Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
255 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benandjackssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2125327600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:45pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:45pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
Ben & Jack, long-time waiters of Peter Luger's Steakhouse, have opened a beautiful restaurant in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. We offer prime, dry aged porterhouse steaks and a dazzling assortment of steakhouse favorites. Our chef, also, comes from Peter Luger's. Frosted, etched glass rooms are available for private parties. All major credit cards are accepted. Visit our website and take a tour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (34)romantic (34)notable wine list (31)neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (25)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (9)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Mediocre, sad dinner.FoodieVIPDined on 10/29/2014Could not get excited about anything that was served. Steak was tasteless, german potatoes were soggy when they should have been crispy, peas & onions overcooked.
- My favorite steakhouseSevsinDined on 10/22/2014Love the food & the staff here. Everything was worth while. GoodtimesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeThesportsgeekDined on 10/16/2014Needed to take a collogue from Germany to a steak ace, we found a steak gem! Great food, service and all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovegreatfoodDined on 10/15/2014First time at this restaurant - looking forward to a great meal; very disappointing service. We did not receive two of the dishes we ordered - we had to flag the wait staff and by the time they got to us, we cancelled this part of the order. Dessert - requested a dessert menu which never arrived; our lunch did include dessert which we also had to request from the waiter. Restaurant was relatively empty with multiple waiters - not sure why the service was so poor, but it did not leave a good impression. I would hesitate to return based upon poor service.Special Features:
- LookingforlunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Ben and Jacks was a great place for a business lunch. Although there were not main course salads on the menu, they were very accommodating. A great place to have conversation, and not struggle to hear each other. It is a steak restaurant. The steak and shrimp topping our salads were all great. Avoid the chicken. It is not what they do best.Special Features:
- DissapointingEstebanDined on 10/3/2014I have been to this restaurant many times but the quality and service seems to be deteriorating every time. I usually order the same: oysters, bacon, porterhouse steak, cream spinach and asparagus. The bacon was dry and overcooked. The porterhouse was just decent, nothing to call home about. The worst was the cream spinach, totally blend and almost inedible. The service was lacking, our waiter seemed very busy and not always available. He was very quick in bringing the dishes, and the whole time seemed like they wanted us to leave quickly. With so many choices around NYC, I doubt I will go there again.Special Features:
- Not impressedTravelanddineVIPDined on 9/28/2014Our server was very disinterested and it was noticed by another table near by. The food was alright, not as good as you would expect for the prices. Wouldn't returnSpecial Features:
- EmmaDined on 9/25/2014waiters are exceptionally friendly with children AND adults :-)Special Features:
- Lunch at Ben and Jack'smumufishDined on 9/19/2014This is my second visit. the food is fantastic and the lunch time deal is great !Special Features:
- not aged enoughGfsfdinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014this is not the first time visiting this restaurants and for sure this Porterhouse steak does not have the dry aged mineral taste that it should have. it also consists of tendons that should not exist in a piece of dry aged steak. it is not tender or tasty enough compare to the many dry aged Porterhouse around the city's best steakhouses.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Food was excellent. For some reason the service was "slow". It usually isn't. I'll chalk it up as an aberration.Special Features:
- Best Service along with great foodchriscrashDined on 9/13/2014If the perfectly cooked steaks and top quality sides and appetizers weren't enough, the service is what makes this place memorable. I used to only go to the Ben and Jacks which is now being renovated and was happy to find that all of their restaurants put the same amount of effort into making their patrons happy. I plan on going back as soon as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- born2eatDined on 9/9/2014Great meal great time always want to go back! If you want great food great steak, fish or anything at all eat at ben & jacks
- Ben and Jack's Deliveredkeepit4realDined on 9/3/2014Hosted a good business dinner at B and J's on 5th. They gave me nice corner table as requested, service was excellent, and food was good all the way around. My filet was undercooked at first but they got it back to me perfectly very quickly. Group was happy with choices and ambience was nice - business casual and fun yet not too noisy or hectic. Would definitely come back and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itMssybrittyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Always enjoy Ben & Jacks! Had one in Scottsdale but is no longer there. Now we can't wait to dine there when we come to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so - sodon2Dined on 8/29/2014Very disappointed - no where near what old Ben and Jack's was.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2014Wonderful steak & shrimp dinner. Went with our 2 teenage daughters and they loved it as well. Will eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat...LfaltoprDined on 8/26/2014I came upon Ben & Jack's because I heard that two ex-waiters from the famed Peter Luger Steakhouse opened it. They actually have two locations -- one in 5th Avenue (which I always visit) and one in 44th Street (under renovation). The steaks are star in this restaurant and are exceptional. The appetizer are simply perfect. For example, the Lobster Cocktail is a whole Maine lobster tail and claws (A WHOLE LOBSTER!!!!) and the Canadian Bacon slabs are amazing (who does not love bacon). The wine list is well prepared and varied. It is not your typical steakhouse, it is a magnificent steakhouse.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Awesome experience! The service was great, the food spectacular ! Will go again!Special Features:
- Fine diningFreddyDined on 8/18/2014This was my second visit, and once again has impressed. I have yet to get a better steak than what they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing View!!gio05Dined on 8/16/2014Top notch steaks with an amazing view of the Empire State Building!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent, the service was not. The waiter never took our drinks order; when we ordered food, we told him what we wanted to drink. The appetizers came way too soon after the drinks came, and the main course was too soon after the appetizers. The waiter never came by to ask if we wanted something (not even a refill!), and seemed completely disinterested in us. I'd try it again if I knew I'd have another server.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceladyatemuDined on 8/15/2014The steaks were cooked to perfection, no surprise about that, but what I really appreciated was their service. The waiters paid careful attention to the smallest needs of every person in the group and that's why I give them 5 stars for service.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week MealsManhattaniteVIPDined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed our filet mignon very much. The wine was good. The fantastic view of the Empire State Building at night was also wonderful. The waiters could've paid more attention to we guests who were sitted outside, but we got everything that we ordered. Delicious. Recommend highly.Special Features:
- Wonderful Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/13/2014I dined at Ben and Jacks on Fifth Avenue during restaurant week. A quick walk from Penn Station. Had a drink first at the bar...many wines to choose from. table was ready on time and we were greeted by the hostess who was very friendly and inviting. Food was delish....noise level a bit high...but you are in NYC, what do you expect? Will def return.Special Features:
- TOP NOTCH!HoangDined on 8/11/2014I made a reservation for a restaurant week dinner. Arrived early and sat at the bar waiting for my friend. The bar tended was quick to take my order and extremely nice. When we were ready to be seated the manager sat us and even took my drink for me! they gave us a nice table and the servers were attentive and funny, which i loved because it just makes the dinner that much better. The food came out PERFECT. the crust on the steak was amazing. This place was recommended to me by a friend and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone else. Thanks for the great dinner!Special Features:
- weluvitDined on 8/11/2014we had a very good experience and the food was very very goodSpecial Features:
- ben & jacksPatandsueDined on 8/10/2014Food was excellent but the service was a little slow. We would recommend the small fillet and we will be back. It was a good find.nSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50/50 for restaurant weekchuia23Dined on 8/8/2014I wouldn't recommend the slab of bacon it was ok. The steak & potatoes were good. Wine was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyDined on 8/8/2014My friend and I had reservations for the Summer Restaurant Week prix-fixe lunch. We both had the filet mignon which was char broiled and very good. Very pleasant atmosphere and service very polite and attentive. This was my first time at Ben & Jack's but probably not the last; very enjoyable. I'm sure anyone coming in for brunch or dinner will experience the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidDJP56Dined on 8/7/2014It's simply a solid no frills joint, good booze, great steak, sides, dessert, and service. It's what a steakhouse should be...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!nycrestaurantluvrDined on 8/7/2014You wouldn't know it by just walking by but this restaurant is beautiful and quite refined. They have a fantastic restaurant week menu. I consider this a bit of a fancy place so getting what we got for $25 was quite the deal. The food, service, and atmosphere could not be better! I went with my father who said he might want to come back for his birthday! This place is a real gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant Special occasionsMartiVIPDined on 8/6/2014As always tender and tasty filet and sirloin steak , a very nice restaurant and very friendly waitersSpecial Features:
- VagitarianDined on 8/5/201412oz striploin and 8oz filet mignon on the restaurant week menu, nice outdoor seating albeit on a busy 5th avenue.Special Features:
- Disappointedmicheala1Dined on 8/3/2014When I reserved a table I made a note I would have my 6 month old. We arrived to an almost empty restaurant where the hostess directed us to the dinning room once we got there the waiter said he would sit us at the back which we had to stand while he cleaned of dirty dishes. Note the dining room was almost empty. Felt pushed aside. Salad was limp and soggy. Pasta served on a dirty plate the dish itself was so below average. The waiter never once checked on our entree's. Was not a good experience they didn't care to serve people for restaurant week.Special Features:
- Good serviceRainnieDined on 8/3/2014I went there with my friends and we had a great time there.Special Features:
- Not bad but not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014I had 3 course lunch for restaurant week with my bf. Food was okay but I was disappointed with their service. The server treated people like robots. Just took orders and brought them food. That was it. It was like cheap restaurant service.
- Pricey but not worth itLuv2dineDined on 8/1/2014Went during reaturant week. It seemed like everything was prepared before hand. Bread was hard, mash & broccoli were bland, and steaks were just okay.
- GoodMmmmmmmb17Dined on 8/1/2014Service was very bad. When I got there with my friend. They told me I had to wait for my other guest, Even though I had a reservation. They would not sit us nor give us a menu. So I asked if we can be seated and she said sorry it's full inside right now. You can sit outside. What's the point if a reservation? So we sat outside, (asked the rude hostess first) and she said ok. We were sitting at the table with NO menus for a good 15 minutes and she never even acknowledged the fact we were there. I felt unwanted and honestly wanted to leave. After the server was like oh. Ok here's ur menus. Everything else was great. food = excellent. I had the 12oz steak. Recommend that! And my friend recommends the filet mignoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014Brought our daughter here for a going away dinner after her summer in NYC. The location was great, staff was friendly, food was great. Would definitely go back when we're in the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.