137 Court Ave. SW
Canton, OH 44702Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bendersrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3304538424x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 9:15 pm, Friday: 4:00 pm - 10:15 pm, Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:15 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Carl Falcone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bender"s has three private dining areas to choose from. The Original Ladies Dining Room will host up to 65 people for sit down dining. The rooms original mosaic tile floor, dark wood walls and an original dry bar creates a wonderful atmosphere for a smaller business function or rehearsal that would need space for cocktail hour or hors d'oeurves. The Green Room will host up to 50 for a sit down dining or becomes a great space for a smaller event that requires A/V equipment, or a smaller feel for a special occasion. The Private Back Main area will seat up to 16 for sit down dining. The space is ideal for a small birthday party, business function or special event. Bender's service and culinary staff prides itself on serving large groups with individual attention to personal needs and quality efficient service.
- Private Party Contact: Jon Jacob 3304538424x
- Cross Street: 2nd St. SW
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: In the evening (Dinner) parking is available directly across from the restaurant on the corner of 2nd St. SW and Court Ave. SW. Street Parking is also available. Day time (Lunch)parking is available on the street metered parking & the parking lot directly across from the restaurant(minimum of $22 purchase to receive validated parking in this lot.)
A word from Bender's Tavern
Located in the Historic District of downtown Canton, Bender's Restaurant offers its customers an elegant, relaxing atmosphere where one can enjoy fine food and wine. Bender's has been satisfying customers with culinary classics, drink and hospitality since 1902. Today we continue our long tradition by offering only the highest quality seafood fresh from Foley Fish in Boston, MA. If you are looking for beef, Bender's consistently serves only the highest quality beef. Known nationally for the extensive and moderately priced wine list, owner Jerry Jacob's forty years of experience tasting and selecting wines will certainly impress your palate. We pride ourselves on serving seasonal culinary delights and fine wines. Please stop by and see us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bender's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Canton ›
Bender's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (36)good for groups (28)great for lunch (26)romantic (22)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- destination diningitwasMEHDined on 9/5/2014Very fresh dishes cooked imaginatively and served in a comfortable, not pretentious, yet elegant atmosphere. Service achieved the perfect balance of unobtrusive yet friendly attention. The historic building is a place I'll take guests to again, even though it's quite a drive from Akron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great daily specialsredgar52VIPDined on 9/4/2014I work near Benders and go there frequently for lunch. What is wonderful is that every day they have new lunch specials which they switch up with the seasons, etc. This past week I had a new dish that I've never seen on the menu before and it was fabulous. The food is always fantastic and the service exceptional. You can't go wrong dining here for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Always greatKaSELDined on 8/22/2014Bender's never disappoints. We especially love eating at a booth in the bar area. The service is great, we like the wine list & recommendations, and the food is consistently outstanding. Any family we have that moved away always wants to dine here when they're back in town, and it's one of our go-to places. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the Best in CantonOhioFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Bender's is a Canton institution for a reason. It is the best in the Canton area. There are many, many locally-owned fine dining restaurants in Canton. There is quite a competition for second, but none compares with Benders. The wine list is exceptional. The service is outstanding. The location is great. The food is the highest quality. You will need a reservation. Come prepared for a wonderful dining experience. The turtle soup is classic. Incredible steaks and seafood. Appetizers you cannot find anywhere else. But most importantly, the staff makes you welcome, comfortable and appreciated.Special Features:
- 1st time visitmich73Dined on 8/22/2014My girlfriend & I just made our first visit to Bender's Tavern. We were not disappointed -- our dining experience lived up to everything we have heard about this restaurant. The interior with all of the wood & stained glass was beautiful. The food -- awh yes, the food was absolutely delicious! Fantastic quality & generous portions, left no room for dessert, unfortunately! The service was excellent too, by the way!! I highly recommend Bender's & look forward to the next time there!!!Special Features:
- you only get me once1never2Dined on 8/21/2014the maître d' was snooty, sat us next to the kitchen at a 2 top when all other couples were seated at 4 tops and the place was NOT packed! the waitress (the youngest one there) was a delight. the others seemed just like the maître d'. the food was good, just not what we expect to have at a nice restaurant.
- Over all just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014We went there for our 32nd anniversary. I was a bit concerned that I was over dressed when we walked in because you must enter through the bar and everyone was in blue jeans and t-shirts. But then we went into the dining room everyone was dressed nicer. The host was very nice and friendly. But our waiter was old and no personality. I ordered the stuffed flounder. The flounder was very thin wrapped around the crab meat. I could hardly taste the flounder, it was overpowered by the crab. My husband has the sirloin which was pretty good. After dinner, Waite never offered to show us the dessert menu. He brought us one bowl of ice cram with peanut butter sauce on it & a candle inside. Very nice, but neither of us like peanut butter!
- YOU PAY FOR GOOD FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Always good, but not cheap. Disappointed with the hot bacon dressing on the spinach salad--GELATANOUS and bitter--only negative mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014A wonderful dining experience. Great for seafood and wonderful special preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great a BendersScottDined on 8/15/2014Fine lunch...per usual, the food at Benders is the best....walleye with charmoula and hummus sensational. Smoked salmon appetizer great! Dennis, our waiter, a true pro and lots of personality. Owners Jon and Jerry welcomed us and thanked us. Vermillion red wine from Keplinget vineyard great.Special Features:
- Love this historic establishmentSongbirdDined on 8/11/2014The food is great, the service is great. Love the history of this establishment - it tells a story about an historic era.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in CantonNedly1953Dined on 8/6/2014The food was great. The atmosphere excellent. Service was vert good. Over all, very good value. If you forced me to say something negative, I would say the waitress could have been better, but her attentiveness to our needs was very good. We will recommend and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlpacaDined on 8/6/2014Service was a little slower than expected, Food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014A favorite in my wife's hometown. Tough to get a reservation but worth the effort. Spinach with hot bacon dressing, steaks were great, and the famous Bender fries are worth the entire trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedKidfreeforthenightDined on 8/1/2014We were sat at a small table against a wall in a large back room with paper place mats. Our entrees were served on two seperate small plates and were small servings. The good was ok, I just expected it to be a little nicer of a resturant for the price of the food.
- Nice break from PGA tournamentSt8wrkrDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I look forward each year to slipping down to Canton / Bender's to enjoy a fantastic dinner. Service is personable and attentive. Menu is overwhelming and vibrant, with many great choices. Any fish entre is going to be top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BubbaDined on 7/26/2014I have been going to Benders since I was a child and I am now 70 years old. It is by far one of my very favorite places to eat and through the years has remained so.Special Features:
- excellence in CantonjohnbDined on 7/26/2014Canton is more that Belden chain restaurants. This is as good as most big city venues. The seafood is as good as the coasts. The wine list is superb. Many recommended wine selections are reasonably priced and are fun to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eventPaulfiiDined on 7/25/2014The food and wine selection are always excellent. The Prime Rib on Friday and Saturday is always wonderful and the seafood is the best in town - always. You have to try the turtle soup - incredible. The Camp Kagel Walleye is to die for - give it a try. Service is always exceptional but "Stormy" was incredible on Friday - delightful, attentive, knowledgeable and as cute as her name.Special Features:
- 50 th Birthday CelebrationFrequentdinerDined on 7/21/2014Nick ( works every night but Thursday) set our group up in quiet back room to open gifts, sing happy birthday and eat cake. The food was fantastic! ( Always is every time we are there). Luv the place! Nicky's service was AWESOME! The homemade peanut butter topping for ice cream with cake was divine! Best experience! Ask for Nick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent & DeliciousCantonOhVIPDined on 7/16/2014We dine here often and it is always the first choice when entertaining business clients. As always, you can expect professional, knowledgeable wait staff, excellent specials and standard menu selections such as Halibut a la Foley that redefine what good halibut should be. We had the wild Alaskan Salmon, Halibut, filet, raw oysters, morel mushrooms, beets and finished with a mini's. Washed down with a couple bottles of Jordan. Excellent food, Nick, our waiter did a great job. Benders is what other restaurants should strive to emulate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked itDDSfoodieDined on 7/16/2014Great menu, good specials, if you like seafood with a nice presentation you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Excellent historic restaurant, with "old school" charm and impeccable service. Menu is consistent, dependable with additional daily specials that are exceptional. Dessert is not to be missed either.Special Features:
- My Favorite Local RestaurantRuthieDined on 7/12/2014What a lovely evening! We enjoyed great food and good wine with close friends in an atmosphere that made one want the evening to never end. Thanks to our server, Dennis, the night was perfect!Special Features:
- JeatsDined on 7/9/2014Service and food presentation great!...Did not have deserts available that where on list, a little disappointing. Still one of our favorite dining locations in the area.Special Features:
- Never disappointsCpb135Dined on 6/28/2014We eat at Bender's often and especially love the extensive food and wine offerings. So hard to choose! We are delighted with the new menu format - makes selectiong from the menu so much easier! Bender's was as wonderful during this visit as it always is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated and over priced!!PhilDined on 6/28/2014Service was good. Food was ok at best. I have had a better dining experience and food at the local chain steakhouse for a third of the price! Won't be back and won't recommend Bender$!!!
