benjy's upper washington
5922 Washington Avenue
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
benjy's upper washington
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://benjys.com/
- Phone: 7138681131x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday 11:00am - 3:00 pm; Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mike Potowski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The wine room at benjy's upper washington has a maximum capacity of 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 7138681131x
A word from benjy's upper washington
benjy’s modern American dining experience is the combination of a focused chef driven menu and warm Texas hospitality. Using fresh local produce our chefs apply world flavors and techniques that allow the ingredients to express themselves without borders. Rounding out the dining experience is a passionate wait staff that creates a relaxed atmosphere utilizing an accessible wine list and progressive cocktails. Since 1995, benjy’s has strived to build a restaurant that is uniquely Houston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
benjy's upper washington reviews from OpenTable diners
- Solid, not SpectacularUltimateWarriorDined on 10/27/2013Been here for brunch twice in the last month. Tried the Shrimp and Crab Omelette once and Benjy's Breakfast Plate the other. Neither was particularly amazing. The omelette was rather tasteless, and the Breakfast Plate was solid, but the chicken sausage was odd tasting. They do a Bloody Mary right and the staff is attentive and courteous. Get there early (11ish) if you want to walk in, it starts to get crowded after that time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed all aroundMrsKateSmithDined on 10/26/2013We should have known something was wrong when the parking lot was half empty and the restaurant wasn't even half full at 8:15 on a Saturday night. It took 10 minutes for our server to come to the table and another 20 to get our drinks. The menu has completely changed and over half of the ingredients listed are things 90% of consumers wouldn't know. The server informed us that the chef changed the menu in an effort to get patrons to "share dishes and stop ordering the Crunchy Chicken." I loved the Crunchy Chicken, why mess up a good thing? Our dishes weren't anything as they were described. Goat cheese grits had no goat cheese flavor. The risotto was overpowered with herbs and the pork was bland. So disappointed.Special Features:
- Great service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2013Both the food and the service were exceptional. Will definitely visit benjy's again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceHJF1Dined on 10/25/2013Really nice attentive service without being overpowering. Great choice of food and drinks. A little noisy - acoustics are bad - but not too extreme. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and differentCooksterDined on 10/25/2013Dining at Benjy's was thoroughly enjoyable. The food was delicious, and the menu offered items that were different without being "kooky". Very innovative, very satisfying. The Washington Avenue restaurant is beautiful with a luxe atmosphere, with leather seating and a variety of table sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday DinnerMeby85Dined on 10/22/2013Benjy's is our favorite restaurant. We decided to go for my boyfriend's birthday because he loves the crunchy chicken. When we learned that the crunchy chicken had changed, we were upset but still ordered it anyway. It turned out to be BETTER and we loved it! We followed it with the amazing "Mom's Chocolate Cake" and the dinner was nothing short of perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- business lunchcelinaDined on 10/14/2013I recently had a business lunch here and it was perfect!! The ambiance was quite so it was perfect... I could actually hear the conversation that was going on. I have also eaten dinner on a Saturday- such a fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchLizzieDined on 10/13/2013My friends and I went before the theatre and were excited by the menu. I had the shrimp and grits which were yummy, although very rich. The others tried different omelets. Portions were large. Hmmmm.....and definitely the blood orange mimosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentHookem720Dined on 10/13/2013After going to Benjy's many times for brunch, lunch, and dinner, I visited again with some out of town guests. Again, the service was excellent and the food was delicious. I had the brisket stack this time, which was extremely tasty, but that didn't stop me from eating several bites of my husband's fried chicken, which is my fave! Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly delightfulsonyaDined on 10/13/2013I came to the restaurant for the first time to brunch in Sunday. I brought my (Sometime pretentious) foodie friend from out of town and we were both super pleased with out meals and service. My crunchy chicken and his brisket stack were flavorful and very filling. Not to mention the mimosas were quite potent. He and I can't wait to have dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the operaBobbieDined on 10/12/2013We had tickets to Opera in the Heights so we wanted to dine close-by. Benjy's was a great choice. Everything went well and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMikeGDined on 10/5/2013Loved the farm to table dinner, food and drinks were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were originally going toMeganBecerraDined on 10/5/2013We were originally going to eat at Lorenzo's on Saturday but the wait was 35-40 minutes. I guess we got lucky when a table opened up because made a 7:30pm reservation at 7:15pm. We were seated immediately, ordered and ate within 40 minutes. It was some of the best service we've ever had and the food was fantastic. Great way to spend last-minute Saturday night plans.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningBeckyDMcVIPDined on 10/5/2013We went to benjy's prior to attending the theatre. When we made the reservation we let them know we needed to leave by 7:15 and that task was taken to heart as we were finished at 7:14. The service was prompt and attentive, the food was delicious and the ambience was eclectic and interesting. I loved the comfy booth, intimate enough for good conversation. My only disappointment would be the server talked too fast and did not explain the menu fully. But that was a very minor bump in a delightful eating journey.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Fair ServiceFoodieDined on 10/4/2013The food here is wonderful. Crispy chicken is amazing -- and I don't generally care for restaurant chicken. The alcohol is grossly over priced and the service is quite unprofessional but the food makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!PamelaVIPDined on 10/3/2013Many visits, many great reviews, always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly noisy, impossibleJROWVIPDined on 10/3/2013Incredibly noisy, impossible to have a business conversation at lunch
- A great find in HoustonStephWDined on 9/29/2013Our dining experience at Benjy's was the best that we experienced while we were in Houston. The food was delicious and the waitstaff was very helpful and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice as a change from routineisee2Dined on 9/28/2013The menu provides many unique options. The ingredients always seem to include a few less familiar items in every dish. Never is a dish like what you've had elsewhere. Usually that's good, sometimes not. Wine list is well designed for the food served and has plenty to choose from at good prices.Special Features:
- loud but comfortableouttolunchDined on 9/25/2013I made a reservation but the place was not that busy at lunch on a Thursday. It still managed to be loud. The hostess wanted to seat us at a corner booth which was right on top of two other people, but quickly got us a table on request. The rest of the service was professional and polite, the menu is typically a little weird but there is something for everyone. If you are looking for something that looks like a turkey melt, don't order the turkey melt. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!RichardDined on 9/22/2013Consistently excellent food, very good service, great ambience.Special Features:
- Always DeliversBradDined on 9/21/2013You can always count on a very good meal here. The service is exceptional.Special Features:
- Menu needs balancetexasgirlDined on 9/15/2013I've always enjoyed going to benjy's particularly for the atmosphere. However unless they change the menu I won't be going back. The majority of the menu was sort of an eclectic fusion mix. Everything my group ordered tasted good, but the pickier eater really didn't have much to choose from. Wish I would have looked at their menu ahead of time, I would suggest others do the same.Special Features:
- Not the best farm to table dinnerCelesteVIPDined on 9/14/2013I remember this place being better. The service was decent but the menu just didn't excite me. Some of the menu choices paired with their sides just didnt make sense to me but I am not a trained chef either. The table was oddly placed and I felt like I was on display and could never get comfortable as the wicker style chairs were too tall for me and quite uncomfortable. I had the crunch chicken and it was okay but nothing special. The gratin potatoes were undercooked but the broccoli was pretty good. Its about par for the pricing but I just feel like this place has lost that "oh my gosh that was so delicious" feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and yummy cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2013We really enjoyed this place. When we got there our table wasn't ready so they had us go to the bar and order drinks. It was a quick wait and we had delicious cocktails before beig seated for dinner. The menu featured locally acquired ingredients and specials. The waiter was well informed and gave great recommendations. Will define lay be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for drinks, bad for food.DionneDined on 9/13/2013My husband and I came friday night for date night. While the service and the drinks were amazing, the food was really bad. We should have sent back both meals, but wound up only sending one back. When a porterhouse-thick pork chop comes to the table overdone and dry, not 20 minutes after I've ordered it, I have to question if it was already in the oven before I requested it. The grits were actually gritty and this wasn't even the meal we sent back. :( My husband's chicken meal was equally overcooked and hard. Maybe it was an off night for the kitchen, but we won't be going back. I typically am anti-sending food back but when you're spending $$$, it should be edible at a minimum. We were so excited to eat there--so disappointing.Special Features:
- Popular SpotQualitynotQuantityVIPDined on 9/10/2013Benj's is a very popular, happening place and deserves to be so--appealing menu, pleasant atmosphere, good food and service. And they are responsive to reservations and special requests. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Sunday Supper!kittyproVIPDined on 9/8/2013Benjy's is still one of my very favorite restaurants. They always keep the menu interesting, the service is excellent, and the wine selection is terrific. The Sunday Supper is an INCREDIBLE deal! For $20, this week's menu included an heirloom tomato salad with bacon - almost like eating a BLT without the bread. Delicious! The main course was an amazing, huge beef filet, cooked to perfection, served atop a bed of incredibly good mustard greens - something I normally don't like at all. And dessert was a sinfully rich pistachio brownie topped with cream. The entree alone would cost upwards of $30 in any good steakhouse in town! By far the best meal deal to be found in Houston. Everything was cooked and served perfectly. Just wow!Special Features:
- Great dinner after the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2013First time eating at Benjy's for my wife and I. Love this place. The manager, waitstaff, food, wine were all excellent. We weren't sure what wine we wanted, manager made a recommendation and it was terrific. Ordered appetizers, meal, both were excellent. Will be advising our friends/family to go to Benjy's. You won't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Always a safe betOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2013Benjy's always is a good dining experience. The food is great, and the flavors are just reliable, interesting, bright, and tasty.Special Features:
- second time at Benji's forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2013second time at Benji's for brunch. Bloody Mary's are delic and the service is great. I had crab cakes the first visit and loved them. I had the crunchy chicken this visit and it wasn't my favorite, but that is just my taste, not a knock on their food. The brussel sprouts and shrimp starters were great. I wish I had our servers name, she was awesome. We had a small child with us and she was very accommodating to his needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice place to dinesoftwareguyDined on 9/7/2013Good food, good value , great service, nice ambiance. While maybe not the place for a foodie to delight in, this is a great restaurant for a nice mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchSugarlandBGDined on 9/4/2013We had great food and service. It was my first visit and I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Ok Happy Hour Spot!!DINEQUEENDined on 9/3/2013A friend and I went here for Happy Hour after work. The servers weren't the greatest - we had to wait literally over 10 minutes to get a glass of water. The food wasn't that bad though. I just like exceptional service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but very noisyHoustonFoodLoverDined on 9/1/2013Go there for the food not for serious conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestSandJFoodiesDined on 8/30/2013Our entire experience was over the top! The menu was diverse & delicious. The service we received was top notch. You have to try Benjy's when you're in Houston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ecclectic menu, local flavorBatchVIPDined on 8/30/2013Great food with locally sourced ingredients, creatively prepared. Good cocktails, rotating beer list. Great place to dine with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ingredients and great vibe!Kay1Dined on 8/30/2013We have been big fans of Benji's in the Village. Took some friends from work to lunch at the Washington location. Lovely decor, food is as always, interesting with a big emphasis on quality organic greens. Love it, and will go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer Service was ExcellentSmittyDined on 8/28/2013Napoleon is an outstanding server! His customer service skills are superb.Special Features:
- Food was delicious from appetizersLea81Dined on 8/27/2013Food was delicious from appetizers to dessert. The sashimi appetizer was delicious. If you are a brussell sprout fan, the crispy brussell sprouts were quite tasy. The pork chops were fantastic. The monkey cake dessert with coffee ice cream, yum! Service was exceptional from every person who worked there from the moment we walked in the door. Our waiter, Nathaniel, was the best waiter I have ever encountered, and that includes many fancy smancy restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.