1849 Second Street
Highland Park, IL 60035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benjaminrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8477488737
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Brittsan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater many different events from weddings, rehearsals, bridal showers, business luncheons. Every event is special and dfferent in it's own right. We do custom menus for all events
- Private Party Facilities: Benjamin Restaurant has a mezzanine space available for private parties and events. We can accomodate up to 70 people.
- Private Party Contact: Benjamin Brittsan 8477488737
- Entertainment: Baby Grand Piano on the Mezzanine above. Live Jazz for dinner and late night service on Saturdays.
- Special Events: As with our catering, we have a beautiful room to accomodate many special events from bridal showers, weddings, wedding rehearsal dinners etc. Chef & Owner Benjamin Brittsan will customize everything to your needs and expectations. We will go above and beyond to make sure your event with us is nothing but spectacular and memorable. Please contact us at 847-748-8737 to plan your special occasion. Cheers!
A word from Benjamin Restaurant
BRING IN YOUR RAVINIA TICKET STUB ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT TO RECEIVE 15% OFF YOUR BILL. We support as many local distributors as we can by obtaining products from local farms, artisans, boutique food growers, local microbreweries, and play a major role in our community. We do everything on our part to stay green and stay as local and all natural as possible. We bring the downtown Chicago atmosphere to the north shore without bringing the prices with us. Our focus is to have as many people dine within our Victorian retro surroundings and eat top quality food & drink within a upscale dining atmosphere at a price point that is affordable. We feel very strongly about the connection between our guests and the farmers and growers who provide our products. We look forward to serving you and having you dine with us at Benjamin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Benjamin Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- LARRY DAVID WOULD WRITE ABOUTOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2012Got SEATED up stairs per our request & waited & waited for someone to take our orders. I HAD TO CALL THE RESTAURANT ON MY CELL PHONE IN ORDER TO GET SOMEONE TO TAKE OUR ORDER UPSTAIRS,UPON GIVING OUR ORDERS,THE WATRESS GOT THE APPS.WRONG & THEN GOT MY MEAL ORDER WRONG AGAIN THE MGR SAID THAT THE MEAL IS ON THE HOUSE , BUT WE STILL HAD A $61.00 DINNER BILL. THEY KNEW THAT WE WERE THERE 4 MY WIFE'S B-DAY/OUR ANNIVERSARY & WE STILL GOT CHARGE $6.95 FOR A PIECE OF CAKE THAT TASTED IT WAS FROM LAST WEEK.AFTER GETTING A NEW WAITER WE THOUGHT THINGS WERE BETTER EXCEPT AT THE END.WE GOT THE CHECK & WAITED & WAITED AFTER OUR FIRST CUP OF COFFEE WE FINISHED IN 5 MINUTES HE CAME OUT 20 MINUTES LATER AFTER WE WERE READY 2 LEAVE WITH A POT OF COFFEE :-(
- Food was very creative...DinarDined on 8/15/2012Food was very creative... The grilled calamari and mushroom Bruschetta were delicious with many flavors. The ambiance is warm...and comforting. Our service was great and attentive.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and promptAliceDined on 8/11/2012Outstanding food and prompt service. The scallops were out of this world! We will be back!Special Features:
- We liked the variety of theJudyLVIPDined on 8/11/2012We liked the variety of the menu selections and each dish was attractive and tasty. We also liked the way the restaurant has been redecorated since its past as a different place. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood gem. FeltcybertuthDined on 8/10/2012Nice neighborhood gem. Felt more like a city restaurant than one in the burbs. Will go back again.Special Features:
- Calm restaruant focused onOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2012Calm restaruant focused on casual fine dining. Seats were comfortable and the tables well spaced. Staff was timely, friendly and accomodating of the children. Gnocchi was the best I've ever been served. Had 6 other dishes. All were well prepared.Special Features:
- Everything was fine, really.2essenceVIPDined on 8/10/2012Everything was fine, really. It is just not my type of restaurant. The chef uses too much fat in the recipes for my taste. The ambiance seems suited for an older crowd.Special Features:
- Food and service were great.jennyriverDined on 8/9/2012Food and service were great. Pretzels and fondue very yummy, buffalo skewers delicious, burger was GREAT, scallops just what i wanted and delicious, seafood pasta special was just OK. salads were very good but beet salad was overpriced for size. wish they could have accomodated our 8yr old a little better - she enjoyed her burger but there were no other options for cheese or side dishes. even offer something simple like a pasta or simple pizza? or smaller or less smothered burger. children like good food too but just shouldn't have to eat as much (and pay as much) as adults! service was wonderful - very nice waiters, bus/water servers, manager walked around checking on us. liked the decor and pillows are a fun and comfy touch.Special Features:
- I've been back to BenjaminOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2012I've been back to Benjamin several times and itIs always a great experience. It was my anniversary And they really helped to make it a wonderful night.The service and good were top notch! I can't Wait to go back again soon.Special Features:
- TunaBusOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/4/2012Stumbled upon Benjamin after purchasing a Living Social coupon online. It was a perfect spot for a date night with my husband. The staff very welcoming and warm. We started with a few drinks in the bar and I tried one of their signature cocktails, which was delicious. We were seated promptly and greeted by our server. Great menu choices at pretty fair prices. Our server was somewhat weird or off but nevertheless friendly and prett attentive. Food was good... Frites were delicious!Special Features:
- True gourmetHgr1000VIPDined on 8/1/2012Food unuasual with wonderful combinations of flavor. Pork chop Over 1 inch thick with I think bulcar wheat and fish broth and other vegitables. Wonderful combinationsSpecial Features:
- We had made a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2012We had made a reservation for 6 for Sunday night, July 29. Unfortunately, that afternoon we were contacted by Benjamin Restaurant to say they had plumbing issues and had had had to close the restaurant. As you didn't allow me to skip the star ratings, I gave them the lowest marks, although I had not dined there and had no real idea what ratings I would give them had I actually been there.