- onceinawhileDined on 6/21/2014Food and service were very good! Would go back again on special occasion.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantCpb135Dined on 6/20/2014As always Benders features stellar food and service - by far the best in the canton area! They offer an extensive menu and an excellent choice of wines. Offerings are seasonally adjusted and the seafood is exceptionally fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!LovemyfoodDined on 6/16/2014This place was great and the food was wonderful. The food only got 4 stars as my steak didn't have much seasoning at all. Aside from that, however, the food was fabulous and tender. The server did an amazing job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local TreasureBendersisfantasticDined on 6/14/2014There are not many restaurants in the world that measure up to Benders! Seafood is as good as it gets and who would guess that being located in Canton, Ohio. We live on the Gulf coast of Florida during the winter and can't find any better seafood than Benders. It is a local gem! Thanks Jerry, Jim and family for your great establishment. BillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft Shell Perfection!Candysmom16Dined on 6/14/2014I eagerly await soft shell season, and especially at Bender's as they are perfectly sautéed, and the Bender fries are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual but high end food & servicemrdineeDined on 6/12/2014great food,knowledgeable and polished service. wonderful for relaxing dinner. good seafood seems hard to find...but many options available here...my husband had a steak and it was done correctly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014We brought dear friends of ours for their "first" dining experience T Bender's....they LOVED it!!! Mary was her normal outstanding self and made the evening even more enjoyable. We introduced Jerry to the couple and specifically telling him it was their first time at Benders. No "welcome".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming from outside; worth tryGoodeatsDined on 6/4/2014We had the shrimp quiche special which was very good and suggested. Also the lemoncello cheesecake was fantastic. It is good to share. Very light and fresh. Overall the ambiance is old urban tavern style. It looked like a place that would smell musty but it doesn't smell musty. it just has that feel. It is not dirty but just an old tavern. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 112 year old - a community treasureSavoryDanDined on 5/31/2014Benders should be on everyone's must-try list. My grandfather had a small café in Barberton and Wadsworth and raved about dining at Benders and it's contemporary competitor, two blocks away called Mergus's. Benders has survived and thrived. When your foot feels the well worn sandstone front step, you realize that many diners have passed this way before you. Their expansive list of seafood is the attraction for me. The sea bass on top of the hummus with a spicy chermula sauce keeps me coming back. Our friends enjoyed their swordfish - as savory as Lois promised it would be. Lois was very cordial and helpful. She's tasted everything on the menu and guided us, without hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BendersDeniseDined on 5/31/2014Our dinners were absolutely delicious-scallops were wonderful! Our server was extremely attentive and polite. We were celebrating a special occasion and certainly chose the right place.Special Features:
- My favorite Stark Co. restaurantDrTimDined on 5/28/2014Still one of my favorites. Great seafood, attentive service, wonderful menu. Not perfect, but close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to place in CantonSparkyVIPDined on 5/23/2014I travel extensively throughout the country with my job and eat at some of the finish restaurants in the country. Benders to me is right up there with any of the most high end restaurants I have dinned at.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2014I took my wife to Benders to celebrate her birthday. We expected quiet and romantic ambience with great food and service. What we received: Seating next to a large group of loud business men (numerous other tables available), a non-existent waitress, bad appetizers, salads swimming in dressing, and undercooked steaks. Even the desserts were a disappointment. All for the bargain basement price of $130. I wanted this to be special for my wife, so I just smiled and made the best of it.