benjy's in the village
Houston, TX 77005Neighborhood:
W. University / Med Center
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
benjy's in the village
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://benjys.com/
- Phone: 7135227602
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Joseph Stayshich
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The wine room at benjy's in the village overlooks the main dining room. The room accommodates groups of 12 to 22. Food and beverage minimums do apply and vary based on the time of day and the day of the week. Our staff is happy to personally assist you in developing a menu that best suits the needs of you and your guests. Chef's tasting menu and wine pairing dinners are also available.
- Special Events: Join us for Sunday Supper! Three course dinner served every Sunday from 5 to 9.
A word from benjy's in the village
benjy’s modern American dining experience is the combination of a focused chef driven menu and warm Texas hospitality. Using fresh local produce our chefs apply world flavors and techniques that allow the ingredients to express themselves without borders. Rounding out the dining experience is a passionate wait staff that creates a relaxed atmosphere utilizing an accessible wine list and progressive cocktails. Since 1995, benjy’s has strived to build a restaurant that is uniquely HoustonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
benjy's in the village reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great meal againrayfrommdDined on 10/27/2013I took two colleagues from Maryland, so we ate a variety of dishes. Both said their dishes were great & showed it by absolutely cleaning their plates (for all dishes, appetizer & entree). They had soup, salmon tartare, risotto & short ribs. I ate the crunchy chicken which was great. I had to take a box home only because I had eaten late that afternoon,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSailingproVIPDined on 10/27/2013Consistently good food and great service. Interesting menu prepared well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!tinaDined on 10/27/2013First time to visit. Food was delicious, service was good, would certainly go again. Noise level very high at noon on a Sunday, but that's okay if you're not expecting quiet and/or intimate. Small place so do make a reservation. We had one, and without it would have been a 35 minute wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service is not good at peakSunnnyVIPDined on 10/26/2013service is not good at peak time and no flexibility at peak time
- Best foodie resturauntHoustonvisitorDined on 10/24/2013Everything about this resturaunt outstanding and the chocolate cake is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten in my life.Special Features:
- Canadians love Benjy'sEndosamVIPDined on 10/22/2013I brought my friend from Canada to Benjy's for dinner and he loved it so much that we went to Local Foods for lunch. My friend had the Crunchy Chicken, one of my favorites. I had the Asian salad which was perfectly blended. Keep up the good work, Benjy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious new menuSusieDined on 10/22/2013I have always enjoyed Benjy's as one of my favorite restaurants. The new menu is outstanding with unusual and delicious items. I like the focus on local sources. We tried two new dishes--a kale salad that was outstanding and their new salmon main course which was delicious. I can't wait t go back and try some of the other new dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really recommend it!kd271Dined on 10/20/2013I came for brunch with my family and service was so attentive and perfect! The food was excellent and it is a funky venue! Highly recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch/LunchFormerHoustoniteDined on 10/20/2013I used to eat at Benjy's regularly when I lived in Houston and made sure to go back on this past visit. The food was great and the muffins before the meal were a unique touch. You can't go wrong with any of the food choices on the menu!Special Features:
- good dining experiencepianogirl13Dined on 10/19/2013The food and service was good. We only wished they 'd have more light in the room, hard to read a menu , hard to see.Had a better experience at lunch there with day light in the room.Special Features:
- Recruiting LunchRecruitingLunchDined on 10/18/2013We arrived at our reserved lunch a few minutes behind schedule. It was noticeable that this was not a huge issue due to the restaurant not being fully booked. When we arrived there was nobody at the counter to greet us and the table we had requested for five had not been set up at that point. In the reservation we stated that we would like a quiet table that was not in the aisle or near the kitchen. After about 7 minutes the hostess came to get us and took us to the first table located by the door... in the aisle. I politely asked her for a quieter table which she said was fine, but did not look pleased. We were sat in one of their booths which was a little big for our group, but out of the way. Service and food were okay at best.
- Healthy FoodWheatenmomDined on 10/14/2013It's the Farm to Table that attracted us. Good locally sourced food and prepared in generally a healthy idea. The Kale Caesar salad was just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place in the VillageBrianDined on 10/11/2013We really enjoyed our evening, the sommelier brought us a beautiful bottle of red wine...dinner was very good and we highly recommend it for any occasion. The bar upstairs was a happening scene and we enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to Table - Amazing!dkozeeDined on 10/9/2013Loved this place. Food was creative, flavorful and fresh. Service was outstanding. I will return. Parking was a little challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner reviewStephenDined on 10/7/2013This was my second time to Benjy's and I really love the food. I specifically picked Benjy's since their website stated that they were serving their wedge salad. Upon arrival, the staff were amazing and our service was outstanding!!!! Unfortunately, the wedge was not on the menu and instead we went with a 5 spice salad - it was an interesting blend, but was not complimentary to the main dish or appetizer. Just a thought - it seemed a bit too complicated. Will be back soon. =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealSaraJ17Dined on 10/4/2013You can't really go wrong at Benjys. I've been there 4 times over the last year and each time it's different. The Kale Caesar Salad was AMAZING! It was not a typical Caesar, but instead of new innovative and delicious. I'd definitely go back for that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great wait staffBdaydinDined on 10/4/2013At first. We were wondering what the wait staff was doing. There were so many standing around, especially this tall woman who was watching how the restaurant was running. At first she didn't smile & was intimidating. There were about 5 different waiters asking us how everything was. That was a tad bit annoying because our conversation was getting interrupted. But, the food was so amazing & this is one of my favorite restaurants, that we overlooked the interruptions. The flavored popcorn on the tables was not very good & not necessary. But to get back to the tall, beautiful manager, she smiled & we melted. So, our experience was wonderful & the food better. By the way, she reminded us of Joan from Mad Man.Special Features:
- We Loved Our WaiterAb004VIPDined on 9/30/2013Our waiter was amazing! Couldn't have picked a better one! Very pleased!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good visitVanADined on 9/29/2013The food was very good but the service didn't leave an impression.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceericariosDined on 9/28/2013Or waitress had her hands full with our 13 top table but she was nice quick and didn't flinch when we told her we needed split checks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying brunchEllieDined on 9/21/2013We made reservations for a mid-afternoon brunch on a Saturday (I was surprised that reservations were recommended but it was a smart move - the place was hopping at 1:30). The service was perfect and the food was very good. I had the chicken and waffles, which were served with a fruit compote spread and bacon. The chicken was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside - yum! I am a crispy bacon fan but Benjy's was a wonderful mix of tender and substance. It was the first time I ever actually enjoyed a softer bacon, plus the saltiness was just right to offset the sweet fruit and waffle. My husband had one of the specials of the day, a short rib hash. It was really good too, in a dinner-for-breakfast kind of way. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- benjys in the villageannonymousDined on 9/12/2013this is a great place for a mid-week meal out, as usual, great service, good food,and a really good time had by all. excellent cocktails.the only problem-parking has become a nightmare-no spots in lot,none on street, perhaps its time for valet?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2013Great restaurant! Benjy's does a great job of getting good local food to you in creative and delicious plates. Went with my family so it was really easy for us to all order something different and split. Highly recommend this as it is a good way to taste what they hvae to offer, all of which was great!!Special Features:
- Our experience took placebonapettiteDined on 9/9/2013Our experience took place on a Monday night, and it may not be completely representative of the total experience. The menu seemed limited, but the food was well prepared and served. Nothing was offered to nibble on while waiting for the meal. The waiter was nice, but did not go out the way to explain the menu, and her description did not match my dish. The quantities were adequate and well presented. Dessert was the best part of the meal, and all 4 shared it, and brought excitement to the end of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Benjy'sDonnaDined on 9/9/2013I have never had a bad meal here - everything is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatsulli3Dined on 9/8/2013Brunch is busy and there was some confusion with my reservation, but the manager was very helpful and made everything work.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2013Awesome cocktail list and a very good wine list with lots of variety in the $40-$50/bottle. Also the food did not disappoint! A little noisy but adds to the fun environment.Special Features:
- Exceeded my expectationsKCtravelerDined on 9/7/2013This was my second time to Benjy's. I had the 10 vegetable dish with chicken and it was very good. I started with the Kale salad with stonefruit, which was equally good. My friends and I were seated in the upper dining room, which is smaller and quieter. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Very Friendly StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/4/2013As always, the staff at Benjy's was very friendly. Has always received good service at Benjy's. The food was well prepared and accommodated my special request with no problems. A place to visit often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eccletic, Farm to Table!Dineout5VIPDined on 9/1/2013OMG, even the sweet curry popcorn placed on the table as an appetizer/snack was delicious! I recently celebrated my birthday here, and enjoyed a wonderful meal full of farm-fresh vegetables and ingredients. The mushroom goat cheese tart was outstanding; and others at my table enjoyed the Rye-crusted Salmon, and Barbeque Pizza. And let's not forget about Mom's chocolate cake....to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceHouTravelerDined on 9/1/2013The crab cake brunch entree was delicious. The crunchy french toast was unique and very good. The service, from the waitstaff and the restaurant managers, was outstanding!! Very highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longtime favorite in Houston!NOLAGirlDined on 8/31/2013Benjy's never disappoints. The Village location is great...the restaurant is beautiful and has a great outdoor bar. The food was really good....as always!! We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benjy's in the village is fantasticEatingOutTonightDined on 8/29/2013One of the better restaurants ive been to in a long time. We went during Houston Restaurant Weeks and had the Weeks menu which the restaurant donates a portion of your bill to the Houston Food Bank. Three course meal was incredible. Probably the best dinner me and my wife have had out to eat in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm saved!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013After being diagnosed with gluten, wheat, dairy and soy allergies, I thought my days of being a foodie were over! I loved everything I ordered! I'd take their Pistachia Semi-Freddo dessert any day and the Shrimp Scallop risotto was divine! Fresh, flavorful, suprisingly indulgent and satisfying! The environment was very upbeat, modern and classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy recommendation from waiter...LynneR912VIPDined on 8/19/2013The waiter suggested a "little plate" dish when I said I wanted room for dessert and it was wonderful - smoked salmon on top of crispy hash browns with a lovely sauce and a little salad. Left room for their "grandma's" chocolate cake - pretty good!Special Features:
- Flavors for foodiesDIG243Dined on 8/18/2013We love Local Foods next door, and thought we would try Benjy's in HRW. The restaurant was vibrant and quite full, but not enough to accommodate 4 diners who came before us without a reservation. It was a mixed crowd, mainly young professionals, but quite a few families and couples dining. The welcome and service was warm, friendly and impeccable. The menu is varied, and brings a strong focus to the great sides and accompaniments locally sourced at the Farmers market on Richmond. I loved the pork potstickers with their different levels of flavors. My husband tried the blackened salmon as his entrée and it was barely a notch above the saffron risotto with shrimp. We finished the meal with the watermelon sorbet with peach and pink peppercorn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013My experience couldn't have been any easier. I booked my table on-line and when I got there, went straight to my table. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We all enjoyed Benjy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2013Wen there first time for Sunday Brunch. Chicken and waffles were excellent! Nice place with good service. Freinds liked the spicy bloody marySpecial Features:
- Best Place In HoustonjlaymonDined on 8/17/2013Benjy's is a great place to take a date or family for a business casual- formal dinner. The food at Benjy's is always fresh, prepared with delicate care and is completely fantastic.FANTASTIC! Benjy's is like the best gourmet food I've had in Houston and it is totally a treat when I get to go out to Benjy's. On the weekends just make sure to make a reservation ahead of time b/c this place is poppin'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been meaning to try oneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013I've been meaning to try one of the Benjy's for awhile and finally made it out to the one in Rice Village. It did not disappoint! Eclectic design with a classy, yet unpretentious atmosphere. Menu selection choices were creative and superbly prepared. Service was also great. When the appetizers were delivered, the chef or chef's assistant gave us some personalized advice on how to mix/match/eat to bring out certain flavors in the dishes - and he was spot on. Highly recommended and I'm looking forward to my next visit.Special Features: