Below The Radar
220 Holmes Avenue, NE
Huntsville, AL 35801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Below The Radar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.btrbeer.com/
- Phone: 2564696617x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thu: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Fri: 11:00 am - 12:00 am
Sat: 9:00 am - 12:00 am
Sun: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Wesley Walters
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Below The Radar
Below The Radar Brewery is a craft gourmet beer production operation, producing fine beers for wholesale distribution in the Tennessee Valley region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Below The Radar - Best Restaurants in Huntsville ›
Below The Radar reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)special occasion (1)fit for foodies (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Very happyGoodfoodloverDined on 9/7/2014My husband wanted brunch, so he headed to the internet and found a list of places in Huntsville, AL that served it. I admit that I chose Below the Radar because of the beer listing. We enjoy trying different beers and they boasted over 100 selections. There was a bar area, with a separate eating area for those who still wanted to hear the loud music. We were whisked down a long hallway to an eating area in the back under a large skylight, where the loud music was just a memory. There was flat screen on the wall, and the waitress was nice enough to ask if we wanted to change the channel and even asked for suggestions. The food was amazing and the beer we chose was excellent as well. Will definitely try this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Amazing beer listGretchDined on 8/21/2014Local brews. Great caprese salad. BLT sandwich was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavePVIPDined on 8/3/2014Stopped in for a few beers and had an enjoyable timeSpecial Features:
- Special Beer Menunsmz1VIPDined on 6/29/2014Was in Huntsville for the week, this restaurant/bar was recommended. We happened to be there when they had a special beer menu/tasting and while it was a little pricey, it was a nice change of pace. We would go back.Special Features:
- The following 107 reviews are from the Below The Radar reviews archive.
- Great beer but food is just OkBR01Dined on 6/24/2014Beer choices are remarkable but we noticed the food is mediocare, which is to bad since the place is vibrant. Been there 4 times now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousHappyDined on 6/15/2014Love the great beer list and helpful staff. Always a pleasant time. Thanks Krys for the great service.Special Features:
- Food & Beer OutstandingToddinDCVIPDined on 5/29/2014Food & Beer are outstanding but the noise level is deafening. It was hard to talk to the person seated directly across from me! But as the crowd thinned it became far more manageable and more enjoyable. Food is very good. Best trout I've had in a while. Beer is really awesome. My favorite was the a Black Shadow Ops. Noise level and all, I'd go here again just because of the food and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- educationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Please educate your wait staff on selected local beers. The staff could not infom me of any good light/mild local craft beers cause he had not been educated on them. Taste test is the best in my opinion. Plus you ran out of the on I was wanting ( Yellowhammer) Thank You
- Fun place to meet friends!Carrie95Dined on 5/6/2014I love the downtown location and vibrant atmosphere of BTR. The food is really good and the beer choice is phenominal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craft beer and good foodBigcoveDined on 5/1/2014The large selection of craft beer on tap is enough to recommend this place. Add in the great food and friendly service makes it a home run. The pub area can get noisy but there is a small area past the bar if the noise is a concern. The cheeseburger is one of the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite brunch spotirishmama2004Dined on 4/20/2014We dined on Easter for brunch. We had 3 kids and the waiter was so funny with them. The food was hot and fresh. The bloody Mary bar was super as always. No complaints at all. There are a lot of choices and the price are decent especially for what you get. We will be back for Mother's Day brunch!Special Features:
- Great beer selection. LikeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2014Great beer selection. Like the local options. Food is good, just wish the menu was a little more interesting/varied.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BTR is not as Good as it WasSuper8MateDined on 4/1/2014Seems not to have as good food as previously. The menu is limited and choices are eclectic. I would not recommend for the food. Beer is good though.Special Features:
- good experienceLynnDined on 3/25/2014Our ladies group went here for lunch and had a great time! The service was excellent. Our server was very attendant with all requests and letting us know about dishes. It was a very blustery, cold day and she offered us hot drinks as soon as we were seated. The food was delicious with ample portions and cooked perfectly as we requested. The chef even came to the table to check on our visit. Highly recommend Below the Radar. The only issue is non-food. It's the parking. They're working on the parking lot, so there's on-street, metered parking right now. I'll still make a return visit though, even with the parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big list of beer & wine w/good foodonebad70stangDined on 3/11/2014So if you want to try just about any kind of beer made this is the place. Pages of different types, flavors, and weights. AND their food was good as well. We had a table of 6 people and no one ran out of any drink and the waitress and waiter were quick to answer any questions that we had. I got a burger with onion rings and really liked it, and a couple of my friends got the shrimp and grits and cleaned their plates. The chips and salsa and queso were awesome as well. Cool place so i would recommend it to whoever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2014Had a great time at brunch. Wish the menu was a little bigger but overall the food was good. The noise level in the middle front room can be a little loud at times but, overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekly Trivia NightAmandaVIPDined on 2/17/2014My group and i keep going to the trivia night hosted by BTR and this week was by far the best yet! Great server and amazing service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was perfect3atLocalDined on 2/17/2014Food was great. I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich. Have not had one in thirty five yrs! Two cheeses, served with butternut squash soup and salad. Portions seemed small, initially, but meal was perfectly proportioned. Server, hostess and the chef genuinely inquired about the quality of our meal and dining experience. Beer temperature was perfect and the server picked the perfect beer after asking what kind of beers we preferred. So excited to support a restaurant of this calibre in Huntsville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Evening for DatenightRayGDined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed the service and the very tasty meal. Fun evening and ambience. Chef came by to check out how we enjoyed dinner. Very nice job!! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First LookBuddyDined on 2/14/2014Pre-Valantine seating was pleasant, not too crowded. Waitress was very pleasant and knowledge of beverage list (considerable) was beyond expectations.Special Features:
- New 'Go To' PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014This was my first time at Under the Radar and I was very pleased. Great assortment of draft ‘craft’ brews, very good food, nice atmosphere, and very capable service. Our waitress, Kerry (sp?), was excellent! She was very pleasant and capable, and definitely knew the menu and what brews went with it. I will be back! I may have just found a new ‘go to’ place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beers and service. AsJoelDined on 2/8/2014Great beers and service. As far as the food goes stick to the standard bar fare. Salads and entrees were not as advertised in the menu. If a seating preference is available don't get stuck in the back room unless you have a large group, not much in the way of atmosphere there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Good food and a huge wine and Beer list. Enough said. We also liked how they use local farmers for their meat and other ingredients. Very cool place. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good draft beer selectionbillreedredVIPDined on 2/5/2014if want micro brew beers, this is the place to go in Huntsville. great selection of draft beers, many from AL. food is good, most bar type food: fish and chips, wings, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happening!AlabuckeyeDined on 1/25/2014More upscale bar food. Enjoyed the tomato grits that were served with shrimp. The lamb shank was moist. I don't usually use salt but these dishes needed a little more seasoning. This placed was absolutely wall to wall people Saturday evening. Noise level is high so it's hard to have a conversation but there is a lot of vitality. A fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBrittainDined on 12/31/2013First off I am an idiot and got to the resturant/bar an hour early but the still found my girlfriend and I a seat. We first noticed that this is a bar that cooks food. This was New Year's Eve so the place was packed our server did an outstanding job I told her that it was going to take us a long time to eat because we were so early but I did make sure to tell her I would take care of her. We did find an an app. On the limited menu we then got salads witch I loved the spinach salad. Then for our main dish I got the special witch was an 8 oz filet with a veal reduction 3 large scampi w/mash potatos and grilled asp. It was delicious. Over all great experience we were there for around 2 to 3 hours but that was by choice so I tipped according.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionJoshDined on 12/26/2013I took my out-of-town parents and my fiancé to Below the Radar the day after Christmas. Below the Radar can be quite crowded due to the after work crowd, so it is best to make a reservation ahead of time. Sometimes this needs to be done several days in advance. The atmosphere is cozy but can be quite loud during the heavier trafficked times. We enjoyed the many varieties of beer to choose from but were a little overwhelmed by the selections due to some inexperience with the different types of beer available. If you are unsure of what type of beer you want to try, the service staff are pretty good at making recommendations, but it's not 100% that you will like what you get. The food is top quality but lacks variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJulieDined on 10/19/2013We've been here 3 times now and the food is always excellent. The service was great, she went out of her way to help me with my dietary restrictions (gluten free). They do mark the menu items that are gluten free, but may others can be adjusted as well. I we'll be back again.Special Features:
- Server was annoying came byAmyreyDined on 10/10/2013Server was annoying came by way to much and never had what I really needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchJanieBDined on 10/1/2013Enjoyed the New American meals that was offered. Great bar, with even better food, def going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerBigDawgDined on 9/26/2013Our recent meal at Below the Radar was my 46th birthday dinner. I made a reservation for four but needed to add two people a few hours before dinner. I called and BTR accommodated us. I appreciate that. The food was very good. We had the charcuterie board as an apppetizer. As it was a special occasion, I had a filet with a tomato rissotto and an arugula salad. Just great! I enjoyed the beer, the pïlsner on tap. It was quite loud on Thursday night but still quite fun. I like BTR and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants in Huntsville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night with the GangRBOYDined on 9/25/2013Had a great time. Really loved the beer and food. There was no complaints. You did a great job accommodating our party of 8!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meet & and Greet Spotmwb1266Dined on 9/23/2013We had a business associate in town who some of us have never met. Below The Radar was a good spot to have a relaxing meal. Since it's not a formal place, we weren't pressured into the common business talk. The beer list allowed us to have much discussion about our favorites.Special Features:
- The pork steak was perfectPeteVIPDined on 9/9/2013Well cooked and still juicy. Our server, Bonnie, was not only helpful but very knowledgable. A great combination.Special Features:
- Below the RadarluvthatchowDined on 8/29/2013My husband and I dined at BTR for the second time this week. Wonderful lunch and dinner! A happy place....energetic....really good service. We will definitely return!
- Good food, great serviceSuper8MateDined on 8/21/2013Good food, great service, poor parking, somewhat noisy. Overall very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not perfect - but better than OKhogtomDined on 8/6/2013Keep in mind that we visited "Under the Radar" during the early evening on a Tuesday. The food and beer were excellent! The service bordered on excellent. Our biggest objection - the place was loud from the time we walked through the door. As the evening progressed, the noise level increased to the point that carrying on a conversation with the person sitting immediately next to you became a useless endeavor. We'll go back - but we're thinking a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon might be more appropriate for our "likes" and "dislikes".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change in menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2013I was really disappointed to see how much they changed the menu. I have to limit my carbohydrate intake and they took off the spiced pecans which was the primary thing I was looking forward to during this trip. The rest of the food is still pretty amazing, but the old Menu was so much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLaddieDined on 8/2/2013The food is excellent, however the noise level is so high it is impossible to carry on a conversation. Perhaps it is a good place for younger folk to meet. There is really no parking, therefore, I am sure it is more for the working crowd or the Loft crowd who either work or live downtown. I doubt I would make this a destination point to drive in from Jones Valley to eat very often.Special Features:
- Great Beer, Great Food, Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013I usually eat here on my own when I don't mind the noise, but brought a friend on Friday 26 July 13. The beer selection is fabulous, and the food is always awesome. My personal favorite, and the favorite of my friends from Alaska that have come here with me, is the fish and chips. The cod portions are generous, the fries are well seasoned and perfectly cooked, and the batter on the fish is not overwhelming or overcooked. We had lamb chops as an appetizer on this visit; AMAZING! Well-seasoned, seared impeccably, and the bed of mushrooms and potatoes served as a great start to another wonderful meal. Bottom line, this is a good place for great beer selections, amazing food, just don’t expect to be able to carry a reasonable conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.