Ben and Jack's Steakhouse 44th Street
219 East 44th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ben and Jack's Steakhouse 44th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benandjackssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2126825678
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We invite you to share in an unforgettable steakhouse experience. Our 44th Street location offers six elegant private dining rooms, which can accommodate from groups of 6 people up to 250 people plus. Our private dining rooms are ideal for both personal and Corporate occasions, large and small.
- Private Party Contact: Harry or Jack 8888118372
A word from Ben and Jack's Steakhouse 44th Street
Ben & Jack, long-time waiters of Peter Luger's Steakhouse, have opened a beautiful restaurant in the heart of Manhattan. We offer prime, dry aged porterhouse steaks and a dazzling assortment of steakhouse favorites. Our chef, also, comes from Peter Luger's. Frosted, etched glass rooms are available for private parties. All major credit cards are accepted. Visit our website and take a tour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ben and Jack's Steakhouse 44th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
- We will miss this restaurantFrenhsk8VIPDined on 12/31/2012We will miss this restaurant until they reopen in 18-24 months. In the meantime, we will have to try their 5th Avenue restaurant.Special Features:
- Quality of food and attentivenessMMoyerDined on 12/28/2012Quality of food and attentiveness of staff were still excellent, especially given the pending temporary closure of the restaurant. I look forward to its return in 2 years.Special Features:
- My husband and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2012My husband and I have been to several fine dining restaurants/steakhouses. This was not one of them. While the service was excellent, the food was average. Overall, the experience was good, but just not great. Atmosphere was cozy and friendly. The dining room looked a little tired. The bread was cold. My crab cake appetizer was cool in the center...and I suspect it was frozen. The menu does not list steak sizes so I ordered the filet mignon thinking it would be 6-8 oz, but it was at least 10-12 or more...this could easily be split with someone. Mashed potatoes had no flavor and needed seasoning...adding salt/pepper made a big difference. The dessert, however, was delicious. They have nailed the chocolate mousse cake!
- DisappointedDianeDined on 12/24/2012We went to Ben and Jack's for a festive Christmas Eve dinner. I was immediately disappointed with the lack of holiday decor and lack of holiday ambiance on Christmas Eve. I wanted to feel like we were having a special evening out. It was as if we just came from the office on any given day. The service was slow in coming, but once they arrived at our table the waiters were very kurt with taking our orders. Made us feel as though they were in a big rush. Two of our cocktails were not what we ordered. The waiters did not seemed concerned at all. The tables were too close together. Food was very good. Great Chilean seabass and sirloin.....the chips and onion loaf is better at The Palm. Will not go again.
- When I am asked about a resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2012When I am asked about a resturant the most important thing is the food and service. On both accounts you hit it out of the park. If I had one complaint it was the size of the mash potato dish. It was a little small. Being Irish I go to a stake house for stake and potato....the one supprize I did have was the cream spinach, it was great and I don't eat spinachSpecial Features:
- The food was ok but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2012The food was ok but the service stinks. The waiters were very unprofessional.Special Features:
- The steak was good; however,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/18/2012The steak was good; however, the onion rings were not rings just pieces of onions. The service was not what you would expect from a place like this. The waiter did not check on us to see if we needed anything. Will not go back.
- Always a terrific experience. OnjsmithVIPDined on 12/18/2012Always a terrific experience. On my short list of "musts" while in NYC.
- Outstanding service and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012Outstanding service and wonderful food. Everytime we are in New York, we make it a must to go to Ben and Jack's and it never disapoints.Special Features:
- Not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012We were in the city with friends for our annual Nyc Christmas celebration and we like to try a different lunch spot that is more special than the usual places that we would normally have lunch. I was let down from the start. The waiter brought us the dinner menu only ( we weren't there late it was 1:45). We had to ask for the lunch menu and he acted sneaky about it and we weren't too sure if he was trying to scam us or if it was an honest mistake. We ordered an appetizer of calamari that was average at best. We also had salads that were nothing special. Then 3 of us had cheeseburgers that we ordered medium and they were Very undercooked. None of us are the types to send food back so we made the best of it. Wouldn't eat there again.
- Food, though tasty, was warmOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/14/2012Food, though tasty, was warm not hot. Waiter forgot to bring out some of meal, but host helped him. Great Ca wine list. Great cheesecake.Special Features:
- Great steak house with manyMikeDined on 12/12/2012Great steak house with many other options. One of my favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent First time I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/12/2012Excellent First time I had been there for Lunch. Held up to the standards of evening dinning.Special Features:
- Food was good. Service isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/10/2012Food was good. Service is just fine, very friendly.Special Features:
- I liked the old mansion ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/10/2012I liked the old mansion ambiance, cosy, dark, wooden furniture. Reservation recommended. We had dinner at 6 pm with only few other guests, at 8 pm the restaurant was full. Service is well-timed, very helpful, attentive and professional, meaning they know well about what they are serving (not always the case). We had a very tasty crab-cake for starter, size just right. Then rib-eye and mushrooms, wine and whiskey. One side dish plate is far enough for two. The wine list is large with lots of affordable wines, by bottle and by glass. The australian cabernet was a very nice company to the steak. The medium-rare steak was delicious, there is nothing more to say.Special Features:
- Not that greatAlonVIPDined on 12/8/2012We waited for the table more then 15 minutes. Steak was less then average
- we selected the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/8/2012we selected the restaurant based on the fact that we were staying on the east side. Ben and Jack's steakhouse was excellent! The steak was probably the best I've ever eaten, and the side dishes were top notch as well. I will be back!Special Features:
- Very attentive staff and overallOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/3/2012Very attentive staff and overall outstanding from start to finish!Special Features:
- The food was not that great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2012The food was not that great. The Lobster had hint of an ammonia taste to it & over cooked. The Mushroom was not hot. Could not understand a word anyone was speaking (Heavy Russia dialect). The crab cake was too small. There rendition a of Qtr. slices of Iceberg lettuce with blue cheese salad was horrible. The filet was okay, but nothing to talk about back home. The oyster again okay but nothing to about back home. I wanted to bring it to the managers attention concerning the lobster, but decided not to. I just paid for meal and left a 20% tip. What a night :(
- Everything was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2012Everything was very good. The steak was delicious! The only issue was the mashed potatoes. The portion was small and they were quite bland. Everything else was fine. Growing up in the Midwest what is steak without delicious and large portion of potatoes?
- It was only ok. I've beenjeffDined on 12/1/2012It was only ok. I've been here before and had a much better steak. I asked if we could bring our own wine for dinner and they said ok with a cork charge, They charged me 35.00 which was fair. My steak was not as good as i had before. With so many steak restaurants in the city I feel they need to increase there portion size of the rib eye and getter a better cut of Prime.
- To me this is the best, mostOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012To me this is the best, most consistent steakhouse in Manhattan. The porterhouse has been cooked perfectly each time I've been there. The steaks are as good as Peter Luger and they a better selection of appetizers, sides and beer/drinks, and they take credit cards unlike Luger. This review applies to both locations.Special Features:
- We went for lunch during theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/28/2012We went for lunch during the week and I thought it was odd the place was empty. The food was not good and the wait staff knew it and tried to replace however the damage was done. With so many great steakhouses in NYC I will not be going back to Ben and Jack's.
- I would definitely go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2012I would definitely go back. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2012Overpriced. We were served two different qualities of steak on the same plate. Disappointing experience. Not worth the money.
- We celebrated my husband'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/17/2012We celebrated my husband's birthday, we had a great time, food was delicious and our waiter was fantastic.Special Features:
- The steaks are great. ForPippiVIPDined on 11/10/2012The steaks are great. For a change, I ordered the crab cakesand they were excellent. The servers are very attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Overpriced. Better steak canOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Overpriced. Better steak can be found at Applebee's.
- The food was delicious, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012The food was delicious, the service was great, we were never left waiting a long time. We would definitely go back. And I definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Steak for 2 was exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2012Steak for 2 was exceptional. Atmosphere is nothing fancy - old carpet, dated furniture and strange arrangement of tables - you go here for the food, and that is it!
- Good, but bland.DslCJ8Dined on 10/29/2012Ben & Jack's is good, but other steakhouses do it better; and at a lower price. Bottom line: TASTE was Ok. A 'clean meat' taste. But a signature steakhouse should have a signature taste. On this point Ben & Jack's fails as their meat is clean, but bland. Make sure you try their house steak sauce ... cause everyone loves ketchup! For a better meal at a slightly lower price point, and in the same general area, try Bobby Vans. Far a MUCH better meal at the same price point, try the Strip House!Special Features:
- Great steak and sides withLorscotDined on 10/27/2012Great steak and sides with excellent service. A NY must.Special Features:
- A Rare 'Ol Time at Ben & JacksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012There was a slightly hesitent welcome when we arrived as a family of four for a 7pm booking. Service was attentive but not overly friendly. Starters were served quickly and enjoyed by everyone. Wine list was good and we had a good red. Main course included 2 Filet Mignon steaks ordered "Medium". They both arrived rare except for 1/4 inch on the surface of a 2 inch cut. The server did take a steak back to kitchen for further cooking but it had already ruined what was promising to be a good night out. We would expect that a place that trades on steaks would know how to cook them perfectly each and every time given the prices. No excuses. We've eaten steaks around the world and know what "Medium" means.Special Features:
- We arrived a little beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2012We arrived a little before our scheduled time and we were seated immediately. I ordered the ribeye and my wife ordered the filet. Tne servers were very attentive and when the food came, my wife's filet was done perfectly;however, my ribeye was very fatty. I understand that there is more fat on this cut of beef, but this was over the top! Overall, we had a very nice dining experience and would certainly come back. I just wouldn't get the ribeye! John C. Penrose
- Hands down best filet I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012Hands down best filet I've eaten. Everything was top notch.Special Features:
- Great food. Great staff.Ted5555Dined on 10/18/2012This is the best steak place in Manhattan. I have lived here for 22 years and have been to all of them. We were there recently with friends from out of town here for a death in the family. The restaurant staff was so great about putting us in the back dining room which was closed to give us privacy. They let us linger for hours. I can't think of another restaurant that would be so accommodating. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A Quality NYC Steakhouse ExperiencePHenVIPDined on 10/17/2012I have been to this restaurant 4 times over the past 5 years when visiting NYC. The service is always first-rate--warm greetings by the owners when you enter, a vibrant, big-city atmosphere, attentive waitstaff team for every dining group. The steak for 2 is the best steak experience I've ever had, both the taste and having it cut at the table. My last filet, however, was not memorable, though the service was again outstanding. As my party's dinner conversation lingered past the 2.5 hours point, the owner or GM offered us complimentary wine and port. The restaurant is very expensive but worth the splurge when you need that treat.Special Features:
- I have been going to Ben andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012I have been going to Ben and Jacks for 5 years now. I would rank them amongst the best steakhouses, if not the best, in the city. I always do the Porterhouse, Spinach, and German potatoes. You can't miss with that combo. However, for an appetizer everyone should try the Ben and Jacks Salad sometime. Its huge chunks of Canadian Bacon, Shrimp, Onion, and Tomatoe served with their perfect Steak Sauce.Special Features:
- Overall, steak and sides wereaustxusVIPDined on 10/6/2012Overall, steak and sides were excellent. Great waiter. The only thing questionable was their "steak sauce" that really tastes like cocktail sauce and cannot imagine putting on a steak. Probably would go great with shrimp.Special Features:
- Food and service were topOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2012Food and service were top notch..celebrating in one of the private rooms was a great way to party..a very satisfactory dining experienceSpecial Features: