1400 W. Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellyqchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 563-1010
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Bar open till 11 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 5 p.m. - 11 p.m.
Bar open till 12 a.m.
Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Asian
- Executive Chef: Bill Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: ORDER IN ADVANCE BY PHONE, AND ASK ABOUT OUR SPECIAL-EVENT CATERING: 312-563-1010
- Entertainment: KARAOKE DEN
Leave your inhibitions at the door and loosen up your vocal cords! The Karaoke Den lives up to its name, featuring a karaoke player and monitor, plush custom-made lounge chairs, side tables, and a large tufted ottoman.
Stay tuned for our CHEF KARAOKE THROWDOWN's, where local chefs bravely toss their toques aside to belt out their favorite tunes
- Special Events: From intimate gatherings to karaoke parties, for business or for pleasure, Belly Q can turn an idea into an event you won't soon forget. We’ll help you customize your perfect menu while you indulge in a comfortable space as unique as the flavors that are served to you by Chef Kim and team. Let us be the inspiration—you enjoy the ride.
CONTACT OUR SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER AT: 312/563-1010 or jessica@bellyQchicago.com and let us design your perfect bellyQ event.
A word from BellyQ
bellyQ, the latest restaurant from innovative Chicago chef Bill Kim (Belly Shack and UrbanBelly), is an exciting new concept featuring Asian barbecue and seasonal, locally farmed ingredients. The Randolph Street space showcases Chef Kim's culinary talents with flavors that are rooted in tradition yet decidedly modern in taste and execution. Expect a menu that's smoky and bright, spicy and clean, surprising yet comforting. At bellyQ, Chef Kim crafts unforgettable flavor combinations that awaken your taste buds and satisfy your soul in a space that invites you in and inspires you to hang out a while.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
BellyQ - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
BellyQ reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)good for groups (80)hot spot (57)neighborhood gem (48)special occasion (44)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/17/2014This is my third time to the restaurant. This time was the first time that I tried the desserts and I have been a fool not to have done so before this....really nice soft serve desserts, can't wait to try another. However, was disappointed with the rib tip appetizer...not much to this appetizer and much of the tips were grizzle and fat...definitely would recommend against this. Entrees filling, don't really need an appetizer. Chicken was not as warm as I would have liked Disappointed in the size of the beer glasses as well, though the cocktail was mighty tasty Took a peek at the take out area and that looks interesting as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch for TwoBrunchedVIPDined on 11/16/2014Enjoyed this place a lot; the food was outstanding, as was the drinks and service. A place we will come back to. The food was very well cooked and plenty of it. The drinks were unique and very good, a twist between Asian and Latin American. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, the flavors are amazing!KateDined on 11/12/2014I've been to BellyQ many times, never disappointed. There is always something new to try , and the desserts....worth the calories! Great service. The noise level is tolerable, seating could be a bit more comfortable, but not bad. All in all, wonderful food, highly recommend BellyQ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant!CherylDined on 11/8/2014I've been to Belly Q and have brought numerous friends and it never EVER disappoints. It is quite possibly the best restaurant in Chicago since it has it all: excellent dishes, superb service, nice atmosphere, brunch, cool decor, etc. The executive chef is always visible each time we go--there are other restaurants of such caliber where one never sees the chef/owner. The servers are the friendliest I have ever seen and they are excited about he food and drinks. The Red Lotus cocktail? A must try...avacado hummus with puffed rice cake? Too die for...mains, small plates, sides, everything is memorable. The desserts are the best you will find anywhere and a rarity for an Asian fusion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Real DealmjeexDined on 11/3/2014Great service from knowledgeable staff gets paired with fantastic food for your enjoyment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JillDined on 11/2/2014Loved the brunch items and enjoyed the recommendations from our server. Very enjoyable way to spend my Sunday morning.Special Features:
- Nice concept, flavors just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014The decor was great and our server was wonderful, but the flavors just didn't add up. The pork belly dish has an almost "gamey" taste to it. My wife's salmon was extremely overcooked. Several of the dishes were overpowered by fish sauce.
- Chicago favoriteJCChicago2Dined on 10/29/2014This place is one of my favorites and I've been over a dozen times. They run a good ship and are nice and the food has so much flavor I keep coming back. I take a lot of out towners here to as its a good example of chicago restaurant creativity with the urban belly attached and a creative menu. Awesome drinks too. Can't say enough good things about it other than their other place urban belly is super special too. Oh and Get the rib tips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findnewtotownDined on 10/28/2014Nice find on the West side. Perfect place to dine before going to the United Center. Would highly recommend. And plan to go again.Special Features:
- Love the pancakes with bacon!NickEDined on 10/25/2014Overall a positive dining experience. It is a bit noisy, and one of the very creative cocktail recipes just failed to impress us, but apart from that we enjoyed most of the food very much, especially the bacon pancakes with kimchi and frisee. The restaurant did not charge us for the cocktail in question, which was a nice gesture. The waitress took great care of us.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food & Good StaffNancyVIPDined on 10/25/2014We enjoy everything!! Started with Chilled Edamame & Thai Chicken appetizers which were both delicious. We shared Short Ribs (great flavors) & Pork Ribs (were so tender they fell off the bone). The coconut grits were a highlight of the meal. The steamed buns were very light & good too. For dessert we had cinnamon donuts with berries which were served With a side of ice cream. The cocktails are very unique & tasty but a bit on the small side for the price. We are looking forward to returning & bringing friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd hit this place againTheElderFlowerDined on 10/24/2014The food, ambiance and general ouevre of this eatery was great. The menu definitely offered something for everyone one. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantcannikicks21Dined on 10/24/2014Very good food and awesome service. My husband and I agreed that we are glad we went and tried it out but there are so many other restaurants in the city that we probably wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014This was our first official dinner eating off the regular bellyQ menu and it did not disappoint. We have been here several times before and it just keeps getting better! Thanks for a wonderful birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and servicecvjbVIPDined on 10/21/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Belly Q, wait staff was phenomenal, made great suggestions and was point on with their service. Went to bar afterwards and enjoyed some great Japanese bourbon, coming back again!Special Features:
- Funky Grill TablesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014The awesome grills sitting at the tables is great, but we didn't use ours for brunch - so it blew cold air right on us and our food -which got cold really quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumDinner4TwoDined on 10/18/2014The food and drink selections very tasty, full of flavor and fresh taste. Service incredible, staff very attentive. Atmosphere great for gathering of friends. Location ideal for dinner before Chicago Blackhawks game, easy walk to United Center. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xixiVIPDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant was extremely noisy as sound bounced around and it was hard to hear anyone in your party without shouting. With all the write-ups, I expected better food for the price point. I am very obviously pregnant (8 months) and even told the waiter and when he recommended the duck breast and I ordered it, it came out rare. He never told me that the duck breast was a seared-rare dish. It attests to his lack of knowledge which is disppointing for this caliber of restaurant. I expected to give a good or very good rating, but for the price point, am going giving it fair and unfortunately would not recommend it as the food didn't wow me.
- A true delightallaboutserviceDined on 10/14/2014The laid-back setting provides a great atmosphere for grabbing dinner with a friend. It's quiet enough that no one has to shout to get through a conversation. The food was just outstanding. Such a variety of flavors and rich tastes - everything was perfectly prepared. This is not your average restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Had a great time. Good specialty cocktails. Enjoyed our apps. We all enjoyed out meals. Not my favorite salmon dish I've every had, but still really good.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerfoodieatheartDined on 10/10/2014It was a good first impression. First, I was happily greeted and able to wait at the bar while the rest of my party arrived. The cocktail drinks were creative and delicious, with just the right amount of alcohol. The food was superb. The Thai Style Fried Chicken appetizer was a favorite, as well as the Baby Back Pork Ribs, which fell right off the bone. I had the Wood Grilled Chicken, which was great, except it didn't have the peaches or corn. It was substituted with watermelon. Although, I think the grilled peaches would have been better, it was still a good dish. I definitely plan on making a second visit to try other items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed BellyQNoviceFoodieDined on 10/8/2014Made a reservation for 6 and we all enjoyed it. We had the belly feast, which is a family-style option. Definitely the way to go! Se reviews had said that the portions are small, but the feast option was not, and at a very reasonable price! Definitely good for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaii guestsBaseballDadDined on 10/6/2014Had friends in for a wedding. They had traveled from Hawaii and we wanted to treat them to a casual and tasty Chicago spot. It was the perfect dining experience. They were comfortable and the Asian flavors reminded them of home. Good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic chef; fantastic foodwowoDined on 10/5/2014Really the incredible tasty food is what draws me in. Other attributes are particularly outstanding, including service. I'll go back many times in the future.Special Features:
- Missed DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/5/2014Visited on a Sunday night, it wasn't crowded at all. Food was terrific, but timing/service was a bit off. Started with the Thai fried chicken - really tasty, just the right amount of heat - but our entrees came out before we were even half-way done with the appetizer. We had the tuna with coconut grits - tuna was a little bland, but the grits and veggies were delish, and the baby back ribs. Finished our entrees and just sat there...waiting... Finally someone different from our original server came by to check on us and cleared our plates. we asked to see a dessert menu and our original server brought it to us. We waited for 15 mins before he returned to take our order, but by that time we had to leave. Disappointing finish to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty DisappointinglaurenDined on 10/3/2014Everything came out less than 5 minutes after we ordered and all at once. So clearly the food is not cooked to order and also it made us feel like they were trying to rush us out. I was really excited about this restaurant because I really love belly shack but have to admit that i will most likely not return and wouldn't recommend it to a friend.
- Great mealJayteedeeDined on 10/3/2014Perfect dinner with all the selections tasty and cooked well. Innovative menu. Attentive staff. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not noteworthyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/2/2014I found the food to be decent but not wonderful. Items a bit over-seasoned or over-sauced or with a dominating flavor that should have been toned down. The sticky rice was a great example. The Chinese sausage, mushrooms and togarashi were hidden by the excessive use of shrimp paste. The red curry sauce with the pork butt seemed dominated by what I believe was five spice. It seemed like several dishes were on the verge of being hits, but lacked a cohesive combination of flavors. That being said, food was cooked well, though I'll also take issue with the short ribs being cut thinner than any other Korean preparation I've seen. Highlights were terrific cocktails and service. But in terms of food (even atmosphere), I much prefer Embeya.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/30/2014Loved the food, décor was great. A real gem for the West Loop.Special Features:
- Really liked the food - too noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014I would have given 4 overall stars, but it was too noisy. I don't really get why all the new restaurants - many of them being very good - insist on having a noisy environment. I guess it works for the younger crowd??? But here's a hint… those of us slightly older peeps who enjoy a hip restaurant with good food would return more often if we could enjoy a dinner without yelling at each other - Plus… many of us do have more disposable income, which might be disposed in good restaurants with a lower noise volume! Just saying… But if you are doing OK, good for you! I just will have to seek out those good restaurants who play alternative music at a lower level. Too bad for me!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/26/2014Menu seemed creative but the flavors were flat in all the dishes
- Excellent spot!shelman88VIPDined on 9/26/2014This was a surprisingly excellent choice. Food was incredible, service was perfect, and the atmosphere was really fun. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodfoodieMIVIPDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant had a fun ambiance. The menu is unique and everything we ordered was really good. Fun drink list. Service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open up your tastebuds.ChristobalVIPDined on 9/25/2014Whether you have been here before or trying it for the first time. Your mouth will water from the first bite of short ribs to the last bite of sticky rice. Wonderful Korean food in a great location with a modern decor that is alive and inviting.Special Features:
- Great food and service!ALoCiceroVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great servicein spite of our server having only one fully functioning arm. Get the sticky rice, even if you don't like mushrooms, yum. The chicken wings on the shared plates were fantastic, spicy and sweet. Got the chicken and pork butt for entrees, amazing sauces, especially on the chicken. The Chinese broccoli was good, not great. Sticky rice was awesome. Save room for dessert, the soft serve peanut butter and jelly was great! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchkatmobrienVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is my favorite brunch in the city--so unusual and delicious!Special Features:
- birthday dinnerJbjbDined on 9/19/2014Four of us went to celebrate my birthday. We enjoyed the dishes to share -- very nice flavors. The Thai fried chicken was especially delicious. We also liked the feta pancakes. Didn't like the wood smoked chicken as much because of the quality of the meat. Not a lot for vegetarians, but enough to keep the vegetarian happy. We chose a table outside and it was pleasant. We found the inside a bit noisy for conversation. No birthday cake but the dessert, pot de creme we chose to share was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something differentamandasam99Dined on 9/13/2014This is a great place to go for something different. The food was amazing and were perfect portions for sharing. Our server was excellent and attentive for a busy Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prefer Urban BellyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014We love Urban Belly. The food is exciting, beyond flavorful, and well-priced. We also like the atmosphere for lunch. But for dinner, we want to linger, so we opted for BellyQ. This was our second and probably last time. The food is good--don't get me wrong--but not quite as flavorful or "special" as at Urban Belly, and the dishes are so small the prices really add up. Back to Urban Belly we go!I would recommend this to a friend.
- miscellaneousDined on 9/11/2014I don't have anything to really write beside the checked off boxes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.