Benny's Chop House
444 N. Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Benny's Chop House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bennyschophouse.com/
- Phone: 3126262444x
- Hours of Operation:
7 days a week: 11:30 am - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Lane
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Benny's Chop House
From a well-known, well -respected Chicago restaurateur Benny Siddu (Volare) comesContinued
Benny’s Chop House, a uniquely new, uniquely-Chicago modern day chophouse.
Benny’s features the highest quality steaks, fish, seafood and chops.
Benny’s Chop House, a uniquely new, uniquely-Chicago modern day chophouse.
Benny’s features the highest quality steaks, fish, seafood and chops.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Benny's Chop House - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Benny's Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (182)notable wine list (139)romantic (117)fit for foodies (79)good for groups (62)neighborhood gem (31)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (18)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- YUM!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Best steak in Chicago! We had great service and a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of a classic steakhouseOHProfDined on 9/13/2014Normally, we select multi-course meals or unusual dining experiences for special occasions. This time, we decided to try a classic Chicago steakhouse for our anniversary dinner. After a little searching, we chose Benny's for its consistently high ratings. We were not disappointed. The food was delicious, the service exquisite, and the wine list spectacular. Highly recommended. The portions were generous. Do not miss the macaroni and cheese with their house-cured bacon -- it was the best I'd ever eaten. The bone marrow butter on the steaks added rich umami flavor and tenderness.Special Features:
- OutstandingbblumbergDined on 9/11/2014I ate alone on a Thursday evening (5:30) just before the rush. I had the salmon tartare which was delicious - salmon layered on top of avocado surrounded by a thin slice of cucumber and topped with a thin slice of tomato and 4 different types of fish roe on top. For my main, I had the 16 oz dry aged rib eye, medium rare. It was cooked and seasoned to perfection. I am somewhat of an aficionado of rib eyes since I was a butcher in my youth and prefer this steak above all others. The waiter (Paul) recommended a Bordeaux blend to go with the steak and he was correct - a perfect match. While not inexpensive, Benny's is a truly outstanding steakhouse. If you love a great steak, don't miss it when visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- Amazing Find.nikkivDined on 9/10/2014I was visiting Chicago from Los Angeles and decided to try Benny's Chop House after seeing some of the reviews online. This place was amazing and far exceeded my expectations. First off, the food is amazing. Steaks are of the highest quality and the sides are great as well. We were even given a complimentary side of lobster risotto. Also, this place has a wine list that is as big as a novel. It was hard choosing a wine but the staff was very helpful and helped us choose the perfect wine to compliment our steaks. The staff is amazing. If you are ever looking for a great steak place I would definitely recommend going to Benny's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendSDToolmanDined on 9/9/2014Benny's was recommended by a driver and I can't thank that driver enough. The service, the atmosphere and the food, were all outstanding. When compared to the many other steakhouses in the area, the pricing is very reasonable. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingcamkingVIPDined on 9/6/2014From the moment I arrived, I was welcomed and looked after by my primary server, Tom M, and his colleagues. The chicken terrine was served with several accompaniments separately, and my 7oz filet was perfectly cooked and combined well with the bacon enhancement and red wine demi-glace. I'm glad I booked in advance - essential in the evening, as the place was packed. There was a good vibe - with lots of people enjoying lots of good food. Service was excellent throughout. An expensive dinner, but totally worth it. This restaurant is now on my shortlist of Chicago restaurants to visit when I'm next in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best mealNewFoodieDined on 9/6/2014What an amazing meal. The service was impeccable, our waiter asked a few questions and he knew exactly what we would like. The food was perfect. I know it is a steak house but definitely try the pork chop. The bacon should not be missed.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceCorderoDined on 8/31/2014This was definitely a bright spot on my trip to Chicago. We both enjoyed the food and wine very much. It was also very quiet and romantic ambiance for late night dinner experience. Highly recommended if you're in the area.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it!WillGoBackDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary here on a Sunday evening, and were highly impressed. Our waiter, Nick, was professional in every way. His knowledge of the menu and wine list, his demeanor and his eagerness to help all were first rate. My wife and I both had filets -- one the "natural" selection and the other the Wagyu. The Wagyu wasn't so much better to justify the price difference, but both were excellent. There's an ample seafood selection as well. We had an after-dinner drink and dessert in the bar. Nick helped reserve a table by the window. Here, too, the waiter (don't recall her name) was outstanding. I appreciated them offering a "natural" beef options.Special Features:
