1400 W. Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellyqchicago.com/
- Phone: 3125631010
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Bar open till 11 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 5 p.m. - 11 p.m.
Bar open till 12 a.m.
Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Asian
- Executive Chef: Bill Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: ORDER IN ADVANCE BY PHONE, AND ASK ABOUT OUR SPECIAL-EVENT CATERING: 312-563-1010
- Entertainment: KARAOKE DEN
Leave your inhibitions at the door and loosen up your vocal cords! The Karaoke Den lives up to its name, featuring a karaoke player and monitor, plush custom-made lounge chairs, side tables, and a large tufted ottoman.
Stay tuned for our CHEF KARAOKE THROWDOWN's, where local chefs bravely toss their toques aside to belt out their favorite tunes
- Special Events: From intimate gatherings to karaoke parties, for business or for pleasure, Belly Q can turn an idea into an event you won't soon forget. We’ll help you customize your perfect menu while you indulge in a comfortable space as unique as the flavors that are served to you by Chef Kim and team. Let us be the inspiration—you enjoy the ride.
CONTACT OUR SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER AT: 312/563-1010 or jessica@bellyQchicago.com and let us design your perfect bellyQ event.
A word from BellyQ
bellyQ, the latest restaurant from innovative Chicago chef Bill Kim (Belly Shack and UrbanBelly), is an exciting new concept featuring Asian barbecue and seasonal, locally farmed ingredients. The Randolph Street space showcases Chef Kim's culinary talents with flavors that are rooted in tradition yet decidedly modern in taste and execution. Expect a menu that's smoky and bright, spicy and clean, surprising yet comforting. At bellyQ, Chef Kim crafts unforgettable flavor combinations that awaken your taste buds and satisfy your soul in a space that invites you in and inspires you to hang out a while.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BellyQ reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)good for groups (75)hot spot (55)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (43)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- xixiVIPDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant was extremely noisy as sound bounced around and it was hard to hear anyone in your party without shouting. With all the write-ups, I expected better food for the price point. I am very obviously pregnant (8 months) and even told the waiter and when he recommended the duck breast and I ordered it, it came out rare. He never told me that the duck breast was a seared-rare dish. It attests to his lack of knowledge which is disppointing for this caliber of restaurant. I expected to give a good or very good rating, but for the price point, am going giving it fair and unfortunately would not recommend it as the food didn't wow me.
- A true delightallaboutserviceDined on 10/14/2014The laid-back setting provides a great atmosphere for grabbing dinner with a friend. It's quiet enough that no one has to shout to get through a conversation. The food was just outstanding. Such a variety of flavors and rich tastes - everything was perfectly prepared. This is not your average restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Had a great time. Good specialty cocktails. Enjoyed our apps. We all enjoyed out meals. Not my favorite salmon dish I've every had, but still really good.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerfoodieatheartDined on 10/10/2014It was a good first impression. First, I was happily greeted and able to wait at the bar while the rest of my party arrived. The cocktail drinks were creative and delicious, with just the right amount of alcohol. The food was superb. The Thai Style Fried Chicken appetizer was a favorite, as well as the Baby Back Pork Ribs, which fell right off the bone. I had the Wood Grilled Chicken, which was great, except it didn't have the peaches or corn. It was substituted with watermelon. Although, I think the grilled peaches would have been better, it was still a good dish. I definitely plan on making a second visit to try other items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed BellyQNoviceFoodieDined on 10/8/2014Made a reservation for 6 and we all enjoyed it. We had the belly feast, which is a family-style option. Definitely the way to go! Se reviews had said that the portions are small, but the feast option was not, and at a very reasonable price! Definitely good for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaii guestsBaseballDadDined on 10/6/2014Had friends in for a wedding. They had traveled from Hawaii and we wanted to treat them to a casual and tasty Chicago spot. It was the perfect dining experience. They were comfortable and the Asian flavors reminded them of home. Good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic chef; fantastic foodwowoDined on 10/5/2014Really the incredible tasty food is what draws me in. Other attributes are particularly outstanding, including service. I'll go back many times in the future.Special Features:
- Missed DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/5/2014Visited on a Sunday night, it wasn't crowded at all. Food was terrific, but timing/service was a bit off. Started with the Thai fried chicken - really tasty, just the right amount of heat - but our entrees came out before we were even half-way done with the appetizer. We had the tuna with coconut grits - tuna was a little bland, but the grits and veggies were delish, and the baby back ribs. Finished our entrees and just sat there...waiting... Finally someone different from our original server came by to check on us and cleared our plates. we asked to see a dessert menu and our original server brought it to us. We waited for 15 mins before he returned to take our order, but by that time we had to leave. Disappointing finish to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty DisappointinglaurenDined on 10/3/2014Everything came out less than 5 minutes after we ordered and all at once. So clearly the food is not cooked to order and also it made us feel like they were trying to rush us out. I was really excited about this restaurant because I really love belly shack but have to admit that i will most likely not return and wouldn't recommend it to a friend.
- Great mealJayteedeeDined on 10/3/2014Perfect dinner with all the selections tasty and cooked well. Innovative menu. Attentive staff. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not noteworthyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/2/2014I found the food to be decent but not wonderful. Items a bit over-seasoned or over-sauced or with a dominating flavor that should have been toned down. The sticky rice was a great example. The Chinese sausage, mushrooms and togarashi were hidden by the excessive use of shrimp paste. The red curry sauce with the pork butt seemed dominated by what I believe was five spice. It seemed like several dishes were on the verge of being hits, but lacked a cohesive combination of flavors. That being said, food was cooked well, though I'll also take issue with the short ribs being cut thinner than any other Korean preparation I've seen. Highlights were terrific cocktails and service. But in terms of food (even atmosphere), I much prefer Embeya.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/30/2014Loved the food, décor was great. A real gem for the West Loop.Special Features:
- Really liked the food - too noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014I would have given 4 overall stars, but it was too noisy. I don't really get why all the new restaurants - many of them being very good - insist on having a noisy environment. I guess it works for the younger crowd??? But here's a hint… those of us slightly older peeps who enjoy a hip restaurant with good food would return more often if we could enjoy a dinner without yelling at each other - Plus… many of us do have more disposable income, which might be disposed in good restaurants with a lower noise volume! Just saying… But if you are doing OK, good for you! I just will have to seek out those good restaurants who play alternative music at a lower level. Too bad for me!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/26/2014Menu seemed creative but the flavors were flat in all the dishes
- Excellent spot!shelman88VIPDined on 9/26/2014This was a surprisingly excellent choice. Food was incredible, service was perfect, and the atmosphere was really fun. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodfoodieMIVIPDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant had a fun ambiance. The menu is unique and everything we ordered was really good. Fun drink list. Service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open up your tastebuds.ChristobalVIPDined on 9/25/2014Whether you have been here before or trying it for the first time. Your mouth will water from the first bite of short ribs to the last bite of sticky rice. Wonderful Korean food in a great location with a modern decor that is alive and inviting.Special Features:
- Great food and service!ALoCiceroVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great servicein spite of our server having only one fully functioning arm. Get the sticky rice, even if you don't like mushrooms, yum. The chicken wings on the shared plates were fantastic, spicy and sweet. Got the chicken and pork butt for entrees, amazing sauces, especially on the chicken. The Chinese broccoli was good, not great. Sticky rice was awesome. Save room for dessert, the soft serve peanut butter and jelly was great! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchkatmobrienVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is my favorite brunch in the city--so unusual and delicious!Special Features:
- birthday dinnerJbjbDined on 9/19/2014Four of us went to celebrate my birthday. We enjoyed the dishes to share -- very nice flavors. The Thai fried chicken was especially delicious. We also liked the feta pancakes. Didn't like the wood smoked chicken as much because of the quality of the meat. Not a lot for vegetarians, but enough to keep the vegetarian happy. We chose a table outside and it was pleasant. We found the inside a bit noisy for conversation. No birthday cake but the dessert, pot de creme we chose to share was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- something differentamandasam99Dined on 9/13/2014This is a great place to go for something different. The food was amazing and were perfect portions for sharing. Our server was excellent and attentive for a busy Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prefer Urban BellyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014We love Urban Belly. The food is exciting, beyond flavorful, and well-priced. We also like the atmosphere for lunch. But for dinner, we want to linger, so we opted for BellyQ. This was our second and probably last time. The food is good--don't get me wrong--but not quite as flavorful or "special" as at Urban Belly, and the dishes are so small the prices really add up. Back to Urban Belly we go!I would recommend this to a friend.
- miscellaneousDined on 9/11/2014I don't have anything to really write beside the checked off boxes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails, food, and locationDaniVDined on 9/6/2014Love the roasted corn special with the yogurt dip, the chinese broccoli, and the donuts. I asked for a side of homeade caramel with the donuts and I'm so glad I did. It was fantastic. I love the place, especially for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nailed it againPinotTDined on 8/30/2014This is my second time at BellyQ. The menu did not disappoint as expected. The waitress was very awesome and the desserts were ridiculous.Special Features:
- Fun and deliciousAnnabelleCDined on 8/29/2014This is a fun place to go with a group, especially with the option of shared dishes that you can grill yourself in the awesome grill tables. It's a pretty energetic atmosphere, and the food is excellent - interesting, strong flavors.Special Features:
- Homecooked with an Urban TwistmichaelaquanDined on 8/29/2014There are only two things I complain about whilst living in Chicago 1) the extreme climate 2) the lack of quality asian food. Well, I found my solution. Belly Q is everything that I grew up with in Chinatown to its highest level of quality and creativity. My waitress, Leidy (pronounced "Lady"), was incredibly personable and made the dining experience memorable. I can't wait to find a new reason to dine at Belly Q. Until my next paycheck, I'll be lingering in under the strung globe lights of the Urbanbelly patio.Special Features:
- Perfect for sharing with friendscab4dayzDined on 8/28/2014The service was excellent. The waiter explained everything on the menu and their special drinks. The chef brought us out an extra dish on the house. The food was delicious! Perfect for meat lovers and fans of Asian flavors. The family style deal is definitely worth it for a big group; they bring you so much food! Just when you think they will probably give you a small dessert, you are left with delicious house-made soft serve and homemade donut. Had a wonderful experience here and definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewNessaDined on 8/27/2014Pretty place. Appetizers we're great. I had the Thai styled fried chicken and rib tips as starters. Entrees are decent; I had the tea smoked duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatRunmegsDined on 8/26/2014Great job guys-keep it up! The Pork Belly was awesome and Justin, our server, was friendly and helpful! I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors, good portions sizessofiadujourVIPDined on 8/25/2014Goat milk feta pancake was a true fusion item, loved the combination of various milks and cheese with Asian sauces and condiments. Rib tips had a bit too much cartilage, but had great texture and rich flavor. Pork butt was incredibly tender and deliciously sauced. Roasted tuna is misleading as it is raw on the inside (just looks like a seared tuna dish), but delicious nonetheless, especially with the unique coconut grits - love this concept. Fresh shrimp gives this dish an extra umph. Fantastic short ribs. House-made watermelon rosewater soda had an odd taste - as though there was alcohol in it. Fresh Asian cole slaw and delicious Added Flavors (the latter should be larger, it's not very share-able). Soft-serve is a dessert must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CorckpOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Outstanding experience and food. Went for special occasion and sat at the BBQ table and split the pre-fix menu (DYI) and ordered off the menu as well. Food was outstanding and Chris our server was one of the best i have ever encountered. Cant wait to go back to BellyQSpecial Features:
- BellyQ Rocks!VidaliaSweetieDined on 8/20/2014I was so excited to get back to BellyQ this week while on business in Chicago. It's a super setting with scrumptious food, whether you go vegan or vegetarian like my dining partner or, as I did, go with Chef Bill's amazing BBQ and kimchee. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration!wedding2rememberDined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to BellyQ and was my husband's first choice for his birthday dinner. The unique combination of flavors and fresh ingredients create a meal to remember. Service was great, they even put a candle on his dessert after hearing me make a Happy Birthday toast. BellyQ is a must for folks with an adventurous palate.Special Features:
- nice but not specialm2speederDined on 8/16/2014The decor is an industrial chic look with lots of no-nonsense hard surfaces. Unfortunately, the grid table layout gives it a cafeteria feel. The noise level is high but not too loud and adds to the high energy level. I recommend the kale salad, rib tips, and fried chicken appetizers. All have good flavors. Generous portions too that can easily be shared among three. But the first two are a little too sweet and the chicken too salty. I didn't like the sticky rice, which had a weird taste to me. The steamed buns are just that. Get it if you want/need bread with your meal. The swordfish over pasta and smoked pork ribs entrees were nothing special and disappointing. Donuts/ice cream dessert was good, but again uninspiring.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect last-minute findUpstateNYfoodieDined on 8/15/2014To be honest, I found BellyQ as a back up when I was unable to get a reservation at another restaurant and they still had an open table for four... But what a serendipitous occasion! The food was absolutely incredible. I went with my boyfriend and his parents, we all ordered separate appetizers and shared them and it seemed like everyone genuinely enjoyed every single thing they ate. For dinner I had the tea smoked duck which was unreal. Even the beer was delicious! Our server was friendly and attentive. I have only good things to say about our experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belly up!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014First time for the four of us. Loved the experience! Wonderful service--not rushed. Terrific interesting food--a real surprise since we thought it was going to be just a "barbecue joint". It was an exciting dining experience. Plan to return to the attached Urban Belly self service for lunch and sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahmazing!CmathewsDined on 8/11/2014We have been here several times, and we will be going back again! The food is amazing (Thai chicken and ice cram are divine). Wait staff is awesome! We really love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef is outstandingJanetDined on 8/10/2014Creative and scrumptious sauces/ingredients compliment high quality meats. Each person in our party of 5 had a different dish and all thought each was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialAlwayseatenDined on 8/7/2014Nothing special, the service was attentive but food overly sauced and made more for a back yard BBQ then anything really creative