Benoit Restaurant and Bar
60 West 55th Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Benoit Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://benoitny.com/
- Phone: 6469437373
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:45 am - 3:30 pm
Monday - Sunday: 5:30 - 11 pm
Sunday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Bertineau
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Pâtisserie-à-Porter
Our Pâtisserie-à-Porter program invites guests to order French tarts and pâtisseries handmade by Benoit's pastry chef.
We have a selection of classic desserts available year-round, as well as a selection of seasonal tarts and cakes that use the best available produce.
Each dessert is exquisitely made to serve 6 to 8 people - from $30.
Call 646.943.7373 to order.
- Entertainment: Connect with Benoit Bistro on Facebook
A word from Benoit Restaurant and Bar
Benoit New York is the third member of Alain Ducasse’s Benoit family – which also includes the bistro in Paris since 1912, Benoit Tokyo and Le Comptoir de Benoit in Osaka. Benoit New York echoes the original bistro in Paris and represents an opportunity for Chef Ducasse to recreate a unique bistro experience within a dynamic urban environment while still preserving the tradition of Benoit Paris. The restaurant & bar offer a menu of classic French bistro cuisine at lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Benoit Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)romantic (92)special occasion (85)great for lunch (79)neighborhood gem (76)notable wine list (65)good for groups (42)great for brunch (40)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- GeorgeKGeorgeKDined on 9/21/2014I rate it good because we had very good experience before. They have raised the prices. We went for Lunch on Sunday and on the website, it was stated that they have Price fixed Menu. When we arrived for the Lunch, found that they were serving only Brunch and no price fixed menu. Salads were average, especially Lobster Salad had very few pieces of Lobster in it. On the other had, Beef Tartare and Escargot were excellent. Very good Chocolate Mousse. Overall, I would have rated it only average this time, but for ambience and good service, I rate it Good.Special Features:
- If I can't be in ParisxoxorafVIPDined on 9/20/2014If I can't be in Paris for poulet roti and tarte tatin this is a great replacement.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealKittyKatDined on 9/17/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Benoit's is truly like eating in a great brasserie in Paris or Lyon both some of our favorite places to dine. Many of the items on the menu are truly classics and were exceedingly well prepared and served. The service was attentive without being invasive and the atmosphere was delightful. The whole experience was great and we will return when again in NYC.Special Features:
- Consistent ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/14/2014It took a little while for Benoit to find its footing, but for the last few years under the toque and tutelage of Chef Philippe, it's been firing on all cylinders as a seriously solid choice for classic bistro fare. It would be difficult to find more gracious hosts than managers Lameen and Antoine; and the efficient, mostly French staff offer friendly but unobtrusive service. Not to be missed: the salty, garlicky roast chicken for two; a heavenly calf's liver (so difficult to find in NYC, and even more difficult to find executed properly); and an excellent brunch menu featuring a fat, juicy burger which gives "21" a Gallic run for its money, plus its legendary "dessert bar," featuring some of the best French pastries this side of Paris.Special Features:
- Delightful food, attentive serviceJmw245VIPDined on 9/13/2014The look of it is one with a bit of nolstagic touch, but the service kept pace with the by-gone era's attentiveness, both our waiting staff and MD were extraordinarily courteous, and professional. My husband said the tart flambee was one that he found closest in resemblence to the authentic Alsacian style (who is to debate with him as he lived in Alsace for some time), and my leek appetizer was refreshing and the confluence of tastes well constructed. For main, I rather enjoyed my skate wing, with squash shaved as thin as proud Italian pasta, and he liked his artisanal shrimp pasta dish dearly. Fantastic experience, complete with "madam, a little something to take away".Special Features:
- AtelierStephanieDined on 9/9/2014One of my all time favs in NYC, but found the service had suffered on this last visit. Their quenelles are still amazing.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014I had the fish with the brown butter sauce that had dried tomatoes, a little bit of cheese, capers and croutons, my husband had the hanger steak, which was cooked to perfection and both dishes was delicious. The baba desert was amazing. I thought it was a bit pricey but worth it. Good for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much better a second nightScottDined on 9/4/2014With 2 friends , one male, I returned to Benoit for a much nicer evening doubtless because I spoke to one of the several people who were overseeing the dining room about the very poor experience I had had the night before. And I ordered steak tartar which is fixed very well here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do try this restaurantDennisVIPDined on 9/4/2014Excellent service. Great food presented perfectly. A fine dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Just like Benoit in ParisJohnKDined on 9/3/2014We loved Benoit in Paris. We were excited to find the sister restaurant in New York. The New York restaurant has the same ambiance. We were in town for the US Open. We understand that Tsonga (one of the top players from France) had dinner at Benoit every night that he was in town. He wanted a "home" experience and found it here. We'd strongly recommend Benoit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as last timeScottDined on 9/3/2014With a female friend we had poor service, an ordinary meal and it took forever to get the bill althougth the restaurant was not full. I had the feeling it as because we were 2 women and only ordered each one drink.Special Features:
- One of the better N Y C RestaurantsBusterDined on 8/31/2014The experience was excellent. Food was very fine, service was impeccable and they even let us in before opening time to get out of the heat. Overall good experience.Special Features:
- Benoit RestaurantfeinVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had terrific experience! Everybody went out of their way to accommodate! Food was great, service was outstanding! This is the way one wants to dine out! Thank you guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall French Bistro ExplucaspDined on 8/29/2014The service is what this restaurant excels. The food could use more flavor.
- Great foodWaltVIPDined on 8/26/2014We loved the food and the atmosphere was very good. Our only concern was that as soon as we were finishing one course, they were rushing to pick up our plates. After one course, they picked up my plate even before my last bite had made it to my mouth. It definitely put a damper on the meal. And it was mid-afternoon, not a busy time for them! However we would go back, because they serve the best hanger steak EVER, and we'll hope for a different level of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceplaceDined on 8/25/2014The meal was disappointing - maybe on a Monday in August the chef was on holiday - but bread was stale; quenelle not as well made on previous visits; and dessert tarte while tasty was served unadorned and unattractive.
- gmy0018Dined on 8/23/2014Food and service were very good. Lighting level outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French foodLaureDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed our experience at Benoit very much. This restaurant offers traditional French food, but of much higher quality than many French restaurants in town. Their Comté cheese soufflé is a must! Same with the tomato/fresh cheese terrine. We sat at one of the small tables outside to enjoy a Summer evening, but we will undoubtedly come back to also enjoy the beautiful inside decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is really the French BistroendlessliftDined on 8/21/2014After arrived in NYC I have tried to book a table at several grand maisons but not possible. This place was quite easy to book. Food we have ordered were really bistro like and so as the atmosphere and the how the tables are placed. The appetizer of 3kinds for the table was amuse bouche like volume but all the other plates, the volume were also bistro like, which means quite big. You can not find Bistronomy like twist and presentation but more authentic dishes. Wine list did not have many pages but very attractive for wine lovers. We have started off with the glass of Blanquette de Limoux and the bottle I have picked was Henri Jayer Vosne-Romanee '90 which was in excellent condition.Special Features:
- love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/21/2014perfect French Bistro food - nothing fancy just amazing!
- Attention au servicechristocinoVIPDined on 8/20/2014A lovely room that evokes a Parisian bistro. The food similarly matches that have a good quality bistro in France. But for the lackluster service, I would have thought I was in Paris: oysters, foie de beau served table side with perfectly executed potatoes and a damn good tarte. The waiters and the maître were similarly dressed in the uniforms of a fancy brasserie. If only they had been more attentive to their surroundings. The maître in particular had little interest in watching over his guests and did his best to avoid eye contact with most of the guests. Wine glasses and water glasses went unfilled and waiters showed little interest in most of the guests.
- Put Benoit on your must try listQueensTomVIPDined on 8/20/2014Simple, elegant, friendly, outstanding food & wine. Stopped here for a pre-dinner meal. A delightful surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mancybunnyDined on 8/20/2014We have an amazing lunch experience and friends from Seattle are both driven by the authentic French good and decor, they both give their thumbs up !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2014I generally only use Benoit for lunches. It is always great. Additionally, I always splurge on their Creme Caramel which I think is the best in NYC.Special Features:
- InconsistentnumerodosDined on 8/16/2014Benoit was one of my favorite with superb service and relatively decent food. But last Saturday I was more than dissatisfied with it. The service was extremely slow - despite our reservations at 5:30 we almost missed our 7:30 show ( at 7 PM we had to ask our waiter to hurry up with the main course ). As for food quality, it feels like it was not up to my standards, especially the Hanger steak. While I ordered it medium, it came medium rare, but the quality and the taste was even worth. I wish the waiter would tell us the cost of the rib eye steak which was $48 - an outrageous price considering it was poor quality and preparation.
- Simply fabulous!NewYorkerDined on 8/16/2014Everything about this restaurant is simply fabulous - the food is sublime, the service is excellent without being obtrusive, the setting is reminiscent of a Parisian bistro, and, luckily, you can even have a conversation with your partners - there is no obnoxious music making people scream to be heard! It, certainly, is not a cheap place, but worth every penny!Special Features:
- AlonavolDined on 8/15/2014The food is good, but portions are pretty small and I had better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City Center NeighborbrunhildeVIPDined on 8/15/2014When going to theater at City Center Benoit is a restaurant you should try. The atmosphere is very Bistro like with interesting elements around the room. The tables are well spaced and the noise level allowed for conversation sans shouting. We sat at the rear and had fun looking at the large service piece and the intriguing dessert wagon. The menu is large with many choices for the non-meat eaters in our party. The service was efficient but not rushed and everyone was quite pleasant. My guests who had never been there will definitely return, as will I.Special Features:
- Classic French Brasserie in MidtownmagsDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant reminds me of Stella in the 16th arrindismoint (bad French speller) in Paris. Classic brasserie menu: oysters, escargots, salmon fume, lobster salads in summer, steak frites a bit of game options (duck was very nice), and your classic French desserts: baba a rhum, etc. Service was excellent. Great place to bring well-behaved kids, appropriate for a quick dinner before the theater, and perfect place for a special date night--in short a very versatile restaurant. The starter gougeres were excellent. This is a fine option for the diner who wants efficient French service and reliable food. Benoit restaurant hits the mark as a traditional French brasserie with all its vibrant vibes .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Perfect for a pre-performance dinner before events a Carnegie Hall and NY City Center. This time my wife had the Restaurant Week menu and I had oysters and quenelles de brochet with Nantua sauce. The restaurant week menu was a perfect reflection of their usual menu (we've eaten at Benoit many times) and the quenelles, ethereally light with a scrumptious sauce , were as good as I've ever had. Fine deserts and wine added to the great experience. The service, attentive but discrete, was of the highest quality. This is real French food, true to the tradition of this great cuisine.
- Elegant fine service good food.paulhDined on 8/13/2014We found it to be quite elegant, a bit noisy, but very good service and food.Special Features:
- FrenchNeetsieDined on 8/13/2014It's wonderful dining in a real French restaurant, not just a make-believe with french names to the food. The service was impeccable and the food delicious. The servings were just right, not too much and not too little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice Midtown French BistroJoddilly1Dined on 8/8/2014Pls stop by this French Bistro so as to recuperate from shopping midtown either for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- BenoithappyluncherDined on 8/7/2014My friend had the mussels which she said were superb. I had soft shell crabs which were tasty but I would have liked to have a third crab! My friend had white wine which was moderately priced at $7.00/per glass and which she said was very good. The service was excellent and staff friendly. Shall go again.Special Features:
- Great Dining in Mid-townkazmVIPDined on 8/7/2014I'm not sure why I had never been to this delightful mid-town west restaurant. Great menu, lovely service, lively without being so noisy that you can't think. The site of the old Cote Basque, but now made modern and up to date. Lovely lunch.Special Features:
- hard2pleasehard2pleaseDined on 8/6/2014Food was absolutely yummy! What I can't understand is how it takes so long to put out a meal...
- Tasty2treatDined on 8/5/2014First time at Benoit. Very happy with food, ambience and service. Thought the choice for the Restaurant Week prix fixe entrees odd - 2 selections of fish and one of duck - none of which I was very drawn too. But I had the duck and it was delicious. But what took the cake was the Chocolate Mousse Cake. I want one right now!Special Features:
- livetoeat7Dined on 8/3/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Benoit Restaurant, from the extensive wine list to very attentive staff everything was top notch. We had appetizers then took advantage of the restaurant week special menu and were delighted! The three course dinner for $38 was a great value. My husband had the escargot and I had a salad with slices of rabbit. Both were incredible! For the entrees we selected mussels and haddock. The bowl of mussels was huge and delicious! The poached haddock was beautifully presented and likewise delicious with the nice bottle of wine we enjoyed with our meal. We had French pastries from the cart along with some excellent homemade ice cream. I would highly recommend Benoit to everyone and look forward to going back there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely brunch with friendsauntgidgetVIPDined on 8/3/2014We (4 women) thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The bistro is very welcoming starting from the pleasant hostess. Appetizers are excellent ! A surpirise birthday cake was a delight and surely was a great customer experience! Service is very good!Special Features: