Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
255 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benandjackssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (212) 532-7600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:45pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:45pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
Ben & Jack, long-time waiters of Peter Luger's Steakhouse, have opened a beautiful restaurant in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. We offer prime, dry aged porterhouse steaks and a dazzling assortment of steakhouse favorites. Our chef, also, comes from Peter Luger's. Frosted, etched glass rooms are available for private parties. All major credit cards are accepted. Visit our website and take a tour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (54)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (38)romantic (32)notable wine list (32)neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (20)great for lunch (20)scenic view (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- Not bad but not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014I had 3 course lunch for restaurant week with my bf. Food was okay but I was disappointed with their service. The server treated people like robots. Just took orders and brought them food. That was it. It was like cheap restaurant service.
- Pricey but not worth itLuv2dineDined on 8/1/2014Went during reaturant week. It seemed like everything was prepared before hand. Bread was hard, mash & broccoli were bland, and steaks were just okay.
- GoodMmmmmmmb17Dined on 8/1/2014Service was very bad. When I got there with my friend. They told me I had to wait for my other guest, Even though I had a reservation. They would not sit us nor give us a menu. So I asked if we can be seated and she said sorry it's full inside right now. You can sit outside. What's the point if a reservation? So we sat outside, (asked the rude hostess first) and she said ok. We were sitting at the table with NO menus for a good 15 minutes and she never even acknowledged the fact we were there. I felt unwanted and honestly wanted to leave. After the server was like oh. Ok here's ur menus. Everything else was great. food = excellent. I had the 12oz steak. Recommend that! And my friend recommends the filet mignoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014Brought our daughter here for a going away dinner after her summer in NYC. The location was great, staff was friendly, food was great. Would definitely go back when we're in the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant week valueSJR1VIPDined on 7/31/2014I'll be glad when they move back into their old location as this one just doesn't do it for me...seems like they are slipping a bit. My slice of bacon for the appetizer was tough and overcooked. They prepared my girlfriends steak medium rare when she asked for it to be medium but that turned out to be OK since she enjoyed her Filet Medallions anyway. At least everything else turned out good. Service was a little slow but it was busy. I think the Restaurant week menu is a good value with many options to satisfy all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014Celebrated son's birthday. 12oz sirloin steak excellent value for restaurant week. Wine selection very good. Waiter and entire staff made night enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place and Great Servicechrbed20Dined on 7/30/2014Awesome Place and Great Service. The overall service was great and the food was delicious. The server was very polite and nice. They came around frequently to top off our wine with our bottle.Special Features:
- What a great birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014I had such a wonderful time at the restaurant. When I made my Open Table reservation I indicated in the notes that it was my boyfriend's birthday and asked if the cheesecake with a candle could be brought to the table. My request was granted and it made my boyfriend's birthday really special. The food was also amazing. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- The following 574 reviews are from the Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue reviews archive.
- Quite worth it.bigfoodieDined on 7/27/2014Had a restaurant week lunch for a friend's birthday and tried the filet mignon dish on the restaurant week menu and it was quite good. Friend tried the chicken and loved it as well. Dessert was good, but I've had better. Overall, the experience was good.Special Features:
- Great for team mealsAJiLVIPDined on 7/24/2014Came here for restaurant week with my work team- great place to go for groups as they have lots of large tables. Nothing too fancy about the steak, but it is good food and the service was great.Special Features:
- Working LunchRicecakeooDined on 7/24/2014Took a client here so that we could work through lunch. The menu was great, the service was attentive and the restaurant was quiet and easy for a conversation.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week MenuEnjoymyfoodDined on 7/22/2014The Restaurant Week menu gives a good variety of dishes to choose from. The steaks were generous and delicious, as were the salads, soups, and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse on Cruise ControlMontyDined on 7/22/2014I've been going to Ben and Jack's for a while. I know Ben from his days at Peter Luger. He's always been good to me. The steak here is still very good. But there are some cracks in the armor. The restaurant was not busy at all last night and they messed up the 2 steaks we ordered. They brought new steaks out in 5 minutes but we were skeptical they sprinkled cajun seasoning on 1 steak instead of cooking it that way. My buddy ended up being fine with it. The sides were still very good. Wine list is pricey and needed to be updated. Ordered a 2007 Super Tuscan and they brought a 2009. The same thing happened 2 months ago here. The bartender should have the ability to transfer a bar tab to a table, but they insisted we close out. Just annoyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOmyraDined on 7/21/2014Have heard so many great things. Glad I went. Amazing food. Had the Filet Mignon in mushroom sauce. LOVED IT!!! We went during restaurant week and will definitely return!Special Features:
- Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenueborn2eatDined on 7/11/2014Wonderful steak, terrific sides, great ambience, great place to eat.....I had an Italian dish once at Ben and Jack's and it was terrific. So its not only a steak place - - everything is great!Special Features:
- Great Steak!Bfalcon1VIPDined on 7/8/2014Never a bad meal at Ben and Jack's....great steaks and a wonderful wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak night placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014This was a good steak find in a traditional steak and wine night. Steak for 2 was really good. Service was attentive. Ambience was lacking but if that's not as important as the food and service then this place works well.Special Features:
- Great cut of meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014Went with a few buddies for a bachelor party celebration. The meat was fantastic and they treated us very well. The sides were average and the drinks were really expensive.Special Features:
- Another A+ Anniversary DinnerLifelongNYerDined on 6/21/2014We preferred going to the 44th street location but it's under renovation and our first experience at the 28th Street Ben & Jack's was less than optimal. However this time was terrific. We were seated in the main dining room as opposed to upstairs (a BIG difference). The service was excellent (as usual) and the food is always delicious. The 'cherry on the cake' was the manager, Adeem. He was gracious, solicitous, and funny. A very interesting man and made sure that we were being well taken care of and having a most excellent experience. He even bought us a round of drinks after finding out we were celebrating an anniversary. He was a big part of insuring we would make it back to the 21st Street location soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing filetMichelleVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our party of five was really happy with our food and service. Filet was amazing and I loved the veggies as well. Wine list was extensive and expensive! We found a great Malbec that paired well with the steak. Overall the service team worked like a well oiled machine, though we had to wait longer than we should have to get our check at the end of the meal. We really enjoyed it though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJaneneDined on 6/14/2014Great food, great service. Just wish the atmosphere was a bit more unique or intimate. We had the bacon appetizer, steak for 2, and creamed spinach + mashed potato. All was delicious. And our waiter was very friendly. Will return for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- fair in most casesMariahVIPDined on 5/30/2014my husband ordered oysters which were very good and he said that his steak, although flavorful was a bit tough. i had the chicken florentine which was fine although nothing spectacular. the spinach was out of a box i am quite sure. all in all certainly not the best steak in new york. the staff was very helpful and the drinks were good. one expects more in new york i guess
- TheCountDined on 5/28/2014Great selection of appetizers and steaks were outstanding. Would definitely return .Special Features:
- OkAroundTheTownVIPDined on 5/24/2014Being from out of town we make it a point to visit the nicer restaurants in Manhattan when in NYC. This was our first visit to Ben & Jacks. Service was great. Although full of flavor some parts of the steak for 2 were tough. The tail and calamari were bland. Idk I was jus expecting more. Although the reputation, I can't say Ben & Jack's lived up to the hype or that it's the best steakhouse in Manhattan.
- A great steak houseLovesteakDined on 5/23/2014Always one of my favorites. One of the best steaks in NYC. Consistent great quality.Special Features:
- The place for Steak in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/20/2014Hands-down, Ben & Jacks is the best steak in NYC!! It is perfect every time. Everything on the menu is prepared perfectly, and they are consistent with that perfection. If you are craving a perfectly prepared steak dinner, go here. Service is top notch and very friendly. Been a favorite of mine since they opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewBuzaoDined on 5/17/2014I have been eaten here for almost six times, this restaurant is excellent with everything such as services, nice environment and especially the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Harper34Dined on 5/15/2014The steak for two was out of this world. Great service. Noise level was moderate which I like. The peas and onions and Ceasar salad topped it off.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2014Excellent steakhouse! Try the bacon appetizer. It's to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedmusicgrrrlDined on 5/9/2014Ben and Jack's is just o.k. The service was good but at times a bit annoying. They were serving french style (putting the sides on our plates for us). I ordered the filet of sole - o.k. but a bit overcooked. We also ordered a side of the lobster mac & cheese - not good. The cheese seemed to be Velveeta. When my main came the server (without asking) put some lobster mac & cheese on my plate. The cheese ran into my fish - gross. He then proceeded to place onion rings on my crowed plate. I had to tell him twice to stop. One friend had the sirloin (she liked it). Our other friend has the scallops (good but only 5 smallish scallops). This was our first and last time here. Del Frisco's is the place to go for steak/seafood.
- Superb ServiceRonandLouisaVIPDined on 5/8/2014We are treated like royalty at Ben and Jacks ! It's Like family when you eat at this notable Steakhouse. The porterhouse steak is the way to go when ordering here,Dry aged to perfection ! This Steakhouse has all the sides you can ever want to accompany your dinner. Some of are favorites are the Blue point oysters and the Giant shrimp cocktail. If you can fit the desert the sclag is the way to go .. Just to mention Dino are waiter is the best you can ask for service !! thanks for another great dinner at B&J !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!DisappointedDined on 5/3/2014We are NEVER disappointed when deciding to eat at Ben & Jack's. The food is consistently delicious and the service is very good. They treat you like they appreciate the fact that you chose their restaurant to have dinner at. Always a smile and always a 'thank you for coming'. We love Ben & Jack's and it's our favorite 'steak' house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group dinner April 2014AaronZDined on 4/30/2014Multiple friends remarked that their food was excellent, better than Lugers, Wolfgangs etc. Big compliments from foodies.Special Features:
- ExcellentYankeeroDined on 4/30/2014Second time at Ben & Jacks and both experiences have been excellent. Steak knowledgable waiters make you feel confident of your decisions, and portion sizes are true to menu descriptions. Steaks seasoned and cooked perfectly as ordered.Special Features:
- Quality food and great serviceFlojoVIPDined on 4/28/2014Ben and Jack's Steakhouse is a really nice restaurant to celebrate a special occasion like a birthday, engagement or anniversary. The steak lived up to it's reputation and the seafood pasta was fresh and delicious. The service was very good. The waiter was very attentive. The pre-fixe lunch was a very good value since that was within my budget.Special Features:
- Nice eveningPlimmedDined on 4/26/2014Food portions were generous. Surf and turf was amazing. Highly recommend. Staff very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced and underwhelmedcrizmo12Dined on 4/24/2014Found this restaurant on-line and decided to give it a try. Wait staff was extremely courteous but far from "professional" in terms of menu presentation, specialties, etc. No big deal as it's the food that counts, but thought it worth noting. Ordered prime rib thinking that to be a safe bet. Steak was very tough and stringy - worst prime rib I've personally ever had. My wife ordered lobster and though not a large specimen it was nevertheless chewy to the point of being nearly inedible - worst lobster she's ever had. Should have stayed off the beaten path and instead found one of many little holes in the wall where a great NY dinner could've been had for a heck of a lot less money!!!
- Classic NYC steak jointToptikkaDined on 4/24/2014Friendly professional staff. Great ambience. Great energy, indicative of life in NYC. All tables full of people enjoying their meals. Best bacon ever!!!Special Features:
- Never againSydneySlingerDined on 4/21/2014Look the food was great, the service was great but I just get annoyed when a restaurant adds a gratuity for a table of two. If I thought their service was worth 25 % then they've done themselves a disservice. It's the customers call on the value of service. They never did this when I ate there in June 2013. What's changed? Despite the good food, I'll never go back here again.
- Disappointing experienceSaveurSabaVIPDined on 4/16/2014I went there with three business acquaintances. We were seated and then completely left alone, no request for drinks or any attention. Overall the food is adequate (my veal chop was full of fat) my friends filet migon was well overdone, he had asked for medium rare. One of colleagues didn't even eat the dessert as it was stale. To say that the wait staff was rude would be an understatement. I will definitely not return to Ben and Jack's.There are so many really good steak houses in NYC that this one is not necessary. Next time back to Vic and Anthony's or The Strip House !