Benares - West Side
240 West 56th Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Benares - West Side
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.benaresnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 397-0707
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:45pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 9:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Peter Beck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us simplify your party planning. Book your corporate, holiday or any special event at our restaurant and let us take care of all the details.
Our packages are flexible enough for any size event or budget from intimate gatherings to meetings and full blown conferences. We can accommodate break out groups within an event.
We do catering all over the tri-state area. and have special packages for weddings. we offer some discount to various venues in and around NY City. please call our catering office for more details 212.960.8483
- Private Party Facilities: Benares is the perfect place for your next private party event. It is great for functions such as office party, mehendi, and wedding related events.
- Private Party Contact: Inder Singh 8883567073
- Entertainment: none
- Special Events: We can handle total buyouts please call for more information 212.960.8483
A word from Benares - West Side
At Benares, we offer a selection of traditional and regional Indian cuisines that are carefully prepared and presented by our experienced chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Benares - West Side reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)special occasion (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Indian fareWeekenderVIPDined on 11/10/2014The place was convenient after a conference in Midtown West Manhattan. The prices of entrees were less than $30. The ambience was noisy. Our entrees and they took longer than 30 minutes after ordering. Maybe because two or three groups were being taken care and we were only a couple. Many in and out bike take out carriers could have added to the long wait for our two entrees. We had Chicken Tikka Masala and Lamb Safed Gohst. The first had a plum tomato sauce that looked like canned tomato sauce. The Lamb dish could have had more flavor of the spices this dish description says it has (too bland with spice flavor almost gone). A side of rice with peas was fine. Good water servers but we felt ignored by our waiters after we ordered.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Ate early so the restaurant was empty. Oddly had to pay for rice and bread. Food was awesome, which is all I really care about. Cheapest meal we ate despite rice and bread 'tax'.
- Nice placeHappyDined on 11/1/2014Food was excellent comfortable dining casual attire great attentive staff very enjoyable plan to return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food tableMahler2Dined on 10/31/2014Table for 2 is just too small. A table for two with two glasses of water, 2 bottles of beer there is little room for food.Special Features:
- ExcellentrichschustDined on 10/29/2014One of the best meals of Indian food we've experienced. Not the usual list of familiar items in Indian restaurants but genuine and creatve cuisine , very well prepared. The servicer was exemplary. The prices, given the quality, were very reasonable.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindViscountDined on 10/24/2014Very courteous, people but with one or two of the staff members there was some difficulties in communicating, especially as the noise level increased as the restaurant became more livelier. I had the Scallop appetizer and it was a delight. Beautifully plated and fresh. The Shrimp entree was presented very nicely and was eloquently placed with quality shrimp in freshness and size. I would definitely come again on a quieter night.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian by Carnegie HallPDCLarryVIPDined on 10/23/2014Benares has been our choice for Indian cuisine near Carnegie. It has an imaginative menu with several variations on "standard" Indian dining, a good wine and beer list, and impeccable service. And just 5 minutes away from your performance.Special Features:
- DisappointedSailorBobDined on 10/10/2014From the reviews we had read on Open Table we looked forward to a good Indian meal on our recent trip to NYC. The result wasn't what we expected. First, the restaurant was so loud one couldn't even hold a conversation across a table for two. Service was inattentive, and forgetful. Two things we ordered never did arrive. The food when it arrived was lukewarm at best, though tasty. I ordered a second beer which didn't arrive until I was almost finished eating and reminded the waiter who admitted he had forgotten. Overall a disappointing dinner experience. There are a good number of much better Indian restaurants in NYC and I would not recommend this one.
- Authentic Indian cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/25/2014Great Indian food, truly authentic. Aachari gobi was a delight and their sweet lassi is just classic. I went there with a group of Indian friends and we all loved it; hope we have more such restaurants in other cities. The service was excellent as well; very courteous.Special Features:
- CarolSDined on 8/19/2014Nice lunch buffet, at a very reasonable price for mid-town + a friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the money and effortBettiahDined on 8/15/2014There were a number of clues to tell me that I had made the wrong choice, again! Firstly, it was B rated in the NYC Health Inspection. Then the inside was dark and dreary so difficult to see where you are walking, never mind eating. Waiter had to be summoned eventually just to order a drink. Starter kebab looked as if it was cooked a week ago and reheated. When challenged, the waiter "swore on his mothers grave" that it was freshly made. It wasn't. It was dry, sub-Saharan dry, when it should have been succulent and juicy. Then the chicken vindaloo arrived. Wow, it looked as if it was boiled chicken mixed with the "vindaloo sauce" - yes you could have ordered the sauce separately!! We didn't dare try the dessert. Paid $200 for 3.
- Awesome Indian foodSelectiveFoodieDined on 8/7/2014I had taken my colleagues (10 people from 10 different countries) for dinner at Benares and everyone loved the food. I was impressed when they brought the food in 5 mins after the order, but was a bit vary because Indian food takes ages to prepare. All my presumptions faded when I tasted the heavenly food. However, most Indian food (like appetizers and curry) is supposed to be shared and the waiters refused to serve a portion on everybody's plate. I had to move from person to person, serving 3 different curries and 4 appetizers onto each plate.Special Features:
- peasantpalateVIPDined on 8/6/2014OMG! I couldn't stop eating the sag paneer! And the okra! And my husband loved his goat! It was perfect for a pre-show meal before attending a performance at City Center. I did not expect the food to be so good! Thank you!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Curry Chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Great wait/service staff. Excellent attention to detail and buffet selection.Great for groups at lunchtime. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Fab FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Benares has really tasty Indian food at reasonable prices. Dishes are large and good for sharing. I would recommend to anyone who likes good Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 257 reviews are from the Benares - West Side reviews archive.
- Pretty awfulMK83Dined on 7/28/2014Easily the worst Indian buffet I have been to. Dry appetizers with weird overly spiced flavor, and main courses for the buffet were a combination of greasy and completely lacking in flavor. The naan was actually quite good though. Sadly, will not be returning and am desperate for any decent Indian buffet in midtown!
- Lucked outgoodmealpricelessDined on 7/25/2014Very good, found on Trip Adviser, loved the dishes. Can't remember the names of them all, we shared 4 different entree dishes, the chicken with almond and cashew sauce was the best. Great end to our NYC trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Good vegetarian menu, including some dishes that you don't normally see on the standard menu like baingan ki salan (eggplant in a peanut-sesame sauce) and lauki ka kofta (kofta made from cheese and squash). Both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRjp123Dined on 7/19/2014I am a vegetarian, so a good choice for people like me. My wife ordered Dark and Stormy drink, it was one of the best she had, better than one in Jamaica.Special Features:
- Not the best in the cityjezzaDined on 7/15/2014My wife and I met a friend who was in town from Chicago for dinner here. The service overall was good, prompt and efficient though I do have some reservations about their knowledge. I asked about the restaurant specialities and whats good and was recommended the Chicken Tikka Masala which I would rate as poor. The colour was bright (probably could shown in the dark !), the meat was dry and the flavour lacking. The Lamb Rogan Josh was decent, nicely spiced and tender and the best of what we ordered that evening. The Rezala Goat was interesting, my wife liked it more than I - the flavour was ok though some of the meat was a bit tough. There are many better places in the city unfortunately.
- Great Service, Pretty Good FoodFloridaFamilyDined on 7/11/2014Went to Benares for a pre-theatre meal. The service was excellent. The portions are quite large for an Indian restaurant. My husband and I were there with our two teenage daughters and we all enjoyed the meal. We all left the restaurant saying it was pretty good, but not the best Indian food we'd ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A buffet lunch of Indian cuisinePatsyVIPDined on 7/2/2014For a very reasonable price, one can enjoy a full buffet of excellent choices of meats and includes rice, chutneys and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian in Theater DistrictCitygirlVIPDined on 6/26/2014We usually get great great Indian food on the east side, but wanted some before a show. Benares food was excellent, had some unusual dishes and the service was very good. Not very crowded. It's a little north for the theater district, but still convenient to any show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- punchVIPDined on 6/25/2014I ate here before going to the Manhattan Theater Club at City Center It is a find in this area in that the food is really good, good ambiance and moderately priced. Although i thought the Pakora's were just OK I really enjoyed the Saag Paneer and I judge Indian restaurants by this dish. The service was excellent and they were so accommodating and helpful when it came to our eating restrictions. My friend is Vegan and I am Gluten Free. They helped us with the menu and made special dishes for my friend. I would recommend this restaurant and I will absolutely go back when in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Great group dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014Had a dinner of 24 people at Benares, and they were really great!Special Features:
- Girls night outYvette101VIPDined on 6/18/2014The food was delicious and the staff was attentive. The only downside was the rice and bread was sold separately. Normally when I go to restaurants this is included in the price.Special Features:
- Good Food, Great ServiceGoodFoodFanVIPDined on 6/14/2014We enjoyed a variety of appetizers and entrees. While the food items were tasty, all could have more fully spiced, more robust. The service was outstanding. Very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice people, RELAXINGOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014Benares was the only meal I had in Manhattan where I wasn't sitting right on top of the other tables/guests. It was also quiet and serene by Manhattan standards. The place was not dead, there were 5-6 tables and maybe 25 guests when my wife and I arrived, but it was a mellow place to eat. The team service was very good. I never looked at an empty plate. They cleaned the table between courses. My wife had two cocktails that she said were very well made. I ate too much but everything was very good. I also feel it was reasonably priced considering the location and the level of service. I would go there again without hesitation.
