5300 Sidney Simon's Blvd #14
Columbus, GA 31904Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benschophouse.net/
- Phone: 7062560466
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday thru Thursday: 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Dinner Friday thru Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Bar stays open later.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call 706-256-0466 for details.
- Entertainment: Live music Wednesday thru Saturday
- Special Events: Birthday, Business Events, Meetings and Special Occasions
A word from Ben's Chophouse
Welcome to Ben’s Chophouse, Columbus’ favorite for the best hand-cut steaks and freshest seafood around. We hope you enjoy your visit with us whether for a great time with friends and family or an upscale business dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ben's Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Columbus ›
Ben's Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (5)fit for foodies (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Exceptional Food - Great ServiceDeweyDined on 9/9/2014As always, Ben's Chophouse does not disappoint. A must for entertaining out-of-town guests, or as a date-night standard! Membership in their "Frequent Diner" club membership is an added plus.Special Features:
- horribleq8k8Dined on 9/6/2014Way over priced and poor quality, for the food served to my wife and I, my wife order mignon medallions with "lump" crab and Bernaise sauce the lump crab was flakes of crab in metal container of mostly mushrooms, the Bernaise was a thick as tub butter and tasteless , it was accompanied by wilted lettuce that appeared to have been boiled and lacked any seasoning and was tasteless. My Rib - eye was medium I ordered med - rare, the loaded baked potatoes was dry overcooked. I had expected a fine dining evening did not happen.
- Great Dinning ExperiencefoodieDined on 8/29/2014Excellent special occasion restaurant! Excellent food, you cannot go wrong with whatever you decide to have...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best SteaksLindafDined on 8/15/2014The food at Ben's Chophouse is cooked to perfection, and the steaks are top grade. You get your money's worth with the proportions as well. We love to go for lunch and at night for special occassions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth food ever!!!FoodloverDined on 8/8/2014The food took more about 97 minutes to get ready, and yet when the server brought it to the table the steaks were not cook properly. The lobster was burned. Bottom line is that the quality of the food is awful and distasteful for the prices this restaurant charge. The only good thing was the server, Cristal; she worked extremely hard to make everything right. Food was so bad that the manager took care of the bill without questions. I will not recommend to anybody to eat there.
- Never DisappointeddandeDined on 8/2/2014Ben's is a great neighborhood restaurant and bar that is always a pleasure to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE DINNERBOZEDined on 7/11/2014Only complaint tables are very small. If you have 4 it will be tight fit. Steaks were good but not great. Bit expensive. Friday evening there was no crowd. Looked like most were having burgers. Compares favorably to Buckheads, which was a real disappointment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingenjoygoodmealsDined on 7/5/2014Ordered the $50 steak. A bit pricey but I was in the mood for a steak and a lot of it. Asked for it medium rare. Came out medium well. I pointed this out and was told that they would take the steak off the hot plate so it would not continue to cook. Huh??? It was so dry and chewy and need I say small. All the juice being cooked out of it there were only few bites left in it. Couldn't eat it. Manager also mentioned that this was the last steak of this cut. This was at 7 pm. One of my side dishes never came out until I asked about it at the end of our meal. The manager who seeing I didn't or couldn't eat the steak offered me a 50% discount on my entrée. I just paid $25 for a steak that I couldn't eat. First and last time trying this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Great place for good wine and music. CEM Is 3 is an excellent jazz trio and look forward to listening to them again. Ambiance very good. Only downfall was food was mediocre. Will come back again though for entertainment.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceEieshaVIPDined on 6/5/2014Would indeed come again! Great service and really great food. I especially enjoyed the steak! The menu was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 109 reviews are from the Ben's Chophouse reviews archive.
- Always a Good Experience16pawsDined on 5/29/2014Although we've only dined at Ben's once each year for my Mother's birthday, we have not been disappointed. Food great! Service Excellence! ask for Kevin's section in the dining area. We recently moved back to Columbus. We look forward to experiencing Ben's other events like wine tastings in the bar .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation CelebrationKey2014Dined on 5/12/2014I graduated from college and decided to try Ben's Chophouse, what an excellent choice! The waitress, Lindsey was amazing! We arrived right before closing time because of graduation crowds/traffic; however, the staff opened us with open arms! EVERYONE in my party bragged about how great the dishes were and excellent prices on drinks as well! Excellent!Special Features:
- disappointingGidgette53Dined on 5/11/2014I had heard such great things about Ben's Chophouse but could not seem to find the time to go. I finally had the time and available friend to go with and the food was terrible. I don't miind spending a lot if the food is especially tasty: both our steaks were filled with grizzle and way more fat than one normally find at high end restaurants. The diet soda was flat, my friend's asparagus was limp and tasteless. My potatoes was great and the green beans were just ok. We were both very disappointed and will not go back.
- OverratedbrokerDined on 5/10/2014Thought that for the price paid everything could have been better. It took over 10 minutes for a server to come to our table. The hostess who seated us offered to take our drink orders but then informed us that she could not take wine orders. We had to ask for bread from our server who when asked if bread came with our meal informed us that it was by request. We informed her that she never mentioned that to us when she took our orders. Food was okay but the mashed potatoes that I ordered were not originally brought out with my meal and once i found our server to inform her of this she bought out some potatoes that were lukewarm. Paid over $80 for two persons so expected so much more.
- "The Salads"OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Our experience was okay. I had the gumbo and my husband had the bourbon steak both of which came with a salad and a side. I ordered a "salad" w dressing on side and my husband ordered a "Caesar". Unbelievably when we got our bill we Haida $2.00 up charge EACH for our salads. Our waitress attempted to explain it was based on the "salad" we ordered. Huh?? What?? Not complaining over $4.00 but because we told her it was our 1st time, would have thought she would have explained or offered to remove it. Would I come back again?? Umm not so sure now.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2014visited Ben's Chophouse to celebrate my son's commisioning as 2LT. Serever, Kevin was awesome. checked on Gluten free for my wife and I, answered all our questions, checked on us the right amount and even graced us with a free dessert. They had a bunch of specials, the fillet with crab meat was incredible...cooked perfectly. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and feel free toask them to prepare it 'your way'. Seemed very accomodating.Special Features:
- Food good, service not up to parDeeDeeDined on 4/5/2014Our food was good but not as good as it has been in the past. My Mahi Mahi was dry whereas the last time I had it it was very moist. The waitress started out good but as the night went on, she got slower and slower with requests. It took us a long time to get our check and to have it picked back up. We eventually had to ask another server to take it. It did not appear she had too many other tables. The restaurant was not that crowded. The Brussel Sprouts CANNOT be beat. They are the best menu item!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO DISAPPOINTING!FoodLovahDined on 3/29/2014Our foursome had steak, porkchops, beef tips and a chicken dish. The beef tips were very good; the chicken and pork chops were good but not remarkable. The ribeye steak was mediocre. As a chophouse, we expected more. It was prepared and served as requested (medium). Unfortunately, the flavor was average and the texture chewy. The sautéed spinach was very good and the grilled asparagus was exceptional. The uniquely-flavored cakes and desserts were tasty, so that's a high point, and they have a good selection of wines. Their bar specials are priced well, but only available in the bar area. We would NOT return for dinner, but might for a glass of wine and the lamb chop appetizers. They're expensive ($14) but very, very good.Special Features:
- Family NightAnnivcoupleDined on 3/28/2014We went here for the steak that was referred to us by others. My husband and I both enjoyed our steaks which were cooked to our specifications. They had lots of options for the kids too which was nice because my son is a picky eater. Overall, I would say that it was a good steak but not the best I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary dinnerChristineDined on 3/12/2014The food was amazing and well priced. It was between this place or Epic for our anniversary dinner and I picked Bens because it had a delicious looking menu and was still affordable. It was definitely worth every penny! The service was fantastic! And the wine on special was delicious! It's a fancy but well priced restaurant. One of Columbus' best restaurants hands down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find in Columbus, GADaveDined on 3/10/2014I visited this Ben's earl in the evening...6pm...and there was very little bat action but the bar appeared to have a nice ambience and would probably get busy a little later in the evening. The dining room be "dressed up" a bit to make it a little more enticing. However, the food was very good and the service was truly outstanding. I travel and eat out a lot, so I fairly critical when rating restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceFemaleDined on 3/7/2014We had a great time. Great atmosphere, service, food and drink. Employees were cordial and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks with good service.BigChetDined on 3/7/2014Great Steaks with good service. We have been here many times and highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014My mom recently celebrated a milestone birthday and we had 12 for dinner. The menu, staff and service were all perfect for this celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find with presentationMaxatAUDined on 2/28/2014After taking in a recent show at the Rivercenter, we had to plan ahead for a late dinner. Following online recommendations, we decided to try Ben's Chophouse. Quite happy we did. The bone-n ribeye was served exactly as ordered, and still cooking on a cast-iron platter. My wife's dinner salad (I don't know which one she ordered) was reported to be fresh, nicely seasoned and flavorful. The boy's order of tenderloin medallions was perfect. Our server was quick, friendly and attentive. Serving time was prompt, considering the items ordered, no undue delays.Special Features:
- It was a Birthday Dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014It was a Birthday Dinner, made a note of this on reservation and told server, nothing was acknowleged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Steak LoverAnight2rememberDined on 2/22/2014The steak that we recieved was burned. Well done steak should be eatable. We had to return the steak two times before giving up. We were told that they have no control on how well done is served. Minus the small portion the steak was returned.
- My overall experience at thevikmanDined on 2/15/2014My overall experience at the Ben's Chop House was very good. A couple recommendations I would suggest would be bigger portions of food, and maybe put tinting on the resturant's glass to cut down on vehicle headlight glaring. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere and ServiceRLotson2Dined on 2/14/2014The food was great and the service was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DaypappyDined on 2/14/2014Despite mixed reviews we decided to give the restaurant a try. My wife's steak had to be re-cooked two times. They apparently thinks medium is raw. The manager was very helpful and explained to us, that what everyone else in Georgia thinks is medium is actually well done. Our waitress was friendly but couldn't tell us is the steak was dry aged. I did like that the entrees came with one side and a salad. It was ok but not at the level of other top steak houses. The manager was very nice and worked hard to get the food right. The waitress was friendly.
- The Ribeye Steak was amazingRbryan0604Dined on 2/5/2014The Ribeye Steak was amazing and wonderful Hamburger's. Glad we stopped on the way thru.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in ColumbusBigChetDined on 1/30/2014We have lived in East Alabama for less than 2 months and have tried a number of local steakhouses. We have been to Ben's a few times and have always been satisfied. Our steaks were great cuts of meat and cooked just right. There is as extensive list of wines by the glass. It was just a very satisfying night out and was much better than a much more expensive meal at Meritage. We plan to be regular's at Ben'sSpecial Features:
- The food was great, as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014The food was great, as always! The restaurant was busy and very noisy. We were unable to have a conversation due to the very loud group next to us. I've found that booth seating is a little quieter.Special Features:
- We were overnight in ColumbusOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/14/2014We were overnight in Columbus and Open Table directed us to Ben's Chop House. From the time we walked in until we departed, it was an outstanding evening. Michael, our host provided a very warm welcome and handled our seating request exactly as we wished. Travis, our server was warm, friendly and extremely knowledgable regarding the menu items. Everyone displayed a genuine sense of appreciation that we were there as their guests. My wife described her steak as one of the best she had ever enjoyed. I chose the chefs seafood special selection that evening and it was simply outstanding. Bens had a great wine and spirit selection which enhanced our meal as well. Overall, a great experience and I will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group Meetingkevin324Dined on 1/10/2014Excellent service. I arrived and was greeted pleasantly. The service was great. My group was in the dining area but you could still hear the live music in the background from the bar area which was nice. The food was excellent. I didn't hear a single complaint from any of my group. The bar service was exceptional as well. The restaurant has a large selections of wine to choose from as well as daily drink specials. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPbramdogVIPDined on 1/9/2014After a long dayof traveling, Ben's was a perfect place to have a great rib eye and a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchBethDined on 12/23/2013We had our company lunch and it was not at all what I expected. First the waitress spilled the flower vase all over the table then finally came and took our order. It took over an hour to get our food which in most case it was philly cheesesteak so there is no way it should have taken that long,. Just was not at all what I expected from this restaurant. Not good at all.
- Can't Go Wrong @ Ben's ChophouseDiningoccasionsDined on 11/11/2013We had a group dinner at Ben's Chophouse and was very pleased with our experience. Overall, the food was good, the ambiance just right and the wait staff were very attentive and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for my dates birthday,workingdownsouthDined on 11/2/2013Went for my dates birthday, wanted something upscale and local. Dissappointed that they did not have the ingredients for a mojito, so we had iced tea instead. Still cannot figure out the paper covering the nice tablecloth, seemed like something one would find at a crabhouse or something. Other than mixing up the side dishes each of us had, the food was very good and the staff very attentitive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time, the foodhadagreattimeDined on 10/26/2013We had a great time, the food was delicious and the waiter was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.