- Had a wonderful dinner hereAshleyVIPDined on 7/27/2012Had a wonderful dinner here before the James Taylor concert at Ravinia. I had never dined in Highland Park and found this place just through reading reviews. Service is top notch. I had the scallops, which were amazing and my husband had the sea bass special. I would say the piece of fish was a little on the small side for the price, but he said it was so good it didn't matter. We also had the banana something dessert - awesome. Prices really aren't bad and with your Ravinia ticket, they give you 15% off, which is a nice touch. Will be back if I'm ever in the area. Oh, and we sat on the second floor - very intimate and lovely.Special Features:
- MediocreDiningWithLittleDarlingsDined on 7/27/2012We heard great things about Benjamin but we were not very impressed. Maybe it was an off night, but our food was just so-so. Nothing stood out. Not sure that we would return, especially considering how pricey it was for food that was mediocre.
- Great first time visit.casualdinerVIPDined on 7/25/2012We enjoyed our meal at Benjamin Restaurant. Had the bison skewers for an appetizer. Loved the scallops for dinner. There were five of us in our party and everyone enjoyed the meal. The only downside, our Australian friend did not like any of the beer selections! We did find suitable wine for everyone at our table.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2012Absolutely wonderful food, prepared with thought about blending tastes and textures, beautifully presented. Each course seemed more delightful then the previous course. A thouroughly well planned menu from start to end.Special Features:
- Generally enjoyed the meal.dianeVIPDined on 7/21/2012Generally enjoyed the meal. Had the Benjamin salad to start, found the drsg to be flat and rather boring. Components were good, could have used a little spark. entrees of new york strip and stuffed port chop were both good. entrees arrived too early, while still having 1st course, felt rushed.
- Delicious. Salad a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2012Delicious. Salad a little skimpy for the price. Scallops were outstanding. Perfect texture and size with a lovely sauce. Delicious! My husband had the salmon which was good but he said mine was better.Special Features:
- This is my third trip there.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/18/2012This is my third trip there. Each time I have taken my Food son a 15 year old as I am a divorced dad. The first two times HE has an excellent meal, (lamb shank and fish) however my food the first few times was way below average (bony and cartilage pieces of chicken in the chicken pot pie and and way too fatty duck breast). Thus this third time was my last pitch. And it was great!!! We shared a piece of fish and the burger and some beets and some bison skewers. First, the presentation was great and the food was outstanding absolutely no complaints. The details of the food and its presentation was again outstanding.Special Features:
- The service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/17/2012The service was excellent , the food was delicious and the presentation was over the top!Special Features:
- absolutely fabulous, thisbobavaVIPDined on 7/17/2012absolutely fabulous, this is one of the best new restaurants on the north shore. The chef blends flavors like only the best downtown chefs create. Benjamin is creative in his choice of menu items which he changes often but still keeps some favorites. DO NOT MISS THIS SPOT!!!!!!!Special Features:
- We Will Return!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/15/2012Although Benjamin's has been open about a year already this was our first visit. It has a very nice comfortable ambience. The music was little loud when we first walked in, but when asked the staff turned the music down. By the time we left almost every table was occupied, and the noise level was well under control. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly but not obtrusive. The food was terrific. I had the veal chop special and my wife had the NY strip. Both done perfectly. The bison skewer and crab & avocado appetizer were great, as was the cream of mushroom soup. I don't know how we missed this place the past year. We will return!Special Features:
- Consistently good in Highland ParkFargoFlashVIPDined on 7/14/2012Good honest fine dining in downtown Highland Park. A excellent pre-Ravinia choice. Very good local sourced food carefully and tastefully prepared. Sit upstairs if you can. We enjoyed sharing several mall plates. Many tasty and creative codices from which to choose.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful diningMikeDined on 7/13/2012We had a wonderful dining experience. Just what we wanted for celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary. We were led to the "anniversary table" on the second floor. Our waiter, Matt, was excellent, attentive and very knowledgeable about items on the menu. The background music really helped set the mood and allowed for quiet conversation. The food was excellent!Special Features:
- Over-the-topMinchireVIPDined on 7/8/2012We tried Benjamin after an early Sunday concert at Ravinia after seeing that it gives a 10% discount to patrons who present their same-day tickets while dining. (Unfortunately, none of the four of us remembered to save ours.) Everything we ordered was excellent, but the decor, ambiance and ambitious nature of every entree left us wanting something more comfortably casual at the end of a long weekend. There were few occupied tables when we arrived, and we were the last to leave, so service was never a problem. We just all felt the restaurant is either trying too hard--or that we wanted to try less! We may be back for a special occasion, but not when we're in the mood for something less over-the-top.Special Features:
- The gnocchi was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012The gnocchi was fantastic. So was the strip steak. The only thing that kept it from a five star rating was the wine, but toy can bring your own if you want.Special Features:
- Our visit to Bejamin's wasDMGMDVIPDined on 7/3/2012Our visit to Bejamin's was even more delightful than we had anticipated. The Tuscan salad, gourmet hamburger, and pasta of the day were all excellent. Very atractive room.Special Features:
- Instead of bread, you getAvisVIPDined on 7/3/2012Instead of bread, you get fresh baked pretzels and flavored butter ... YUM. The food was creative and very tasty. One caveat - if you have any dietary restrictions, be sure to ask for a detailed description of your menu choice as not all of the main ingredients were included when I specifically inquired.Special Features:
- creative and fun menu. attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/1/2012creative and fun menu. attentive staff. great wines.Special Features:
- Dined on a Sunday night withOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/1/2012Dined on a Sunday night with the restaurant about 10% full, and the service was abominable. Slow, slower, slowest. We had to repeatedly ask the wait staff to hurry things along. When service is bad, I don't care how good the food was. Makes for an unenjoyable experience.
- need to do something aboutVerydisappointedVIPDined on 6/30/2012need to do something about how noisy it is! The piano is a nice touch but the type played doesnt go with the atmosphere/decor of the restaurant. Food and service were great! The gnocchi is awesome!
- We were greeted warmly byOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/30/2012We were greeted warmly by the hostess. When asked for food recommendations she took her time to describe her favorite dishes which we ordered. Our next encounter was with our waitress who took her time, was patient and delightful. The food was DELICIOUS! We ordered the New York Strip Steak and the Maine Sea Scallops as well as the Feta cheese appetizer. The only problem was parking. We had to park by the train station and walk in 90 degree temperatures. Maybe, they should consider valet parking.Special Features:
- All of the food was delicioussofiadujourVIPDined on 6/27/2012All of the food was delicious and beautiful! Love the interior, minus the slippery floors. Standout was the scallops entree.Special Features:
- Accomodating service, great foodMarkDined on 6/27/2012My wife and I booked our reservation to Benjamin's online for a Wednesday night, as it was noted on their website that the tasting menu was only offered Tuesday/Wednesday. When we arrived and talked to our server, she was very excited for our order, but informed us it would add quite a bit of time to put it together. We were in no rush, so we didn't mind. After a 10-15 minute wait, we had our first course. It was abundant, with 4 different salads and paired nicely with a rose wine. At a nearby table, we overheard another server inform her table that the tasting menu was only available with prior notice! We were thrilled to have a server that didn't mind bending the rules for us, even if it came along with a bit of a wait for our food.Special Features:
- Pretzels were nice, room isOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/23/2012Pretzels were nice, room is pretty. The salad was a caprase, we received the core of the tomato. The chicken was over done. The piano which could have been a nice idea, but it was so loud we couldn't talk. We will not be going back
- So many unique and deliciousLizzieBVIPDined on 6/22/2012So many unique and delicious sounding options on the menu it was hard to decide what to order! My husband and I rarely order an appetizer, but had to try the baked feta which was amazing. We also shared a side order of garlic frites. Our entrees were fantastic & we looked forward to finishing the leftovers the next day. Unfortunately we ordered so much we didn't have room for the s'mores dessert I wanted to try. We sat upstairs which was quiet with a nice private like ambience - great for a date night. Downstairs looked nice as well, but better for going out with friends. Definitely go back to try other menu items, but too expensive to be one of our frequent dining options. We'll have to save it for the next special occasion.Special Features:
- The service was great, exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2012The service was great, except toward the end of the meal. I feel like our server forgot us.Special Features:
- as always, chef Benjamin seemsbobavaVIPDined on 6/15/2012as always, chef Benjamin seems to find flavors to impart into his food that is very unique. A wonderful dinner and host.Special Features:
- This was our first time dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2012This was our first time dining. We chose Benjamin's for its proximity to Ravinia and would gladly return.Special Features:
- It would be a neighborhoodUnderwhelmedVIPDined on 6/9/2012It would be a neighborhood gem if it were not so expensive. The food is very good and the drinks are outstanding.Special Features: