Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
255 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.benandjackssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 2125327600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:45pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:45pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue
Ben & Jack, long-time waiters of Peter Luger's Steakhouse, have opened a beautiful restaurant in the Flatiron District of Manhattan. We offer prime, dry aged porterhouse steaks and a dazzling assortment of steakhouse favorites. Our chef, also, comes from Peter Luger's. Frosted, etched glass rooms are available for private parties. All major credit cards are accepted. Visit our website and take a tour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)good for groups (48)fit for foodies (35)notable wine list (26)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (25)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (19)great for brunch (9)scenic view (9)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Awesome experience! The service was great, the food spectacular ! Will go again!Special Features:
- Fine diningFreddyDined on 8/18/2014This was my second visit, and once again has impressed. I have yet to get a better steak than what they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing View!!gio05Dined on 8/16/2014Top notch steaks with an amazing view of the Empire State Building!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent, the service was not. The waiter never took our drinks order; when we ordered food, we told him what we wanted to drink. The appetizers came way too soon after the drinks came, and the main course was too soon after the appetizers. The waiter never came by to ask if we wanted something (not even a refill!), and seemed completely disinterested in us. I'd try it again if I knew I'd have another server.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceladyatemuDined on 8/15/2014The steaks were cooked to perfection, no surprise about that, but what I really appreciated was their service. The waiters paid careful attention to the smallest needs of every person in the group and that's why I give them 5 stars for service.Special Features:
- Wonderful Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014I dined at Ben and Jacks on Fifth Avenue during restaurant week. A quick walk from Penn Station. Had a drink first at the bar...many wines to choose from. table was ready on time and we were greeted by the hostess who was very friendly and inviting. Food was delish....noise level a bit high...but you are in NYC, what do you expect? Will def return.Special Features:
- TOP NOTCH!HoangDined on 8/11/2014I made a reservation for a restaurant week dinner. Arrived early and sat at the bar waiting for my friend. The bar tended was quick to take my order and extremely nice. When we were ready to be seated the manager sat us and even took my drink for me! they gave us a nice table and the servers were attentive and funny, which i loved because it just makes the dinner that much better. The food came out PERFECT. the crust on the steak was amazing. This place was recommended to me by a friend and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone else. Thanks for the great dinner!Special Features:
- weluvitDined on 8/11/2014we had a very good experience and the food was very very goodSpecial Features:
- ben & jacksPatandsueDined on 8/10/2014Food was excellent but the service was a little slow. We would recommend the small fillet and we will be back. It was a good find.nSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50/50 for restaurant weekchuia23Dined on 8/8/2014I wouldn't recommend the slab of bacon it was ok. The steak & potatoes were good. Wine was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyDined on 8/8/2014My friend and I had reservations for the Summer Restaurant Week prix-fixe lunch. We both had the filet mignon which was char broiled and very good. Very pleasant atmosphere and service very polite and attentive. This was my first time at Ben & Jack's but probably not the last; very enjoyable. I'm sure anyone coming in for brunch or dinner will experience the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidDJP56Dined on 8/7/2014It's simply a solid no frills joint, good booze, great steak, sides, dessert, and service. It's what a steakhouse should be...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!nycrestaurantluvrDined on 8/7/2014You wouldn't know it by just walking by but this restaurant is beautiful and quite refined. They have a fantastic restaurant week menu. I consider this a bit of a fancy place so getting what we got for $25 was quite the deal. The food, service, and atmosphere could not be better! I went with my father who said he might want to come back for his birthday! This place is a real gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant Special occasionsMartiVIPDined on 8/6/2014As always tender and tasty filet and sirloin steak , a very nice restaurant and very friendly waitersSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/201412oz striploin and 8oz filet mignon on the restaurant week menu, nice outdoor seating albeit on a busy 5th avenue.Special Features:
- Disappointedmicheala1Dined on 8/3/2014When I reserved a table I made a note I would have my 6 month old. We arrived to an almost empty restaurant where the hostess directed us to the dinning room once we got there the waiter said he would sit us at the back which we had to stand while he cleaned of dirty dishes. Note the dining room was almost empty. Felt pushed aside. Salad was limp and soggy. Pasta served on a dirty plate the dish itself was so below average. The waiter never once checked on our entree's. Was not a good experience they didn't care to serve people for restaurant week.Special Features:
- Good serviceRainnieDined on 8/3/2014I went there with my friends and we had a great time there.Special Features:
- Not bad but not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014I had 3 course lunch for restaurant week with my bf. Food was okay but I was disappointed with their service. The server treated people like robots. Just took orders and brought them food. That was it. It was like cheap restaurant service.
- Pricey but not worth itLuv2dineDined on 8/1/2014Went during reaturant week. It seemed like everything was prepared before hand. Bread was hard, mash & broccoli were bland, and steaks were just okay.
- GoodMmmmmmmb17Dined on 8/1/2014Service was very bad. When I got there with my friend. They told me I had to wait for my other guest, Even though I had a reservation. They would not sit us nor give us a menu. So I asked if we can be seated and she said sorry it's full inside right now. You can sit outside. What's the point if a reservation? So we sat outside, (asked the rude hostess first) and she said ok. We were sitting at the table with NO menus for a good 15 minutes and she never even acknowledged the fact we were there. I felt unwanted and honestly wanted to leave. After the server was like oh. Ok here's ur menus. Everything else was great. food = excellent. I had the 12oz steak. Recommend that! And my friend recommends the filet mignoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014Brought our daughter here for a going away dinner after her summer in NYC. The location was great, staff was friendly, food was great. Would definitely go back when we're in the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant week valueSJR1VIPDined on 7/31/2014I'll be glad when they move back into their old location as this one just doesn't do it for me...seems like they are slipping a bit. My slice of bacon for the appetizer was tough and overcooked. They prepared my girlfriends steak medium rare when she asked for it to be medium but that turned out to be OK since she enjoyed her Filet Medallions anyway. At least everything else turned out good. Service was a little slow but it was busy. I think the Restaurant week menu is a good value with many options to satisfy all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014Celebrated son's birthday. 12oz sirloin steak excellent value for restaurant week. Wine selection very good. Waiter and entire staff made night enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place and Great Servicechrbed20Dined on 7/30/2014Awesome Place and Great Service. The overall service was great and the food was delicious. The server was very polite and nice. They came around frequently to top off our wine with our bottle.Special Features:
- What a great birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014I had such a wonderful time at the restaurant. When I made my Open Table reservation I indicated in the notes that it was my boyfriend's birthday and asked if the cheesecake with a candle could be brought to the table. My request was granted and it made my boyfriend's birthday really special. The food was also amazing. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Quite worth it.bigfoodieDined on 7/27/2014Had a restaurant week lunch for a friend's birthday and tried the filet mignon dish on the restaurant week menu and it was quite good. Friend tried the chicken and loved it as well. Dessert was good, but I've had better. Overall, the experience was good.Special Features:
- Great for team mealsAJiLVIPDined on 7/24/2014Came here for restaurant week with my work team- great place to go for groups as they have lots of large tables. Nothing too fancy about the steak, but it is good food and the service was great.Special Features:
- Working LunchRicecakeooDined on 7/24/2014Took a client here so that we could work through lunch. The menu was great, the service was attentive and the restaurant was quiet and easy for a conversation.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week MenuEnjoymyfoodDined on 7/22/2014The Restaurant Week menu gives a good variety of dishes to choose from. The steaks were generous and delicious, as were the salads, soups, and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse on Cruise ControlMontyDined on 7/22/2014I've been going to Ben and Jack's for a while. I know Ben from his days at Peter Luger. He's always been good to me. The steak here is still very good. But there are some cracks in the armor. The restaurant was not busy at all last night and they messed up the 2 steaks we ordered. They brought new steaks out in 5 minutes but we were skeptical they sprinkled cajun seasoning on 1 steak instead of cooking it that way. My buddy ended up being fine with it. The sides were still very good. Wine list is pricey and needed to be updated. Ordered a 2007 Super Tuscan and they brought a 2009. The same thing happened 2 months ago here. The bartender should have the ability to transfer a bar tab to a table, but they insisted we close out. Just annoyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOmyraDined on 7/21/2014Have heard so many great things. Glad I went. Amazing food. Had the Filet Mignon in mushroom sauce. LOVED IT!!! We went during restaurant week and will definitely return!Special Features:
- Ben and Jack's on 5th Avenueborn2eatDined on 7/11/2014Wonderful steak, terrific sides, great ambience, great place to eat.....I had an Italian dish once at Ben and Jack's and it was terrific. So its not only a steak place - - everything is great!Special Features:
- Great Steak!Bfalcon1VIPDined on 7/8/2014Never a bad meal at Ben and Jack's....great steaks and a wonderful wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak night placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014This was a good steak find in a traditional steak and wine night. Steak for 2 was really good. Service was attentive. Ambience was lacking but if that's not as important as the food and service then this place works well.Special Features:
- Great cut of meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014Went with a few buddies for a bachelor party celebration. The meat was fantastic and they treated us very well. The sides were average and the drinks were really expensive.Special Features:
- Another A+ Anniversary DinnerLifelongNYerDined on 6/21/2014We preferred going to the 44th street location but it's under renovation and our first experience at the 28th Street Ben & Jack's was less than optimal. However this time was terrific. We were seated in the main dining room as opposed to upstairs (a BIG difference). The service was excellent (as usual) and the food is always delicious. The 'cherry on the cake' was the manager, Adeem. He was gracious, solicitous, and funny. A very interesting man and made sure that we were being well taken care of and having a most excellent experience. He even bought us a round of drinks after finding out we were celebrating an anniversary. He was a big part of insuring we would make it back to the 21st Street location soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing filetMichelleVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our party of five was really happy with our food and service. Filet was amazing and I loved the veggies as well. Wine list was extensive and expensive! We found a great Malbec that paired well with the steak. Overall the service team worked like a well oiled machine, though we had to wait longer than we should have to get our check at the end of the meal. We really enjoyed it though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJaneneDined on 6/14/2014Great food, great service. Just wish the atmosphere was a bit more unique or intimate. We had the bacon appetizer, steak for 2, and creamed spinach + mashed potato. All was delicious. And our waiter was very friendly. Will return for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- fair in most casesMariahDined on 5/30/2014my husband ordered oysters which were very good and he said that his steak, although flavorful was a bit tough. i had the chicken florentine which was fine although nothing spectacular. the spinach was out of a box i am quite sure. all in all certainly not the best steak in new york. the staff was very helpful and the drinks were good. one expects more in new york i guess
- TheCountDined on 5/28/2014Great selection of appetizers and steaks were outstanding. Would definitely return .Special Features: