAnne03Dined on 4/9/2014I went to Bentara with a friend for Restaurant Week. We had the spring rolls and crepes as our starters, the shrimp and pineapple dish as our main, and tiramisu for dessert. The food was excellent and the waitress absolutely charming. I'd definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2014Been to Bentara a few times and the food has always been very good. The service at this most recent trip was excellent. Great menu too. The only less favorable point is that the place needs a bit of sprucing up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive average night outpckl11Dined on 3/29/2014We had a nice meal, although nothing was spectacular in taste. The food was more expensive than I would have anticipated based on my experience. Overall, we will not return. There was nothing that won my family over with this dining experience.
- Service DisasterDisservedDined on 2/14/2014We arrived at reservation time of 8:45 pm. The restaurant was in disarray. Napkins on the floor. A manager running (actually running) from the kitchen to the bar. After standing at the hostess’ station for 15 minutes, we asked if we could sit in the bar area while we waited for our table. We sat on a couch in the bar area in view of the hostess. Twenty minutes passed before we noticed the hostess seating a couple who had just walked in. We asked why they had been seated before us. She admitted that she’d forgotten about us. After having been seated a few minutes later, we sat at the table for 20-30 minutes before staff approached us for our dinner order.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodBengDined on 2/14/2014The food here was outstanding - and probably what keeps patrons coming back for seconds (and thirds!). The service left something to be desired. We had a good waiter, but despite having a reservation, we were asked to wait 20 minutes. During this time, I tried to get a drink at the bar. The bartender blatantly ignored us. When flat out asked if we could get a drink while we waited for our table, the bartender stated, "No." This was just bizarre - isn't the point of the bar to serve patrons as they wait? The service was just a little off...Special Features:
- We went on Valentine's daydaisy0527Dined on 2/14/2014We went on Valentine's day so it was very busy and the service was slow, but they had a live classical trio playing which created a romantic ambience for evening. The food was, as usual, delicious and made just as we had ordered (I like my food on the mild side, but my boyfriend likes a little spice). Will definitely be back here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DisappointmentSnowmomVIPDined on 2/14/2014Bentara for Valentine's Day; we like the place as the food doesn't disappoint and there's plenty of options. We expected a crowd and inherent delays, but: Our waitress didn't hide her stress; no pleasantries. She didn't listen when we ordered, she didi't write it down and she made us repeat it all. She never brought my husband's wine. We shared tasty vegetable spring rolls. After a wait, our dinners arrived only mine wasn't what I ordered. I had to ask another waiter to track her down to explain the mix-up. When I told her the problem, she insisted I did order that. FInally, she said she'd place my 'rea'l order and the mistaken meal would not be billed to us. Finally, I ate about ½ hr after my husband finished. It was yummy.Special Features:
- Slow serviceDesigirlDined on 2/14/2014Overall the food was decent but overpriced. Some things lacked salt, and the food took forever to come out. It took them 20 minutes to bring us knives.Special Features:
- Good for valentine's DayDoriDined on 2/14/2014Bentara was our last-minute pick for Valentine's Day. We'd both eaten there before and knew the restaurant was at least acceptable, and with a $29.99 per-person prix fixe, we went for it. The food and service was exceptional, and Bentara was quite a hidden romantic gem for a special occasion. The only thing that wasn't perfect was the slow speed of the kitchen. Having worked in many restaurants, I could easily tell that the restaurant was over-sat between 5:30 and 6:30 pm and the kitchen just simply couldn't take the influx of orders, even with a prix fixe. However, great service, food and ambiance made up for it, and I'd definitely recommend Bentara for just about any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with family!RobnLisaDined on 2/14/2014As always--great! We come several times a year. It's my wife's favorite. On Valentine's Day we ended up with the kiddos in tow and headed down to New Haven. What a nice surprise for an old favorite. There was a 4 piece quartet playing. The atmosphere was really nice. Great experience dining with all my ladies! We also had 2 allergies at the table. They were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining room was very coldArleneVIPDined on 2/7/2014Dining room was very cold and drafty - parking a problem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but slippingHappyEaterDined on 1/31/2014We go there weekly (not every week). We truly love the food, and the service is always good. Although noticed the high-quality of food has slipped in the past months. Hoping that this does not continue. Still our favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveMarjonDined on 12/31/2013We were very disappointed with our experience at Bentara ! The service was horrible - waited 20 minutes after being seated for a waiter to to even take a drink order ! The kitchen messed up our order and the the rice we were looking forward to we could not eat ! Very disappointing experience !!!
- New Years DinnerBryanJBVIPDined on 12/31/2013This place never disappoints. You must try the Filet Mignon Bentara it is superb. It was a little busy for the holiday, but everything went well and dinner was delicious.Special Features:
- Try to eat there weekly!HappyEaterDined on 12/27/2013I try to eat there once a week, and if I miss a week, I am so sad. I LOVE LOVE LOVE their food. They are awesome people who've been around for a while. Go there, eat eat eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ooppssOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/19/2013I went back to Bentara with my wife for a rare and special night out, having had a superb meal there during the LAMP festival...we were disappointed. The first time I ate there I had ordered entirely from the appetizers menu and was not disappointed. This time we ordered some appetizers and they were disappointing, even the stuffed tofu, which had been excellent previously, and the mussels, which were rather bland. We split an order of some stringy green vegetable with beef and the beef was uninspired, the seasoning was bland and the stringy green vegetable was stringy and green, but not in a good way. I'm just glad I didn't take my whole family there. The tira misou was excellent.
- DeliciousBeepboopDined on 12/6/2013A great new haven find. Food is remarkably good. I'll be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Slow!RUSHDined on 11/22/2013I brought a customer to this restaurant with some great references for the food. The food was good, but it took us over an hour to get served our meals from the time we sat down, and ended up requiring my customer to modify an afternoon meeting as a result. The restaurant was not even full! Not sure what dinner service is like, but will not return for lunch any time soon.
- Another Delicious DinnerSnowmomVIPDined on 11/15/2013Bentara provides reliable food and service and while appealing to the vegetarians and meat eaters among us.. The restaurant was brighter and seemed to have opened up since I had been last and this is a good and much appreciated move. We enjoyed the very flavorfull Special Soup, which is maybe a menu favorite for me, and the Seven Spice Soup which has less tang but still tasty and full of noodles. There were additional soups as well as a meat/noodle dish whose names escape me, but were also enjoyed . Bentara delivers on all fronts for our eclectic group.Special Features:
- Tasty and good service but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2013The food was quite tasty but looked rather tired; the bok choy in the special dish of bar-b-q salmon were soggy and limp. The little piece of salmon was delicious. The menu itself needs a thorough cleaning! Service was quick and efficient and the server's rec of the Calif draft beer was excellent.
- A shot but pleasant visit.twodoxDined on 11/9/2013We were unable to give Bentara a fair review on this, our first visit. We were delayed and arrived late, and had to hurry to make our theater time. The staff was very friendly and our service was very prompt. We ordered the all-in-one dishes and were pleasantly surprised. Each was seasoned as we wanted - my wife's mild and mine medium. There were plenty of shrimp in mine, and lots of all three meats in my wife's combo. We got out in plenty of time to make the play. We will definitely be back to explore the menu more fully.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dinning, AsianIdocDined on 11/9/2013Bentara in Malaysian which is a cross between Chinese and Indian. If you like either style you should really enjoy Bentara. The food is superb, the atmosphere is upscale and the service very professional all of which is atypical for any southeast asian style restaurant. Their filet minion is among the best I've ever had. If you live in the New Haven area Bentara is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodyumfoodDined on 11/9/2013Visited this restaurant three times over the past year and a half. The food has been consistently good. Love the soups - big portions packed with flavor; and despite the size of the portions, you don't leave feeling over-stuffed. Definitely recommend giving this restaurant a try if you haven't already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 Hour DinnerDawggVIPDined on 11/3/2013Food Was great, even the server was friendly, but had a 530 reservation and took 1.5 hours to see food on the table, ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's been around for 16 yearsTartanjugDined on 10/16/2013It's been around for 16 years and there is a good reason! Fabulous Malaysian food!Special Features:
- Lost its wayRobertHDined on 9/9/2013Bentara used to be a wonderful restaurant but the food has been disappointing lately. And on this occasion, the service was poor and the wine cellar unable to provide our first two choices. Roti Chennai was wonderful, as usual but the satay was dry. My salmon was properly cooked but sauce was flavorless, which is quite a change from how it used to be.Special Features:
- A Vibrant PlacesmsimoDined on 9/8/2013This was our second visit to Bentara's. The food is quite good, and we love the look of the restaurant. It does get quite loud in there, so if you want to be able to talk, and hear your companion, try to go early. A table of 12 was seated just shortly after we arrived, and unfortunately we could hear everything they were saying, despite sitting the length of the restaurant away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing. RestaurantphantomfoodieDined on 9/6/2013Disappointing. Restaurant came highly recommended. Food and service were average at best.