Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
255 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benandjackssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (212) 532-7600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:45pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:45pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
Ben & Jack, long-time waiters of Peter Luger's Steakhouse, have opened a beautiful restaurant in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. We offer prime, dry aged porterhouse steaks and a dazzling assortment of steakhouse favorites. Our chef, also, comes from Peter Luger's. Frosted, etched glass rooms are available for private parties. All major credit cards are accepted. Visit our website and take a tour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)good for groups (50)fit for foodies (37)notable wine list (31)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (20)great for lunch (20)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (8)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- The atmosphere was invitingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2010The atmosphere was inviting and relaxing. The steaks were exceptional. We had one Medium and on rare, both were cooked to perfection. the mashed potates, creamed spinach and sauted mushroooms were a great complement to the steaks. Service was friendly and spacing between the starters amd main course was perfect. Would recommend to my friends and family.Special Features:
- Great food & service. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/6/2010Great food & service. The filet mignon was one of the best I've ever had.
- We had a great meal at theFoodGuyinLICVIPDined on 5/1/2010We had a great meal at the Ben & Jack's on the west side so we figured we would give the one on 5th Ave a shot. The room was nice and the service was pretty good (aside from the fact that about 5 oz of hot, sizzling steak fat oozed onto our table cloth when the waiter brought out the steak for 2), but the steak just came up short. We ordered medium-rare and some parts were over-cooked and some parts were under-cooked, and a decent percentage of the meat had chewy fat / tendons which was not that enjoyable. Anyway, next time we'll give the west side joint another try before we go back to the 5th Ave location.
- Peter Luger's is the standardOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/29/2010Peter Luger's is the standard in the area but this place ranks a very close second. The spinach was better here but the steaks not as buttery/melting in the mouth like Luger's. Over all though it was great.Special Features:
- Deserves to be ranked withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2010Deserves to be ranked with the other great NY steakhouses that we all know and love. This particular night, a Thurdau, the noise level was high due to a group of thirty-somethings at a large table near us. Service was attentive but not intrusive.Our steaks were well prepared. My table mate felt that his steak was a little tough, but I found them to be perfect. The sides were good too. We both will go again, the next time a "steak jones" hits us.Special Features:
- The restaurant was almostOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2010The restaurant was almost empty when we arrived for an early dinner by NYC standards (8:00 pm). A few more people strolled in as the night went on, but overall it was very quiet. The filet was great, but the "jumbo" baked potato for $5.95 was extremely dry and undercooked. Didn't eat much of it, and when the waiter asked if anything was wrong he promptly took it off the bill when I told him it was dry. The waiter was attentive and made the experience a positive one. Without him, it would have been average, and for a pricey restaurant like this, that would have been unacceptable.Special Features:
- I met some friends at BenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/24/2010I met some friends at Ben & Jacks for dinner. I couldn't have been happier with the expeerience. From the time We came to the time we left, we were treated like Royalty. The service was excellent and attentive. The food was great and the prtions were large. What more can you ask for. I would recommend this restaurant to all of my friendsSpecial Features:
- I usually love this restaurant,blossomsDined on 4/17/2010I usually love this restaurant, but my waiter was extremely rude. I don't think I should be treated any less courteously just because I'm younger and I didn't order any alcohol.
- The steak was cooked perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/10/2010The steak was cooked perfectly (yum) and the service was great.
- This is not the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2010This is not the first time I have been to Ben & Jack's and each time it is amazing. Steaks are cooked to perfection each and every time. But just as important the service is flawless. No grumpy Peter Luger waiters here, just serice with a smile. I highly recommend this restaurant for all carnivores.Special Features:
- Food was very good. PresentationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2010Food was very good. Presentation was good. Service was good. Nothing bad to say about this restaurant other then I would definitely go back. Food was comparable to other great steaks I had The sauce was exceptionally different but very good. Seafood was only OK, but I would say the Porterhouse steak all the way.Special Features:
- The food was solid: the standardOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/6/2010The food was solid: the standard steak, sides, appetizers that all the nice steakhouses have. The steak fit the order (medium rare) very well although the steak for three was a little small (appetizers are a must). The sides were solid, though not spectacular. The onion rings were particularly good (the batter was nice and light). Dessert was fairly standard, but satisfying. Overall, a very good meal but nothing set it apart from the other high quality steakhouses. The steak itself was a little small, but tasty. The service, however, was top notch--just the right amount of checking up to see how your meal is, while not badgering the table. Also, if the restaurant isn't busy, they'll let you stay and chat even after you've finished
- A friend who moved to NewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/5/2010A friend who moved to New York introduced me to Ben & Jack's, I've been 4 times now and can easily say that its the best steak house in New York and could possibly be the best in the US. I travel for business all over the US and have been to all the great steak places, I absolutely love Ben & Jack's.Special Features:
- it was a quiet Sunday afternoon,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2010it was a quiet Sunday afternoon, and the entire restaurant was empty, except for our table of 2. They put a noisy table of 8 RIGHT next to us. Very poor planning. The food was adequate, but not nearly the calibre of the Palm or Old Homestead. The only ameliorating factor was the handsome, charming waiter. Even so, I can't say I would go back.
- This is an excellent steakhouse.JerZGirlDined on 1/30/2010This is an excellent steakhouse. The steak was superb! cooked to perfection: two of us had steak for 2, rare amd 2 others steak for 2, medium and each order was exact! The service, the ambiance, unmatched. The wine list: very good. Frankly the service was so good it reminded me of my experiences in New Orleans and Houston at high end restaurants(Brennan's, Dicky Brennan's, etc). I forgot I was in NYC:) This has to rank at the top of the steakhouse echelon here in NYC.It's worth the money and a trip out in freezing winter weather!
- This my second time at BenAlexBVIPDined on 1/22/2010This my second time at Ben & Jacks and it was just as good as the first. Given the proliferation of steak houses in NY and the shortage of real prime meat, it's nice to see some consistency.Special Features:
- I went there on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/9/2010I went there on a Saturday afternoon around 2PM. It was empty...
- Best steak in NY. I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2009Best steak in NY. I have been to both locations and neither have disappointed.Special Features:
- I was disappointed with myOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2009I was disappointed with my experience at Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue. The service was atrocious. Our waiter disappeared for long periods and courses took forever to appear. My friend asked about the seafood platter which was listed as 'Market Price' on the menu, but when he asked the waiter what the market price was, the waiter didn't know and would have to ask the chef. 15 minutes later (no exaggeration) he came back with the price. The whole experience was like that. Our appetizer didn't come out for an eternity. The wine list took 20 minutes. The food was adequate, but our waiter made the experience an ordeal. Would not return when there are better options out there.
- Best Porterhouse I've hadAlexBVIPDined on 12/25/2009Best Porterhouse I've had in years and I've been to lots of NYC steakhouses recently. Perfect service. Our party of 6 was very happy.Special Features:
- We went at Ben&Jack in a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2009We went at Ben&Jack in a group of four. We ordered steak for 3 (rare) and one filet mignon (well done). Steak was good and well cooked while filet mignon was not, too overcooked to eat. Beaware that they serve portions of jurassic size, so a steak for two is more than adeguate for 3 people. We think the restaurant is overpriced for the kind of service and quality of food (we spent 50$ each just for the steak and fried potatoes, no wine no anything else).
- I live in Summit NJ I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/21/2009I live in Summit NJ I had 2 people join me for dinner They had said it was the Best Steak they ever had and I had to agree with themSpecial Features:
- Almost as good as Lugers steak.BradDined on 12/18/2009Almost as good as Lugers steak. Much easier to get a reservation and a more diverse menu.Special Features:
- I don't see the difference,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/15/2009I don't see the difference, but the two steakaholics that I dined with swear the Peter Lugers is better. I had the Chilean sea bass which was quite good but not worth the cost. My opinion is that it is highly over rated and much too costly for what it is. Dinner for three with tip was 430.00. We had two (90.00) bottles of wine, tap water and two sides for three people. No apps and no desserts. That comes out to 83.33 per person before wine for just food with no extras.Special Features:
- As a single diner it was niceScurbsDined on 12/10/2009As a single diner it was nice to get the attention that I deserved. The food was OK, this is a second tier steakhouse for NYC. I loved the big steaks, but does the sides have to also be huge? I was a single diner, so a huge plate of sides is not what I wanted.Special Features:
- Ben and Jack's is a solidOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/9/2009Ben and Jack's is a solid but not spectacular New York steakhouse. The porterhouse was excellent but the side dishes were weak. The wine list was decent and not too overpriced for a steakhouse. I'd much rather dine in Del Frisco's, Lugar's or even Smith and Wolensky's. They are all much more fun and exciting. But if you're in the neighborhood and need a place for a business dinner or just feel like a decent steak and a drink, Ben and Jack's will do fine.Special Features:
- A pleasant surprise - goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/2/2009A pleasant surprise - good food; good service; good atmosphere.
- Not a bad place, but veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/1/2009Not a bad place, but very expensive for the quality and quantity of food!
- i have eaten at the otherOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/29/2009i have eaten at the other ben and jacks and found the food just fine. This was pretty poor - there were 4 of us and the salad was way overdressed and i ordered tuna which was way over cooked and just awful. Unfortunately, none of us plan to return. sorry
- Our waiter was a gem. MadeLadyel1958VIPDined on 11/28/2009Our waiter was a gem. Made our dining experience outstanding. From the martini to the main meal would couldn't have been happier!!
- Excellent dining. Great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2009Excellent dining. Great food, superb service. Will eat here again.Special Features:
- Great experience. Will definitelyLBrownDined on 11/16/2009Great experience. Will definitely go back when I'm in town.Special Features:
- My rib eye was as good a steakPeterVIPDined on 11/13/2009My rib eye was as good a steak as I've had at any steakhouse in town. The salads taste fine but come out ice cold to assure that you know they're prepared in advance and not for this order. The decore (including a foolishly glassed in work station with coffee hub) is pedestrian...feels like a diner with wood paneling. Should put some management effort in because the steak is a top drawer steak.
- We found this place surfingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2009We found this place surfing the web and chose it because the menu looked really attractive. The whole experience exceeded our expectations, we're definetly looking forward to go back on another special ocation.Special Features:
- Absolutley fantastic 14 ounceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2009Absolutley fantastic 14 ounce filet. Dare I say better than Del Friscos? Yes I dare. Worth every penny. Would make it again next time I am on holiday in New York. Thank you.Special Features:
- I loved the service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2009I loved the service and food at Ben and Jack's. The steak was definitely one of the best steaks I have had. Our waiter were very attentive. This will definitely be on my top restaurants list.
- The food was amazing. TheRustyDined on 10/17/2009The food was amazing. The place was beautiful. I highly reccomend it to anyone.Special Features:
- We had been to the originalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2009We had been to the original Ben and Jacks location and we preferred the original to the new 5th Avenue location. The ambiance at the original restaurant was better. We tried out the 5th Avenue location because there were things on this new menu that were not on the original menu, but we were not thrilled with our selections. The 'surf' part of the Surf and Turf was very over done and not worth the money at all. The calamari which is only on the Ben and Jacks 5th Avenue menu was not special at all. The steaks and sides were terrific and the service was great. We had asked for a fresh fruit plate for dessert and all we got was some pieces of cantaloupe and pineapple, it was disappointing and boring.Special Features:
- I had a great experience atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2009I had a great experience at Ben & Jacks. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was top notch. I will definitely be going back and have already started to recommend it to my friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- A first class New York stakehouse.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2009A first class New York stakehouse. Tried the steak for 3, german potatoes, creamed spinich, tomatoes & onions and the bacon. Better than any I have had. The room is just fine looking and the service could not have been more efficent. These guys know their stuff. Key lime pie is sensational. Pricey but not more so than restaurants of lesser quality.Special Features: