Benares - Tribeca
45 Murray Street
New York, NY 10007Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Benares - Tribeca
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.benaresnyc.com/tribeca/index.php?action=page&id=1976&location_id=25
- Phone: (212) 766-4900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:45pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Benares - Tribeca
At Benares, we offer a selection of traditional and regional Indian cuisines that are carefully prepared and presented by our experienced chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Benares - Tribeca - Best Restaurants in TriBeCa - Downtown ›
Benares - Tribeca reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (10)great for lunch (9)special occasion (5)romantic (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Service not on par with the food.DouiVIPDined on 11/14/2014Although the food is delicious, unusual, and artfully seasoned, the ambiance and service can be frustrating. Our waiter seemed to have no knowledge of the menu, and tried to dissuade us from ordering our first choices, steering us to the novice " greatest hits". Fortunately, we didn't follow his advice, and ended up with some excellent dishes. However, he incorrectly packed our leftovers, and the vegetarian in our party went home with goat stew. As for ambiance, the acoustics are terrible and the sound level is deafening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall GREAT experienceJaneSVIPDined on 11/7/2014I live in the neighborhood and come to Benares often. It never disappoints! The service is truly exceptional, from drink recommendations to constant, but not intrusive, attention. I've tried about five different cocktails and they are all unique and delicious. The atmosphere strikes the perfect balance between energetic but still quiet enough to have an intimate meal. Perfect for small groups or a romantic date. Food is incredible. My favorite appetizer is the crab and go-to entrees are gobhi jaipuri and chicken tikka masala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid cuisine, cool roomOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Extensive menu of well-prepared indian cuisine, no disappointments. Stylish room, great indian lounge music, moderately priced. Roomy and comfortable, great for dinner and conversation.Special Features:
- FlavorfulNancyBoyDined on 10/25/2014We were looking for a new Indian place downtown and we found a new favorite. The food burst with flavor and color. The staff were attentive and never let our glasses empty. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian everDreamchaserDined on 10/15/2014Had a most enjoyable evening on a recent visit. Food and service were both outstanding. We shared a couple of different dishes including the chicken vindaloo, chicken tikka masala and lamb Laal maans. Would recommend all of them. Topped off with the rose petal ice cream. Amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!HarryDined on 10/11/2014After a day at the Aire Spa we chose this fantastic restaurant. Everthing we ordered was delicious. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Experience PerfectionBenaresDined on 9/4/2014This was the second time dining at Benares, and we had just as an amazing time as the first visit. The service is extraordinary making you feel like a VIP guest. The food is amazing with the perfect spice blend to optimize the flavor balance in every bite. The ambiance is very polished and perfect for dining before a night on the town or after a show; or even as the night on the town itself. I plan to be a regular customer every time I am in NYC.Special Features:
- Really Good Food!enjoygoodfoodVIPDined on 9/4/2014There were a lot of Indian families and couples eating here, so that was a good sign ! The food was brought out very quickly, which is fine. They didn't rush us, it was just hard not to eat it all so fast. It was really yummy. Had the Chicken Curry and the Tikki Masala and Different breads and rice. The drinks were made well. The price is certainly a bargain for this neighborhood in NY. The service was fine for this establishment. Will definitely go back for the food ! The dessert list looked good. Will try next time.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantGabrielDined on 8/12/2014Great food service and consistent. The employees appreciate their customers - it's a great local restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a Findmcm1049VIPDined on 8/4/2014Benares continues to be a breath of fresh air in the community of TriBeCa Indian restaurants. Offering a creative selection of prix fixe meals as well as a full menu, the food never fails to satisfy and the service and hospitality from the hosts to the waitstaff is impeccable. One of my favorites.Special Features:
- The following 86 reviews are from the Benares - Tribeca reviews archive.
- Dependably gooddavewDined on 7/17/2014our go to neighborhood place for indian. the service is prompt. the place is clean and the food is tatsy. love the biryani and the bindi. chicken dishes are all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappiontedNYCHKSGHgalDined on 6/28/2014Given the great reviews I wanted to try this spot - and I am sorry I did. First there are two locations - midtown and TriBeCa -- I was running late and by accident called the Midtown location to inform them as such and they told me on the phone that no way did I have a reservation for the TriBeCa spot as it was closed for a private event!! Well that was half right - TriBeCa location was open and they had our table BUT there was a huge table of dinners - at least 15 or 20 which did not make the atmosphere endearing ... and then the food. Wow what a disappointment. Food was definitely pre prepared and proteins used were frozen - not fresh. Even the desserts tasted old. Guess the kitchen was focused on the large group only. Won't go again.Special Features:
- HisandHers - BenaresHisandHersReviewsDined on 6/20/2014HisandHers date night review: (My boyfriend loves Indian food and I wanted to treat him for his birthday on a Friday night.) Our waiter was inattentive and was always running off, making it difficult to complete our order. Mid-meal they switched our server and he was much better. The restaurant had a nice ambiance, it was quiet enough to hear the person across from you. The lighting was a little dark, but didn't take away from our overall dining experience. He - ordered the ahi tuna and absolutely loved it. She - Indian is not my favorite cuisine but I enjoyed my meal. I ordered the jumbo prawn in the coconut milk curry with a side of naan. The flavors certainly jump out at you. We would recommend this restaurant and go back again.Special Features:
- Very good mealFood4lifeDined on 6/20/2014Attractive surroundings, very friendly and attentive staff. The food was quite good. We went for my son's birthday (27 yrs old) and they spontaneously created a lovely dessert replete with candle! I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodcfixDined on 6/11/2014Seating is tight. But the food tastes authentic and delcious.Special Features:
- Great Indian Food in TribecaVickiDined on 4/26/2014Had friends who came to NYC looking for Indian food. Booked based on OpenTable reviews and was not disappointed. I loved the biryani rice and had a very strong speciality drink to wash it down with. High recommended.Special Features:
- We had a lovely dinner atJojoVIPDined on 4/9/2014We had a lovely dinner at Benares. The food was delicious and the staff was attentive. The restaurant is beautiful and peaceful.Special Features:
- Indian Cuisine at its bestDinnerLabVIPDined on 4/7/2014The folks at Benares know what they are doing, however beware some of their staff are somewhat judgmental. The food and everything else including the ambiance were up to par. I highly recommend their chicken tikka masala and the servers were polite. The only thing that was really disappointing and it really hurts me to say because i wanted to give the place 5 stars was the way i was initially treated. I came dressed in a denim jacket and jeans cause I didn't have time to change. Automatically despite my open table reservation for two I was seated in a secluded 4 seater even though there were many 2 seaters and booths towards the front of the restaurant. I was hurt didn't affect the amazing food however (definitely a must try for foodies).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014From the wait staff to the owner-everyone is really friendly! The food is amazing. Seriously-everything we have ever ordered there is always perfect! Don't forget to order the Nan and the dishes come with complemtary rice. Tikka masala and chillie chicken are my favorite go-to'so here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benares has the best serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014Benares has the best service and ambience I have ever experienced at an Indian restaurant. The food was beyond what I would normally expect from Indian cuisine. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall it was a very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Overall it was a very pleasant experience! really enjoyed the all the food served according to the lunch buffet! for only $12.95 they give A LOT! also must make this special note: the service was EXCELLENT! the waiters were really nice and patient! our group was big n we took some time deciding what we want and the whole time they kept refilling the cool stuff they serve with sauces they serve uoy right away after you are placed in a table! they served really fast and kept refilling the naans and rice and sauces! LOVED the visit! will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Nice little spotMCallNYDined on 3/11/2014Had dinner at Benares on a Tuesday at 6pm. It was clean, and nicely lit, with eager to help staff. Drinks were delicious, food was very good. Try the scallops to start and anything curried as an entree. The bread basket offers a varied selection of nan and otherwise breads, all very delicious. Waitstaff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive without being overbearing. Overall, a very pleasant dinner. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Good Food, Portions & Price!!MpasVIPDined on 2/27/2014Happy Hour and lunch menu awesome!! Delicious food and good variety of different items!! Overall very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Indian restaurantsravitalasilaDined on 2/22/2014The food was delicious. When I said delicious it has the originality of Indian taste unlike other Indian restaurants, the dish doesnt taste the originality of what its supposed to. They modify the dish and call it a name which is not true. The manager of the restaurant was really courteous and professional in greeting customers, checking on them, waiters are very professional and my overall experience is A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a great find. Well-executeMikeVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was a great find. Well-executed Indian food from a menu which included the "traditional favorites" but also had a range of choices not typically found at the local curry house. The food was presented very well, and the serving staff were most attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diverse, interesting menuTribecafoodieVIPDined on 2/9/2014The restaurant offers a varied menu with well cooked and interesting dishes from various parts of the country, and has not made the mistake of offering entree style plated meals which simply don't work with Indian meals. Spacious seating, attentive and friendly service, and though pricey, quantities match so it evens out. The best Indian restaurant in Tribeca. The Kerala crab curry and the Baigan and Mirch ka Salon are delicious!! The bhel puri was freshly assembled and therefore, not soggy. The goat curry could have been more tender, though. The dishes from South India are more unusual and interesting, overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAlishaDined on 2/7/2014I had a great time at Benares. The food was tasty and the ambience was great. I will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Downtown DiscoveryJFJrVIPDined on 2/6/2014A wonderful experience on a cold winter's night near City Hall. Attentive and prompt service, yet never hurrying. All the food was delicious, with many interesting dishes remaining to be tasted next time. Generous portions, reasonable prices. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAKestDined on 2/1/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. My boyfriend and I were in a rush to see a show so we told the waiter and he made sure we got our food very quickly as not to be late. The ambiance was nice with dim lighting/candles. Overall, my experience here was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention and service orientedDrenaVIPDined on 1/31/2014The staff is well dressed and groomed. I received a warm genuine greeting and was promptly seated. I feel the restaurant has a very strong focus in customer service and were very attentive without being overbearing. We both enjoyed our meals and drinks. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food I've had in yearsDanerVIPDined on 1/9/2014I'm VERY particular about my Indian food. I will eat it if it isn't great, but it will be judged and generally I don't return to most places in the city. However! Benares has basically become the food in which I now compare all other places to, replacing my original go-to restaurant. If i could, I would eat here all the time, but it's a bit out of the way so for now will have to do for the occasional spice-fix. Everything is amazing, EVERYTHING! Malai kofta, chicken tikka masala, the little crunchy things they give you when you sit down, the bread, all of it is delicious!Special Features:
- One of the best Indian cuisines!denyDined on 12/25/2013As Indian food lover, I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting New York. The taste is real authentic Indian. My family and I had Lamb Biryanu rice. We asked them to eggs because it wasn't on the menu, and they cooked them half-boiled just like we wanted. The Rogan Josh is also recommended. We also had potatoes with cauliflowers cooked together, I forgot the name, that one too was very delicious. We would definitely come back before our holiday ends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/17/2013With various similar restaurants in the neighborhood, Benares faces stiff competition from its brethren such as the upscale Tamarind Tribeca or even the more modest buffet-style Salaam Bombay.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/17/2013I enjoyed the tasty food and the courteous service. The fixed price vegetarian lunch was a good choice This was my 2nd visit. I mentioned it to my wife and she plans to go with a friend in the coming days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest and straightforward Indian!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/10/2013Great indian restaurant near WTC and 9/11 memorial. Would like a bit more heat in the spice, but still really good food and nice wide menu with solid Indian food. Our "rookies" to Indian food really liked it and we veterans did as well. Attentive service as well. Had the chicken vindaloo, very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love indian foodlovefoodDined on 12/8/2013This place was a pleasant surprise as it was a last minute substitution for another indian place which had closed. Huge booths with high backs so each table feels like a romantic getaway. Service was great and the prices are very affordable. The waitstaff was friendly and courteous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameLive4yumVIPDined on 12/7/2013The food was not as good as I remember from my first visit to this restaurant. The last time we went, the waiter had recommended amazing tasting dishes. We thought we had ordered the same dishese according to our waiter but they did not taste nor look the same. Very disappointed.
- Nice neighborhood IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/23/2013Great people. Nice, warm, inviting greeting and service. Ate on my own recently. Took good care of me with 1/2 order of Dal (very good) and Rogan Josh. Will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will return oftenKensingtonDined on 11/20/2013Delicious, innovative Indian cuisine supported by knowledgeable and attentive servers. Loved every bite. Baby eggplant a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really, really tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013Had an excellent vegetarian lunch - delicious chaat and wonderful eggplant. The only sour note was asking for hot tea. They didn't jasmine and then I asked for green w/honey. They had green tea but no honey. I ordered the hot tea they had and he cup was small. When I asked for more tea they didn't tell me that would be another $4. Two cups of tea for $8 - I won't make that mistake again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.