Benny's Chop House
444 N. Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Benny's Chop House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bennyschophouse.com/
- Phone: 3126262444x
- Hours of Operation:
7 days a week: 11:30 am - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Lane
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Benny's Chop House
From a well-known, well -respected Chicago restaurateur Benny Siddu (Volare) comesContinued
Benny’s Chop House, a uniquely new, uniquely-Chicago modern day chophouse.
Benny’s features the highest quality steaks, fish, seafood and chops.
Benny’s Chop House, a uniquely new, uniquely-Chicago modern day chophouse.
Benny’s features the highest quality steaks, fish, seafood and chops.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Benny's Chop House - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Benny's Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (165)notable wine list (125)romantic (100)fit for foodies (80)good for groups (66)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (21)great for lunch (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Unfortunate ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014My wife chose Benny's for my birthday dinner. Got off to a nice start in the bar. Great music. Attentive bartender. Well made cocktails. But why serve martini in a coupe glass? It's a MARTINI. Use the martini glasses. Menu looked great. Looks can be deceiving. When you pay beaucoup bucks for that bone-in ribeye it should be cooked to perfection! Not cold and mealy. Sides were good, especially the crispy kale. But back to that ribeye. C'mon, this is a STEAKHOUSE. The steak should be the star. And when the manager comes over to check on the problem she should do at least two things: identify herself clearly as the manager and, do something about that cold, mealy steak! Not likely to be going back. Many better choices for a great steak.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014food and service were excellent, definitely superior to recent experiences in other well known restaurants. we felt that staff did a great job of making sure we had an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- hawk00Dined on 10/17/2014Loved the restaurant decor, food was great, Debra our server was awesome-knowlegabe, friendly, attentive. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/13/2014The location was great. Cocktails were really good. The wine list was pretty amazing really. Downsides were the steaks which were slightly over-done. I know we both had the 8oz fillets but the fact that they're small should be compensated by a commensurate reduction in cooking time to get med-rare rather than med. They were still sufficiently juicy though. Will certainly go back when in town.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Thank you Benny's for a wonderful night. The food was excellent. The service was outstanding. Erwin represented your restaurant well. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Five Stars!!VinosnbDined on 10/11/2014Nice variety of steak selections! I ordered the wagyu filet, in one word, AMAZING! Our server was wonderful and very knowledgeable. She treated us like she cared about our dining experience. Best food and customer service we received in Chicago. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pompous Serverservemewithasmile1Dined on 10/11/2014My husband and I have been to Bennys in the past, and Saturday night was the worst service ever. we are not evn sure we will go back. $300+ for two, our server did not come and check on us not did we see him but twice during the entire meal. Very disappointed with this service.
- cheflyDined on 10/10/2014very good food/excellent service. Wine was overpriced and disappointing. Sommalier was just OKSpecial Features:
- luv2dineVIPDined on 10/7/2014I had lunch today at Benny's and have always wanted to eat here. The food and service were excellent and I thought considering the area the prices were great too. I had a grouper sandwich and it was between that and a steak sandwich. Waiter as mentioned did a great job. Will return in the future with no hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great Foodmeg1313Dined on 10/6/2014We went there to celebrate a birthday. No one in our group had ever been there before and the food and the service was great! We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great steakKPchicagoVIPDined on 10/4/2014I've tried lots of steakhouses, and while Benny's is not my favorite, it was very good. The steak was (as it should be) the highlight of the meal. I am a creme brûlée fanatic, and theirs was excellent! A few missteps: the dining room was FREEZING. They kindly offered my mother and I pashminas, but we were still frozen. The maple bacon appetizer was terrible. It was charred on the outside, pure fat on the inside - and not in a good way. Lastly, their wine list was hideously overpriced. A Pinot noir that retails for $20 being sold at $120 - markup for profit to be expected, but that is robbery! Our server was polite and attentive. We were seated in the back dining room, which was mostly empty when we sat down. It was just too quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benny's is great diningkinster4653VIPDined on 10/4/2014Always a pleasure to dine at Benny's. Tonight we had drinks and small plates, delicious as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing,lisa63Dined on 10/3/2014wine not available I ordered, wagyu not impressive(try American fed not imported), oysters not represented properly, unorganized, table in high traffic area, not a high end experience for $$$
- Excellent food and staffAGM8MexDined on 10/1/2014Excellent food and staff, and very good wine list. Thank you very much for all your attentions had with my wife and me, we loved the place, the food and wine, on our next trip back to Chicago with you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Of The Chicago Steahouse ListHugeDined on 9/30/2014Excellent Service, Steaks & Food, Wine list is also excellent - Highly RecommendSpecial Features:
- Price/valueLukeVIPDined on 9/28/2014Benny's is ok in most respects. For the price,it falls short. The steaks are not seared in a high enough temp to sear the outside,the sides are fairly standard.for the money,Benny's comes in pretty far down the list for steakhouses in Chicago(below mastros,David Burke ,Chicago chop house). So why go? For the same $ a much better executed meal can be had elsewhere. Also,there is no earthly reason not to offer corkage. Again,other better steakhouses offer corkage for reasonable charge (25,00-30.00) for collectors. Skip Benny's and dig out your special bottle and enjoy one of Chicago's really great steak emporiums.
- Use to love this RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Benny's Chop House use to be my #1 favorite steakhouse in Chicago, sadly after my last visit, I doubt I will ever return. The service use to be incredibly good, but on our last visit, once we were seated, it took 1/2 hour just to get menus and order a drink. Then after 1 1/4 hours of our seating, we were finally allowed to order dinner after being ignored by our waitress. Then we waited another 45 minutes before our food came out. They apologized and said they were very busy, and served our steaks and two appetizers. The steaks were fine, but a little bland, but both of our appetizers came out severely undercooked and without any seasoning. The manager didn't seem to care about the bad service or food and was offered a free dessert.
- Excellentbrucer500Dined on 9/26/2014Our dinner was excellent. Probably the best NY Strip I have ever had. Not inexpensive, but worth a special occasion. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the cuts and different ways their steaks can be cooked. It was a great experience. I highly recommend Benny's.Special Features:
- Benny's was awesomeMtdewittDined on 9/26/2014Was great in all aspects. Friendly and prompt ggreeting upon arrival. Great wait staff. Our server Nicholas was very attentive and knowledgeable without going overboard. Menu is fantastic with many choices. Steaks were perfect. Nice atmosphere of the classic man's steakhouse. First visit and definitely glad we did. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rigsby6Rigsby6Dined on 9/26/2014Food was outstanding, which is most important criteria. Veal Chop was the best that my Dad's had in 84 years of picky-eating. My filet was amazing, too. Other highlights - wedge salad and grilled asparagus; cleanliness of everything; service from busboys; & extensive children's menu. Negatives: Main one was the service. Deborah was attentive at first - until 2 children (under age 10) arrived in our party. At that point, Deborah "checked out." She was not attentive or helpful, almost to the point of rudeness. For such high quality food and high prices, I expect impeccable service. She acted bothered by our table because we had 2 children (well-behaved). I would return to Benny's because of the food. I would ask for a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Team DinnerChuckD105VIPDined on 9/26/20147 Members of our Business Team went out for a blow-out celebration. The food is great, the service extraordinary and the wine list brilliant.Special Features:
- great eveningBuffaloMikeVIPDined on 9/24/2014every aspect of our experience at Benny's was just terrific. From the friendly bar staff to the waiters and most importantly the food. Could not have been a better experience.Special Features:
- ImpressedNemesis79Dined on 9/24/2014I've visited most steak houses in the top 10 for Chicago and I can honestly say Benny's was the best steak and the best service we've experienced. We went for a birthday and they really made it feel like a special occasion. Lots of nice little perks you won't get at other places.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Excellent choice of steak cuts with decent fish selection for non-carnivores. The special salad with fresh anchovies was a good starter. We split the dry aged porterhouse, with sautéed spinach, hash browns and a baked potato with all the fixings (chives, bacon, cheese sour cream and butter) Parts of the steak were a bit chewy, but the flavor did not disappoint. We finished with a sweet banana cream pie. Wine list is deep and expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMcoupleVIPDined on 9/22/2014Very Good Steak house - not into the over the top presentation of giving you a small meat cleaver to cut the steak. Service was great our server was unassuming pointed out items and treated us as if wee were the biggest spenders in the house. Only complaint - limited wine by glass selection. Overall if we get back to Chicago we will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Everything I was hoping for!c2coolerDined on 9/21/2014Great food, great wine selection, impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy Party at next tablequietDined on 9/20/2014When we arrived we were seated just down from a table with nine men. They had been drinking and were shouting at one another and were obnoxious. The person at the head of the table was cupping his hands to his mouth like a megaphone to shout at the people at the other end, right towards us. We asked to be moved, and were. Many thanks! After that the evening was excellent. Our server was competent and friendly, the food and wine were outstanding, and the decor were superb. What to do with a noisy group already seated? I don't have a good answer, but it was on its way to spoiling the evening until we were moved, and from the looks on the other diner's faces near their table it was bothering others as well. The evening ended nicely.Special Features:
- HoosierDined on 9/20/2014Attentive and professional servers, beautiful restaurant and food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Standards Slipping...ShanghaiGourmetVIPDined on 9/19/2014Very disappointing visit last Friday to this place where I have enjoyed numerous good meals. We decided to eat at the bar given the good vibe and pleasant music. However the bar was too thinly staffed to cope and service suffered. Our initial wine order took three follow up requests and around 25mins to arrive. More seriously, then the seafood appetizers arrived which were not fresh - prawns and oysters, and so were returned. At this point we requested the bill and left for another place where we were well treated. The GM was highly apologetic and comped the food & wine but saving money was not our objective. A restaurant of this caliber cannot afford these kinds of problems - esp when serving raw seafood.Special Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I selected this restaurant from Chicago magazines top 20 steakhouses. It lived up to the hype. The food was great and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TorontocoupleDined on 9/19/2014Outstanding food. Service was the best we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InsultedMunchman40Dined on 9/17/2014After reviewing the wine list and opting not to get a bottle, my wife ordered a glass of Chardonnay. The server asked American or French? My wife replied French. The server said that's $19 per glass. Both wife and I were insulted by the implication that we could not afford such a fine wine (She had two glasses, incidentally). When we expressed our dissatisfaction with the appetizer, we were told that the dish was naturally greasy. We left of it in the serving platter. And it would have been nice if the server informed us that the side dishes, served in separate dishes, were more than enough for two. We ordered three sides and ended up leaving half of those because we were staying in hotel and could not take leftovers with us.Special Features:
- Excellent experience on all countsmsbillowVIPDined on 9/16/2014Last week my boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary at Benny's. Every aspect of the experience was stellar. We're steakhouse/steak enthusiasts who recently moved to Chicago. This was our first time at Benny's and we will definitely return. We had the filet and feel that it might be the best we've ever had. We also had the ceviche and seafood salad, both of which were outstanding and certainly better than expected for a steakhouse. The wine list was notable and offered 3 oz pours of finer wines. For dessert, I recommend the carrot cake. It's delicious. Finally, the ambience is very elegant without being stodgy. Perfect setting for a romantic dinner, especially if you're seated in a booth.Special Features:
- YUM!!!redolXamDined on 9/13/2014Best steak in Chicago! We had great service and a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delivered what we expectedSoapmanicDined on 9/13/2014We were in Chicago and picked a night to have steak at one of the many great steak houses. Benny's was high on one of the review sites we read and it was convenient for us based on where we were staying. As expected, it was VERY expensive, the service was good and so was the food. We were happy to be in the bar area - despite being on Saturday night, the bar was much quieter than the dining room. Our only complaint was that for spending nearly $300, the candles on the table could have been real instead of battery powered.Special Features:
- Excellent SteakhouseRossDined on 9/13/2014The steaks (Filet Mignon and New York Strip) were cooked perfectly and had amazing flavor. After many attempts, I have finally found my Chicago steakhouse.Special Features:
- The best of a classic steakhouseOHProfDined on 9/13/2014Normally, we select multi-course meals or unusual dining experiences for special occasions. This time, we decided to try a classic Chicago steakhouse for our anniversary dinner. After a little searching, we chose Benny's for its consistently high ratings. We were not disappointed. The food was delicious, the service exquisite, and the wine list spectacular. Highly recommended. The portions were generous. Do not miss the macaroni and cheese with their house-cured bacon -- it was the best I'd ever eaten. The bone marrow butter on the steaks added rich umami flavor and tenderness.Special Features:
- OutstandingbblumbergDined on 9/11/2014I ate alone on a Thursday evening (5:30) just before the rush. I had the salmon tartare which was delicious - salmon layered on top of avocado surrounded by a thin slice of cucumber and topped with a thin slice of tomato and 4 different types of fish roe on top. For my main, I had the 16 oz dry aged rib eye, medium rare. It was cooked and seasoned to perfection. I am somewhat of an aficionado of rib eyes since I was a butcher in my youth and prefer this steak above all others. The waiter (Paul) recommended a Bordeaux blend to go with the steak and he was correct - a perfect match. While not inexpensive, Benny's is a truly outstanding steakhouse. If you love a great steak, don't miss it when visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- Amazing Find.nikkivDined on 9/10/2014I was visiting Chicago from Los Angeles and decided to try Benny's Chop House after seeing some of the reviews online. This place was amazing and far exceeded my expectations. First off, the food is amazing. Steaks are of the highest quality and the sides are great as well. We were even given a complimentary side of lobster risotto. Also, this place has a wine list that is as big as a novel. It was hard choosing a wine but the staff was very helpful and helped us choose the perfect wine to compliment our steaks. The staff is amazing. If you are ever looking for a great steak place I would definitely recommend going to Benny's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendSDToolmanDined on 9/9/2014Benny's was recommended by a driver and I can't thank that driver enough. The service, the atmosphere and the food, were all outstanding. When compared to the many other steakhouses in the area, the pricing is very reasonable. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.