- Special mealKarenMichiganDined on 8/31/2014We knew our dinner at Benny's would be pricey and are happy to say that we left feeling it was worth it. We enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant. The server was knowledgeable and helpful in guiding us in our menu selections. The pace of the meal was perfect - not rushed nor too slow. The food was full of flavor and very enjoyable. We will definitely make Benny's a stop on a future visit to Chicago.Special Features:
- Finally a mocktail!birthdaybabyDined on 8/30/2014If you are pregnant and still looking to have an elegant dinner out to celebrate a birthday, I highly recommend Benny's! The food was delicious, cooked perfectly, and they made excellent mocktails. I am so tired of lemonade and sprite, too much sugar. Benny's had fruit-based mocktails that still looked fun and celebratory. For dessert they brought out a huge plate of all things chocolate, the best!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014appetizers and sides were great. steak was 'ok' given the price.Special Features:
- First TimermememeVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was our first experience at Benny's. While the food was good, it was not exceptional. However, the wine list was very impressive and we enjoyed the recommended bottle. The main course was delivered much too soon and the mashed potatoes tasted as if they were from a box. The waitstaff was exceptionally attentive.Special Features:
- Food was Fabulous!KKAKAlbertaDined on 8/23/2014We had a great experience. The waiter was very helpful and made us feel welcome. He helped us to select a decent wine in our price range. The food was incredible. Very tastey. We would highly recommend this restaurant. We enjoyed a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceStu528VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was great, Service was excellent, drinks were stiff, ambiance was inviting! We found the restaurant via OpenTable after being turned away at a similar, local restaurant and were happy we chose Benny's!Special Features:
- Service is outstandingpnt225VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is terrific. The oysters on this past Saturday night may have been the best that we have ever had. Our server, Deborah was out of this world great and we will be asking to sit in her section regularly.Special Features:
- Great steaks!dc4916Dined on 8/23/2014Working through the steakhouses. Benny's was the best so far that I have been to. The bone in ribeye was excellent, with complex flavors from the dry aging. Overall, an excellent experience. I liked it more than Gibson's, and a lot more than Gene and Georgette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceChitowndinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had an amazing dinner celebrating a birthday on Saturday night. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and did not rush us through our meal at all. The atmosphere was fun, but also intimate. They also have a piano player to really set the mood. The food was fantastic. We split a Porterhouse and it was probably the best we have had in the city. The sides and salads were also perfect. Benny's Chop House definitely flies on the radar, but it is one of the best steakhouses in the city. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Superior MealTheFoodGuyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I ate here for her birthday. Had some excellent wine (their wine list is one of the best I've ever seen), ceviche and the "bacon" for apps, she had the Filet, I had the dry aged bone in NY Strip, great sides, and lovely desserts. Both steaks were the correct temperature, and our server was very good, but she got a bit overwhelmed toward the end and lost her timing with us. Overall we loved it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing!lvgdfoodDined on 8/22/2014We had, quite possibly. The best steak of our lives at Benny's. It was a fabulous experience. Absolutely delicious. The next night, we went to Volare. It was even better, the service impeccable. When I spoke to the owner on the way out to tell him what a fine establishment he has, I was absolutely blow away when he suggested we try Benny's Chop House as well. It was Benny himself. So, we were able to praise him on both of his restaurants. I would definitely go back to either place when I'm back in Chicago, as well as refer them to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCelebrationDiningDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I went to Benny's to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. It was amazing! Great food (tomato mozzarella appetizer, white asperigus, grouper, and surf & turf) are a must have! Our waitress was very knowledgable and friendly. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakJimCDined on 8/21/2014If you are looking for steak, and you don't mind the price, this is the place to go!
- AmazingNevetsDined on 8/20/2014Great food. The wine list is the most extensive I've ever seen. The service leaves nothing to desire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodJonathanDined on 8/17/2014Good food for the price I was very impressed with the service and staff was very quick and friendly. The ambience was nice and quiet but it was a little dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special OccasionAnneVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner celebrating our anniversary. The food and drinks were both wonderful and the service made us feel very special. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a great dinner!Special Features:
- Very Good Steak, but way overpricedTophersGluttonyDined on 8/16/2014The meat was very good, but not excellent. Service was decent, but several key mistakes were made, most notably with drinks. They couldn't make a good martini (way salty), it took three tries and 15 mins to make an Americano, by then dessert was done. Their wine list, while impressive, is so far out of bounds markup-wise that we didn't even order any because it was such a blatant rip off. As a group of 8 foodies used to dining all over Chicago, we expected a lot of Benny's. They didn't delivery the goods on the little things that matter though. We were also absolutely blown away by how ridiculously overpriced it was. Needless to say, we all left pretty bitter. You'll get a much better experience at Mastro's, Burke's, heck, even Gibson's.Special Features:
- Fabulous in all AspectsWendyDined on 8/15/2014I made reservations for the lounge area where the jazz player was situated and the noise level was great. We had the best filet ever ... literally would melt in your mouth.... so tender. Great views of the city. Would love to go back again. Extensive wine list.Special Features:
- Do Not Miss This Steakhouse4777aggiDined on 8/15/2014Tried to get into Joe's and at 5:00 Friday for my anniversary, but could not get in, so I went to Benny's one block away and experienced one of the most professional staffs and one of the best dining experiences in my life. Went back to Joe's Saturday and their service is second to Benny's! Do not miss this great steakhouse and their pampering service! I dine at top steakhouses around the country with clients and Benny's became my new number one on 8/15/14.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRalphabetDined on 8/13/2014The food was exceptional and the service was outstanding. We arrived about 45 minutes earlier than our reservation, but were seated within 5 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine Dining Experience!MikeDined on 8/13/2014Dined at Benny's as part of a corporate outing. Reservation was acknowledged on arrival and we were escorted to the bar to await our table. Our primary waiter, Paul, was very personable and created an outstanding experience. Appetizers including the bacon, calamari and cerviche were very well done. The steaks were properly prepared to the correct temperature and were of prime quality. Side dishes that were sampled included the macaroni and cheese with bacon, asparagus with hollandaise, crisp kale, creamed corn with truffles and mushrooms. After the meal we enjoyed several of the desserts including the chocolate pudding cake with toffee ice cream. Overall, I would rate Benny's as an excellent choice for the atmosphere, service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25-cent Oyster Night Wednesdays!BububearzDined on 8/13/2014Had reservations for the main dining room, but the 25-cent Oyster Night Special is offered in the bar only. We ended up staying in the bar the entire time, and were able to order dinner, too. My wife had the $74.99 T-bone and I had a rib-eye. My wife made the mistake of ordering hers medium well - it came back well done. My medium rare was more like a medium, too. Something to consider if you're ordering steaks, especially at these prices! Otherwise, the service was great as was the ambiance in the bar area. Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like royalty!edufoodableDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I dined at Benny's for our 10 year anniversary and were treated like royalty. Excellent service, great food, knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- my experiencetbearDined on 8/9/2014This is 2nd time I have been here and it was excellent from all aspects. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak in ChicagoSeafoodRochesterDined on 8/9/2014We had a great server and great steaks at Benny's in Chicago this weekend!Special Features:
- Great, but pricey.ObietwoDined on 8/7/2014Benny's Chop House has excellent service and great food. The waiter was very knowledgable about the menu and options. While everything is delicious, the price is twice other steak houses of the same quality. So, if money is not an issue, go for it. If you're on a budget, this could bust it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful respiteShelleyDined on 8/7/2014My husband and i had the great fortune of eating at Benny's for our 37th anniversary. We went for lunch and we were the only ones there but that did not stop the serving staff from being attentive and professional. Our menus had "Happy 37th Anniversary" written across the top. Our waiter recommended the dry-aged bone in rib eye as the most flavorful steak and he was right. The steak was tender, juicy and ful of flavor. We also had onion rings and they were not greasy at all, but tasted great. For dessert I had carrot cake, the largest piece of cake I have every seen and in fact I ended up taking three quarters of it home. My husband had a delightful creme brulee. We would gladly return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/6/2014I would have given 5 stars for service but there was one hiccup. When I booked the reservation, I requested a booth. Upon seating, we were presented to a table. When I pointed this out to the host who was seating us, he seemed quite annoyed. The food was very good, but the prices were so high that it interfered with the pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightBillandDebDined on 8/2/2014Other than some overly noisey, overly wined up patrons at a table near by, it was perfect in all ways. Staff was awesome and well versed in helping us navigate the wine list for a great find, in our price range, and pallet preference, meal was perfectly prepared, had appetizer, salad, main event dry aged ribeye, with lobster roissoto, with sides, and dessert...nothing missed. True medium rare. Never felt rushed, extremely attentive staff. Only challenge beyond patron noise, was a trickly drive find. I would recommend calling ahead for directions if you are not famillar with the areaSpecial Features:
- NiceDaveWDined on 8/2/2014Went here on saturday for my gfs birthday, the food and atmosphere was great. Sat in the bar later and they had a great piano player to set the mood. Would definitely come back, and this place could hang with any steak house in chicago.Special Features:
- Bene, Benny'sDoubleHelixDined on 8/2/2014I come to Chicago several times each year for the last decade and each time, every concierge at the Trump and now at the Langham has recommended Benny's. Not sure why I never went. This time I did and brought my mum. We think they deserve all their reputation as their steaks are perfectly prepared and balanced. Wait staff were attentive and kind, but never obtrusive. Definitely would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.