Benares - Tribeca
45 Murray Street
New York, NY 10007Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Benares - Tribeca
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.benaresnyc.com/tribeca/index.php?action=page&id=1976&location_id=25
- Phone: 2127664900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:45pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Benares - Tribeca
At Benares, we offer a selection of traditional and regional Indian cuisines that are carefully prepared and presented by our experienced chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Benares - Tribeca reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (12)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (6)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great neighborhood restaurantGabrielDined on 8/12/2014Great food service and consistent. The employees appreciate their customers - it's a great local restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably gooddavewDined on 7/17/2014our go to neighborhood place for indian. the service is prompt. the place is clean and the food is tatsy. love the biryani and the bindi. chicken dishes are all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappiontedNYCHKSGHgalDined on 6/28/2014Given the great reviews I wanted to try this spot - and I am sorry I did. First there are two locations - midtown and TriBeCa -- I was running late and by accident called the Midtown location to inform them as such and they told me on the phone that no way did I have a reservation for the TriBeCa spot as it was closed for a private event!! Well that was half right - TriBeCa location was open and they had our table BUT there was a huge table of dinners - at least 15 or 20 which did not make the atmosphere endearing ... and then the food. Wow what a disappointment. Food was definitely pre prepared and proteins used were frozen - not fresh. Even the desserts tasted old. Guess the kitchen was focused on the large group only. Won't go again.Special Features:
- HisandHers - BenaresHisandHersReviewsDined on 6/20/2014HisandHers date night review: (My boyfriend loves Indian food and I wanted to treat him for his birthday on a Friday night.) Our waiter was inattentive and was always running off, making it difficult to complete our order. Mid-meal they switched our server and he was much better. The restaurant had a nice ambiance, it was quiet enough to hear the person across from you. The lighting was a little dark, but didn't take away from our overall dining experience. He - ordered the ahi tuna and absolutely loved it. She - Indian is not my favorite cuisine but I enjoyed my meal. I ordered the jumbo prawn in the coconut milk curry with a side of naan. The flavors certainly jump out at you. We would recommend this restaurant and go back again.Special Features:
- Very good mealFood4lifeDined on 6/20/2014Attractive surroundings, very friendly and attentive staff. The food was quite good. We went for my son's birthday (27 yrs old) and they spontaneously created a lovely dessert replete with candle! I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodcfixDined on 6/11/2014Seating is tight. But the food tastes authentic and delcious.Special Features:
- The following 81 reviews are from the Benares - Tribeca reviews archive.
- Great Indian Food in TribecaVickiDined on 4/26/2014Had friends who came to NYC looking for Indian food. Booked based on OpenTable reviews and was not disappointed. I loved the biryani rice and had a very strong speciality drink to wash it down with. High recommended.Special Features:
- We had a lovely dinner atJojoVIPDined on 4/9/2014We had a lovely dinner at Benares. The food was delicious and the staff was attentive. The restaurant is beautiful and peaceful.Special Features:
- Indian Cuisine at its bestDinnerLabDined on 4/7/2014The folks at Benares know what they are doing, however beware some of their staff are somewhat judgmental. The food and everything else including the ambiance were up to par. I highly recommend their chicken tikka masala and the servers were polite. The only thing that was really disappointing and it really hurts me to say because i wanted to give the place 5 stars was the way i was initially treated. I came dressed in a denim jacket and jeans cause I didn't have time to change. Automatically despite my open table reservation for two I was seated in a secluded 4 seater even though there were many 2 seaters and booths towards the front of the restaurant. I was hurt didn't affect the amazing food however (definitely a must try for foodies).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014From the wait staff to the owner-everyone is really friendly! The food is amazing. Seriously-everything we have ever ordered there is always perfect! Don't forget to order the Nan and the dishes come with complemtary rice. Tikka masala and chillie chicken are my favorite go-to'so here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benares has the best serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014Benares has the best service and ambience I have ever experienced at an Indian restaurant. The food was beyond what I would normally expect from Indian cuisine. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall it was a very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Overall it was a very pleasant experience! really enjoyed the all the food served according to the lunch buffet! for only $12.95 they give A LOT! also must make this special note: the service was EXCELLENT! the waiters were really nice and patient! our group was big n we took some time deciding what we want and the whole time they kept refilling the cool stuff they serve with sauces they serve uoy right away after you are placed in a table! they served really fast and kept refilling the naans and rice and sauces! LOVED the visit! will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Nice little spotMCallNYDined on 3/11/2014Had dinner at Benares on a Tuesday at 6pm. It was clean, and nicely lit, with eager to help staff. Drinks were delicious, food was very good. Try the scallops to start and anything curried as an entree. The bread basket offers a varied selection of nan and otherwise breads, all very delicious. Waitstaff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive without being overbearing. Overall, a very pleasant dinner. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Good Food, Portions & Price!!MpasDined on 2/27/2014Happy Hour and lunch menu awesome!! Delicious food and good variety of different items!! Overall very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Indian restaurantsravitalasilaDined on 2/22/2014The food was delicious. When I said delicious it has the originality of Indian taste unlike other Indian restaurants, the dish doesnt taste the originality of what its supposed to. They modify the dish and call it a name which is not true. The manager of the restaurant was really courteous and professional in greeting customers, checking on them, waiters are very professional and my overall experience is A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a great find. Well-executeMikeVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was a great find. Well-executed Indian food from a menu which included the "traditional favorites" but also had a range of choices not typically found at the local curry house. The food was presented very well, and the serving staff were most attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diverse, interesting menuTribecafoodieVIPDined on 2/9/2014The restaurant offers a varied menu with well cooked and interesting dishes from various parts of the country, and has not made the mistake of offering entree style plated meals which simply don't work with Indian meals. Spacious seating, attentive and friendly service, and though pricey, quantities match so it evens out. The best Indian restaurant in Tribeca. The Kerala crab curry and the Baigan and Mirch ka Salon are delicious!! The bhel puri was freshly assembled and therefore, not soggy. The goat curry could have been more tender, though. The dishes from South India are more unusual and interesting, overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAlishaDined on 2/7/2014I had a great time at Benares. The food was tasty and the ambience was great. I will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Downtown DiscoveryJFJrVIPDined on 2/6/2014A wonderful experience on a cold winter's night near City Hall. Attentive and prompt service, yet never hurrying. All the food was delicious, with many interesting dishes remaining to be tasted next time. Generous portions, reasonable prices. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAKestDined on 2/1/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. My boyfriend and I were in a rush to see a show so we told the waiter and he made sure we got our food very quickly as not to be late. The ambiance was nice with dim lighting/candles. Overall, my experience here was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention and service orientedDrenaVIPDined on 1/31/2014The staff is well dressed and groomed. I received a warm genuine greeting and was promptly seated. I feel the restaurant has a very strong focus in customer service and were very attentive without being overbearing. We both enjoyed our meals and drinks. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food I've had in yearsDanerVIPDined on 1/9/2014I'm VERY particular about my Indian food. I will eat it if it isn't great, but it will be judged and generally I don't return to most places in the city. However! Benares has basically become the food in which I now compare all other places to, replacing my original go-to restaurant. If i could, I would eat here all the time, but it's a bit out of the way so for now will have to do for the occasional spice-fix. Everything is amazing, EVERYTHING! Malai kofta, chicken tikka masala, the little crunchy things they give you when you sit down, the bread, all of it is delicious!Special Features:
- One of the best Indian cuisines!denyDined on 12/25/2013As Indian food lover, I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting New York. The taste is real authentic Indian. My family and I had Lamb Biryanu rice. We asked them to eggs because it wasn't on the menu, and they cooked them half-boiled just like we wanted. The Rogan Josh is also recommended. We also had potatoes with cauliflowers cooked together, I forgot the name, that one too was very delicious. We would definitely come back before our holiday ends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/17/2013With various similar restaurants in the neighborhood, Benares faces stiff competition from its brethren such as the upscale Tamarind Tribeca or even the more modest buffet-style Salaam Bombay.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/17/2013I enjoyed the tasty food and the courteous service. The fixed price vegetarian lunch was a good choice This was my 2nd visit. I mentioned it to my wife and she plans to go with a friend in the coming days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest and straightforward Indian!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/10/2013Great indian restaurant near WTC and 9/11 memorial. Would like a bit more heat in the spice, but still really good food and nice wide menu with solid Indian food. Our "rookies" to Indian food really liked it and we veterans did as well. Attentive service as well. Had the chicken vindaloo, very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love indian foodlovefoodDined on 12/8/2013This place was a pleasant surprise as it was a last minute substitution for another indian place which had closed. Huge booths with high backs so each table feels like a romantic getaway. Service was great and the prices are very affordable. The waitstaff was friendly and courteous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameLive4yumVIPDined on 12/7/2013The food was not as good as I remember from my first visit to this restaurant. The last time we went, the waiter had recommended amazing tasting dishes. We thought we had ordered the same dishese according to our waiter but they did not taste nor look the same. Very disappointed.
- Nice neighborhood IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/23/2013Great people. Nice, warm, inviting greeting and service. Ate on my own recently. Took good care of me with 1/2 order of Dal (very good) and Rogan Josh. Will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will return oftenKensingtonDined on 11/20/2013Delicious, innovative Indian cuisine supported by knowledgeable and attentive servers. Loved every bite. Baby eggplant a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really, really tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013Had an excellent vegetarian lunch - delicious chaat and wonderful eggplant. The only sour note was asking for hot tea. They didn't jasmine and then I asked for green w/honey. They had green tea but no honey. I ordered the hot tea they had and he cup was small. When I asked for more tea they didn't tell me that would be another $4. Two cups of tea for $8 - I won't make that mistake again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craving IndianAlwaysOpenDined on 11/3/2013Solid Indian food with servers who were friendly and helpful. The food was nicely portioned and was delicious. I think I will come back for lunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013We hada crabing for Tahi food for quite some time and dicided to go for it and pick Benares randomly. We liked the location and the waiter and manager were very friendly but the best of all was the food. We order on the waiter suggestions and we loved our food. we were only 2 so could not taste more of the wondeful optons so we recommend to go in groups to share.Special Features:
- Decent Price for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/30/2013I like Benares for lunch and service is good. But the service is sometimes spotty. I really don't like how they deliver certain food such as the rice pudding to us - the waiter had his thumb in my bowl!!! This happend a few times.Special Features:
- Beyond ExpectationsDanbobfredDined on 10/26/2013Visiting the Financial District? This gem is a short walk from the steak places that pervade the area. Comfortable with beautiful colors and an attentive staff, the chef took exciting liberties with spices that we had not experienced with your average Indian fare. Lovely presentation as well. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great way to catch up.AnnieDined on 10/25/2013Benares is a great place if you are looking for some good indian food. The naan bread was unbelievable fresh and the meat was so tender and well cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodSirPoochalaDined on 10/16/2013I had different dishes this time - the lamb laal maans. Delicious! The menu still impresses me with the diversity of dishes and the service was very friendly and responsive. My friend had never had a mango lassi and the waiter made her a small portion to taste which was very nice. He also offered to make a half portion of the entree that she thought she ordered but didn't and then put together a great doggie bag of everything for her to take home, including all of the chutneys. Everyone I've taken here has been very pleased. This is definitely one of the best Indian restaurants I've ever been to and will be back many times I'm sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale at reasonable pricesLeslieavaVIPDined on 10/3/2013Good Indian food with some offerings atypical. We shall return.Special Features:
- Good food, service okayDelightedDined on 10/3/2013I went there with a group of coworkers and we ordered from the prefix lunch menu. The food was pretty decent. They could improve in service as we have to ask them a few times for our missing orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastySamIAmDined on 9/20/2013Nice decor/ambiance. The good was great with large portions. We ordered some samosas, a chicken biryani, a lamb rogan josh, a chicken tikka masala, a chicken curry, and some mango lassis. Everything was delicious but the biryani was especially fragrant and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.