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014capped off by delicious Indian food. Poori was enormous and Lamb Tikka Masala delicious. Definitely would go back again.Special Features:
- Nothing fancy but good foodStSimonDined on 6/4/2014Attentive service, reasonable prices, good food. Not a fancy setting but if you just want some good Indian food then definitely try Benares. Asked our server to order for us after telling him our preferences. We got cumin rice, chicken curry and eggplant in a peanut based sauce. All were good! Gulab jamun was ok but I have had better. Would return anytime we want some Indian food in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff talked too much. Exhausting.overpricedVIPDined on 5/31/2014Generous portions. Crab appetizer excellent. Tikka masala was too sweet and did not include rice or naan. From the Host to the servers they talked to us WAY too much. What movie we saw, what nationality we were, what language we spoke, how we had just made a reservation on opentable. Then despite asking 3-4 different people they still did not bring the bill. Answering all their questions felt intrusive, exhausting, and made me wonder if I came to talk to my friend over dinner or the staff at the restaurant. Ambiance nice, clean. Other people of Indian descent also at -good sign. Tikka masala too sweet & heavy, I prefer mine light & salty. I was surprised no sides were offered such as dahl, and that rice and naan were not included. Pricey.Special Features:
- A Bit of a DisappointmentLCHPDined on 5/28/2014I was very much looking forward to dining at Benares as the reviews for the restaurant were strong. Unfortunately my experience was not altogether positive. Perhaps because I was late in arriving to meet my date, the waiter hovered around our table as I perused the menu. My questions were met with suggestions rather than answers, and I allowed myself to be steered to the sea bass. The dish while tasty was heavy, not at all what I was looking for. My date ordered the lamb vindaloo and by my impression he enjoyed it. We did order appetizers which were ample and satisfactory, not outstanding. The portions are quite large. My suggestion is to order with that in mind.
- Excellent!ShudainVIPDined on 5/25/2014This was an excellent place with a slightly different menu than typical Indian restaurants (I am Indian and I can basically mouth off the dishes that you will find). We tried a few different dishes that we hadn't ever seen on the menu and everything was exceptional. Their Chicken was by far the best I've ever had an Indian restaurant (we tried a few varieties). This will definitely be a place that I come back to...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Food!FoodieDined on 5/22/2014Excellent food and service! Great authentic Indian dining...lot of selection from mild to very spicy. Attentive service and I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian food, great valueDancerToesDined on 5/20/2014This was an excellent evening out for dinner. The food was very authentic. I had a chicken curry, and my husband had a lamb dish. Both were delicious as was the spiced rice. The wait staff were very friendly, attentive but unintrusive. We will definitely eat here again when we are in NY, and recommend it to friends. The prices were very reasonable; we felt we got more than our money's worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodguy11976VIPDined on 5/18/201412.95 for all you can eat in Manhattan can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueMattVIPDined on 5/17/2014Reasonable prices, tasty food. crab & fish dishes were great
- BenaresFarlaeRaeDined on 5/17/2014I found this Resteraunt through Open Table and was very happy with it. It appealed to everyone in my party of 10. I had made a reservation a few days prior and when we showed up the table was ready and waiting. The wait staff was very friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food & accomodating serviceMtanneyVIPDined on 5/16/2014Came with a group of eight for dinner before a concert at Carnegie Hall. Food was solid, service was fantastic, and the staff was accommodating of our tight time constraint. Also had large vegetarian selection. Will come back here again for dinner and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good dinner and a good time.DelossDined on 5/7/2014My friend is a vegetarian, so I wanted someplace we could have dinner in the theater district. BENARES on 56th Street was as close to perfect as one could wish. The staff was exceptionally polite, the restaurant is new, clean and quiet, and the food was excellent. There was a very large selection of vegetarian dishes, and the appetizer somosas were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.