1400 W. Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellyqchicago.com/
- Phone: 3125631010
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Bar open till 11 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 5 p.m. - 11 p.m.
Bar open till 12 a.m.
Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Asian
- Executive Chef: Bill Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: ORDER IN ADVANCE BY PHONE, AND ASK ABOUT OUR SPECIAL-EVENT CATERING: 312-563-1010
- Entertainment: KARAOKE DEN
Leave your inhibitions at the door and loosen up your vocal cords! The Karaoke Den lives up to its name, featuring a karaoke player and monitor, plush custom-made lounge chairs, side tables, and a large tufted ottoman.
Stay tuned for our CHEF KARAOKE THROWDOWN's, where local chefs bravely toss their toques aside to belt out their favorite tunes
- Special Events: From intimate gatherings to karaoke parties, for business or for pleasure, Belly Q can turn an idea into an event you won't soon forget. We’ll help you customize your perfect menu while you indulge in a comfortable space as unique as the flavors that are served to you by Chef Kim and team. Let us be the inspiration—you enjoy the ride.
CONTACT OUR SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER AT: 312/563-1010 or jessica@bellyQchicago.com and let us design your perfect bellyQ event.
A word from BellyQ
bellyQ, the latest restaurant from innovative Chicago chef Bill Kim (Belly Shack and UrbanBelly), is an exciting new concept featuring Asian barbecue and seasonal, locally farmed ingredients. The Randolph Street space showcases Chef Kim's culinary talents with flavors that are rooted in tradition yet decidedly modern in taste and execution. Expect a menu that's smoky and bright, spicy and clean, surprising yet comforting. At bellyQ, Chef Kim crafts unforgettable flavor combinations that awaken your taste buds and satisfy your soul in a space that invites you in and inspires you to hang out a while.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BellyQ reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)good for groups (70)hot spot (53)neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (44)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (18)late-night find (15)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Nailed it againPinotTDined on 8/30/2014This is my second time at BellyQ. The menu did not disappoint as expected. The waitress was very awesome and the desserts were ridiculous.Special Features:
- Fun and deliciousAnnabelleCDined on 8/29/2014This is a fun place to go with a group, especially with the option of shared dishes that you can grill yourself in the awesome grill tables. It's a pretty energetic atmosphere, and the food is excellent - interesting, strong flavors.Special Features:
- Homecooked with an Urban TwistOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014There are only two things I complain about whilst living in Chicago 1) the extreme climate 2) the lack of quality asian food. Well, I found my solution. Belly Q is everything that I grew up with in Chinatown to its highest level of quality and creativity. My waitress, Leidy (pronounced "Lady"), was incredibly personable and made the dining experience memorable. I can't wait to find a new reason to dine at Belly Q. Until my next paycheck, I'll be lingering in under the strung globe lights of the Urbanbelly patio.Special Features:
- Perfect for sharing with friendscab4dayzDined on 8/28/2014The service was excellent. The waiter explained everything on the menu and their special drinks. The chef brought us out an extra dish on the house. The food was delicious! Perfect for meat lovers and fans of Asian flavors. The family style deal is definitely worth it for a big group; they bring you so much food! Just when you think they will probably give you a small dessert, you are left with delicious house-made soft serve and homemade donut. Had a wonderful experience here and definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewNessaDined on 8/27/2014Pretty place. Appetizers we're great. I had the Thai styled fried chicken and rib tips as starters. Entrees are decent; I had the tea smoked duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatRunmegsDined on 8/26/2014Great job guys-keep it up! The Pork Belly was awesome and Justin, our server, was friendly and helpful! I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors, good portions sizessofiadujourVIPDined on 8/25/2014Goat milk feta pancake was a true fusion item, loved the combination of various milks and cheese with Asian sauces and condiments. Rib tips had a bit too much cartilage, but had great texture and rich flavor. Pork butt was incredibly tender and deliciously sauced. Roasted tuna is misleading as it is raw on the inside (just looks like a seared tuna dish), but delicious nonetheless, especially with the unique coconut grits - love this concept. Fresh shrimp gives this dish an extra umph. Fantastic short ribs. House-made watermelon rosewater soda had an odd taste - as though there was alcohol in it. Fresh Asian cole slaw and delicious Added Flavors (the latter should be larger, it's not very share-able). Soft-serve is a dessert must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CorckpOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Outstanding experience and food. Went for special occasion and sat at the BBQ table and split the pre-fix menu (DYI) and ordered off the menu as well. Food was outstanding and Chris our server was one of the best i have ever encountered. Cant wait to go back to BellyQSpecial Features:
- BellyQ Rocks!VidaliaSweetieDined on 8/20/2014I was so excited to get back to BellyQ this week while on business in Chicago. It's a super setting with scrumptious food, whether you go vegan or vegetarian like my dining partner or, as I did, go with Chef Bill's amazing BBQ and kimchee. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration!wedding2rememberDined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to BellyQ and was my husband's first choice for his birthday dinner. The unique combination of flavors and fresh ingredients create a meal to remember. Service was great, they even put a candle on his dessert after hearing me make a Happy Birthday toast. BellyQ is a must for folks with an adventurous palate.Special Features:
- nice but not specialm2speederDined on 8/16/2014The decor is an industrial chic look with lots of no-nonsense hard surfaces. Unfortunately, the grid table layout gives it a cafeteria feel. The noise level is high but not too loud and adds to the high energy level. I recommend the kale salad, rib tips, and fried chicken appetizers. All have good flavors. Generous portions too that can easily be shared among three. But the first two are a little too sweet and the chicken too salty. I didn't like the sticky rice, which had a weird taste to me. The steamed buns are just that. Get it if you want/need bread with your meal. The swordfish over pasta and smoked pork ribs entrees were nothing special and disappointing. Donuts/ice cream dessert was good, but again uninspiring.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect last-minute findUpstateNYfoodieDined on 8/15/2014To be honest, I found BellyQ as a back up when I was unable to get a reservation at another restaurant and they still had an open table for four... But what a serendipitous occasion! The food was absolutely incredible. I went with my boyfriend and his parents, we all ordered separate appetizers and shared them and it seemed like everyone genuinely enjoyed every single thing they ate. For dinner I had the tea smoked duck which was unreal. Even the beer was delicious! Our server was friendly and attentive. I have only good things to say about our experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belly up!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014First time for the four of us. Loved the experience! Wonderful service--not rushed. Terrific interesting food--a real surprise since we thought it was going to be just a "barbecue joint". It was an exciting dining experience. Plan to return to the attached Urban Belly self service for lunch and sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahmazing!CmathewsDined on 8/11/2014We have been here several times, and we will be going back again! The food is amazing (Thai chicken and ice cram are divine). Wait staff is awesome! We really love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef is outstandingJanetDined on 8/10/2014Creative and scrumptious sauces/ingredients compliment high quality meats. Each person in our party of 5 had a different dish and all thought each was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialAlwayseatenDined on 8/7/2014Nothing special, the service was attentive but food overly sauced and made more for a back yard BBQ then anything really creative
- Blown away!NewInTownDined on 8/1/2014I brought my husband here for his birthday dinner and we were both blown away by the food and service! We were promptly shown to our table and our waiter, Zane, appeared shortly thereafter. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and eager to give us suggestions. Our drinks came out right away and we started off with the crispy tofu and pork belly spring roll appetizers. Those were on our table in no time at all and both were truly amazing. The pork belly spring rolls were crispy and tender in all the right places and the crispy tofu was topped with a pomegranate sauce that was to die for. We ordered ribs and duck for our entrees, also fantastic! Everything was cooked to perfection and beyond flavorful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great timeLernDined on 7/31/2014The food at bellyq was amazing. Went with a small group and shared a majority of items on the menu. Everything was good. Not a single complaint. Desserts and wagyu beef options were especially amazing. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK all aroundBlondeBombshell723Dined on 7/30/2014Overall the experience was OK. The food was OK. The ambiance was OK, and actually very noisy. The prices were high with small portions. The flavors aren't what you would come to expect from an Asian Fusion restaurant, needed more of a punch. Our service was good. I personally wouldn't return.
- Dinner at BellyqGoogDined on 7/27/2014Attentive service- didn't realize that there were two types of service menu within the same restaurant and the hostess made no effort to share - it was only when we left an inquired were we told - food was nice but didn't wow us
- Mmm at BellyQMBRLDined on 7/23/2014A friend and I dined at BellyQ sharing a variety of dishes (thereby creating our own version of a tasting menu). Every dish was wonderful - from the duck to the roast beef to the fried chicken to the variety of salads, each dish and bite had a unique and flavor filled note to it! Our approach necessitated taking our left overs which made for enjoyable snacking the next day. Yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Food was just not good. Tried 4 items all recommended by server and was disappointed. Stick to your fast food concept. Much better.
- Favorite Chicago chef did it againelsallydorDined on 7/20/2014Chef Bill Kim can do no wrong and BellyQ, his third Chicago restaurant, proves it. A must-visit for locals and out-of-towners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic decor, Asian inspired menusuburbanfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Upbeat, energetic restaurant specializing in Asian inspired BBQ. Some tables with individual grills, but skip the Waygu beef - fatty. Great salmon, interesting sides and slaws. Service was terrific.Special Features:
- fun and excitingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2014The food was very good. Lots of strong flavors. We enjoyed the goat feta cheese pancake and kale and papaya salad. The ribs were good not great. All of the sauces were robust. Most of them sweet and spicy at the same time. Maybe we should have done the prix fixe meal so that we could do our own cooking on our table hibachi.Special Features:
- Good food; cool vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014The restaurant is cool with a lot of funk. The food was very good and menu was short but great. I recommend the pb&j dessert!Special Features:
- Another wonderful meal!WylieseDined on 7/15/2014Third visit to BellyQ and I am more impressed each time. Service is attentive and casual. Food is top notch and unique. The Red Blossm cocktail might be my favorite in the city. And my favorite part their soft serve ice cream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Terrible ServiceBlueberryVIPDined on 7/13/2014So excited to try BellyQ. Arrived and was seated right away. Once we were seated and our waiter brought us our waters, it was 20 minutes until he returned to take our order. The restaurant was pretty empty. Our waiter Brett was more interested talking to his coworkers than attending to us. We constantly needed to ask the other waiter for thing. Too bad the service made us think twice about going back for dinner another time.Special Features:
- PLEASE come to NYAshleyCDined on 7/12/2014I found this spot through some extensive research before a weekend trip to Chicago, and could not be happier with the experience. The space itself is huge and well-designed. The menu is interesting and diverse, from apps to drinks. Among other things, we ordered the lamb buns and short loin, and they were honestly some of the best foods I've ever tasted. The vinegar were unexpected and different, and our waitress was super knowledgeable and personable. I cannot say a single bad thing about BellyQ other than I can't go to it unless I'm back in town. It was truly an amazing meal that will not be forgotten any time soon. Side perk: KARAOKE IN THE RESTAURANT. What?!Special Features:
- Not great for vegetariansChicagoVegDinerDined on 7/12/2014I have heard many great things about this place, so I decided to try it... Being vegetarian, I expect my menu options to be limited at a meat-heavy restaurant like this one, but my options were even more limited than I expected!! My friend and I basically shared two small plate salads, which were good but not memorable, and then one vegetarian entree, which was basically a fancy pancake with more SALAD on top. We also got the vegetarian rolls, which were essentially plain bread. When I told the server I was vegetarian, he kind of gave me a look like, "oh wow, that's gonna be tough here..." I was surprised to have this kind of experience in Chicago. I would have tried the vegetarian soup if it were not 80 degrees outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MustWeRnotkidsanymoreDined on 7/12/2014If you do not have the fried tofu your life will be less fulfilled. We shared some starters including the fried tofu and the rib ends. Rib ends=meat candy. We also ordered several sides and one main dish. We did not order too much food, we did not have enough people. Everything was terrific including the staff and the drinks. This was our first trip to Chicago. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but overpriced.cmacalusoDined on 7/8/2014I am usually not a fan of Korean BBQ but I fully appreciated the tasting menu. The mushrooms were absolutely delicious and so was all the meat and the sides. The food is surely a 5-stars and service was very good, too. However, we paid more than 200$ as a couple and I felt that was too much. The tasting menu is 60$ each so the rest was all drinks: a (average) cocktail, a beer, a not-so-good limoncello and a Japanese scotch that was "fair": really 20$ a piece? Mmm. I enjoyed the evening and the food but I probably won't be back because I don't like to pay 20$ for a cocktail with a sesame leaf, a lot of sugar and almost no alcohol in it. Also, finding a cab in the area is surprisingly hard. Inconvenient.Special Features:
- over priced small portions noisyanubis72VIPDined on 7/5/2014Small portions and overpriced. Also noisy and hard to hear.Special Features:
- Underwhelming Contemporary FictionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/30/2014The concept behind Belly Q is exciting however the execution on that concept leaves much to be desired. If you're a fortified foodie, this place will fall well below the expectation set. If you just like to eat different things, then you may be excited, but not if you've actually tasted contemporary Asian fusion meals or had actual Korean BBQ. The thing that was surprisingly good was the sticky rice, which is a take on Korean jambalaya & fried rice. We had the grill feast, which consists of really great cuts of meat that serve as the only gem of the dining experience, except that the contemporary fusion is reliant on your use of your own seasoning of the meat with seasonings that are to put it simple, ok.
- Fabulous family dinnerRobertoDined on 6/28/2014We had a terrific dinner at BellyQ Saturday night. We had reservations for 8:30, got there early and were seated just about the time of our reservation. We had a wonderful server named Selina. She took very good care of our party which consisted of myself, my wife and our 2 teenage sons. She fully explained the menu, answered our questions and coursed our meal for us. Lots to share, plenty to go around. It was a wonderful way to end our week long visit to Chicago, we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- AmazingAtetoomuchDined on 6/28/2014This place is fantastic! So many different flavors and such a great time! I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pairing of food and serviceByrdtc99Dined on 6/27/2014Innovative menu with unexpected but awesome combinations of flavor. Both the presentation and taste of food was excellent. The most memorable dish was the special watermelon and tomato salad with pesto, Parmesan. Cilantro and lime - fresh and delicious. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable friendly and helpful, making it a very memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DMMdVIPDined on 6/27/2014Imaginative, creative, well-prepared food. On paper some of the combinations sound strange but they work, with a good blend of flavors that complement each other. My nephew is in the restaurant business in Chicago and he recommended Belly Q when I was visiting; I definitely would return on my next trip to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vmwall72Dined on 6/27/2014I almost didnt book a table because of a lot of negative reviews regarding service. I am delighted that I took a chance. Our waiter Zane was just great, with excellent recommendations and attention to us. Everything we had was fantastic...the potatoes even merit a special mention..from an Irish person...lamb satay was delicious. Wine delectable. Make sure to leave room for dessert...donuts with house made soft serve...PB+J sundae?!!! I cant wait to go back!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014The food was boring, all of the same flavor profile and overwhelmingly disappointing.