137 Court Ave. SW
Canton, OH 44702Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bendersrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (330) 453-8424
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 9:15 pm, Friday: 4:00 pm - 10:15 pm, Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:15 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Carl Falcone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bender"s has three private dining areas to choose from. The Original Ladies Dining Room will host up to 65 people for sit down dining. The rooms original mosaic tile floor, dark wood walls and an original dry bar creates a wonderful atmosphere for a smaller business function or rehearsal that would need space for cocktail hour or hors d'oeurves. The Green Room will host up to 50 for a sit down dining or becomes a great space for a smaller event that requires A/V equipment, or a smaller feel for a special occasion. The Private Back Main area will seat up to 16 for sit down dining. The space is ideal for a small birthday party, business function or special event. Bender's service and culinary staff prides itself on serving large groups with individual attention to personal needs and quality efficient service.
- Private Party Contact: Jon Jacob 3304538424x
- Cross Street: 2nd St. SW
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: In the evening (Dinner) parking is available directly across from the restaurant on the corner of 2nd St. SW and Court Ave. SW. Street Parking is also available. Day time (Lunch)parking is available on the street metered parking & the parking lot directly across from the restaurant(minimum of $22 purchase to receive validated parking in this lot.)
A word from Bender's Tavern
Located in the Historic District of downtown Canton, Bender's Restaurant offers its customers an elegant, relaxing atmosphere where one can enjoy fine food and wine. Bender's has been satisfying customers with culinary classics, drink and hospitality since 1902. Today we continue our long tradition by offering only the highest quality seafood fresh from Foley Fish in Boston, MA. If you are looking for beef, Bender's consistently serves only the highest quality beef. Known nationally for the extensive and moderately priced wine list, owner Jerry Jacob's forty years of experience tasting and selecting wines will certainly impress your palate. We pride ourselves on serving seasonal culinary delights and fine wines. Please stop by and see us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bender's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Canton ›
Bender's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (37)good for groups (35)great for lunch (30)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014If you want great seafood, Benders is a must stop.Our server Aimee was knowledgeable, attentive, and helped make the evening all the more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Quality with Outstanding Food & ServiceneohiodinerDined on 11/15/2014One of our favorite restaurants, if you love wine, this is an underrated restaurant when it comes to wine, in my opinion, what is on the menu and off the menu, one of the best wine selections in NE Ohio. Fish is always top notch and very reasonably priced for the quality of food. I am always amazed that we can get a table here and on the way to dine we drive by The Strip at Belden Village and chuckle at the people eating at the awful chain restaurants waiting in line. If you want to eat well and drink well, you owe it to yourself to eat at Benders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedLuv2eatDined on 11/8/2014Benders came highly recommended and the food and service lived up to and exceeded my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious EveningWinnieDined on 11/6/2014As always, when we are entertaining out of town guests, we know we will have amazing food at Benders. We were very happy with our meals and our friends also loved everything. Benders hits that sweet spot between a timeless environment and really good food. There will always be new restaurants trying to find their way and their niche, but Benders knows who they are and they are great!Special Features:
- Fantastic cuisine!Hungry4moreDined on 11/1/2014This was my wife's and mine first visit, and we were extraordinarily pleased with the attentive, but yet discrete service, and with the tantalizing and exquisitely tasting dishes. Every dish was uniquely prepared and presentable and delectable with every bite. Exactly what you would expect from a 5-star restaurant, which this restaurant is in our opinion concerning the food and service. The ambiance is what could be improved upon. We will be back......with guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but priceygratitudeDined on 10/31/2014This restaurant was semi-good. We have had better and worse. The food was very expensive for what you got. My husband had the haddock, came out like chicken fingers and I had the steak. The oysters were delicious, but again very pricey for what you got. If I was going out for a similiar meal, I'd rather do Delmonicos or Blue Point for a meal that was comparable in price to this place.
- ExcellentJimmyVIPDined on 10/29/2014Our server was perfect. He took his time and explained the menu. Our meals were perfect. Autum seasoned scallops were melt in you mouth perfect. I would have never paired cranberries and scallops. They were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014food was okay...way too noisey...over-priced..highly doubt I will ever go back
- Great Food and AmbianceDining4funDined on 10/25/2014Love the local color and history present. Food is always to-notch, especially if you like seafood. The service is excellent and good wine list with different specials. Pretty loud is the only downside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- live laugh eatsohbeeDined on 10/25/2014another enjoyable dinner in the magnificent old bar. waitress was an absolute doll, funny, helpful. dinner was delicious. the fish with hummus and hot pepper oil was wonderful. spaghetti squash. a very enjoyable experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MountUnionvisitorDined on 10/18/2014Waitress explained the entire menu. Plently of time, No pressure. Food was excellent. Great atmosphere, oak tables, old fashion tin ceilings, marble walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Combo celebrationFentwanDined on 10/16/2014Went there to celebrate anniversary and both birthdays,food was great,service as we'll.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experience!AbcdDined on 10/11/2014The food, atmosphere, and service were outstanding! My husband and I have never had such great fish before! We enjoyed hearing about the history of the place when we arrived. Our server Mary was not only knowledgable about the menu but very attentive. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bender'sjeanneleeDined on 10/4/2014Bender's has an extensive seafood menu - food and service great! Prices have gone up since we were last there, but quality remains SUPERB.Special Features:
- Still a ClassicCapitolcollectorsDined on 10/3/2014Bender's is a long-time fixture of downtown Canton. Don't let the unassuming exterior put you off. The interior is classic wood and brick creating a warm, vibrant ambiance. And the food matches the interior. Fish and seafood flown in from their New England supplier--yes, to Canton, Ohio! We started with a delicious crab cake appetizer. Then I enjoyed fresh swordfish with a plum topping and spinach Gorgonzola risotto. Fish was perfectly done, moist not dry. My spouse had what he called, "The best prime rib I've had in a long time!" Our knowledgeable, friendly waitress sealed up our remaining Oregon Stoller Pinot for us to take back to our lodging for a nightcap. Visiting the Pro Football Hall of Fame? Include Bender's in your itinerary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafooddivindazeVIPDined on 10/1/2014The three of us had scallops, walleye and halibut cheeks. All were incredible. From martinis to bread pudding, the food was delicious. I enjoyed the ambiance and learning the story of the establishment as well, which is printed on the menus and otherwise available.Special Features:
- As always, a classic deliversMarkVIPDined on 9/26/2014For a classic steakhouse experience in a historic setting check out benders - bring your wallet and your appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Bender's. It's a classic spot for celebrations. But it's also great for everyday lunches and dinners out. Great seafood, steaks and specials. The best wine list in town and great beers. We always enjoy Bender's no matter the occasion.Special Features:
- Always goodSparkyVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have been going to Benders for 30 years and there is no other restaurant that I enjoy more. I travel extensively across the country and Benders remains my favorite.Special Features:
- OutstandingLovetoeatDined on 9/19/2014Went to Benders for my daughter 19 birthday . The food was out of this world I had baked Flounder stuffed with real crabmeat and I savored every bite ! I would highly recommend going there !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasty walk through historyYesPleaseVIPDined on 9/16/2014A great menu is complemented by a rich history and interesting step back in time setting. The servers are all very kind, the food is very good and fairly priced.
- destination diningitwasMEHDined on 9/5/2014Very fresh dishes cooked imaginatively and served in a comfortable, not pretentious, yet elegant atmosphere. Service achieved the perfect balance of unobtrusive yet friendly attention. The historic building is a place I'll take guests to again, even though it's quite a drive from Akron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great daily specialsredgar52VIPDined on 9/4/2014I work near Benders and go there frequently for lunch. What is wonderful is that every day they have new lunch specials which they switch up with the seasons, etc. This past week I had a new dish that I've never seen on the menu before and it was fabulous. The food is always fantastic and the service exceptional. You can't go wrong dining here for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Always greatKaSELDined on 8/22/2014Bender's never disappoints. We especially love eating at a booth in the bar area. The service is great, we like the wine list & recommendations, and the food is consistently outstanding. Any family we have that moved away always wants to dine here when they're back in town, and it's one of our go-to places. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the Best in CantonOhioFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Bender's is a Canton institution for a reason. It is the best in the Canton area. There are many, many locally-owned fine dining restaurants in Canton. There is quite a competition for second, but none compares with Benders. The wine list is exceptional. The service is outstanding. The location is great. The food is the highest quality. You will need a reservation. Come prepared for a wonderful dining experience. The turtle soup is classic. Incredible steaks and seafood. Appetizers you cannot find anywhere else. But most importantly, the staff makes you welcome, comfortable and appreciated.Special Features:
- 1st time visitmich73Dined on 8/22/2014My girlfriend & I just made our first visit to Bender's Tavern. We were not disappointed -- our dining experience lived up to everything we have heard about this restaurant. The interior with all of the wood & stained glass was beautiful. The food -- awh yes, the food was absolutely delicious! Fantastic quality & generous portions, left no room for dessert, unfortunately! The service was excellent too, by the way!! I highly recommend Bender's & look forward to the next time there!!!Special Features:
- you only get me once1never2Dined on 8/21/2014the maître d' was snooty, sat us next to the kitchen at a 2 top when all other couples were seated at 4 tops and the place was NOT packed! the waitress (the youngest one there) was a delight. the others seemed just like the maître d'. the food was good, just not what we expect to have at a nice restaurant.
- Over all just okayDinnersonmeDined on 8/21/2014We went there for our 32nd anniversary. I was a bit concerned that I was over dressed when we walked in because you must enter through the bar and everyone was in blue jeans and t-shirts. But then we went into the dining room everyone was dressed nicer. The host was very nice and friendly. But our waiter was old and no personality. I ordered the stuffed flounder. The flounder was very thin wrapped around the crab meat. I could hardly taste the flounder, it was overpowered by the crab. My husband has the sirloin which was pretty good. After dinner, Waite never offered to show us the dessert menu. He brought us one bowl of ice cram with peanut butter sauce on it & a candle inside. Very nice, but neither of us like peanut butter!
- YOU PAY FOR GOOD FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Always good, but not cheap. Disappointed with the hot bacon dressing on the spinach salad--GELATANOUS and bitter--only negative mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014A wonderful dining experience. Great for seafood and wonderful special preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great a BendersScottDined on 8/15/2014Fine lunch...per usual, the food at Benders is the best....walleye with charmoula and hummus sensational. Smoked salmon appetizer great! Dennis, our waiter, a true pro and lots of personality. Owners Jon and Jerry welcomed us and thanked us. Vermillion red wine from Keplinget vineyard great.Special Features:
- Love this historic establishmentSongbirdDined on 8/11/2014The food is great, the service is great. Love the history of this establishment - it tells a story about an historic era.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in CantonNedly1953Dined on 8/6/2014The food was great. The atmosphere excellent. Service was vert good. Over all, very good value. If you forced me to say something negative, I would say the waitress could have been better, but her attentiveness to our needs was very good. We will recommend and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlpacaDined on 8/6/2014Service was a little slower than expected, Food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014A favorite in my wife's hometown. Tough to get a reservation but worth the effort. Spinach with hot bacon dressing, steaks were great, and the famous Bender fries are worth the entire trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Bender's TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014Iconic tavern in downtown Canton, frequented by locals and tourists alike. Good food and extensive wine list. Friendly bar staff. Dinner server seemed a little overwhelmed. Interesting historic decor. Best of the downtown dining options. On site parking a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedKidfreeforthenightDined on 8/1/2014We were sat at a small table against a wall in a large back room with paper place mats. Our entrees were served on two seperate small plates and were small servings. The good was ok, I just expected it to be a little nicer of a resturant for the price of the food.
- The following 229 reviews are from the Bender's Tavern reviews archive.
- Nice break from PGA tournamentSt8wrkrDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I look forward each year to slipping down to Canton / Bender's to enjoy a fantastic dinner. Service is personable and attentive. Menu is overwhelming and vibrant, with many great choices. Any fish entre is going to be top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BubbaDined on 7/26/2014I have been going to Benders since I was a child and I am now 70 years old. It is by far one of my very favorite places to eat and through the years has remained so.Special Features:
- excellence in CantonjohnbDined on 7/26/2014Canton is more that Belden chain restaurants. This is as good as most big city venues. The seafood is as good as the coasts. The wine list is superb. Many recommended wine selections are reasonably priced and are fun to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.