Benjamin Restaurant & Bar
603 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Benjamin Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.benjaminny.com/
- Phone: 2128890750
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marty Markovitz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Benjamin Catering has been in-house caterers for many of the premium event spaces in the city. We offer drop off platters to full service catering. Great event planners available for your every need. There is no catering company in NYC who can match our quality for the price.
A word from Benjamin Restaurant & Bar
Classic American Bistro located in Murray Hill. Eclectic & upbeat with daily specials, great service & all set in a relaxing atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Benjamin Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (9)romantic (5)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Delicious Food in Great LocaleelesterDined on 8/20/2014Benjamin Restaurant & Bar offers a warm and inviting ambience and quite a varied menu full of appetizing options. It is a great place to enjoy a lovely meal and an environment conducive to conversations.Special Features:
- Nice!DeeLeeDined on 8/11/2014Enjoyed dining here! A nice little spot to enjoy some good food.Special Features:
- Dope spotMeechGold87Dined on 7/15/2014Great environment. Super attentive staff. And they didn't treat me different even though I used a LivingSocial coupon. I frequently do use resources such as the aforementioned and Groupon and to my surprise they welcomed it and explained how the promotion worked. I would def recommend you go and bring friends. They thank you later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual dining at its bestkellyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Benjamin's is a wonderful, casual restaurant located in Murray Hill that serves a gamut of American fare. The highlight of Benjamin's is our server who was very helpful in suggestions, personable and kind, even though it was very busy on a Saturday night. All of his recommendations were very good. We will be back!Special Features:
- BAD A.C.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/16/2014THE ONLY COMPLAINT IS THAT THE AIR CONDITIONING WAS NOT GOOD. IT IS HARD TO ENJOY YOUR FOOD IF YOUR AND SWEATING AND UNCOMFORTABLESpecial Features:
- bobnyVIPDined on 6/15/2014Good local restaurant with consistently good basic food.Special Features:
- Great Food!nycexplorerDined on 6/14/2014The food was very good and well prepared. The restaurant was like 95% full but seemed a little understaffed. The manager was very friendly and visible! It was actually our first wedding anniversary and wanted to tell the waitress but she seemed so busy, we did not want to bother her.Special Features:
- Best in Kip's BayWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food is always excellent, the service is first rate, the prices won't leave anyone worrying about having enough for cab fare afterwards. This is my favorite place to go post-movies from the AMC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so much...WFGalDined on 5/17/2014A friend was visiting from LA and I wanted to try something new that I had not heard of or been to. Well, I now know why I had not heard of Benjamin. It looks great online and even when you see if from outside. But the staff all seemed very junior and not committed to their jobs. The food was underpar - tasted like I could have made it myself at home. We both had two variations of salad with shrimp, both were basic and bland. The crab cake starter we shared also bland and again something I could have made myself and probably would have been better. Limited wine by the glass menu too. I am never going back there...boring and not very yummy!
- Great place for a great mealWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 5/16/2014Excellent food, attentive service, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Benjamin Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Great for brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2014Took my parents and some friends here for Sunday brunch. It was the perfect ambiance - quiet and cozy - so we could hear each other talk. The food was delish! Service was a little slow, but we didn't mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually disappointedFoodieDined on 3/13/2014Ive had great steak here. This was not up to your usual standard. Meat a little tough. Ordered the steak for two medium as wife likes medium well and my son and i like medium rare. Probably came out more medium well than medium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood spot forDennyboyDined on 2/1/2014Good neighborhood spot for before or after a movie.Special Features:
- A NYC FavoriteupstatedownstateDined on 1/19/2014Great matzoh ball soup. Sunday night pasta special a steal.Special Features:
- Positive ExperienceSpencerDined on 12/31/2013I came here for a New Years Eve dinner with another couple and had a pleasant experience. We arrived twenty minutes early so we offered to sit at the bar while they prepared our table, but the table ready for us so we sat down and looked over the menu. I ordered the sirloin steak which was well seasoned and cooked to my satisfaction. The mashed potatoes, carrots and squash were also good. I ordered a Guinness from the drink menu, but the server said they were all out and suggested another beer that paired very well with the steak. Everybody left satisfied. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere. Thumbs up.Special Features:
- A real findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013This restaurant was a real surprise. The seating was spaced far enough apart that you didn't hear everyone's conversation. The food was great, lot's of choice, fresh, served good and hot. The staff are friendly and very efficient. I would recommend The Benjamin to anyone going to that neighborhood.Special Features:
- Best neighborhood placePeng9608Dined on 12/30/2013It's the best place to catch whatever you are tasting. The steak is my personal favorite. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Greagt dining experienceTonyDined on 12/6/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dinnig at Benjamin's.the weather was dreadful but the spirit and atmosphere inside was more than pleasant. The menu choices are vast, the price is right and the service was perfect. Oh yes, the food was terrifc. See you next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One and done.Beanlover216Dined on 12/5/2013The restaurant was not for me. The service was pleasant enough. The location was great as I was going to the movies across the street. My friend's burger was good and so were her sweet potato fries. My crab cake was fair and the onion rings were battered so heavily one could not get the taste of the onion. Seemed like a good neighborhood place. I just don't live in the neighborhood.
- Perfect.SaritaDined on 11/18/2013The food was divine. It was so full of flavor. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been here previouslyCarmel2VIPDined on 11/11/2013We have been here previously and always enjoyed the good. Last night our appetizer was terrible and my entree was at best mediocre. I won't return
- Good for a burger after the moviesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2013Certainly not fine dining by a long stretch, but if you're looking to grab a burger after sering a movie at the Kips Bay theater, this place works.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Pleasant ExperienceRayTVIPDined on 11/8/2013Food is good we had a very efficient and attentive waiter. They also have some very good deals, early dining discounts and an occasional Amazon Local deal.Special Features:
- WE LIKE FOOD. NICE PRICE FOROpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/4/2013WE LIKE FOOD. NICE PRICE FOR HAPPY HOUR. MY ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THEY COULD SERVE A MUCH BETTER WINE FOR HH. MY GROUP AND I ALL DRINK WINE.Special Features:
- Food not greatFrancesoDined on 8/19/2013We were disappointed with the preparation of our dishes. Each course was somewhere in quality between a cafeteria and a restaurant. We went there because of the positive revues hoping that this bar could also deliver good food. No. It was the quality you would expect from TGIF. Too bad. We won't be going back. Our waiter, however, was excellent.
- Not as good as last time.DesignerDinerVIPDined on 8/14/2013Met friends and was very disappointed with food, which seems to be going downhill at Benjamin. Food wasn't good, it wasn't bad-- just mediocre. Safest bet was meatloaf-- our scallops and duck dishes were just so-so. We'll look for somewhere else to meet.Special Features:
- Good Food!RACHELNYCDined on 7/26/2013The food was delicious! I had the shrimp noodles with butter, garlic and wine sauce. Best i've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's That Smell?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2013I Invited A Friend Out For Dinner So We Could Talk And Get A Little Closer. As We Entered The Restaurant, We Were Greeted By A Man Who Smelled So Bad! He Stunk Up The Entire Place! I Was Sooooo Embarrassed Because This Was My Friend's First Time There! Mr. Stinky Sat Us To Our Table And Thank God He Never Came Back! Hygiene Is Very Imortant! Especially When You Work In A Restaurant Near Food! We Asked For A Pitcher With Ice And Water And We Were Told Your Restaurant Has Only 2 And Couldn't Give Us One! WOW!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gem. PerfectFoodloverVIPDined on 6/14/2013Great neighborhood gem. Perfect for when you are you to movies across the street. Try the pork chops.Special Features:
- Benjamin RestaurantWendyDined on 6/10/2013The food was mediocre; edible, but not terrific. Our server was attentive. But I arrived earlier than my 2 luncheon partners. The restaurant was not crowded. I asked the manager if he had a table in the enclosed porch. He apologized that he didn't, so I settled for a table in a dark part of the restaurant. By the time our 2nd party arrived, we realized the restaurant was nearly empty, so we asked to be seated in the enclosed porch, where it was much lighter and brighter and more pleasant, in general.
- SolidBigginsVIPDined on 5/8/2013This place is solid and continues to deliver good food with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, consistent neighborhoodMarciaDined on 4/29/2013Reliable, consistent neighborhood dining. Excellent service, comfortable seating, varied menu with excellent daily specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a large group.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Good place for a large group. Food was good and very affordable.Special Features:
- PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/31/2013We went there for brunch/lunch. My fritatta was very tasty but greasy as were the potatoes. Coffee was watery. My husband's cobb salad did not have much lettuce and the french fries were greasy/cold - clearly warmed over from night before. The service was non-existent - except for one time, we had to call waiter over for everything...
- One of my favorites!WaryoneVIPDined on 3/21/2013Our waitress (Melissa?) is always very good and especially helpful with my meal orders in regards to my varied food allergies. Likewise, the rest of the wait-staff has also been very helpful in that regard, which makes me return frequently with friends and family since I know I'll be served a safe yet flavorful and satisfying meal.Special Features:
- it's an ok neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/13/2013it's an ok neighborhood restaurant with lots of early bird specials and discounts. not worth a trip if you are not in the neighborhood.
- Very good neighborhood restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/6/2013Very good neighborhood restaurant. Glad we went. If we lived near by we'd go back often, but a little off our beaten path.Special Features:
- Two of us got two apps andHankeyVIPDined on 3/5/2013Two of us got two apps and two entrees. For apps, mussels were succulent and decent-size and cesar salad was decent. The dry-aged steak was cooked to order, but the ahi tuna steak was over-cooked (ordered medium but received almost well-done). The dessert brownie ice cream sundae recommended by the waiter was tooth-achingly sweet. The service was very attentive. Overall, a so-so experience although we'd had better at this place.Special Features:
- Not as good as the first time.BigginsVIPDined on 3/2/2013This was my second time there and it was not as good as the first. The first time was great, this time left something to be desired. The pizza I had lacked character. It was way too greasy and had no flavor at all. The homemade sausage on the pizza was good but not good enough to say the pizza, not to mention there was not enough of it on there. The service was good, no complaints there. I will go there again and I look forward to a more enjoyable and satisfying meal.
- The staff was friendly andBigginsVIPDined on 2/6/2013The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was well prepared and had a good presentation. They gave a good portion and most importantly it tasted great! I enjoyed it very much and will go there again.Special Features: