Benny's Chop House
444 N. Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Benny's Chop House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bennyschophouse.com/
- Phone: 3126262444x
- Hours of Operation:
7 days a week: 11:30 am - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Lane
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Benny's Chop House
From a well-known, well -respected Chicago restaurateur Benny Siddu (Volare) comesContinued
Benny’s Chop House, a uniquely new, uniquely-Chicago modern day chophouse.
Benny’s features the highest quality steaks, fish, seafood and chops.
Benny’s Chop House, a uniquely new, uniquely-Chicago modern day chophouse.
Benny’s features the highest quality steaks, fish, seafood and chops.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Benny's Chop House - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Benny's Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
250 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (186)notable wine list (143)romantic (114)fit for foodies (87)good for groups (67)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (22)great for lunch (16)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Price/valueLukeVIPDined on 9/28/2014Benny's is ok in most respects. For the price,it falls short. The steaks are not seared in a high enough temp to sear the outside,the sides are fairly standard.for the money,Benny's comes in pretty far down the list for steakhouses in Chicago(below mastros,David Burke ,Chicago chop house). So why go? For the same $ a much better executed meal can be had elsewhere. Also,there is no earthly reason not to offer corkage. Again,other better steakhouses offer corkage for reasonable charge (25,00-30.00) for collectors. Skip Benny's and dig out your special bottle and enjoy one of Chicago's really great steak emporiums.
- Excellentbrucer500Dined on 9/26/2014Our dinner was excellent. Probably the best NY Strip I have ever had. Not inexpensive, but worth a special occasion. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the cuts and different ways their steaks can be cooked. It was a great experience. I highly recommend Benny's.Special Features:
- Benny's was awesomeMtdewittDined on 9/26/2014Was great in all aspects. Friendly and prompt ggreeting upon arrival. Great wait staff. Our server Nicholas was very attentive and knowledgeable without going overboard. Menu is fantastic with many choices. Steaks were perfect. Nice atmosphere of the classic man's steakhouse. First visit and definitely glad we did. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rigsby6OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Food was outstanding, which is most important criteria. Veal Chop was the best that my Dad's had in 84 years of picky-eating. My filet was amazing, too. Other highlights - wedge salad and grilled asparagus; cleanliness of everything; service from busboys; & extensive children's menu. Negatives: Main one was the service. Deborah was attentive at first - until 2 children (under age 10) arrived in our party. At that point, Deborah "checked out." She was not attentive or helpful, almost to the point of rudeness. For such high quality food and high prices, I expect impeccable service. She acted bothered by our table because we had 2 children (well-behaved). I would return to Benny's because of the food. I would ask for a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Team DinnerChuckD105VIPDined on 9/26/20147 Members of our Business Team went out for a blow-out celebration. The food is great, the service extraordinary and the wine list brilliant.Special Features:
- great eveningBuffaloMikeVIPDined on 9/24/2014every aspect of our experience at Benny's was just terrific. From the friendly bar staff to the waiters and most importantly the food. Could not have been a better experience.Special Features:
- ImpressedNemesis79Dined on 9/24/2014I've visited most steak houses in the top 10 for Chicago and I can honestly say Benny's was the best steak and the best service we've experienced. We went for a birthday and they really made it feel like a special occasion. Lots of nice little perks you won't get at other places.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Excellent choice of steak cuts with decent fish selection for non-carnivores. The special salad with fresh anchovies was a good starter. We split the dry aged porterhouse, with sautéed spinach, hash browns and a baked potato with all the fixings (chives, bacon, cheese sour cream and butter) Parts of the steak were a bit chewy, but the flavor did not disappoint. We finished with a sweet banana cream pie. Wine list is deep and expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMcoupleVIPDined on 9/22/2014Very Good Steak house - not into the over the top presentation of giving you a small meat cleaver to cut the steak. Service was great our server was unassuming pointed out items and treated us as if wee were the biggest spenders in the house. Only complaint - limited wine by glass selection. Overall if we get back to Chicago we will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Everything I was hoping for!c2coolerDined on 9/21/2014Great food, great wine selection, impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy Party at next tablequietDined on 9/20/2014When we arrived we were seated just down from a table with nine men. They had been drinking and were shouting at one another and were obnoxious. The person at the head of the table was cupping his hands to his mouth like a megaphone to shout at the people at the other end, right towards us. We asked to be moved, and were. Many thanks! After that the evening was excellent. Our server was competent and friendly, the food and wine were outstanding, and the decor were superb. What to do with a noisy group already seated? I don't have a good answer, but it was on its way to spoiling the evening until we were moved, and from the looks on the other diner's faces near their table it was bothering others as well. The evening ended nicely.Special Features:
- HoosierDined on 9/20/2014Attentive and professional servers, beautiful restaurant and food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Standards Slipping...ShanghaiGourmetVIPDined on 9/19/2014Very disappointing visit last Friday to this place where I have enjoyed numerous good meals. We decided to eat at the bar given the good vibe and pleasant music. However the bar was too thinly staffed to cope and service suffered. Our initial wine order took three follow up requests and around 25mins to arrive. More seriously, then the seafood appetizers arrived which were not fresh - prawns and oysters, and so were returned. At this point we requested the bill and left for another place where we were well treated. The GM was highly apologetic and comped the food & wine but saving money was not our objective. A restaurant of this caliber cannot afford these kinds of problems - esp when serving raw seafood.Special Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I selected this restaurant from Chicago magazines top 20 steakhouses. It lived up to the hype. The food was great and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TorontocoupleDined on 9/19/2014Outstanding food. Service was the best we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InsultedMunchman40Dined on 9/17/2014After reviewing the wine list and opting not to get a bottle, my wife ordered a glass of Chardonnay. The server asked American or French? My wife replied French. The server said that's $19 per glass. Both wife and I were insulted by the implication that we could not afford such a fine wine (She had two glasses, incidentally). When we expressed our dissatisfaction with the appetizer, we were told that the dish was naturally greasy. We left of it in the serving platter. And it would have been nice if the server informed us that the side dishes, served in separate dishes, were more than enough for two. We ordered three sides and ended up leaving half of those because we were staying in hotel and could not take leftovers with us.Special Features:
- Excellent experience on all countsmsbillowVIPDined on 9/16/2014Last week my boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary at Benny's. Every aspect of the experience was stellar. We're steakhouse/steak enthusiasts who recently moved to Chicago. This was our first time at Benny's and we will definitely return. We had the filet and feel that it might be the best we've ever had. We also had the ceviche and seafood salad, both of which were outstanding and certainly better than expected for a steakhouse. The wine list was notable and offered 3 oz pours of finer wines. For dessert, I recommend the carrot cake. It's delicious. Finally, the ambience is very elegant without being stodgy. Perfect setting for a romantic dinner, especially if you're seated in a booth.Special Features:
- YUM!!!redolXamDined on 9/13/2014Best steak in Chicago! We had great service and a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delivered what we expectedSoapmanicDined on 9/13/2014We were in Chicago and picked a night to have steak at one of the many great steak houses. Benny's was high on one of the review sites we read and it was convenient for us based on where we were staying. As expected, it was VERY expensive, the service was good and so was the food. We were happy to be in the bar area - despite being on Saturday night, the bar was much quieter than the dining room. Our only complaint was that for spending nearly $300, the candles on the table could have been real instead of battery powered.Special Features:
- Excellent SteakhouseRossDined on 9/13/2014The steaks (Filet Mignon and New York Strip) were cooked perfectly and had amazing flavor. After many attempts, I have finally found my Chicago steakhouse.Special Features:
- The best of a classic steakhouseOHProfDined on 9/13/2014Normally, we select multi-course meals or unusual dining experiences for special occasions. This time, we decided to try a classic Chicago steakhouse for our anniversary dinner. After a little searching, we chose Benny's for its consistently high ratings. We were not disappointed. The food was delicious, the service exquisite, and the wine list spectacular. Highly recommended. The portions were generous. Do not miss the macaroni and cheese with their house-cured bacon -- it was the best I'd ever eaten. The bone marrow butter on the steaks added rich umami flavor and tenderness.Special Features:
- OutstandingbblumbergDined on 9/11/2014I ate alone on a Thursday evening (5:30) just before the rush. I had the salmon tartare which was delicious - salmon layered on top of avocado surrounded by a thin slice of cucumber and topped with a thin slice of tomato and 4 different types of fish roe on top. For my main, I had the 16 oz dry aged rib eye, medium rare. It was cooked and seasoned to perfection. I am somewhat of an aficionado of rib eyes since I was a butcher in my youth and prefer this steak above all others. The waiter (Paul) recommended a Bordeaux blend to go with the steak and he was correct - a perfect match. While not inexpensive, Benny's is a truly outstanding steakhouse. If you love a great steak, don't miss it when visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- Amazing Find.nikkivDined on 9/10/2014I was visiting Chicago from Los Angeles and decided to try Benny's Chop House after seeing some of the reviews online. This place was amazing and far exceeded my expectations. First off, the food is amazing. Steaks are of the highest quality and the sides are great as well. We were even given a complimentary side of lobster risotto. Also, this place has a wine list that is as big as a novel. It was hard choosing a wine but the staff was very helpful and helped us choose the perfect wine to compliment our steaks. The staff is amazing. If you are ever looking for a great steak place I would definitely recommend going to Benny's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendSDToolmanDined on 9/9/2014Benny's was recommended by a driver and I can't thank that driver enough. The service, the atmosphere and the food, were all outstanding. When compared to the many other steakhouses in the area, the pricing is very reasonable. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingcamkingVIPDined on 9/6/2014From the moment I arrived, I was welcomed and looked after by my primary server, Tom M, and his colleagues. The chicken terrine was served with several accompaniments separately, and my 7oz filet was perfectly cooked and combined well with the bacon enhancement and red wine demi-glace. I'm glad I booked in advance - essential in the evening, as the place was packed. There was a good vibe - with lots of people enjoying lots of good food. Service was excellent throughout. An expensive dinner, but totally worth it. This restaurant is now on my shortlist of Chicago restaurants to visit when I'm next in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best mealNewFoodieDined on 9/6/2014What an amazing meal. The service was impeccable, our waiter asked a few questions and he knew exactly what we would like. The food was perfect. I know it is a steak house but definitely try the pork chop. The bacon should not be missed.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceCorderoDined on 8/31/2014This was definitely a bright spot on my trip to Chicago. We both enjoyed the food and wine very much. It was also very quiet and romantic ambiance for late night dinner experience. Highly recommended if you're in the area.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it!WillGoBackDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary here on a Sunday evening, and were highly impressed. Our waiter, Nick, was professional in every way. His knowledge of the menu and wine list, his demeanor and his eagerness to help all were first rate. My wife and I both had filets -- one the "natural" selection and the other the Wagyu. The Wagyu wasn't so much better to justify the price difference, but both were excellent. There's an ample seafood selection as well. We had an after-dinner drink and dessert in the bar. Nick helped reserve a table by the window. Here, too, the waiter (don't recall her name) was outstanding. I appreciated them offering a "natural" beef options.Special Features:
- Special mealKarenMichiganDined on 8/31/2014We knew our dinner at Benny's would be pricey and are happy to say that we left feeling it was worth it. We enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant. The server was knowledgeable and helpful in guiding us in our menu selections. The pace of the meal was perfect - not rushed nor too slow. The food was full of flavor and very enjoyable. We will definitely make Benny's a stop on a future visit to Chicago.Special Features:
- Finally a mocktail!birthdaybabyDined on 8/30/2014If you are pregnant and still looking to have an elegant dinner out to celebrate a birthday, I highly recommend Benny's! The food was delicious, cooked perfectly, and they made excellent mocktails. I am so tired of lemonade and sprite, too much sugar. Benny's had fruit-based mocktails that still looked fun and celebratory. For dessert they brought out a huge plate of all things chocolate, the best!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014appetizers and sides were great. steak was 'ok' given the price.Special Features:
- First TimermememeVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was our first experience at Benny's. While the food was good, it was not exceptional. However, the wine list was very impressive and we enjoyed the recommended bottle. The main course was delivered much too soon and the mashed potatoes tasted as if they were from a box. The waitstaff was exceptionally attentive.Special Features:
- Food was Fabulous!KKAKAlbertaDined on 8/23/2014We had a great experience. The waiter was very helpful and made us feel welcome. He helped us to select a decent wine in our price range. The food was incredible. Very tastey. We would highly recommend this restaurant. We enjoyed a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceStu528VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was great, Service was excellent, drinks were stiff, ambiance was inviting! We found the restaurant via OpenTable after being turned away at a similar, local restaurant and were happy we chose Benny's!Special Features:
- Service is outstandingpnt225VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is terrific. The oysters on this past Saturday night may have been the best that we have ever had. Our server, Deborah was out of this world great and we will be asking to sit in her section regularly.Special Features:
- Great steaks!dc4916Dined on 8/23/2014Working through the steakhouses. Benny's was the best so far that I have been to. The bone in ribeye was excellent, with complex flavors from the dry aging. Overall, an excellent experience. I liked it more than Gibson's, and a lot more than Gene and Georgette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceChitowndinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had an amazing dinner celebrating a birthday on Saturday night. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and did not rush us through our meal at all. The atmosphere was fun, but also intimate. They also have a piano player to really set the mood. The food was fantastic. We split a Porterhouse and it was probably the best we have had in the city. The sides and salads were also perfect. Benny's Chop House definitely flies on the radar, but it is one of the best steakhouses in the city. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Superior MealTheFoodGuyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I ate here for her birthday. Had some excellent wine (their wine list is one of the best I've ever seen), ceviche and the "bacon" for apps, she had the Filet, I had the dry aged bone in NY Strip, great sides, and lovely desserts. Both steaks were the correct temperature, and our server was very good, but she got a bit overwhelmed toward the end and lost her timing with us. Overall we loved it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing!lvgdfoodDined on 8/22/2014We had, quite possibly. The best steak of our lives at Benny's. It was a fabulous experience. Absolutely delicious. The next night, we went to Volare. It was even better, the service impeccable. When I spoke to the owner on the way out to tell him what a fine establishment he has, I was absolutely blow away when he suggested we try Benny's Chop House as well. It was Benny himself. So, we were able to praise him on both of his restaurants. I would definitely go back to either place when I'm back in Chicago, as well as refer them to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCelebrationDiningDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I went to Benny's to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. It was amazing! Great food (tomato mozzarella appetizer, white asperigus, grouper, and surf & turf) are a must have! Our waitress was very knowledgable and friendly. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.